PreWRKT Reviews

By: MDRN Athlete

Overall
Overall
9.2
Thanks to MDRN Athlete for sending it out!

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Value If On Sale
  • Great Focus
  • Expensive Without A Discount
  • Artificial Flavors
  • Artificial Sweeteners
  • Artificial Colors

Hello all! Full intro on myself can be found on the forum here: https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=35432.0

First off, thank you to MDRN ATHLETE for partnering with SR.com and allowing me to try your "NEXT GENERATION PRE-WORKOUT" Once I saw the supplement facts panel, I knew this was a product that I wanted to try. Not only is this pre loaded with all the goodies many of us gym junkies have come to know and love but this also includes the new and exciting stimulant Dynamine! If you have not heard of this ingredient yet, I will explain more in the ingredient profile section but basically this is Compound Solutions newest discovery to try and mimic the effects of DMAA without any of the negatives. Compound Solutions is also the company that brought us TeaCrine (which is also included in this product).

****As a note in terms of manufacturing and quality control for this product, I did weigh out the entire tub when I received it brand new. The total amount of product that is supposed to be in the container is 324 grams. The tub I received weighed only 317 grams, which equals out to being about a half scoop short. While this difference is within acceptable tolerance; if you are a person who is paying a premium price for a premium product, you probably want to know that you are receiving the full 20 servings.

If my math is correct, this product is over 85% active ingredients and less than 15% flavors, colors, sweeteners etc. That is a great start in my book and should be for others if you happen to look at stats like this for a supplement. The first batch of ingredients for this product is a VitaBlend. Nothing too exciting here. Just solid doses of Vitamin C and a few B vitamins. The guts and glory of this pre are:

SwoleMatrix

L-Citrulline -6 grams

L-Citrulline is an amino acid that is converted to L-arginine in the kidneys. It has been shown to raise plasma levels of arginine over a longer period of time than supplementing with L-arginine itself. Clinical studies have shown l-citrulline to:
-Improve both aerobic and anaerobic performance
-Delay fatigue and reduces muscle soreness
-Increase nitric oxide levels
-Increase growth hormone by 66.8%

CarnoSyn (beta-alanine) -3.2grams

Beta-alanine is a modified version of the amino acid alanine. When beta-alanine is ingested, it turns into the molecule carnosine, which acts as an acid buffer in the body and offers protection against exercise-induced lactic acid production. (Large doses of beta-alanine may cause a tingling feeling called paresthesia. It is a harmless side effect.) Studies have shown beta-alanine to:
-Enhance muscular endurance and workload
-Reduce muscular fatigue
-Buffer lactic acid

Betaine - 2 grams

Betaine (trimethylglycine) is a component of beet root and an active metabolite of choline. Betaine is gaining more and more popularity in the fitness industry as a performance enhancing supplement shown to increase endurance and strength. Similar to creatine, betaine acts as an osmoregulator, increasing intracellular hydration and protecting against muscle damage from intense training.

Agmatine - 1 gram

Agmatine is a multi-function powerhouse. It is derived from the amino acid l-arginine and is sometimes called "super-arginine". Agmatine is stored in neurons and aids in central nervous system functions as a neuromodulator and neurotransmitter. It also plays a vital role in NO synthesis, hence its popularity as a pump inducing addition to many supplements. Some of agmatine's many benefits include:
-Increased nitric oxide production
-Aids in mental clarity and focus as a nootropic
-Helps promote insulin sensitivity driving nutrients into the muscles
-Reduces short term neuropathic pain

NueroHack Complex

N-Acetly-L-Tyrosine (NALT) - 750mg

NALT is a more soluble form of l-tyrosine, an amino acid that is involved in producing catecholamines like dopamine and adrenaline. More dopamine and adrenaline can equate to better focus and more energy during your workout, enhancing mind-muscle connection and eliminating distractions in the gym.

Alpha-GPC - 300mg

Alpha-GPC is an exceptional natural nootropic providing a boost in mental function, focus and cognition. Alpha-GPC works by supplying choline which is a precursor to acetylcholine. We've included this choline source to work synergistically in our NeuroHack complex providing laser focus, mental clarity, cognition and enhanced mind-muscle connection.

Dynamine 40% - 250mg

The NEWEST ground-breaking stimulant to hit the supplement industry! Dynamine is methylliberine, a purine alkaloid found in the kucha tea leaf. Its molecular structure is similar to theacrine (aka TeaCrine) and is believed to behave in similar ways in the body. Like theacrine, methylliberine may amplify feelings of energy, mood and focus by activating dopamine receptors and other key neurotransmitters, inhibiting adenosine receptors, all without elevating heart rate or blood pressure.

TeaCrine 40% - 125mg

The KING of long-lasting crash-free energy and the perfect addition to caffeine. TeaCrine is a patent-pending compound containing pure theacrine, which can be found in natural sources such as the Camellia assamica var. kucha tealeaf, coffee and certain exotic fruits. A nature-identical compound, TeaCrine delivers energy, mental clarity, and improved motivation and mood. It does not increase heart rate or blood pressure and is not a stimulant.

L-Theanine - 100mg

L-Theanine is a relaxing but non-sedating amino acid that works synergistically with stimulants like caffeine as it can 'take the edge off' high stimulant use. A combination of l-theanine with caffeine has also shown to be synergistic in promoting cognition and attention.

Huperzine-A - 50mcg

Huperzine-A is a compound extracted from the herbs of the Huperziceae family. It is known as an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, which means that it stops an enzyme from breaking down acetylcholine which results in increases in acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is known as the learning neurotransmitter, and is involved in muscle contraction as well. Increasing levels of acetylcholine is routinely used as a technique amongst weight-lifters and scholars.

