Protein Coffee Drink Mix Reviews

By: Muscle Nutrition

Protein > Blended Protein
Protein Coffee Drink Mix is a Blended Protein Powder manufactured by Muscle Nutrition. It contains a blend of different types of protein and will promote lean muscle mass and fat loss.

December 10, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Benefits Of Whey Protein And A Cup Of Joe
  • Convenient
  • Good Mixability

I'm always trying to up my protein intake; I'm also struggling to stay awake far too often. Could this be my stone for killing two birds? That was my hope when I picked it up on the TROOPs Dash and I'm glad to say it didn't disappoint. It's versatile and handy to have around. Thanks to Muscle Nutrition for letting me give it a shot!

Hi Everyone- As I mentioned in the summary, I often find myself struggling to hit my macros and also to stay awake-- particularly at the end of the day. This product looked like it could help me in both categories so I decided to give it a go. It isn't the first protein + caffeine combo I've used, but it may have proven itself to be the most effective. It boasts a respectable ingredient panel along with easy to follow macros that will fit easily into most regiments. Let's see how it did...

Protein Coffee Drink Mix's (creative name) ingredient panel is interesting and handy. In each serving you get 20g of protein and only 2.5g of fat (.5 saturated), 7g of carbs, and 3g of sugar (0g added)-- all within 130k/cal total. Each scoop also hits you with 120mg of caffeine-- the equivalent of about 2 cups of coffee! If that wasn't enough already, you also have a panel of vitamins and minerals to go with it all. None of these are worth going into depth on since they are all 30% of your daily recommended intake or less (most are 20%), but it's a well rounded panel nonetheless.

What I really appreciated was that the first three ingredient are whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and coffee. There was no soy in this product besides the lecithin. If they used soy protein it would be game over, but instead they invested in quality ingredients. Kudos there.

This is sweetened with sucralose, which I prefer, but many others avoid.

The taste of this was pretty great. When mixed on its own it could sometimes taste a bit chemical-ly but not overbearingly so. Mixability overall was very good and only resulted in small chunks when done in a shaker.

The best preparation method for this seemed to be adding it to milk and ice in the blender. The result was arguably indistinguishable from a Frappuccino. ... I think. I don't drink very many Frappuccinos, but I imagine them to be sweet and easy on the palate... like this.

Other ways I prepped it were with a scoop of chocolate casein and another time with a scoop of salted caramel whey. When prepared as written above, these recipes were all quite tasty.

This is the 3rd or 4th protein/caffeine combo I've used. I'd say it actually takes the crown of them all. This would actually provide me a boost in energy whereas others struggled in that department. Also, the fact that isolate is the primary ingredient makes it a really clean way to up my protein intake. I could never use this as a sole protein source and therefore can't attest to it's individual impact on muscle growth and DOMs, but in the scheme of tracking how much protein I'm ingesting, this made it easier and tastier than normal.

The best price I could find this was for $29.99 plus $15.99 for shipping from Amazon. That's really a nonstarter for me considering you're only getting 14 servings. If it were free shipping I might be able to justify the price there since it provides more than your standard cup of coffee and would then cost about the same, but at $45... I can't. This product is very hard to find though, and maybe once it's proliferated a bit you'll see the price drop accordingly.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I say give it a shot if you can find it without the shipping charge. As far as protein coffee goes this one is great, and it's an awesome follow up to a morning lift or a great way to fit in some macros + energy in the afternoon. The taste is superb and won't leave you unhappy.

Thanks again to Muscle Nutrition for sending this out!

November 17, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Benefits Of Whey Protein And A Cup Of Joe
  • Convenient
  • Burnt Aftertaste

If you like iced coffee, then you'll probably like this product. It tastes like coffee. It is caffeinated. The only potential downside is that it has a bit of a burnt aftertaste (kind of like toffee), and it's a little pricey.

On most days, I have coffee and I have a protein shake, so I figured why not combine the two and try out a caffeinated protein product. It would save me some time in the morning.

I go to the gym at 5AM, get home around 6:30-7 when I have my shake, and then am at work by 8AM. While I was using this product, I didn't drink any coffee or use any other caffeinated products.

This product is a mix of whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate. I don't know how much of each is in the product. I also don't know what kind of wpc and wpi are being used.

The product says it has 0g trans fat, but alas, that doesn't actually mean there is no trans fat in the product. The FDA allows products to say 0g trans fat as long as there is less than .5g in a serving (they can round down). What is more concerning, though, is that the product has mono and di glycerides which can be trans fat, but don't have to be listed as such because the FDA defines fats as triglycerides.

1 scoop is 130 calories, and gives us 20g protein, 7g carbs (1 fiber, 3 sugar) and 2.5g fat (.5g saturated fat). There is also 135mg sodium, 30mg cholesterol, and nearly two dozen vitamins/minerals, Vitamin D, iron, etc. There is also no added sugar in the product, and 1 serving has 120mg caffeine (an 8oz cup of coffee has about 95mg caffeine).

The taste was pretty decent, 7.5/10. The only ding I give it is the burnt aftertaste. It reminded me of burnt toffee, without the actual toffee flavor. It tasted like the sugar in the product was over-caramelized.

The mixability was pretty good. There was a little clumping but not too much.

I used 1 scoop at a time and would mix it with Fairlife most of the time (although I did try it with water). I used a food scale to make sure I got a serving. I found the scoop slightly too big.

I train fasted, so I always had my protein shake when I got home after my workout. I found that the caffeine would kick in rather quickly, and I had a nice boost of energy to get me started when I got to work.

