Big 100 Colossal Reviews

By: Met-Rx

Big 100 Colossal is a Protein Bar manufactured by Met-Rx. It is a quick, conveinient source of protein and commonly used as a meal replacement. The additional protein can help increase muscle mass as well as promote fat loss.

November 9, 2016

• Great With Milk!
  • Lots Of Calories If That Is What You Are After
  • Sugar Slightly High
  • Can Be Expensive

Greetings friends, I am here today to review one of my favorite proteins. I am constantly trying new and different protein bars, and through my 4 years of lifting I have tried a great majority. When it comes to protein bars I think we can all agree that we look out flavor, protein-content, and value. So, please enjoy this review and allow me to elaborate on these aspects. Thank you for reading!

The main source of protein in this product is SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE. Soy protein is derived from the soy bean plant, and in the form of an isolate it is considered to be a richer and more refined version vs. soy concentrate. For those who do not know, protein is an essential macro-nutrient that is needed to help repair, maintain, and grow your muscles. Whether you're trying to satisfy your macro goals, or looking to make the most of your gains after a workout, this Colossal Bar has you covered bringing in a plentiful 32g of protein per bar. Also, this protein bar is considered a meal replacement as it is followed by 400 calories on average.

One of the other main ingredients in this protein bar is Soy Crisp. Which can be responsible for the modest amount of 46 grams of carbs found in this bar.

Disclaimer: This protein-bar carries about 28 grams of sugar.

Taste/Mixability/

9.5/10 Super Cookie Crunch: This is by far my most favorite flavor, and one of the best protein bar flavors I have ever tasted. This protein bar resembles the taste of a baked cookie in which it is crunchy/crisp, filled with chocolate goodness(but not overly sweet), and your taste buds are greeted by an icing that helps bring it all together.

8/10 Peanut Butter Pretzel: This protein flavor is a treat for anyone who can appreciate pretzels and peanut-butter. This cookie is not as crunchy as the super cookie, and has more a chewy consistency. The peanut butter flavor is more apparent than the pretzel, and almost reminiscent of biting into a peanut butter sandwich. If this protein bar was a crunch instead of a chewy-bar, I would rate it 9/10.

9/10 Chocolate Toasted Almond: A moment of silence for a concoction so delightful, precise, and mouth pleasing, which is well deserved by this protein bar. If you enjoy crunchy protein bars(not overly crunchy), this protein bar will explode in your mouth with the taste of rich almonds and delicious chocolate! The most satisfying aspect of everyone of these protein bars is that they do not taste your typical protein bar that you're forced to chew down. There are delicious & you will enjoy them.

These protein bars admittedly can be slightly pricey as they run you about $3 per bar. As the name states, these protein bars are COLOSSAL. They are big in size, so mandatory they are big in macros. ~400 calories, ~32g protein per BAR.

Side Effects

No observed side effects.

Conclusion

If you are a protein bar enthusiast, looking to satisfy your macros, or need a good amount of calories to compensate for: Big 100 Colossal Bar should be your go-to protein bar. 32grams is a significant amount of protein found in each bar and with 400 calories followed, it can serve as a fulfilling meal replacement. If you are not strayed away $3 per bar, or looking to save some money buying in bulk, definitely give this protein bar a try.
  • Super Cookie Crunch: 10/10

• Lots Of Calories If That Is What You Are After
  • Causes Stomach Upset
  • Too Many Bad Ingredients
  • Corn Syrup

As someone who likes to up my carbs and sugars (carb cycling) especially on harder workout days these protein bars do come in handy. But there comes a time where you don't want too much sugar and that may be where this particular brand doesn't stack up to their competition. I'm a person who strives to eat healthy so this bar just isn't that which is why I will not be using it again unless I am very desperate.

The flavor I tried was the most popular for most guys which is the chocolate toasted almond.

The ingredients are scary if you have any sort of soy, egg, dairy or gluten allergy as it will have all of those in it. The 2nd ingredient is corn syrup and the 3rd ingredient is chocolate flavored coating. Yikes! these are not healthy choices and can come back to haunt you during a workout due to the fast sugar spikes and tough time your stomach has digesting them.

The protein amount in this bar is pretty strong, it has egg white, soy and dairy which spikes the protein amount to 31g. But the bad news here is it contains a whopping 410 calories. So if you are trying to cut this is a horrible choice. It is extremely calorie dense thanks to its very high sugar content of 31g per bar. such a protein to sugar ratio is considered toxic to any bodybuilder.

The taste was as you expect, it tastes like a candy bar. Yummy. I am not sure you could tell the difference between this and what you would find in a kids bag on halloween.

The problem with a product like this is that you have to dodge everything to avoid any sort of stomach upset. And if you have stomach upset then that will kill your chances of a good workout. Many of you out there may have an intolerance to something that this bar contains, it will be very hard to avoid disaster.

The bar costs $3 and change at the gas station, if you go online you can buy a box of them for a tad cheaper and average into the #2's. If calories to price is what you are searching for this one certainly is a good buy.

