Growth Enhancers > Nighttime Sleep Formulas

Machine Sleep Aid is a Nighttime Sleep Formula manufactured by MTS Nutrition. It is designed to be used before bed time. It promotes restful sleep, increases REM sleep and helps the body attain an optimal state for muscle recovery and growth.

Overall
Overall
2.0
  February 11, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Best Tasting Sleep Supplement I Have Had
  • Bad Side Effects
  • Unusable For Me

Hello all! Full intro on myself can be found on the forum here: https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=35432.0

As for this supplement, I initially picked this up from Tigerfitness.com during their large Black Friday sale in 2017. Normally MTS products do not go on sale too often and I am kind of a cheap a$$ sometimes when it comes to products that I have not tried before. The sale took 20% off the price and there was free shipping. I thought about it for a while and finally pulled the trigger to purchase this sleep aid and give it a try.

Sleeping is where I struggle the most in terms of my fitness lifestyle and overall health. I have tried many sleep supplements in the past and none have worked. After following Marc for a while on social media and YouTube, I felt confident that he knows what he is talking about and that he can formulate products effectively. MTS Sleep Aid became my next attempt at finally getting a restful nights sleep consistently.

Vitamin B-6 (as Pyridoxine HCI)
30mg Calcium (from Calcium Biglycinate Chelate)
32mg Magnesium (from Magnesium Gluconate)
3000mg GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid)
200mg Valerian Extract (Valeriana officinalis) (root)
200mg Ashwagandha Extract (Withania somnifera) (root) (SKM-66)
130mg 5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) (Griffonia Simplicofolia Seed Extract)(Seed)
50mg Chamomile Flower
50mg Lemon Balm Extract (Melissa officinalis) (ariel)
50mg Hops (flower)
150mg L-Theanine
3mg Melatonin

As with all MTS products, the label has full disclosure as you can see from the above. There are a few ingredients that really caught my eye with this product that gave me confidence that it was going to work. The first was the large dose of GABA, which in simple terms tries to calm the central nervous system (CNS) and get the body in a more relaxed state.

Another ingredient that I like and have had good results with in other supplements is the KSM-66 Ashwagandha Extract. According to the manufacturer, the benefits include: Helps promote a healthy response to everyday stress, over-work and fatigue*
Helps support normal levels of mental clarity, concentration and alertness*
Helps support normal levels of vigor and performance*
Helps enhance sports performance*

I was also excited about the good dose of 5-HTP, as I have used that ingredient on its own with some effectiveness in relaxation but at smaller doses. I was interested to see what a larger dose would do for me.

Taste >> As anyone who has taken sleep supplements in powder form before, you could probably agree with me that they are not the best tasting supplements we have ever had. Many of the ingredients have a taste that is hard cover and typically leave you with an "earthy" taste in your mouth. MTS Sleep Aid however was the best tasting sleep supplement that I have tried so far. The flavor is fruit punch and it is as good as I can expect from this type of supplement. Is it an amazing fruit punch flavor like you will find in an amino product or pre-workout, no. But it is far more enjoyable than others in this category. Typically I would say if a sleep supplement tastes good then it is under-dosed and contains a lot of artificial ingredients. Since this product is open label, I know that is not true for this one.

Mixability >> Much like taste, mixability in sleep supplements does not come easy for well dosed products. Most of the time it is recommended that you mix the scoop and drink quickly before the ingredients settle. While settling does happen with this product if you let it sit, the mixability seems better than other products I have tried. The label says to mix with 8 oz of water, which should only take you a few swigs to finish. No aftertaste or grit/film is left in your mouth after finishing.

Dosing >> In my opinion, this is definitely a one scoop product based on the dosages on the label. Based on the reaction I had with this product, I could not imagine taking any more than one scoop at a time. Unless you are 300+ pounds of all muscle, taking more than one scoop seems like a waste and possibly dangerous based on my experience.

