AR-15 Whey Protein Powder Reviews

By: Micronamin

6.9

Ranks #107 (better than 3%)
In: Protein > Whey Protein

AR-15 Whey Protein Powder is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Micronamin. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Protein > Whey Protein

Welcome to SupplementReviews.com

The supplement industry is notorious for agressive marketing and misinformation.

pancow
TROOPer Level: 67
  January 12, 2017

Thanks to Micronamin for sending it out!

Hello SR. First I would like to thank Micronamin for sending this protein supplement out for review, and the SR TROOPs program for making the connection possible. Sorry for being a bit late on this review and not as active. My computer has been acting all crazy and had to get a replacement, so only had my phone to keep track of SR. Anyways, I recovered nicely while using this supplement, and aside from having to shake my cup twice as long and the sweet taste, I'd say it wasn't the worst experience I've had with protein.

24 grams of protein per serving, which is from whey protein concentrate. Maybe being concentrate is one of the reasons it wanted to be a pain to mix, but regardless this is the protein we get. Plus you get 6g's of amino acids and 5.5g's of glutamine. I like seeing these added in for recovery to save money on using separate supplements.

Creatine is also in this at 750mg, though I'm not sure what kind because that seems pretty insignificant. Not a bad ingredient profile to work with, but not sure why the whey protein concentrate is listed in the other ingredient section.

Taste was a bit off because of the excessive sweetener. I could drink it, but definitely had to chug it down. Mixing was the biggest issue as it took quite a bit of shaking to break up the mixture, plus I would have to open the shaker lid to knock powder that got stuck back in, thennnnnnnnnn shake again lol dosing is 2 scoops, which this age of supplements I think needs to be worked down into 1 scoop for a serving being just a whey protein. That's just personal preference I guess.

So I used this supplement following my workout and sometimes in the mornings as well. Recovery while using this protein was still going smoothly. I know this because previous to using this protein I had another brand mixed with my glutamine from NutraBio, so I'm going to say it basically equaled the same benefits. Then my digestion was fine and the product didn't make me gassy or have the runs.

$28.49 on Amazon for 30 servings makes it under a dollar per serving. Given the protein mixed with further aminos I'd say this is a good deal for you especially once the mixture has been fixed. Other whey protein concentrates cost almost 10 dollars more and don't contain extra glutamine, so I'd choose this even given the need to shake longer.

Side Effects

Big Clumps in Cup lol

Conclusion

I noticed Micronamin has already said on other reviews that they will be fixing the mixture and taste, so I'd definitely recommend this protein powder once the issue has been confirmed as resolved. However, I have to base the review off what I got, and given the mixing issues with heavy sweetening I can't give the nice green happy face and all 8's. But would be happy to review the revised batch to update this review. Thanks again for allowing me to review your supplement Micronamin.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improved Recovery
  • Good Source Of Daily Protein
  • Reduced DOMS
  • Settling
Cray
TROOPer Level: 57
  January 11, 2017

Thanks to Micronamin for sending it out!

Chocolate protein powder. Legit my favorite supplement of all time. I'm always excited to try out a new brand or a product with an interesting ingredient profile twist, and I appreciate Micronamin letting me give AR-15 a go.

Two scoops of AR-15 nets you 24g whey protein concentrate, 6g BCAAs, 5.5g glutamine, and an undisclosed dosage of creatine. All in all a nice profile. I appreciate the inclusion of both the BCAAs and the glutamine and the fact they are dosed at an effective level. Additional kudos for an *almost* fully disclosed ingredient profile. I appreciate seeing the dosages of the product's amino acid profile. My only gripe is the amount of creatine included isn't stated and, personally, I'd prefer not to have creatine added to my protein powder.

As others have stated, taste and mixability need some work here. The chocolate flavor isn't awful, but the artificial sweetener is overpowering and adds an odd aftertaste when drunk with straight water. The taste improves dramatically when blended with coconut milk and banana.

Lots of issues with clumping, particularly around the mouth opening of the shaker cup. I tried to blend this whenever possible.

I primarily dosed two scoops in the AM regardless of whether or not I worked out. If I did lift, I would take post-workout.

I've always struggled with gauging the effectiveness of products like protein and multivitamins. In my opinion these are staples of a well-balanced diet and should be used in conjunction with a solid exercise regimen.

I will say that the holidays have taken their toll on me and I've not seen the progress in the gym that I'd like the opposite actually but AR-15 isn't to blame for any of that. I have been able to retain most of my strength and muscle mass these past few weeks, which I do attribute at least in part to regularly supplementing protein. Also I did notice a small decrease in my level of DOMS and overall soreness while on this product. Basically AR-15 is giving you exactly what you'd expect from your standard protein supplement.

A side note: I've never prescribed to the notion that you'll only see results from using a pure, high-quality protein. Some may be turned off by the fact that AR-15's sole source of protein is protein concentrate, however I'll honestly say that I didn't notice any difference in performance or gains while using this product compared to a blend containing whey isolate or something along those lines.