Side Effects

As mentioned this bar really tore up my stomach. You get that dull stomach upset as your stomach attempts to digest it, you also get that sugar high which makes you feel loopy and then the sugar crash after.

Conclusion

If you are desperate to bulk at any cost, these bars have plenty of calories for the price and they are big. If you are looking to be healthy or cut then you should avoid as there are far better options out there.

September 30, 2015

• Great For Inbetween Meals
  • Too Chewy
I had never heard of Met-Rx until I was looking around in my local grocery store. I was looking for a protein bar to eat after my workout. This bar has become a staple for me, either as a snack or to eat after a workout.

It contains metamyosyn protein. This is a protein blend created by Met-Rx which they include in this bar. This blend releases protein at different times to continuously provide your body with protein. Depending on the bar you can get between 26-32g of protein. Since this is a meal replacement bar, fat and carbs will be higher. 41g of carbs in the bars I had and 14g of fat. The only thing that really bothers me is the amount of sugar in the bar. There is about 25g of sugar in one bar alone. I'm not quite sure why there is a high amount of sugar in here.

However, I realized that the 25g of sugar does not really matter to me. Usually after my workout, I have skittles or sour patch kids. If I eat one serving of those, it roughly equals 26g of sugar. So I have been substituting this bar instead of candy.

Taste A
These bars are delicious. In this Big Colossal line, I have tried Cookie Crunch and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. Both flavors are excellent and I would recommend them to anyone.

Effectiveness A
For these kinds of products, it is hard to determine if they help with recovery or anything after a workout. So for effectiveness, I will comment on if it lived up to the purpose I had for it.

I am a busy guy. And usually after my workouts, I have to go somewhere. This prevents me from getting a decent meal. So I usually throw a couple of these in my gym bag. They don't take up much space so it is convenient to carry around. They do not crumble very easily. They are able to maintain their form even when taking a slight beating inside my gym bag. On the downside it can be hard to eat. The bar has like a semi-hard "shell" covering it.

Value B+
I have no idea why but protein bars seem to be expensive. This bar is around $3 for one. However my local supermarket always has a 3 for $5 deal going on. So usually get 12 for $20.

Side Effects
Besides of being a little hard to chew, no side effects. Felt no discomfort and no gas.

Conclusion
I would recommend this bar to anyone who is looking for a grab and go meal. It can be expensive but look for a deal at your local supermarket or supplement shop.
  • Super Cookie Crunch: 9/10
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: 8/10

February 26, 2013

• Great For Inbetween Meals
  • Too Chewy
This is my first review so I'll try to do a good job but bear with me.

I perchased these bars a few months ago whilst going through my bulking stage. In my opinion these are great for bulking only and could not be consumed when on a cut.

I'm not a fan of replacing meals with bars but I used these as a 'emergancy bar' when getting a meal in was going to be difficult. Or when having a weekend away they are great for getting your protein in when staying at hotels. For that purpose they work great.

The taste of these bars is delicious but they are very chewing and your jaw starts to ache towards the end.

I managed to gain in total 11 pounds during my bulk. However I can't say that it is down to these bars alone but it shows that I was hitting my macros whilst using them.

During my next bulk which will start in about 4-6 weeks I would like to use these again but I feel that they are a little to expensive. I managed to get my last lot from a friend who couldn't stand the taste so I got them very cheap but I happended to really like the taste.

Hope this review helps.

February 8, 2013

• High In Dirty Carbs
So this is my first review of a product that I have been using for years. I have tasted all of the colossal bars but I really enjoy only 2 of them - the super cookie crunch and crispy apple pie. Both of these taste phenomenal! Since I eat 7-8 meals a day and try to consume 3200-3500 calories, I need 400-500 calories per meal. These bars are just right when I am on the go.

Now it's hard to say whether or not my gains throughout the years can be attributed to the use of this product- but I can say that it does help me meet my dietary goals- which is most important to me. NO protein bars that I have had in the past can match the taste, quality, and content of these bars. They have just the right amount of protein (31 grams) and aren't too fatty or filled with sugars.

This is a product that I will continue to use through the years for convenience, satiety and nutritional goals.

Pros
31 grams protein
Best tasting bar
Fills you up
Easy to use meal replacement
Found everywhere (gas stations, CVS, supermarkets, etc.)

Cons
Too many carbs for cutting cycles
Sodium content is high
Melts real easy (if left in your car)
Price per unit ranges from $1.75 -$4.00 depending on where you purchase it.

I will reiterate that I only found the two flavors mentioned above enjoyable- all the others were either too sweet, chalky, or had poor texture.

August 11, 2011

• Great With Milk!
  • Too Much Sugar
Overall: (9/10)
This is a product that I have used for years as an easy meal, as an on the go snack, and as a more healthful alternative to other unhealthy candy bars and desserts. I like this product because of all of these reasons, plus the fact that it comes in a number of different flavors including, chocolate chip cookie dough, peanut butter cookie dough, Apple Crisp, Chocolate Graham Cracker, Peanut Butter Pretzel, Super Cookie Crunch (my favorite), sweet and salty, and there may be other that I havent tried.

