American Protein Isolate Reviews

By: Muscle Gauge Nutrition

Protein > Whey Protein
American Protein Isolate is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Muscle Gauge Nutrition. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

August 31, 2012

• Plethora Of Flavors
  • Only A Few Websites Carry This Brand.
I saw workoutguru's review on the homepage and it spurred me to get to work on my own.

MUSCLE GAUGE NUTRITION: AMERICAN ISOLATE
a.k.a. "American Iso"

- Don't let the name fool you - this is not strictly a whey isolate.

Protein is one of those necessities that just stays in the shadows and inconspicuously does its job. Protein is kind of like a janitor: it is a key member of the team - a member whose contributions you probably take for granted - and he only get's noticed when he's not doing his job well; i.e., the toilet gets backed up.

Here are my metrics for evaluation of a protein supplement (they aren't in any particular order and aren't all weighted the same): Taste, Mixability, Ingredient Profile, Digestability, Value.

Taste: 9 - Average

Fan-freaking-tastic. Cinnamon Bun was out of this world, a 10 if I've ever had one. All the way through the 5lb bag, I never got tired of the taste.

Additional Flavor: I also had a bag of Ice Cream Sandwich. Through the first couple pounds, I would give it a 9. Beyond that, it didn't have the staying power of Cinnamon Bun – my enjoyment of this flavor decreased a bit as I made my way through the bag, so I'll settle on an 8. Chalk that up to personal preference though, if you want – I'd recommend both flavors.

Mixability: 9

Definitely above average. I noticed a little foam – some with water, and especially with milk – and while I can see how it would be annyoying, I just took it in stride as a side effect of all my protein powder dissolving. The foam was less of an issue for me than the amount of time I've spent writing about the foam and how it wasn't an issue for me. Sidebar back to taste: Both flavors tasted very rich and full in water, which can sometimes be a shortcoming for other wheys. But in milk – that's where American Iso really shined; both flavors tasted like milkshakes. The Ice Cream Sandwich flavor even has little cookie bits.

Ingredient Profile: 8

I do my due diligence to find cost-effective proteins, and ingredient profiles are what really set my price range. American Iso exceeded my standards in both of these areas – we'll cover cost a bit later. Like I said in my last review, I don't have a problem digesting whey concentrate (as long as it is good quality). What I especially enjoyed about American Iso was that it was mostly whey isolate – concentrate was also an ingredient, but isolate was listed first; an isolate-first blend, like 100% gold standard.
The protein content per scoop is 22g/30g scoop, or 73% - 6.2g of BCAAs. Decent, but clearly a blend. Other building blocks include 3g fat and 3g carbs (2g sugar). With no real curve balls to speak of, I'd think this protein blend could be adapted to many different nutrition programs.

Digestability: 9

I really had no problems with this to speak of. Occasionally I would get indigestion – likely from the quantities of food being consumed – but there weren't any recurring signs of poor protein digestion. Because the majority of the protein source is the more refined whey isolate, this protein is going to be easier on the digestive tract than say a whey concentrate.

Value: 10

I got a 5lb bag for $30. It has 77 servings, each with 22g of protein, so no need for any fancy math this time. That's $.39/serving, which is superb. Unfortunately, the MGN-American-Iso cat got out of the bag, and no this protein doesn't sell for less than $39 these days (that I've found – feel free to point me towards a sale!) At that price, the cost per serving is $.51. Still great, considering that most proteins are approaching (if not surpassing) the $1/serving milestone.

Overall: 9

Nutraplanet and Muscleandstrength are two websites I know that carried this at one point, but not on a consistent basis. MGN apparently does their protein in batches and then ships the entire batch out, so when a retailer sells out, American Iso is out of stock for like a month while the new batch is brewing. It's a bummer. I think that's actually why I haven't restocked in so long, because I just got tired of waiting. But when you find somewhere that has inventory...there are so many flavors!

Lightning Round:

- Yes, I would buy this protein again. I think I'll do that after I finish my review.
- Excellent value, isolate-based whey protein blend.
- Tastes and mixes great, wide flavor selection.
- Finding it in stock (ALL the flavors in stock) can get a tad squirrely.
- It came in bags when I bought it, which was kind of cool.
- Yes, for any of you that caught my last review, I did recycle my little intro about how I review protein.
- While I wouldn't really call it a "con" of this product, 10lb bags would be convenient so I can purchase mass quantities of Cinnamon Bun protein.

August 31, 2012

• Annoying Foam When Shaken
  • Only A Few Websites Carry This Brand.
I wanted to try something different so I decided to go with American Iso by MGN. The main reason I went with this is because of the price. I went with the Chocolate flavor which is hard to beat.

Profile:8/10 The overall list of ingredients in this is not to bad. 22grams of protein, 2 grams of sugar, 2 grams of carbs, and 3 grams of fat per serving. Its not to bad but could be a little better on the ratio.

Taste: 8/10 As I said above I got the chocolate flavor. It does not have a real strong chocolate taste to it. It remined me a lot like drinking chocolate milk. Next time I want to try one of their other flavors just to see what they are like and so I don't get tired of just the chocolate flavor.

