GlycoLoad Reviews

By: Metabolic Nutrition

Energy Supplements > Carbohydrates
GlycoLoad is a Carbohydrate Product manufactured by Metabolic Nutrition. It is designed to provide the body with the vital macronutrient carbohydrates which is used as fuel to help performance as well as improve muscle recovery.

October 13, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Endurance
  • Keep Glycogen Levels
  • Proprietary Blend
  • Too Much Dye

Because I have inherent issues with blood sugar and nutrient uptake, what got me into supplements a decade ago was figuring out how to solve those problems. It will be an ongoing issue, but the advances that are made in this industry will always help me address my problem. With that said, I need peri-workout carbs because I'm in a state of physical labor most of the day AFTER my workout. How I go about my workout protocols is crucial to my ability to do my work throughout the day. So knowing when a carb supplement is done right is a breath of fresh air to me... Enter GlycoLoad by Metabolic Nutrition.

The immediate first strike against what Metabolic Nutrition still does is proprietary blends. So forgive me for proceeding with some educated guesswork.

One scoop of Glycoload is 20g, 18.3g of the total are the active ingredients. The first 15g is what we're here for, a micro-crystalline form of Cluster Dextrin. So what makes up the remaining 3.3g? Glycerol, Alanine, Glutamine and Leucine. These are ordered in higher doses than the TRI-PEP, found right after the Leucine.

Underneath the fuel is an interesting set of electrolytes. There is calcium, potassium and magnesium bonded with glyercol gluconate. Turns out, these bonds are used in the medical field to treat electrolyte deficiencies and constipation (don't panic). At the bottom of the list, Alpha Lipoic Acid creeps in along with the essential vitamins for energy transport.

Like with their pre-workout P.S.P., you have the ability to dose up to 3 scoops and 45g of carbs. I didn't venture any higher than two scoops because I had my thick breakfast coming soon. The leg days I've had certainly made it tempting.

I gave the taste and 8, because there's so much that's right about it. It's a well done Fruit punch flavor. But I found myself waiting for a little more sweet or tart that I didn't get. Disappointed isn't the right word because I still enjoyed it. Best way to describe it is when you drink, it takes you up to the 8, then stops.

I got almost no settling unless I mixed it directly with water AND ice. But that just takes more shaking. The real issue is in the dye, as it will leave some on your shaker. Those with clear, uncolored shakers be warned.

As a carb supplement, it works very much as intended with no disappointments. I certainly don't feel drained or too spent within the hour of taking it in. Something I get caught forgetting about is the hydration... and I NEVER forget about hydration. In spite of what they added to the carbs in GlycoLoad, the glycogen replenishment and hydration are rock solid.

A 30 serving container goes for $24-$30. At that rate you might as well spring for the 60 serving that runs $48-$53. Metabolic Nutrition is known for being on the pricey side of things. Their novel ingredients are what should be justification for the price point. Paying in the $50 for 60 servings this kind of carb product is about right, especially when you're able to take control of how many servings you would like to use at one time.

Side Effects

Red dye

Conclusion

Overall I enjoyed GlycoLoad. I let myself worry about the TRI-PEP and glycerol-linked ingredients. I was hoping for a little bit of a water pump, but will definitely settle for the hydration. However, this is why proprietary blends are frowned upon. Squeezing BCAAs, TRI-PEP, electrolytes, etc into 3g+ won't look pretty when transparent. We're just left to do the algebra in theory. Don't let the label be TOO much of a hang-up here. It's nonetheless a worthwhile.

Thanks for taking the time. As always: thoughts, questions comments, analysis, critique, etc. are all welcome.
  • Fruit Punch: 8/10

September 12, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Keep Glycogen Levels
  • Increase Recovery
  • Endurance
  • Too Much Dye
First off I want to thank Metabolic Nutrition for letting us troopers have the chance to try their products. This is my first ever Metabolic product I have tried. Been looking into their products for awhile and there have been a few of them I have wanted to try and hoping they would show up on the trooper programs. Well one of them finally showed up on the trooper programs and this was one of them and decided I would give it a try. There are still a couple of their products I would like to try and hopefully they show up on here at some point.

