MuscLean Reviews

By: Metabolic Nutrition

MuscLean is a Weight Gainer manufactured by Metabolic Nutrition. It is a protein based supplement that has additional calories from carbohydrates and fats. It is meant to add additional calories for the body in order to assist with weight and muscle mass gain.

Click here to read our
Ultimate Mass Gainer Guide

9.5
  November 14, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Aids Recovery
  • All Omega Fats

This product is by far my favorite and best product that I have ever used for my recovery. It is not only high quality, but it has added Fats, Vitamins, and 8 different digestive enzymes to make it easy on your gut. The price may be a slight issue to some, but for what you're getting, I can't see a product that is any more worthy of deserving this price tag than this product. Also, even though this product is not very transparent, I have no reason to believe that they would be lying or trying to hide anything. The results speak for themselves.

This product is an extremely high-quality supplement that makes almost anything look beneath it. However, the price tag and lack of transparency may be a turn off for some people.

The ingredients for this product, even though it is a long list, really isn't that long if you compress it. The protein is more of a blend: it contains Whey Isolate and Whey Concentrate as well as Sodium Caseinate. They do not advertise this, but this product is sourced from American Grass Fed Cows. The Whey Concentrate is also unique because they claim it is 85% WPC (Whey Protein Concentrate), making this the purest WPC that I know of. Now some people may look at Sodium Caseinate and wonder why I call this a superior product when it contains an "inferior" form of Casein. Well upon doing some research, I noticed that Sodium Caseinate is used as an emulsifier. This means, in short, that it helps fats dissolve in water. With this product containing 13 grams of fat, all healthy Omega 3-6-9 fats (no saturated or trans fats), it is genius that they added in Sodium Caseinate to make the product able to mix and drink. On the topic of fats, I asked the company what their ratio of fats are in the product. They said that it is a 55%-30%-15% split. With 7.15 grams of Omega 3 fats, that is awesome. On top of that, it has 35% of all vitamins A-Z per scoop and 8 different digestive enzymes. It is an all in one product. All I wish is that I knew the ratio of the three different kinds of protein in the product.

The taste is wonderful. When the label says Strawberry or Chocolate Milkshake, it is a Strawberry or Chocolate Milkshake, especially when it is in milk. Also, on the lid, there is a sticker reminding you to add ice cubes to enhance the flavor. Milk + Ice + Musclean = A little slice of heaven. Mixability will vary. Even though Sodium Caseinate is added to help with the mixability, it still doesn't mix all the way all the time, specifically in milk. However, just shake it for a few seconds longer and there should be no issues. Dosing seems to be in order. I like how it is a 3 scoop system based on your goals and it actually lists all of the individual information based on the number of scoops. There is no calculation involved.

9.5/10
    As usual, I like to score effectiveness based on my recovery and how my stomach feels after I drink it. I should note that I use this as a "maintenance shake". That means I take one scoop and use it as a normal protein shake instead of a gainer. With that being said, I have used 2 and 3 scoops before. No matter what dose I use, I am always recovered and good to go for the next grueling workout I have ahead. I have noticed after extended use that my muscles are denser and my strength has increased greatly over time. My stomach also has no issues after drinking the shake even after I have taken all three scoops on one sitting. Bottom line, if you're using 1 scoop for maintenance, 2 scoops for enhanced recovery, or 3 scoops for healthy muscle gain, it will meet all of your needs.

Even though I praise this product, it is still 90 dollars for 50 servings if you're only using 1 scoop. 2 scoops that 50 servings drop to 25 servings and 3 scoops it drops to approximately 17 servings at 90 dollars. That is a lot of money for a weight gainer. Also, because I've noticed a trend in label transparency in brands, the lack of transparency and proprietary blends in Metabolic Nutrition supplements may scare off some people. The sad part is, I firmly believe that this is not a bad brand. I think they have the science and research that makes this product as amazing and as effective as it is. I just wished they would be more transparent and advertise the fat ratio, protein ratio, the fact that it is grass-fed whey, and why they have sodium caseinate. However, it is a clean, effective, and amazing gainer that I think everyone should give a chance.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I believe in this product as a normal shake and a gainer. I actually compared this to a BSN Syntha-6. It has a similar profile, but much much better. It is a high calorie, high fat, low carb gainer that works. It is also close to an all in one supplement. You may just only need fish oil and then that's about it. Is it worth the 90 dollar price tag, I firmly believe so. I buy this stuff all the time and I believe in it. Like I said in my Amplify XL review, this is a high-quality product with a high price tag to match. Try and get some samples or a 2.5-pound tub and see the results for yourself.
    • Chocolate Milkshake: 9/10
    • Strawberry: 10/10

