Power Pak Pudding Reviews

By: MHP

Protein > Blended Protein
Power Pak Pudding is a Blended Protein Powder manufactured by MHP. It contains a blend of different types of protein and will promote lean muscle mass and fat loss.

4.5
  May 24, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Nutritional Content
  • Low Carb / High Protein
  • 30 Grams Of Protein
  • ScratchyItchy Throat
  • High In Sodium
  • Slight Aftertaste

I was looking for a snack to eat for when I felt like cheating and eating ice cream and everything else in the house. I figured that this would ease my cravings but I wish I spent my money on something else.

Serving size is 1 tin. It is made primarily of water, milk protein isolate and soy protein isolate.
The macros are 30g Protein, 8g Carbs and 4.5g of Fat.
I tend to look at macros when it comes to food and not ingredients, but it's also worth mentioning that this product contains 460mg of sodium per serving. Personally, I'm not sure why it's so high, especially for something that is supposed to be considered healthy. A chocolate pudding snack pack contains only 115mg of sodium, which is significantly less then the MHP Power Pak Pudding.
The most appealing aspect of this product is easily the 30g of protein per tin, especially if you're looking for a quick protein or snack fix. Besides from the high sodium, it's a solid ingredient list for a protein pudding supplement.

Flavor: Vanilla Cream

Taste: I have always felt that vanilla protein products by themselves are either miss or miss. Vanilla cream was a miss in my opinion. I understand it is a protein pudding, so it's going to be different when compared to regular pudding, but even after stirring it around it still had an odd texture and sub par taste. It didn't leave a long aftertaste in my mouth, but it does linger for a short time. After eating two cans of it, I added 1Tbsp of PBfit powder to it to see if it made it any better. It made it a little more bearable, but overall I still wasn't a fan. For something to supplement a cheat snack, it wasn't worth it.

Mixability: Everything is already mixed inside the can but I mixed it myself with a spoon after cracking it open. It mixes well, no odd clumps or protein residue on the sides of the can. The PBfit mixed well into it as well.

Dosing: A dosage is one tin. Quick easy way to snack on some protein throughout the day.

I used it to satisfy cravings, but sadly it just didn't cut it for me. All I can say is that it was a good way to get my daily protein up.

This is where the rating on this product drops for me. I picked this up at Vitamin Shoppe at $18.99 for a six pack of pudding. That is roughly $3.17 per serving, and not worth it in my eyes. I only purchased it because I had leftover money on a gift card and figured I would give it a try. If I liked it, I would have found a perfect new snack, but I didn't.

Side Effects

I finished the entire 6 pack of pudding and after every can I had a scratchy throat, the kind you get when you are allergic to something and you have to keep clearing your throat. The only ingredient I can see doing this is the soy protein isolate. I don't recall ever having a problem with soy products but besides the soy it's really just water and milk protein isolate. It was nothing major that made my throat swell shut, it was just annoying.

Conclusion

As stated above, I feel it's a good way to supplement this into your diet if you're trying to replace snacking on items like ice cream, chips, etc...I really wasn't crazy about this product even though it's very popular with other people. Even if it didn't give me the itchy throat after eating, I still wouldn't have enjoyed it. Unfortunately Vitamin Shoppe was out of chocolate and I didn't feel like waiting, maybe I would have enjoyed that flavor more. It still shines bright with its 30g of protein per serving, but I wish I would have just purchased a box of protein bars instead of this high priced pudding.

June 21, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Great Nutritional Content
  • Zero Sugar
  • Lactose Free
  • Low Fat
  • 30 Grams Of Protein
  • More Flavors Would Be Good
When it comes to protein, we all like to be creative since we all get tired of the powder. I personally have used protein powders, bars, RTDs, and even Met-rx protein pancake mix from time to time. When it comes to pudding, MHP's power pal pudding is my choice. There is not really much to say about this particular product. Its a protein supplement in pudding form. Pudding was one of my favorite childhood treats when I was a toddler. I loved all sorts; chocolate, vanilla, rice, tapioca, you name it, I've tried it.

Taste (10): Delicious taste in my opinion. Thick, creamy, and rich chocolate or vanilla flavor make this pudding a good treat to indulge in on occasions.

Supplement Profile (9):

Serving Size: 1 Can (250 Grams)
Servings Per Container: 6

Vitamin A - 0%
Vitamin C - 0%
Calcium5 - 0%
Iron - 10%

A solid 30 grams of protein in each power pak pudding serving makes it an ideal way to get a quick and delicious protein fix. However, I do have two complaints. First, as other reviewers have said, I believe the sodium content is somewhat high for something that is advertised as a nourishing supplement. Second, although the main purpose of this product is for protein supplementation, I believe there could be some added vitamins and minerals.