Woof. At first the price was going to be a major negative in this review. On Micronamin's website, AR-15 is running $50 for 30 servings. That's absolutely insane. Furthermore, you can't find AR-15 (at least I couldn't) on any of the major supplement sites. BUT, if you search for the product on Amazon, you can grab it for a much more reasonable $30 for 30 servings.

Still, $1.00 per serving for whey protein is somewhat high in my book. ON's Gold Standard has a very similar profile, including the amino acid additions, and will cost you .79c per serving. The cost isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me, but many similar products can be had for right around .85c per serving, and that's not including the frequent deals you can take advantage of on major supp websites.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall I liked AR-15. It's a clear cut, well-rounded protein that also packs in much of what you'd normally find in your intra-workout recovery drinks. The flavoring and mixability aren't fantastic, and the price might be a bit steep for some, but this is still a viable protein option. There's also the fact this is produced by veterans, and a percentage of all sales go to non-profit veteran support organizations. I'd pay a little extra for this product knowing that fact. With some tweaks, AR-15 could be a top tier protein supplement.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improved Recovery
  • Good Source Of Daily Protein
  • Heavy On Sweetener
PiccoloPete
TROOPer Level: 45
  December 30, 2016

Thanks to Micronamin for sending it out!

I would like to Thank Micronamin for sending out a pouch of Vanilla AR-15! I have been training closer to 3 days now as we are in what we call Season out here in CA. Meaning we get snowbirds (somewhat wealthy folks from the colder states/Canada) that come out and spend some time and money in our resorts and cities! So less time for the gym but making money for the future gains (Food Mostly)! I have been training on the big 3 mostly and accessory work I usually workout in the evening after work. I have slowly crept up the intensity and volume post the main lifts. I have always been a lover of the pump.

I have attached the ingredient profile below but you get Whey protein concentrate, BCAA and Glutamine. 1 serving is 2 scoops and yields you 24g protein, 4.5g fat and 8g of carbs. You also see Creatine listed in the other ingredients section.

Taste: As I mentioned previously I received the Vanilla flavor. It took me some getting used to drinking it on its own with water or skim milk the sweetener was a little overpowering and it left a weird after taste. When I blended it with some berries or some sort of fruit it was much better. I would like to see the sweetener toned down a little bit.

Mixability: This has major issues with clumping and settling when mixed in any type of shaker cup. I mostly ended up blending it up with fruit it tasted better and was mostly free of clumps, it did however foam a little bit.

Dosing: 1 serving (2 scoops) typically post workout! Sometimes I had not time in between jobs so I had to settle for some clumpy protein. On days where I brought my single serve blender to work I could make me a nice fruit smoothie with protein typically held me over for the second shift.

Protein is always hard to judge if it's "Working." I used AR-15 to meet my macros goals when tracking. Sometime eyeballing them in my head sometimes on MFP. I did notice small recovery and reduction of DOMS when taking post workout. It was convenient to have bcaa's and glutamine
included. I have been training 3 days straight and Squats, Bench, Dead's and all 3 days I had a postw/o shake because I knew Deadlift day would be dreadful because I wouldn't be completely recovered from Squats, AR-15 was able to help me not suffer as much. I would feel sore but as soon as blood started flowing into the hams, glutes and lower back it was game time!

35.99 for 30 servings is a just a tad bit higher than we would like to see especially with the mixing issues, and the fact that the sweetener is overpowering. These are issues that can be addressed and I personally would be fine with the price point.

Side Effects

As I would mostly drink this PostW/O I noticed that the next morning I had some pretty smelly gas.

Conclusion

I do believe that Micronamin has a good base to a product that can become so much better. The issue with mixability and the overpowering sweetener have been addressed by myself and our other reviewers. Something I forgot to mention is that it comes in a pouch, I kind of like this because as you run out you can roll it smaller and it takes up less space than a tub. I would pack this into my lunch bag on days where I knew I was going to need some extra protein.

If they fix the kinks it can be a great go to protein powder that also helps a great cause!

Finally, a Thanks to SR for the Trooper/ER program!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Recovery
  • Reduced DOMS
  • Heavy On Sweetener
  • Settling
  • Smally Gas
  • Vanilla: 5/10
WarMachine
TROOPer Level: 70
  December 7, 2016

Thanks to Micronamin for sending it out!

A special thanks to Micronamin for the chance to try out their protein AR-15. Lets be honest, protein supplements are the foundation of the average fitness buff's supp arsenal. There are more than enough different products out there. All have their pros and cons, but in the end, it's the preference of the user that determine's whether a protein supplement hit home. I've used more than enough protein products in plenty of various forms to keep count. At the same time, I've used numerous protein powders, usually for the purpose of reaching my macro quotas daily.

So lets see how AR-15 holds up...