Nutrition/Effectiveness: (9/10)
I also give the nutrition/effectiveness an almost perfect score because of the vast range of nutrients, and the fact that many have have the daily value. The reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 is that there is a little too much fat and carbs, but hey nobody's perfect right? Here is the nutrition facts taken off the internet:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 Bar (100g)
Calories Total 370
Iodine mcg 50%
Magnesium mg 6%
Zinc mg 50%
Copper mg 50%
Also keep in mind that the nutrition facts above are for a specific flavor, but they are very similar. One difference is that the protein content is actually as high as 32 grams per bar (Super Cookie Crunch).

Taste: (10/10)
The reason I am giving taste a 10 is because of the diversity of flavors that Met-Rx offers. I mean come on I listed quite a few, I DARE you to say you wouldnt give at LEAST 1 flavor a 10 and I cant say I would give any of them less than a 7. So in this contest diversity wins!

Value: (8/10)
Im giving value an 8 because there ARE cheaper out there. This product is all around pretty good nutrient and taste-wise, but this bar will run you 3-5 bucks apiece at a gas station or fitness club. There are, however, ways around it. For example I buy mine at Wally world for less than 7 bucks for a box of 4 bars. 1.75 is a heck of a lot cheaper than even 3 dollars individually.

June 13, 2011

• Protein
    I picked up a bunch of these bars the other day at my local grocery store because they were out of my usual Clif Builders Bars.

I was a little skeptical at first because I have had other protein bars that were not good at all, not naming any names. Anyway, I am reviewing the Crispy Apple Pie.

To start off, the taste is excellent. I would say it tastes almost truly like apple pie, delicious. I prefer the Clif bars because they are all natural, but the ingredients on this bar are actually not that bad. The fruit portion is real fruit, the protein is whey based with a whopping 31g of protein/bar. There is also a yogurt coating on the bottom of the bar made with skim milk and yogurt cultures.

The price per individual bar is a little pricy if you buy them individually. I paid $2.50 a bar, I'm sure you can find them cheaper but to me this seems a little high.

I would have to say that Met RX has done a great job with this bar. It is tasty, has a great ingredient profile (with the exception of the corn syrup), and is loaded with protein.

A great bar at a somewhat decent price. The taste is dead on delicious. I would definitely recommend this to others. I will be trying the chocolate/chocolate chunk later today hoping that it is just as good as the apple pie.

March 25, 2011

• Kind Of Chaulky
    I was able to get a bunch of these the other day at GNC and they were marked down really cheap. I got them for 50 cents a piece. That is the only reason I gave it a 10 for value. I thought I would give them a try. I was not real crazy about the flavor they had but they were the only ones they had marked down. The flavor they had was peanut butter caramel crunch. I thought they tasted a little to dry and caulky for me. For a meal replacement bar they are not to bad. I think if I could have gotten a different flavor I wouild have liked them a lot better. If your trying to cut or loose weight I would not recommened these because of whats all in them. Not sure if I would ever get them again unless I was able to get a different flavor. They are not the greatest protein bar I have had but they were not the worst either.

2.0
    2.0
      August 15, 2010

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Convenient
    • Protein
    • Too Much Sugar
    • Kind Of Chaulky
    This is quite possibly one of the worst bars I've come across with it's mile long ingredients list and either tons of sugar or sugar alcohols. Those are basically my two biggest gripes with this. It's either got so many different kinds of sugars from high fructose corn syrup to crystalline fructose that it's hard to keep track of, or the sugar alcohols really, really mess up digestion for the day.

Honestly, though, I can see why a lot of people like these bars because they are packed down with protein like crazy. Which, for the convenience of protein, I suppose this wouldn't be too bad of a bar if I was needing protein at that particular moment. But, for the protein, I just can't stomach the awful taste and the stomach pains that come soon after. Even when I drink about 20 oz of water, I still get stomach pains.

I personally won't be buying these again as I would prefer to just go hungry than ingest something that makes me feel ill. And the price isn't even worth the calories(which is why would buy something that's heavily caloric) at averaging 3-5 dollars.

There are other little tiny gripes, but I can forgive those.

May 11, 2010

• Protein
      I have been eating these protein bars for months and I cannot get tired of them. They are definitely great for a meal replacement if you are on the go. They also taste great and you will have no problem eating these. My favorite is the super cookie crunch. They do have kind of a lot of sugar but its not too bad, because they contain 32g of protein and a whole lot of other vitamins, minerals, carbs and that makes up for the sugar. If you buy these at Wall Mart they are a great deal, box of 4 for $6.62 is definitely a good deal. I saw these at a GNC in Rite Aid and they were $8.99,wtf, so definitely Wall Mart is the place to go. My only complaint is that soy protein is the first ingredient on the list and not whey. But hey, you cant beat the taste and price, so maybe soy isn't that bad.