I didn't see any performance or body composition changes while I was using this product, but I finished it in about three weeks, so I wouldn't expect to see any changes in such a short time.

This product is on the expensive side. 1 tub is $30, and only has 14 servings, so we're looking at over $2/serving. I took a look at some other protein coffee products to see how this one compared, and I found similar products for $1.35-$1.8/serving.

I could only find this product in one store, which is probably why it costs more than its competitors. If it can get wider availability, the price can come down a bit, and it would be a more competitive product.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I liked this product, but I didn't love it. If the burnt after taste went away, and the price came down a bit, I'd likely get another tub to keep in my rotation. This probably wouldn't be a daily staple for me.
  • Coffee: 7/10

November 16, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Good Mixability
  • Convenient
  • Benefits Of Whey Protein And A Cup Of Joe
  • Needs More Servings

Muscle Nutrition Protein Coffee Drink Mix gives you a good helping of high quality whey, while also supplementing you with plenty of essential other nutrients. The added caffeine is a great bous to help give you a good energy boost when you need. The price though is something that is not a welcome sight.

A special thanks to Muscle Nutrition for their participation here on SR.com. Also, an apology for the tardiness of the review. Today, I discuss Protein Coffee Drink Mix. As the supplement industry's most dominant and widely used category of products, protein supplements have made their way into every fitness buff's regimen at one point or another. It's a great way to help keep your macros in check and support all goals. Every now and then, there comes a product with some nice added bonuses. Such bonuses may include the addition of caffeine, multiple protein sources, or some added digestive enzymes. Truth be told, good 'ol classic whey will always be around.

In the meantime, let's see how Protein Coffee Drink Mix stands up....

Each single scoop serving provides the following:

Firstly, each serving clocks in at 130 calories. In addition, we have 2.5g of total fat, 7g of carbs, and 3g of sugar. You also get a good amount of other essential vitamins and minerals.

Second, each serving provides 120mg of caffeine.

Lastly, the total protein serving is 20g in the form of whey protein.

In summary, we have a special protein supplement with some nice extras and doesn't have any unnecessary fats, sugars, unfavorable carbs, or sodium.

This has one flavor, which is a classic iced coffee flavor with a pleasant mocha-like added aroma. I found it to be very good in water, but it was especially good in milk and almond milk. I mixed it with chocolate whole milk at one instance and it was a true preparation of deliciousness.

It mixed fully and thoroughly in all liquids and methods without clumps or any other problems.

Being that this had caffeine, I had to be more prudent and flexible on when I used a serving since I didn't want to overdo my stim intake as added from other sources such as coffee or pre workouts. Also, I want to note that I did not take this every consecutive day during my duration of using the product. Therefore, it lasted me close to three weeks as opposed to two weeks given the 14 servings in each tub. Still, I wanted to take full advantage of the caffeine kick. On weekdays, I would take a serving in the morning mixed with either water, milk, or almond milk before my workshifts. I did not take it on weekends since I have weekends off. With the exception of one day where I had to work an overnight shift, I had to make sure not to take this too close to bedtime since the caffeine would interrupt my sleep.

First I will discuss the energy aspect. The "pick me up" I got from the caffeine was a much welcomed benefits as it helped me get through my workshifts more efficiently. In addition, the energy also helped me feel more "primed" for my training sessions later in the day.

Second I will discuss the general protein aspect. As I would want from protein supplements, Protein Coffee Drink Mix helped reduce the morning DOMS and lethargy I would experience in the mornings following previous day intense training sessions. It also helped prolong my satiety through the day, helping my energy stay consistent an reducing my likelihood of unnecessary snacking if the pangs did hit. This I especially liked because when working in Healthcare, these hunger pangs are not only bothersome, but are also unpredictable since you don't focus on such a thing.

This is where the product takes a significant hit. Firstly, when I was researching the value, I noticed when clicking on the link that connects to Muscle Nutrition's direct page to Protein Coffee Drink Mix, the product was not listed. So whether the retail price of 29.99 stands or not is unknown.

Regardless, I did find it on Amazon and it is in fact 29.99. However, there is a 15.99 shipping charge. That alone is unacceptable. Not considering that though, even if the shipping were free and 30 dollars was the set price, that is still not the best of values. For starters, at only 14 servings per tub, you'd probably be better off just drinking your coffee straight up and taking your whey protein separately. Or, simply make your "coffee" shake with some fresh ground coffee mix and protein. Furthermore, the value is hurt more considering that while on Amazon, I saw that similar caffeinated protein supplements that contain more servings. One such example is Optimum Nutrition's Protein Energy that goes for 16.99 for a bag that contains 52 single scoop servings. If you were to take two scoops to equate Muscle Nutrition's product, that is still more servings for a lower price. I believe there is a shipping fee, but it is less expensive.

I understand that these specialty protein products do go for a little extra, but 30 dollars is not an efficient value for a mere 14 servings.

Now one thing I will give Protein Coffee Drink Mix the benefit of the doubt is that perhaps if the product is resumed by Muscle Nutrition, then the price may be changed or the tubs may be bigger. This is assuming that changes are made.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion, Muscle Nutrition's Protein Coffee Mix wins in the taste and efficacy department. However, this win is met with a loss when it comes to the overall retail value of the product.

I would recommend investing in cheaper similar options or simply concoct your own "coffee protein" shake.

If I were to invest in this again, I would want to see a bigger tub and a slightly lower price at the very least.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!