October 10, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Decent Value
    • Helps Meet Macro Goals
    • No Bad Carbs Or Added Sugars
    • Aids Recovery
    - Introduction -
    Protein, protein, protein. It is considered the building block of any good muscle building or fat loss diet. Getting enough in a days time can be a challenge, especially if you're on the go like myself. Being that I am full time in college and work full time simultaneously making sure I consume a well rounded diet can be tough. Sure, I can go with the easy deep fried fast food or take a risk with the sushi in the cafe, but that will just leave me further away from my health and fitness goals. Proper planning and consistency is how fitness goals are met, regardless if you are on the go or not. In order to meet my protein needs for the day, or a quick post workout protein shake I turned to Metabolic Nutrition MuscLean.

- Ingredient Profile -
    Now this whey protein blend is not the typical whey protein, flavoring and that's it. Directly from their website here: "Using the highest quality proteins found in Protizyme to further enhance the absorption kinetics and making it easier to digest" and I will be getting into why this was noticeable over the course of my usage of MuscLean. This is also low carb for all you looking to keep your carbs in check. This also has a well rounded vitamin content in it with vitamins such as vitamin A, B6, C, B12, Zinc, Iodine, etc. The addition I really like is Iodine, since the majority of us are deficient in Iodine, by adding this to the protein can help with proper thyroid function which plays a big part in body-weight.

- Taste -
    I got the chocolate flavor, and I will say it is above average. About a 7/10. It tasted too much like it was whey protein if you know what I mean. however it was still enjoyable for the most part. Nice smooth flavor, just not something I really looked forward to. Taste is not a big deal to me though, as long as it is drinkable and the product works I'm good.

- Mixability -
    Now it is stated that this is suppose to have superior mixability, however I found this to not be the case. When I mixed this with cold water or milk it clumped, when I mixed it with lukewarm or hot water it mixed up perfectly. And after a while I mixed this only with tap-hot water and made it into a a hot chocolate whey shake which wasn't too bad. 6/10 for mixability.

- Dosing -
    Depending on your goals you can take 1-3 scoops, or just inhale the entire container daily if you're really chasing those gainz(Kidding, do not do that). I took this consistently as 1 scoop after my workouts, or during the day. At 1 scoop there are 25 servings total, obviously if you increase your scoopage the total servings goes down faster.

- Effectiveness -
    I won't be given Rich Froning a run for his money in the games anytime soon, but I think this whey protein has some excellent benefits to it. As a post workout I would not recommend this unless you add some carbs in there, which I usually did. As an easy meal replacement shake this is something I would recommend. Once my daily routine shifted and I was working out earlier in the morning with more intensive workouts I knew that my diet had to change and that intermittent fasting was not going to work, at least the way I did it from 12-8pm. In order to recover faster from my workouts I knew that replacing the glycogen that I lost during training needed to be replaced. Also at the same time, getting protein into my system earlier in the day makes the most sense as well(Broscience at its finest). So what I started doing was I moved my eating window from 12-8pm to 8-4pm, starting it with a nice Metabolic Nutrition MuscLean protein shake with some fruit. My recovery seemed to get better, and I made some nice strength gains in the meantime as well. Now for the best part, sometimes with whey protein it can cause some stomach issues for myself. With MuscLean I never experienced this and I think this is due to the enzymes they added to the mix that made this easier to digest. This also makes a great meal replacement shake as it keeps hunger at bay for a while, and with all the added vitamins it not just protein, but has some micronutrients in there as well. Overall I enjoyed my the effects(or lack of them) with MuscLean. 8.5/10

- Value -
    Right now the best price I found is $32 for 2.5lb container which gives you 25 servings at 1 scoop. If this was a normal protein I would say this is not worth the price, but with the added ingredients such as enzymes and vitamins I think this is worth the price, but on the verge of being too expensive.