Usage (10): Very simple, just take of this lid, peel back the metal covering, grab a spoon and enjoy. I make it a habit to always keep some of these babies lying around the house for a quick protein fix or something I can grab on the way to work, school, or the gym. Nevertheless, these should be used sparingly as they are in no way substitutes for good wholesome food. I personally don't use these too often. I would say I use about 10 cups a month at most. All my other protein needs are met through food and somewhat through protein powder.

Value (5): The product takes a significant kick in this category. A 6 pack of these can run between 18-22 dollars. That would account to about 3-3.50 dollars a pak. I believe this is expensive for what pudding pak is intended for in such small servings. I pick mine up from a local store in Everett MA. for about 12 dollars for a six pack. I guess this is fair since I use these sparingly.

Overall (7): Pudding Power Pak is an overall good addition to have on hand in an emergency protein quick fix situation. Its delicious and provides a good amount of quality protein. Due to its high cost however, I would recommend using it sparingly and continue to get your vital protein mainly from good wholesome food.

April 18, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Replaceable Cover
  • Low Carb / High Protein
  • Zero Sugar
  • 30 Grams Of Protein
  • Medium Digesting Protein Sources
  • Better Things Out There For The Cost
I've picked these up at least a dozen times since their introduction and with just eating two cans within the last 24 hours I figured it's time for a review. This is also my first pudding review so bare with me on this one.

Content:
*Copied and Pasted from Bodybuilding.com*

Serving Size:1Can(250g)
Servings Per Container:1
Calories From Fat 40

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value"
Total Fat 4.5g 7%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 50%
Iron 10%

Contains Water, Milk Protein Isolate, Soy Protein Isolate, Modified Food Starch, Canola Oil, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Natural Flavors, Sodium Polyphosphate, Salt, Potassium Citrate, Sucralose, Acesulfame-K, Carrageenan.

So the key points here are the soy and milk protein sources. Both of which are medium digesting proteins. Meaning that they release amino acids into the bloodstream for roughly four hours. As compared to whey isolate and concentrate which are much faster absorbing proteins. As well as casein which is a much slower absorbing protein.

Overall Taste:8/10
Usually I couldn't give a damn about taste as long as a product works. However since these are meant to be meal replacements/additions I'm going to factor taste into the overall score.
Vanilla:7/10
Remember the pudding paks your mom gave you when you were a kid for lunch? Well this kind of taste like the French vanilla ones with a lot of the sweetness gone. It's not the best or the worst tasting and is still easy to get down the hatch.
Chocolate:8/10
Same thing with this flavor. Tastes like chocolate pudding with almost all of the sweetness gone. I prefer chocolate to vanilla so I'm giving this flavor a slightly higher score.

Effectiveness:9/10
I've never experienced any bloating or really bad gas with these which is the basis on how I rate all protein based supplements. They keep me full and satisfy my cravings and taste buds which is really all that I look for in a good meal replacement so the rating is high here. The high amount of protein with little carbohydrates and no sugars is a extra bonus as well.

Value:4/10
With an average price of 4.00$ per can these are quite expensive for all they offer in my opinion. Even more considering the price of gas these days and that I can go out and get pretty much the same effectiveness from a Quest bar. Which costs nearly half as much. Yeah they are unique in some ways, but that just doesn't justify the price in my mind.

Overall:7/10
Overall I really do like this product and the concept that I can eat pudding without screwing up my diet.
However, the price just kills it for me. Which has stopped me from picking up more of these in the past. I would only really recommend these if you see them on sell or are in a quick bind for protein and need something convenient.

January 3, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Replaceable Cover
  • Low Carb / High Protein
  • Lactose Free
After being tired of protein shakes and protein bars, I decided to give MHP's Power Pak pudding a shot. And all in all, I'm VERY satisfied with this, albeit the one major con.

TASTE- I was pleasantly surprised at the great taste. It's along the lines of a sugar free Snack Pack, but it seems a bit more satisfying to my sweet tooth to eat this stuff. 9g of carbs and it tastes great. This is a definite win in my book for taste satisfaction.

-9.5

EFFECTIVENESS- MHP uses milk protein isolate and soy protein isolate. I'm not afraid of a little soy protein, and the milk protein isolate makes it a great slower digestion protein perfect for anytime really. I use it for breakfast occasionally, in between meals, and even for dessert. It's also very filling.