Ingredients:
I really like a lot of the stuff they put in here and feel they are good things they use in this. What I don't like is that this is made up mainly of a really big prop blend. There are some things they fully list but a lot of stuff they don't. There are 18,370mg of stuff in here but all in one big prop blend which I don't like. It would be really nice to have a better break down of what all you are getting of each ingredients. I do like that they use HBCD Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin. This helps to not spike your insulin levels. This is good for those who workout a lot in the mornings. I also like that this is sugar free and gluten free. I did post how they break this down depending on how many servings you used.

Value:
This comes in two sizes 30 and 60 servings containers. The cheapest I could find this was on lockoutsupplements.com For the 30 servings they want $29.95 and for the 60 servings they want $49.95. I feel the 60 servings container is the best deal and that is what I was sent. The 30 would be ok if you can get by with one scoop but for me I needed 2 scoops. I found the 60 serving to be a better value since I needed two scoops which would lasted me a month.

Taste:
I decided to try the blue raspberry flavor. You can tell right away it has a different kind of taste to it but its not a bad taste at all. It does have of a strong blue raspberry flavor to it. I thought it was a little on the sweet side and had a little bit of a chalky taste to it. It is enjoyable to drink but after awhile I got kind of tired drinking it.

Mixing/Dosing:
I did have some issues with it mixing. When I would fill my shaker bottle with water I notice the powder would start to clump up and it would get real sticky if you got any on your fingers. There were times when I would shake this up and had little clumps of this left over in my shaker bottle and would not fully mix. There are three ways they recommend you dose this. They say to take 1-3 scoops depending on what kind of workout you are doing. Take 1 scoop for quick paced muscle endurance. Take 2 scoops for high intensity & longer duration functional fitness or HIT training. Take 3 scoops for high volume strength and muscle building. You can take this before, during or after your workout. I mainly took this before my workout and a few times I took this with my aminos during my workout.

With this product I was looking for a couple different things to happen. First I wanted to get better endurance and energy during my workouts and better recovery. I don't usually use carb products that often but when I do they are nice to have. I would normally take this during my last break at work before I would go to workout. It would be about 2 hours before my workout when I would take this but wish I could have taken this a little closer to my workout time but this was the only time I could take it before my workouts since I work most everyday. I figured taking it that much longer before my workout I would not feel it as much from this. I was rather surprised how the effects from this were still there and could usually feel it working most of the time. I could feel my energy and endurance was always better and would not tire out as much during my workouts. I think it helped give me that little extra boost of energy and endurance which was nice. I did not feel like I would get as fatigued when working out and my muscles always felt better. There were a few times I took this during my workout with my amino product and that seemed to help a lot also. I kind of wish I would have done one scoop before my workout and one scoop with my aminos during. I think my overall recovery was a bit better and did not feel as sore and would recovery a lot quicker than normal. Also I feel this helped me gain a little more strength in my lifts and helped me pack on a little more size. I did notice that my weight did go up a little when I started to use this. I know if your not careful with how many carbs you are consuming through out the day and not properly adding them to your diet as needed it can be not so good on your stomach. I do feel I got a little more bloated in the stomach area which I did not like so much. If I am going to use a carb product I would prefer to use them more so if I am trying to bulk rather than cut but could be used either way. I never used this for after my workouts because I had protein I use instead but I could see this working for post workout also.

Side Effects:
Nothing much but did notice a little extra bloating in my stomach area if I was not careful and consumed a lot of extra carbs besides what I was getting from this product.