Each two scoop serving provides 24g of whey protein and some added bonuses including 750mg of creatine, 5.5g of glutamine, and 6g of BCAAs. According to a comment by the rep posted on zbikowski88's review, Micronamin uses 30g of WPC 80, yielding the listed 24g of whey protein. There are no added fillers, but what I'm not fond of is the 11.5g of sweetener used. I've never been a fan of stevia or artificial sweeteners of any kind. I know that stevia is a more "natural" oriented sweetener, but I'm just not a fan of substitutes unless absolutely needed.

At any rate, the profile looks promising enough for a protein supplement.

I received the chocolate flavor and I found it to be decent but definitely not the best. The taste of the sweetner is very apparent and can be unpleasant to those with more sensitive palates.

The mixability is definitely a weak point of this product. There was never a time, regardless what method of preparation I used that I could get a complete or close to complete thorough mixture. Regardless of any liquids or methods, I was always left with an array of sticky clumps that would often get stuck in my teeth. I did not like that feeling whatsoever at it often left my mouth sticky and with an unpleasant aftertaste.

My personal dosing for this product was solely a two scoop serving post workout. On non-training days I would take a serving sometime in the early morning. I never took the product more than twice since I wanted to last and I was getting a majority of my protein from other sources anyway.

I wanted to used AR-15 primarily as a recovery aid since it had some extra bonus ingredients, I figured this is where it would be most helpful. I found that it was indeed helpful in improving my recovery and helping to maintain my DOMS both post workout and throughout the week to a minimum. It also did help me meet my macro quotas provided my diet remained on track throughout the day. Not much more I can say being that this is a protein and these are the two main areas I gauge a protein supplement's efficacy on.

The cheapest I was able to find AR-15 was 39.99. I respect the fact that Micronamin donates proceeds to veteran non-profit organizations so I'd be willing to be pay this price just for the fact that it's going to a good cause. However, take that away, and I feel that this price is a bit steep for me given the cons of the product. I'd say that if these kinks were ironed out, the price would be a more worthy investment.

Side Effects

Conclusion

While in no way a complete bust for me, AR-15 needs some improvement in order for me to really recommend it over some of my more personal favored choices. Improving the mixability, taste, and quality of the product will definitely make AR-15 a more substantial competitor in the protein supplement market. Overall, it's worth a try, but I'd wait till some improvements are made.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO PATS!!!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Recovery
zbikowski88
TROOPer Level: 38
  December 3, 2016

Thanks to Micronamin for sending it out!

As a disabled military veteran I try do what I can to help out other veteran companies/services. Micronamin was created by Veterans for Veterans while donating a percentage of made income to Freedom Hunters and other veteran organizations . This was the biggest point of emphasis for myself when deciding to review AR-15 Whey Protein Powder. During the duration of this review I was training 5 days a week (Powerlifting Focus) while on a lean-bulk diet.

This ingredient profile is a little different from other whey protein powder supplements. Each serving contains: 5.5g of Glutamine, 6g BCAA and 750mg creatine - notice something missing? The front of the bag doesn't list the amount of protein per serving which is odd. Anyways there's 24g of Whey Protein Concentrate (About 80% grade). Other notable ingredients include 4.5g Total Fat, 8g of Total Cabohydrates and 210mg Potassium. So overall per serving there is 45.55g total with 24g of that coming from protein leaving **21.55g** of other ingredients.

Taste - I received the Chocolate flavor which is one of two currently available (other being vanilla). It did somewhat taste like chocolate but there is a real strong taste of sweetener (Swerve, Stevia). Not the best tasting whey protein powder however it's not the worst either.

Mixability - There was some issues with clumping mixed with water. There was so settlement at the bottom but there was some grittiness toward the last few sips.

Dosing - Protein is something that you can use at anytime: Before/After training, in between meals, meal replacement. I basically had a serving after training and first thing in the morning on non-training days.

It can be hard to judge the effectiveness of whey protein supplements. Whey protein can help you gain muscle, strength and help get rid of body fat but it takes much more than that. With a sound training program and diet this product "could" help you. While reviewing AR-15 I do believe it helped with those areas but who knows really how much? There was no bloating or any kind of digestive issue to report as there can be some with milk derived proteins.

Micronamin is having a sale on their website - Originally $59.99 and now $49.99 however I found it cheaper on Amazon for $39.99. Using the Amazon price each serving costs you around $1.33 which is quite high when compared to others. Now I do have a soft spot since some of that money is going to veteran non-profit organizations but it's still a bit too much for me.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall my experience using Micronamin AR-15 Whey Protein Powder was meh. I really didn't look forward to the taste or clumping but it did help fill my macros. Sometimes less is more, I'd like to see them get rid of the Creatine and use way less sweetener to lower the cost per serving. I do want to thank Micronamin for participating in the SR TROOP Program and helping other veterans nationwide.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Recovery
  • Chocolate: 3/10