I can't really say that this helped me in any particular area besides helping meet my protein intake goals, but at 190 calories and 30g of protein, you really can't go wrong. It's effective at serving it's purpose.

-8.5

VALUE- It's overpriced. Even when you take into consideration that each pudding is in a metal can which would obviously drive the cost up compared to plastic packaging, it's still overpriced. I think it should be $2 a can, not $3.50. They've got a unique product here, and I feel like they're taking advantage of that fact by jacking up the price.

OVERALL- Even though I'm disappointed with the price, I'll continue to buy this product. For the purpose this serves, it's a great product. It tastes great, it's low carb, lactose free, it's got a convenient pop-top, resealable, and its VERY filling. You should give this a try if you haven't already.

-8.5

July 9, 2011

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Replaceable Cover
  • Low Carb / High Protein
  • Zero Sugar
hey everyone another MHP review. I picked this up at the MHP warehouse. I was looking for an alterative to yogurt or fruit as my last meal of the day (i dont like cottage cheese). I have had protein puddings before but they were always the ones you had to mix, This was my first premade protein pudding.

Price=6 this is just way to high. I got this for 18 bucks for the box which is roughly the same as internet prices. so the cheapest your going to get these are for 3 bucks a can.

taste=8 I had the chocolate. it was very good to my supprise. also the can was pretty big. so its not like those old swiss miss pudding where 2 spoons and you were done. this should fill you.

profile=7 with only 190 cals per serving this is a great snack but just like with most MHP products its really high in salt (over 400mg) and has soy in it. but they use cocoa which is a plus for me.

I would only recommend this to those ppl who have very little time on their hands. the high salt content and the price doesnt make this feesible for even a every other day use. I would look for the dry ones that you have to mix and let set.

June 24, 2011

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Great Nutritional Content
  • Replaceable Cover
  • Low Carb / High Protein
  • Zero Sugar
  • Lactose Free
  • Low Fat
First off let me start off by saying I have made my own protein puddings in the past & they worked out great, but power pak blows them out of the water, & if you're like me & just don't have the time or patience to make them all the time, power pak is great to pick up whenever you have cash, or if you want to try something different, they're a great alternative to protein bars, in my opinion their better than protein bars. Am just after finishing my second 6 pack of power pak & all I have to say is what a great product, I bought my first pack out of Vitamin Shoppe for $22 & got a good deal at BodyBuilding.com for my second pack, it was purchase IsoFast 50 for $40 & get a 6 pack of power pak free (just after placing another order).

Breakdown
Power Pak Pudding is a ready-to-eat, high protein pudding. The protein source is from milk Protein Isolate, as well as soy protein isolate, which is great because the protein blend provides a continuous release of amino acids into the bloodstream for up to 4 hours. It has 30g of protein, zero sugar, low carb, lactose free, low fat, & 50% daily calcium per serving.

Nutritional content per serving:
Sodium = 420mg
Potassium = 330mg
Sugars = 0g

Effectiveness 10/10:
These were very effective for me, they helped me with cravings, & helped keep me full as a snack in-between meals, & also helped out with meeting my protein needs. It's a very effective product you can use it as a meal replacement or just a snack, I eat it whenever am craving something sweet, it's that good that you actually think you're having a cheat meal, I even found myself taking them to the cinema lol. Power pak comes in a tin which is great because it has a replaceable cover which allows you to eat half & save the other, it says on the label to always refrigerate after opening it, but I think this is meant if you don't plan on eating it within a couple of hours, well it never tasted any different for me.

Taste 10/10:
The taste is chocolate & it's amazing, it taste just like regular chocolate pudding if not better & without any supplement chalky taste that you sometimes get from products like this, this was something that I was expecting. The texture is very rich and creamy, it's also very smooth all most like ice cream. I was really amazed at how power pak tasted, hands down will not be beating on taste. If you enjoy eating protein bars you'll love this, it's something different.

Value 4/10:
Value is the only thing that lets power pak down, it's $25 for 6 pak, which works out around $4 a serving. If you look around you might be able to pick it up for around $20, which is still a bit pricy. If only they were $12/$15 I would have these year round there that good.

Overall 7/10:
Overall I would give power pak a 7 out of 10 its a great snack with great nutritional content but its just to expensive, if you have extra cash to spend & are looking for a protein alternative to protein bars pick these up they won't let you down. There very easy to digest, low carb snack no sugar alcohols & it's lactose free & the flavour definitely does not disappoint. These would be great for anyone who's cutting & crave something sweet.