Mixability:9/10 This stuff seemed to mix very well with water or milk. The one thing I did not like about this was after you shook it up it got real foamy and I noticed that when I drank it. A little less on the foam and I think it would be a little better.

Effectiveness:9/10 I thought this was a pretty decent overall protein. I felt I got some good recovery gains on this and felt it help me put on a little more size. I also felt it help me get a little stronger on my lifts since it helped me put more size on.

Value:10/10 I think the value of this stuff is really good considering how many other protein brands are really rasing the price of their protein. When I got this stuff I got the 5lb tub (77 servings) for $35.99. This was the cheapest I could find this stuff on any website that had it in stock. Since I got this protein the website I had ordered it from has raised the price a few dollars which I don't like. I found out that the cost of protein is starting to really go up a lot which I don't like hearing.

One thing I don't like about this brand is that only a few websites carry it and it can be really hard to find. Usually a lot of the websites I noticed that carry this protein are sold out a lot of the time.

I think overall this is a pretty decent blend of protein considering the cost and amount of servings you get in the 5lb tub. I would high recommend trying this at least once. I do think there is other protein out there that is maybe a little better but for me this did what I needed it to do and I was very happy with this brand. I am for sure planning to get another tub of this since the price is still fairly decent.

July 29, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Digests Easy
  • Annoying Foam When Shaken
More thanks to MGN for dishing out the free products, it's always appreciated.

American Iso is MGN's whey protein, & nothing more. I personally find it somewhat difficult to tell if a given protein powder is aiding in anything beyond tallying up macros/micros, but there are some exceptions. So, I tend to place more emphasis on things like taste, mixability, & drinkability. Nonetheless, I will do the best I can to gauge the effectiveness of what works out to be food.

PROFILE: B
American Iso works out to:
120 cal
3g total fat
3g carbs
2g sugar
22g protein
Not bad, not bad at all. Leaner than most I've seen, & it still packs adequate amounts of protein. The protein count is not as high as I would like, but that's more than likely my slight OCD. I like numbers in increments of 5s. The protein itself is derived from whey (isolate, peptides, & concentrate), & it is micro filtered. Other ingredients find its way in, the usual list of suspects.
It's a typical profile, but one that works. All the numbers are where they should be.
I would give this an "A", but I have some questions about quality. I'll cover this under "Mixability."

TASTE: C+
I received "vanilla."
It's average at best. There are definitely better tasting products out there, but there are most definitely worst tasting products out there. Best tasting was in milk, but still average at best.

MIXABILITY: C
It mixes up well, but unless you stir it in with a spoon you'll get a head of foam that rivals some better beers...and it doesn't taste as good. No clumps or anything at all, but the foam was persistent. In a shaker cup or blender, you get mad foam. Best way was to stir it in with a spoon, but that's neither really convenient nor efficient.
The issues with mixability led to a rather interesting discussion among some of the ER guys. The issue of quality was brought up due to the amount of foam. Apparently the foam is usually an indicator of quality, or the lack thereof. I don't know how true this is, but it does raise some questions as to the quality of the ingredients.

DRINKABILITY: B-
It scores high, but not really.
Shaken (not stirred), it goes down just fine until you hit the foam. The foam itself is hard to down, so it will require a refill to get it all. Sometimes a couple refills. The foam is persistent.
Stirred (not shaken), no foam to worry about but it's a little rougher. Not by much, but the difference is noticeable.

EFFECTIVENESS: B
It's basically food, but it does contribute to recovery some.
I typically used this first thing in the morning (pre-workout), & sometimes during the day in between meals.
Pre-workout didn't seem to impact my workouts one way or another. At the end of the day, that's a good thing cuz the last thing you want is a giant ball of gas at the bottom of a heavy squat.
As a snack it worked just fine. It took just enough of the hunger away to get me to the next meal. If I threw it in milk, it seemed to curb hunger better...but I'm slightly lactose intolerant. So that wasn't always a smart idea for me.
I never took this post-workout for recovery, but it did help me hit better protein totals. I tend to eat less protein than I need, so it was nice having things where they should be.

VALUE: B
I found this for just under $40 for a 5lb tub on Nutraplanet.com, & other members have priced it about the same. I received the 2lb tub, but I'll evaluate the value for the 5lb-er anyways.
Compared to my two favourites, Dymatize's & ON's, it's priced about the same. In that case, it American Iso would score higher but the questions I have about quality keep the value "above-average." Yes, you get more servings (anywhere from 8-10 more servings), but the quality issue negates it.
It's a good product, & a good value.

OVERALL: B
I liked American Iso for the most part. I could've done without the foam, but you can't always get what you want. It's solid top to bottom, but not the best there is.
If you're looking something different, to change things up if you will, you really can't go wrong here.

July 13, 2012

• Farted More Than Usual
Here is my review for MGN's American Iso Whey Protein, Cake Batter flavor.

Profile : 7/10 - Decent profile for a whey isolate product. 120 calories for a 30g serving, 22g which is protein, 2g sugar, 2g carb and 3g fat. It's not the leanest compared to others, and I've seen better protein to serving-size ratios on most other higher brand name products.