- Side Effects -

- Conclusion -
    Overall this is a great option in the protein market. The unique blend of ingredients sets this apart from some of the others, and if you're looking for a nice meal replacement shake or a low carb protein option then I would seriously consider trying out this. Overall I enjoyed using MuscLean and will most likely use this again in the future as a meal replacement shake.
    • Chocolate Milkshake: 7/10

September 25, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Aids Recovery

9.5/10
    MuscLean is a low-carb, high fat weight gainer. It manages to pack 21g of protein and 13g of healthy fats in 213 calories. These healthy fats come from a variety of sources, including MCTs and omega 3-6-9s. I have no way of knowing this ratio or the amounts of the different omega 3-6-9 fats present. Still, I am pleased that there was consideration of fat sources and inclusion of omega 3-6-9s, as this often overlooked. The minimal amount of carbs and only 1 g of sugar was perhaps my favorite part about the entire ingredient profile, however. In my opinion, too many weight gaining supplements are filled with unnecessary carbs and sugar, so it is great to see supplements on the other end of the spectrum. Plus, Metabolic Nutrition added various vitamins and minerals and enzymes to MuscLean as well. I wish they didn't add artificial red dyes, though. Other than the dyes, there isn't much wrong with this profile.

I received the strawberry flavored MuscLean and enjoyed every sip. It was so delicious. Honestly, this renewed my interest in strawberry flavored protein to the point where I just recently bought a lot more strawberry flavored protein. I always mixed MuscLean in water, but I can imagine it would taste even better with milk. With water, MuscLean mixed extremely well in both a shaker cup and plastic water bottle (the struggle is real sometimes). I highly suggest mixing with cold water and adding ice cubes, as it made it taste just that much better. I typically used 1 scoops MuscLean for breakfast in the morning as I am not a huge breakfast person and am currently maintaining/recomping. Occasionally, I would use a scoop either post-workout or as a snack during the day.

It is a bit hard to judge of the effectiveness of protein powders as it is almost likely judging the effectiveness of food. That being said, I judge protein powder's effectiveness largely based on how well they enabled me to hit my macros/stay within my diet and external factors that already counted for in other sections (taste, side effects, etc.) With that in mind, I feel a 9/10 is a fair rating for how well MuscLean allowed me to stay within my macros. I have tried different diets but I feel best with a moderate carb diet so MuscLean was the perfect fit for me. Maybe a gram or two less of fat would have been better but it is not going to make or break you at the end of the day. MuscLean was flexible enough to be used throughout the day and tasted so good that I wanted to use it throughout the day. Considering those factors, I feel MuscLean was extremely effective for me.

A 2.5lb container of MuscLean goes for about $35 plus shipping. With 25 scoops per container, this is right at the most I'd pay for 25 scoops of protein. However, is is a "weight gainer" so the price per serving is always bit more. Still, $35 for 25 servings is just in the range of pricey, but potentially worth it sometimes. Of course, and it should go without saying that, this is a weight gainer so the more scoops/servings you are inclined to take, the less cost effective this will be for your wallet. That being said, there unfortunately doesn't seem to be any incentive for buying a 5lb container as it has 50 servings for $70 which is exactly double.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

8.75/10
    MuscLean is a great weight gainer powder that is taking a different approach to the weight gainer market. It isn't packed with sugars, carbs, amino-spiked protein sources, and empty calories. Instead, it has a true 21g of protein, 13g of healthy fats, 213 calories, and 1g of sugar. Those macros are great for lean-mass building and I'll likely use MuscLean again in the future for this express purpose. The price (especially lack of incentive for upsizing), lack of transparency on the omega-3-6-9 fats, use of artificial red dyes, and maybe 1-2g of fat keep this from being a 10/10, but it should still speak to how good MuscLean is that these minor qualms are the only ones to be found.

September 9, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Decent Value
    • Helps Meet Macro Goals
    • No Bad Carbs Or Added Sugars
    • Aids Recovery
    • Tastes Great
    • Bit Pricey

A special thanks to Metabolic Nutrition for their continued support for the ER/TROOPs program. Today, I discuss my experience with their gainer formula MuscLean (ML). Over the past years when gainer formulas started hitting the market, mixed impressions have followed. Many, including most of us here, would agree that gainers may not be the best thing to meet dietary goals due to most of them on today's market containing several unfavorable quality sources of calories like simple carbs, added sugars, and unnecessary fats. At the same time though, there are also some that do in fact have a more favorable quality to quantity ratio of macro sources and contain some good extras that can help. Of course, we all know by now nothing beats good wholesome food, but I myself have used a few gainers over the years and found a couple to be pretty good.