This is where the product loses almost all its points for me. The main objectives I want accomplished from a sleep supplement is for it to knock me out quickly and make it so I stay asleep the entire night. Unfortunately, MTS Sleep Aid does not accomplish either one of those tasks. On top of that, it gives me a horrible feeling shortly after consuming it.

First, I will speak about the two objectives that it fails to meet. Each time I have taken this supplement, there has been no drowsiness noticed no matter how long I wait before attempting to go to sleep. I would really like something that knocks me out quickly and makes my eyelids feel like sandbags. Strike one here.

Moving on to the second objective of keeping me asleep the entire night. Normally I do not sleep soundly and wake up multiple times during the night. While taking this supplement, nothing changed. I woke up approximately the same number of times during each use. Strike two.

Lastly, I will touch a little bit about the horrible feeling I get after drinking this. No exaggeration, less than a few minutes after taking this and sitting down, my chest tightens up and breathing becomes difficult. The first time this happened to me, I honestly thought I was having a heart attack! Not cool. Strike three! And I'm out!

Currently listed at Tigerfitness.com for $39.99 per tub and each tub is 30 servings. For the person that this product is effective for, that price per scoop seems reasonable compared to other products on the market. I have seen some sleep aids at the same price but the tub only contains 20 or 25 servings. Do note that Tigerfitness.com has a money back guarantee; so if you are not happy, you can reach out to them and they will make an effort to help.

Side Effects

As mentioned, this product loses almost all its points due to its ineffectiveness and whatever points are leftover are lost with me because of the side effects I experienced. As I briefly mentioned in the effectiveness section, I get a horrible feeling right after drinking this product when mixed with the recommended 8 oz of water. I am left feeling like an elephant is sitting on my chest and I have to put a lot of effort into breathing just to get a normal amount of oxygen into my system. I contacted the company about these effects and was told it is likely because of the GABA but there is nothing to worry about. I beg to differ! Feeling like you can't breathe and/or are having a heart attack is something I definitely worry about! This feeling does eventually pass after 5-10 minutes, but if you are not expecting it in the first place, it can be quite scary.

I will say there are no side effects experienced in the morning, specifically because the product is ineffective during the evening. Whatever effects I feel in the morning are because of restless sleep, not because of taking this supplement.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I had high hopes for this product and thought this could finally be the magic potion I have been looking for to get a good nights sleep. Sadly, I not only struck out on this product being effective; I damn near took myself to the emergency room thinking I couldn't breathe. Maybe these side effects can be lessened if I drink the product slower and/or use more water but I honestly do not want to try it anymore.

I had a horrible reaction to this product but by no means do I think this will happen to everyone who tries this supplement. If you have made it this far, please take into consideration this was just an honest review based on my experiences and the product may work great for you. Just keep in mind the feelings I mentioned in case those happen to you as well and have a little solace that they will pass.

Thank you for reading and leave me any comments or questions that you may have. Cheers
  • Fruit Punch: 9/10

• aleexz
    7 days ago

Your third point happens to me as well when taking something with melatonin in it or just melatonin pills.

• htevans
    7 days ago

I gave you the thumbs up but is a 2 for value really fair if it is competitively priced? I get the whole "it could be free but if it doesn't work then what good is that" mentality but I typically see the categories as somewhat (but not entirely) distinctive. Curious to get your take on why you didn't just score it low for Overall and Effectiveness. Either way, good review and I totally agree that the side effects you experienced are a big deal - especially for a supplement that is supposed to relax you.

• dmf8625
    7 days ago

htevans >> Great points! I based the number selections off of the side notes on the SR website when scrolling through the choices. I tried to write this review telling people "Hey, this is a no go for me, but it may work great for you." Based on the ingredients, I think this product would be effective for others who don't have the reactions that I did. Thank you for the comment.

• htevans
    7 days ago

That's fair - I was just curious to see another's take on how to rate value for a supplement that has side effects but is also fairly priced. I've always thought there isn't really a hard and fast rule either way. Thanks for the response!

Advertisement: