TROOP CP

ProtiZyme Reviews

By: Metabolic Nutrition

Overall Score:   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #42 of 99 (better than 58%) in
Protein > Whey Protein

ProtiZyme is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Metabolic Nutrition. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.
COMPARE SIMILAR

Gkeezy
  October 3, 2016

(Thanks to Metabolic Nutrition for sending it out!)
I would like to apologize to the SR community for the delay in this post. I was out of the country and did not have much access to the internet. Now that I am back I can catch up on all the reviews that are owed. So with that being said, I am a big believer in that it doesnt matter if you go to the gym or not, if you do cross fit bodybuilding or any other type of exercise protein should always be a staple of your diet. Our muscles need protein to function and run properly, and usually we do not get enough protein through our foods, so supplementing is always a good idea.

From the company: We designed ProtiZyme to be the most bioavailable protein you can buy. Not only are you getting 24g of high quality of protein per serving, but you're also getting added digestive enzymes to help you utilize it. We top it off by including our powerful T.A.G. (trans-alanyl glutamine) to maximize your recovery because no one has time for sore muscles.. All of you may already know my hatred of companies that make claims they cant back up, however, in this instance they were substantiated by actually how well this protein worked for me.
========================
Ingredients: B-: So the ingredients are below. Here is what I like.

Digestive Enzymes are great because they help you absorb the protein a lot better without getting the bloat.
Minerals and Vitamins - Great. Always good to have those things in the protein, helps with muscle growth

The Bad: Artificial flavors, xantham gum, sucralose. Otherwise pretty descent ingredient list. Also pretty high in cholesterol.

========================
Taste: B: It wasnt too sweet. I did not have the Peanut Butter Cookie flavor, below is just the label for it. The taste was a bit too artificial to me. It wasnt horrible, but it was descent. I actually prefer proteins that taste exactly what the flavor they are supposed to mimic. This was not the case in this situation.

========================
Dosing: A - I kept the dosing pretty straight forward. 1 Full scoop with 12oz of water right after my workout, with a few m&m's right after for the insulin spike. This had no problem dissolving in the water and there was no weird residual foam, like a few others proteins tend to have. I kept the same dosing protocol throughout the entire process, so my results would not get skewed.

========================
Effectiveness: B+: So the effectiveness of proteins are really hard to gage, because they are sort of in the background type of supplements. What I mean by that is you cant really see the exact effect they have on your body at any given moment. I judged this protein on two different fronts.
1) Did it help me hit my macros and 2) did I notice any body recomposition/muscle gains.

1) It sure did help me with the macros. I do not consume enough protein just through food because of my hectic schedule but at least with this post workout I knew that my body was getting the right nutrition when it mattered most. Protein can be great throughout the day, but I found it especially helpful with recovery and performance in post workout windows. Secondly the use of minerals and vitamins in my protein makes sense, this way I dont have to take some nasty big pills during the day. Two birds, 1 stone.

2) I did not notice some good body recomposition recovery and muscle gains while taking this protein. Now I have switched to crossfit and I love the heavy circuit type of lifting. But everytime after my workout if I did not consume a protein shake, I usually felt very weak and my muscles were extra sore. When taking this protein constantly after every single workout, I noticed my muscle DOMS decreased severely. This was the first positive of the protein. I can see how the minerals vitamins and the protein enzymes work together in unison for the decrease of DOMS. Thirdly, I did notice myself getting stronger in some of the new lifts I am currently getting used to, snatches, jerks and overhead squats.

========================
Value: C: - So the value is a bit low since its quite pricey. Anything a bit lower in price might be competitive in the market where protein is just another new kid on the block, and you're seeing that new kid in multiples now everyday.

========================

Overall: B-: Its a good product with some good ingredients but a bit pricey for an every month kind of thing.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Nutrition Profile
  • Average Taste
willyb87
  September 28, 2016

----Introduction----
Thanks to Metabolic for sending out not only the tub of protein, but also a very nice shirt along with it, seriously one of my new favorite shirts. As im sure ive mentioned in other reviews I often have some issues with my stomach so when I saw a protein with added enzymes I knew I just had to try it and see what it was about.

----Ingredient Profile----
You have a really clean protein profile here with 25g of protein, 2g of carbs(1 fiber,1sugar), 2g of total fat, some added vitamins and minerals, added TAG(glutamine form for recovery), and last a digestive enzyme complex. Im sure this protein would fit into just about anybodys diet plan without an issue.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I received Chocolate Cake and it was about as average as you can get. It wasn't bad, but seeing the absolutely delicious looking picture on the front of the tub it just didn't live up to expectations. Not saying it was a bad tasting protein by any means, just nothing that deserves praise, think cheap hot chocolate mix is what it reminded me of.
Mixing was perfect, very fine protein powder that mixed great in a shaker cup. I took my scoop after workouts and sometimes late at night.

----Effectiveness----
From a protein standpoint this did what I expected, it helped me hit my protein numbers and didn't have any negative effects on anything that I can think of.
Now the reason I grabbed this product was the added digestive enzymes, I can say without a doubt that they helped me tremendously. I have never been a real "regular" person, but while on this it was pretty much like clockwork. Once and rarely twice a day about midmorning then we were good to go. No bloating, no ridiculous smelling gas, or stomach pains. I didn't notice much from the TAG out of the ordinary as far as recovery goes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it didn't help a little

----Value----
The cheapest I found this was on amazon for $33, for 26 servings that is a little more than other top brands that usually are closer to the 28-30 serving range for 5-6 bucks cheaper, but they also lack the digestive enzymes and few other extras in here. Are digestive enzymes worth $5? That would be a personal choice, but for me I would say the price is reasonable.

----Conclusion----
If they could get the flavor down a little more this could easily become one of my favorite proteins. On other supps flavor might not be an issue to me, but when it comes to protein powders it is paramount to me that it be not only palatable but tasty. Once again thanks to metabolic for shipping these out hope to try out some more of your stuff soon.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Nutrition Profile
  • Added Digestive Enzymes
  • 24 VitaminsMinerals
  • Average Taste
  • Chocolate Cake: 6/10
Vaughn
  September 25, 2016

----Introduction----

Hey everyone, here today to do a review for Metabolic Nutrition's Protizyme protein supplement. Protein is a staple of most our stacks as an easy way to get some protein into our macros without the additional calories, carbs, etc. Since protein just fills dietary goals with some added recovery as part of a high protein diet, it can be hard to review. It really comes down to profile, ease of use, taste, digestion, and recovery. Let's see how it stacked up.

----Ingredient Profile----

In comparison to a lot of other proteins, this has a lot in it. This is a whey isolate/concentrate blend, which I'm fine with although I do prefer whey/casein blends. It's not the cleanest profile out there, but at 135 cals, 2 net carbs, and 24 grams of protein this can be stacked in most people's macro diet plans. The additions to this profile come in the form of the digestive enzymes such as amylase, protease, etc. which help with digestion, protein absorption, etc. There is also a wide spectrum of vitamins with 35% of your daily intake which is nice, could allow you to use less of your daily multi. Protizyme also touts its use of T.A.G, a designer form of glutamine known for immune system/recovery benefits.

So overall, a nice protein profile with some added benefits of vitamins, digestive enzymes, and glutamine. Worth a shot for sure.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----

Usually this is not a very important part of reviews for me, but for protein I do feel it's important. I had the peanut butter cookie flavor. I am a peanut butter fiend so was excited to try this. I usually don't make a lot of shakes, I usually like to mix my protein in oatmeal to make it a more complete meal and add flavoring. As a shake, the flavor was sub par. Had a hint of peanut butter but overall not that great. If think it did do a good job in my oatmeal however, helped the flavoring of that where it was good, but on its own just didn't hit the spot. They have a lot of flavors though so maybe the other ones would be better.

Mixability was a little thicker than most of the whey blend shakes I've ever had, but that's ok with me as well as I like thicker shakes to feel more satiated.

Dosing is whenever you need protein, most will take post workout.

----Effectiveness----

Recovery: hard to judge as it's just 24 grams of protein in the usual 200+ I have every day. I do feel I recovered well while taking this however, nothing crazy like a good intra BCAA/glutamine supplement though.

Digestion: This was the best part of the supplement. I eat very low carb and can get backed up from time to time. This protein did a great job of keeping things going, especially when I mixed with oatmeal etc. my stomach just felt better and I felt cleaner while taking this. I think I really felt the effects of the added digestive enzymes which was very nice, as I felt I didn't have to supplement with other probiotics/enzymes.

----Value----

Lowest I saw this was for $34 for 26 servings. For a whey blend this is pretty steep, but if it allows you to supplement less with vitamins/digestive aids I think the value is good. At this price point you're going to want to use it for more than just protein.

----Side Effects----

None, digestion was excellent.

----Conclusion----

If you're looking for a protein with added benefits of digestion I would give this a shot. I really did feel good while taking this, but if you're just looking for a straight protein supplement I would find a cheaper option.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Excellent Taste
  • Added Digestive Enzymes
poppapat1503
  August 28, 2015

----Introduction----
I discovered SR while I was looking for a good site that reviewed supplements. I am a pretty bulky guy for my height. I am five foot seven and over 205 lbs. I stay away from mass gainers because putting weight on my frame isn't something that is hard for me to do. I first started taking protizyme after a trusted friend recommended this product at his supplement shop. He swears by it and also has multiple other brands in his store. I thought I would give it a try. After trying it I switched to buying it online since its $20 cheaper. Also I am somewhat lactose intolerant and I needed a protein powder that wouldn't cause me to have adverse effects. My friend told me that it was a clean protein with no fillers or anything that would upset one's stomach. So I gave it a whirl.

----Ingredient Profile----
My thoughts on the ingredients is really positive. The amount of amino acids in this product is unbelievable. Also there's not much fats nor calories in this product. Although I did notice the cholesterol was pretty high for this product. Their proprietary blend in the ingredients has a bunch of minerals and vitamins in it. Supposedly the whey protein isolate in this is microfiltered 10 times.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
I got the peanut butter cookie and the taste was good. Wasn't out of this world amazing but surely tasty. The part about this product I fully enjoyed was how clean I felt after using it. I would usually take one scoop right after a workout and in the morning on my off days. I never would feel bloated or the shake just sitting in my stomach. The absorption rate of this product was pretty good. I notice some people have said that it is too thin. I thought this wasn't an issue. I am not a fan for a thick milkshake after a workout.

----Effectiveness----
The effectiveness I feel was good. I don't really feel it sticks out compared to other proteins. Don't get me wrong its an effective product but I wouldn't say it trumps everyone else. I would take a scoop post workout and I am sure it helped my muscles recover because my muscles wouldn't be extremely sore in the hours preceding the workout. Again to be honest I didn't feel that this is a supplement that is a necessary supplement in one's arsenal. On the positive side there was absolute no bloating. I would be able to drink this after a workout and go to work without skipping a beat(yes shower in between). There wouldn't be any time I would need to sit down and wait for it to digest.

----Value----
The value on this wasn't the best. I got a 5 lbs. for around $86 and I bought a second one on amazon for $66. I don't think this is a great deal whatsoever. They market it as an elite protein powder when in reality its just your average run of the mill supplement.

No sides.

----Conclusion----
My conclusion on this is that I probably will pass on this for awhile. I will end up getting a cheaper protein that produces the same results.
texasmade89
  June 18, 2015

I have tried quite a few protein’s over the years, and they do not get any cleaner than this. I was initially introduced to this buy the owner of my gym, who prides himself on selling the highest quality products. He gave me a sample pack of chocolate brownie to try after a workout. It mixed so easy, had a wonderful taste, went down easy, and just had my feeling good about it in general. I bought a tub 2lb. of the same flavor the next day. Even the 2nd time I tried it, the taste seem even more positively magnified, and I drank two scoops in 24oz so quick I barely noticed how fast I was drinking. It’s a product that you optimistic about putting your hard earned money towards. The ingredient profile is astounding. It contains all the immunoglobulins to help with digestion. These enzymes include the powerful Trans alanyl glutamine (muscle targeted glutamine) that improves recovery and absorption. Protizyme has a legitimate amount of vitamins and minerals, fortified with 24 of them to be exact. It has 35% of your daily value of Iron which I thought was nice; as athletes are usually deficient in this area. The product has noticeably less bloat and you can feel how much easier it flows through your G.I. tract. It’s only got 1 carb per serving, almost putting it on par with pure whey isolate. I would actually consider it purer than that, due to the fact that it doesn’t have any of the preservatives and additional fillers that most pure whey isolates do; (have been through multiple tubs of whey isolate).
To me this sets the standard for whey powders especially for the health consciousness and those who are down to scrutinize every individual ingredient.

Effectiveness: Protizyme has successfully helped me recover from long intense cardio sessions and multiple hours in the gym. I use a quarter scoop PWO, quarter scoop intra, and then usually 1-2 scoops post. Although I have used variations of this formula; due to the fast absorption/easy drinkability, makes it possible to throw in half a scoop intra-workout or anytime your needing a boost with your BCAAs. I actually feel refreshed after taking this stuff post workout. I have continued building lean muscle mass while on it so I could say it works for that aspect as well. The additional absorption qualities perpetrated by the digestive enzymes allows for increased protein synthesis, consequently resulting in increased muscle building (theoretically).

Value: It is higher priced, median price $37.99 2lbs. Translating to roughly $19 a pound. Compared to something like Syntha 6, commercially $10 a pound (5lb tub) or Optimum Nutrition which is $15 a pound (2lb tub); this product is significantly more expensive. In an industry where you get what you pay for, this product is more than worth the cash. It doesn’t have any of the fillers or additives that either of these products do, I’m not trying to bash either one and have used both in the past. Something like this might not mean a lot to most people, but to those who have digestive issues, enjoy putting their money towards a good company with quality product/pure profile; this would be an excellent product for you.

Taste/Mixability-The taste is wonderful; you will be hooked from the first scoop. As I mentioned before it only has one gram of carbs so that taste is originating from a natural source. It mixes extremely easy, roughly 30-45 seconds in a standard shaker bottle or 5-8 seconds in the magic bullet. I never had any clumps or any issues in this area.

Overall- To me this sets the standard for whey powders especially for the health conscious and those who are down unnecessary by products. I can’t overstate how stoked I am to have this protein available at the local gym/vitamin shoppe. If the industry hadn’t pushed the prices up on clean product by flooding the market with cheaper products that had additional additives; it would be more financially possible to consume this product more often. Although considering the digestive and vitamin/mineral benefits I’m willing to pay the few extra dollars to make this my staple protein. Protizyme consider me a customer for life!
    chikwholifts
      March 19, 2014

After hearing all the rave reviews about Protizyme, I went out and bought a tub of chocolate cake. I was so excited to try it! I was however, incredibly disappointed.

To me, the chocolate flavor was a little sour. While it mixes quickly, the consistency is quite thin. I also add protein to other food items like Greek yogurt and oatmeal. In both situations, the protein powder basically turned my yogurt close to a soupy-like consistency, and it ruined my oatmeal.

While I don't doubt that I am getting the protein I need from this product, hence the reasonable effectiveness rating I gave, the price does not justify going out and getting it. I mean, I can get a 4-5lb tub of protein I love for the price of a 2lb container of Protizyme.

After I managed to finish off the tub of chocolate (pretty much straight up shakes with water/almond milk) I managed to come across a few samples of banana and strawberry and had the same result. Won't be buying Protizyme again. My recommendation is to save your money.
      allnatty923
        February 7, 2012

Probably the best tasting protein powder that I've tried. Good texture and all of the flavors are awesome, although I wasn't the biggest fan of the strawberry. Both cake batters were awesome and the peanut butter is just great. Low in carbs and fat, and a solid whey blend. Only issue is the cholesterol, but at my age and current state of health I'm not worried about it that much, could be an issue for others.

Only other issue would probably be the price, as this stuff is expensive just about everywhere, costing around 80 bucks or so for a 5lb container. Worth it if taste is a must, but unless it's on sale or I get a good deal for it, probably won't be making this a staple.

Honestly like it though, and would love to pick it up every so often just for the flavor alone (and the profile is solid, so that doesnt hurt either)
       Pros:
       Cons:
      • Excellent Taste
      • Good Nutrition Profile
      • High In Cholesterol

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.