Taste/Mixability : 9/10 - The cake batter was pretty damn good, only other cake batter I had that was better was Monster Mass's, but that has like 8 times the calories lol.
It mixed perfectly fine, no issues in that department.

Value : 7/10 - Considering it isn't the highest quality protein, it is still pretty affordable at about $38-42 for a 5lb tub.

Effectiveness : 7/10 - I saw this protein as being pretty comparable to some other isolates that I've had in the past. It was easy to put down, it gave me similiar results as other proteins, and at 32 servings per tub, it generally last around 5-6 weeks.

I did have an issue with getting more stinky gas farts than normal... Don't usually have that problem, but I can't really 100% pin point it on the protein. It did digest completely fine, no stomach cramps or anything of that sort.

Overall : 8/10 - I think overall this protein is pretty solid for the price. It tasted great, but that could be also that I am a sucker for cake batter. The protein mixed very well, and it went down the hatch easily. I would like for it to have less fat/carbs, but at the same time, the extra filtration might raise the price more, making it a harder product to sell.
Thanks MGN!

March 21, 2012

• Need To Sell 10lb Bags
As I'm sure some of you have noticed the price of Optimum Nutrition's products has been rising somewhat steadily within the past year for whatever reasons. So, with no longer wanting to pay more and more for ON's gold standard 100% whey, which has been my staple protein for the past 1.5 years. I went on a quest of sorts to replace GS and started browsing some reviews on this site. Long story short, I found my personal GS replacement here.

So with that being said let's begin my review of Muscle Gauge Nutrition's American Isolate

---

----------------

Nothing out of the extraordinary here. The following is copied and pasted.

5lbs Cinnamon Apple Crumb Pie - EXCLUSIVE FLAVOR
Serving Size: 1 Scoop (29.7g)
Servings Per Container: 77
Ingredients: Microfiltered whey protein matrix (whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, whey peptides), sweet whey, non-dairy creamer, natural and artificial flavors, skim milk, xanthan gum, and sucralose.

Some of you might be already turning your head's away just because there is sweet whey listed in the ingredient profile. I know I was skeptical at first too, but hear me out.

------

Effectiveness(9/10)

------------
Personally, I feel this product was just as beneficial and effective in terms of recovery as some of the higher end pure isolate products I've taken before like AMP Wheybolic Ext 60 and Hyrdowhey. I never experienced any type of bloating or having to crop dust an area with nasty whey farts as I've had before with my experiences with some pretty crappy protein products I've used in the past as well. So in short I got all the benefits of the expensive stuff for the price of the cheap stuff.

-----

Taste/(9/10)

--------------------
I went through one 5lb tub of the Apple Crumb Pie. It actually tastes like apple pie. Very satisfying to the taste buds and has a well rounded yet thick texture to it as well. No chemical aftertaste as well. The stuff never got old. And I was taking 2 scoops of the stuff a day for nearly 40 days straight. I mixed this in with a ½ cup of oats and 1 tbsp of natty peanut butter each morning and it is phenomenal, just saying if you ever decide to get this.

Mixabiltiy(10/10)

----------------
Mixes just as well as GS does. I never had any problems with clumping or anything of that sort when mixing this with water and skim milk. Also mixes easily with a spoon and glass, just got to stir several times.

Value(10/10)

---------
Got this from MuscleandStrength.com shipped in a not so pretty Fedex box for 35$. I'm not even going to break that down to the cost per day for you to justify my reasons for giving this a 10 here. That should be pretty self explanatory considering my overall experience with this product.

Overall(9.5/10)

------------------
This totally exceeded my expectations as a cheaper, less effective alternative to Gold Standard. I honestly have nothing to say bad about this product except that they need to sell 10 lb bags of this stuff. I will be buying this product again.

December 10, 2011

• Digests Easy
    This is the fifth protein I have used and so far it is my favorite. MGN did a great job with this one. I have went through 3 5lb tubs and I drink these after my workouts and before bed. You cant go wrong with a good whey protein, and this is a good one. I first bought it because it was on sale and I do not plan on going back to the Dymatize Elite Gourmet I used before I tried this.

Profile - On another forum a MGN rep said this was a 60/40 ratio of whey isolate to whey concentrate. Thats a pretty good protein if you ask me, and it only has 120 calories for a scoop containing 22g of protein.

Value - This is where this product really shines. I have found it for sale the 3 times I have bought it. Its a regular $40, but I found it for $28 the first two times and $23 the third time. With 80 servings containing 22g of protein each thats an outstanding value.

Taste - The taste if this product is very good. I have tried chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and vanilla and they are all great mixed with water or milk. The flavor is on par with Elite Gourmet imo.

Overall - This really is a great protein, and I cant say it is lacking in any aspect. It doesnt fill you up, and it doesnt give me an upset stomach or bloated feeling like some proteins can. It tastes great, and has a lot of flavors to choose from. Its a great post workout protein and I have found it very cheap each time I bought it. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good whey.