Overall:
For the most part I was fairly pleased with this product and what all it did for me. I think Metabolic has a good product in their product line with this carb product and feel it works and will help you get the job done. I would like to see them go away with the prop blend and list everything your getting and how much. In the other review for this that Mono1 did he said he got red lips from drinking the fruit punch flavor well for me I never had that happen to me with the blue raspberry where I got blue lips. I would most likely recommend giving this product a try if your in the need of or want to try a decent carb product. If I get the chance I would like to try some of their other flavors they have. Again I want to give a big shout out to Metabolic Nutrition for letting us troopers have the chance to give this product a try.
  • Blue Raspberry: 8/10

September 1, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Keep Glycogen Levels
  • Increase Recovery
  • Endurance
  • Too Much Dye

I would like to thank the Trooper program and Metabolic for allowing me to try their carb drink Glycoload. I have used Metabolic products in the past like ESP, PSP, and Tri-PEP; so when I saw an opportunity to try Glycoload, I was excited to give it a world. I ran this mostly in the morning, so I can gauge what the product claims it would do for me; how did it work? Let us fine out

Glycoload claims the following:

Help with Strength Training
Endurance
Facilitate faster recovery

Ingredients
I was disappointed that the product is a proprietary; there are 18,370 mg of a bunch of stuff that we do not know how much of each ingredient we are actually using. I understand companies try to keep their formulation a secret; however, other companies fully disclose their ingredients.

One of the ingredients that stand out for me is HBCD (Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin), this is a kind of designer carb that is similar to maltodextrin. It helps the product not spike your insulin levels, as some carbs drinks use more of a starchy approach; this is key for those who work out in the morning on an empty stomach.

Other ingredients in Glycoload that would have liked to see who much is there are L-Glutamine and L-Leucine, great for recovery!

Taste
I received the Fruit Punch flavor and due to the high amount of Red # 40, it has somewhat of a little chemical after taste.

Mixing wise, it was good, no foaming; however, it stained my shaker cup after about 2 weeks of using it.

I used this 1 scoop before workout, 2 scoops during workouts, and 1 scoop post workout; there are 3 protocols Metabolic has listed on the product, based how you run it, it will determine how long it last. There is a 1 scoop for 15 grams 2 scopes yields 30 grams, and 3 scoops yields 45 grams of carbs; 3 to me is a bit much for consuming a carbs drink, yet people will still drink a can of Coke with 49 grams of simple sugar, yeah, it my opinion.

Glycoload did what I needed it to do for me, despite my Channel number 5 Red Lips I would have after my workouts, Glycoload worked!

I wanted to see how my body would react using this at different times of the day; mornings to me is the best way to test a carbs product because I work out on an empty stomach. The 1st time I ran 1 scoop was for a cardio, which I used it as an intra-workout. It worked fine and I was able to do about an hour of cardio without any drop in insulin levels. However, at 2 scoops, to me is the sweat spot, on days that I would use 2 scoops, I was able to not only do cardio, but hit the weights as well. I took 1 scoop 20 mins before and 1 scoop during my workout. On Leg days, that were the major test for me, I normally place a tablespoon of Honey under my tongue to keep my glycogen levels from dropping; on Glycoload, I did not have to use honey. Legs can be brutal when done right and on an empty stomach, Glycoload did the trick. I did notice an increase in recovery time between sets and I was able to knock out an extra rep or two. On days where I had a hard work out, I would add a scoop to my protein and I noticed the DOMS were not as bad the next day, especially after legs.

There are 2 sizes available 30 servings and 60 servings; I received the 60 servings to run. Price wise, 30 servings you can find it under $30.00, which comes out to a dollar a serving; 60 servings goes for around $50.00, which comes out to .83 cents. If you were using 2 scoops, then the 30 servings would not be a sound choice.

Side Effects

Other than the red lips, there were no stomach issues, and did not feel any drop in my glycogen levels

Conclusion

Metabolic put out a good solid carb drink in Glycoload, it does what it claims; however, I would have liked to see this product without being a proprietary blend and the aggressive amount of dye in the Fruit Punch flavor, this was a factor in my overall score of the product. I personally would like to use Glycoload again in the future; however, I would have to try their unflavored version.