With that said, how does ML hold up to the weight gainer competition?

As you may guess, the ingredient profile is pretty extensive given what we'd expect a typical gainer to have. Before I get into it though, please note that some of the ingredients have a very slight degree of variance among the flavors. Personally, I think the variance is negligible but just a fact to keep in the back of the mind if you'd like to try ML.

The flavor I received contained per scoop, 23g of protein sourced primarily from isolate and concentrate forms. In addition, a scoop will also provide about 6g of carbs, 1-1.5g of sugar, 3-4.5g of fiber, and a small amount of some basic vitamins and minerals. The caloric quantity is about 224 per scoop.

Complimenting that is an addition of a blend of various extras including a blend of omerga 3-6-9 fats derived from sources such as olive oil, safflower oil, borage oil, and flax seed oil. There also includes immunoglobulins derived from serum albumin and a source of digestive aiding enzymes. Some medium chain triglycerides also supplements the blend of extras.

Overall, an extensive but seemingly favorable profile for a weight gainer, especially if you're watching the carbs and sugar intake.

I chose the peanut butter milkshake and all I can say is no regrets. It tasted awesome in both water and skim milk. It actually did resemble both the taste and richness of a milk shake blended with peanut butter, major yum factor.

The mixability was fine in either a shaker bottle or blender. I actually used a plain spoon and glass a couple times and it still mixed fine without any globs or excessive thickness.

Much like protein supplements, the dosing protocol is usually up to the user. For me, there were some days where I only used one scoop but would on a occasion use two, but I never wen beyond two scoops in a day. If I only used one scoop, it was often in the morning as a compliment shake with breakfast. For two scoop day, one scoop shake with breakfast and the other sometime in the late afternoon or early evening. A few times, I took the serving post workout as a recovery catalyst. In general, the amount of servings you use and timing will depend solely on your dietary needs and preference of extra caloric intake.

Like I do with most gainer formulas, I'm going to gauge the efficacy on how it helped me as a dietary supplement and recovery.

While using ML, I was and still am in a lean bulking phase, maintaining a caloric intake of 3,500-3,800. ML's caloric count is a bit low even at two scoops, but again, food was my main calorie and macro source.

In any case, I found ML's supplemental protein as well as extras like good fats and digestive enzymes highly helpful in enabling me to ensure extra macro supplementation without having to be overly concerned about getting too many excessive calories or unnecessary sugars.

As for recovery, thanks mainly to the extra protein and inclusions like the bovine serum albumin and MCTs, my recovery did see a noticeable boost. Ny DOMS was reduced as was the general fatigue I would experience after intense workout bouts. Also saw a reduction of "next-day" lethargy, meaning I would be less sore and fatigued the following day and be more enticed to tackle another workout.

In all, ML hit both the areas I intended it for effectively. Be sure you don't take a serving too close to bedtime. I did this one time and felt a bit bloated through the night and it interrupted my sleep pattern. My advice, keep the servings in the day or at least 3 hours before bed.

Cheapest I found MuscLean was 28.86 (plus shipping) on amazon for a 2.5 lbs tub. A 2.5 lbs tub provides 25 single scoop servings. How long the tub lasts will ultimately depends on how many servings you decide to use. In my scenario, the tub would last just about two and a half weeks. I'd say for how good MuscLean was, this is not the most expensive product and a decent investment, but I strongly recommend trying to catch it on sale from other sites and being conservative with the amount of servings you use.

Side Effects

Disrupted sleep if taken too late, but otherwise no other adverse effects.

Conclusion

Even if you're not overly fond of weight gainers, I'd still look into giving MuscLean a go. With some adjustments to your diet routine, supplementing with MuscLean will help catalyze your recovery and give you some extra favorable macros without the unnecessary fluff, sugars, bad carbs, and nasty fats. Just be sure to do some shopping around for the best price.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!