Caffeine - 300mg

No introduction needed here. Caffeine is a powerful stimulant and classified as a nootropic because it sensitizes neurons and provides mental stimulation. Enhanced energy, strength, endurance, cognition and focus are all benefits resulting from caffeine intake.

Absorption Aid

BioPerine - 5mg

What good is the best formulated pre-workout on the market if you have trouble absorbing all those nutrients. Enter BioPerine. BioPerine is a patented extract obtained from black pepper fruits (Piper nigrum) standardized to a minimum 95% Piperine. It has been used as a bioavailability enhancer for over 20 years and in general, BioPerine was found to enhance absorption of nutrients by at least 30%.

As you can see, a fully transparent label with everything dosed as any gym junkie would expect and everything is there for a purpose. Plus there are multiple ingredients where the registered version is used, signifying the highest quality form available. While searching the internet on this product, the main complaint that I have seen about the ingredients is that there is no creatine included. Personally, I am ok with that as I can get my creatine in many other routes. I can understand this complaint but do not believe it takes anything away from how this product has been formulated. In a perfect world, I would like to see the Alpha-GPC dose increased a bit (mainly because I really like that ingredient) but in the real world this product looks amazing on paper.

Taste >> When deciding the claim this product, I looked on their website and seen this comes in three flavors (Tiger's Blood, Cotton Candy and Sour Gummy). All three of those sound amazing to me so I left it up to the rep to decide which flavor to send. I received the Tiger's Blood flavor, which seems to be their primary focus with this product in terms of advertising and marketing. Many of the photos and posts I see of this product have this flavor front and center. While the name Tiger's Blood really doesn't give you an idea of what flavor to expect; I knew from past experiences that this should be a tropical taste with some coconut. Honestly, the only flavor I taste with this product is coconut. I believe there is supposed to be some cherry or berry flavor as well but I do not get that. This is the same no matter how much water I chose to use. I experimented with eight ounces all the way up to 24 ounces of water per scoop. Even at 24 ounces of water, the coconut flavor was still strong and enjoyable. If you enjoy coconut flavored products, the Tiger's Blood flavor is definitely for you.

Mixability >> This product is no tiny scoop! Each serving is just over 16 grams of product and I mixed using a range of water amounts. No matter the amount of water used, this supplement mixed almost perfectly. There was very little foam and what foam was there dissipated quickly. After about ten seconds of shaking in a blender bottle (without the blender ball) I would say 95% of the product was dissolved. After shaking you could see a few granules start to settle at the bottom but extremely minimal. Well done by MDRN ATHLETE in this category for a product with a high percentage of active ingredients and few fillers/garbage.

Dosing >> Per the tub, take one scoop with 8-10 ounces of water 20-30 minutes before training. Start with 1/2 scoop or less to assess tolerance. They also warn that some individuals may experience the harmless tingling, which is nice of them.

Before I get into the effectiveness section, I am going to detail a little about the training style that I used during this product run. I typically lift weights between four and six days a week. The exact number of sessions will depend on what other commitments I have for that specific week. I follow somewhat of a bro split when it comes to lifting, separating out back, chest, legs, shoulders, arms and if I train on a sixth day, that is a freebie and I will hit whatever I feel like. If I only train four days in a week, I will combine back with biceps and shoulders with triceps, then have legs and chest. My workouts will start with a heavy compound movement for the muscle group then move into more hypertrophy training using free weights and machines. I also typically do LISS cardio seven days a week. Sometimes in the morning and sometimes in the evening after weight training.

Now that we got that information out of the way, one scoop of this pre was great for each and every workout that I did. No matter the length or difficulty, this product was there to push me through the entire workout. In the energy department, I experienced a great mix of energy from the beginning thanks to the caffeine and long-term energy from the Dynamine and TeaCrine. The energy profile would even take me beyond the workout for another few hours. This was perfect if I happened to be doing cardio after the workout because I did not need to take something else to get me motivated for the cardio session. The long-lasting energy was also great if I happened to be going to work after the gym. I would not crash and still have the energy to complete the tasks at work.

Outside of the energy, this pre also provided great pumps, muscle power, muscle endurance and focus during my workouts. The dose of Citrulline is higher than what I have seen and used in many other pre-workouts. That combined with the full dose of Beta-Alanine along with the Betaine and Agmatine made my muscles work and feel amazing, especially if I happen to be doing higher reps. The last aspect I will speak about is the focus that I had in the gym while using this. I knew what to expect in terms of focus from my previous use of TeaCrine in other products but adding in the Dynamine and Alpha-GPC was icing on the cake. I would show up, put my headphones in and everything in the gym around me just seemed to disappear. My focus would solely be on the exercise that I was doing and the goals I had for each set. I would sometimes not even realize what song was playing on my phone and it was easy to ignore any incoming alerts. It was also easy to ignore other people in the gym around me; which most of the time is ok unless someone is trying to get your attention to ask for help or a question. These feelings combined with the energy profile made it feel like I could stay in the gym and lift for hour after hour.

From what I can find on the web, you can purchase this supplement directly from the company's website or from the company on Amazon. The 20 serving tub is listed for $43.00 on both sites. You can also purchase a sample pack from the company's site which includes one serving of each flavor (three total) for $7.00.

At the listed retail price, the cost per serving is $2.15. Personally, my threshold for a top tier pre-workout is at the $2 per serving mark. Many other fully loaded products that this competes with are around that price point. As this is a relatively new company, they may need to do some experimenting on pricing to find their sweet spot in the market. Part way through my tub, the company posted a 20% off discount for first time customers, which is still currently listed as active as of 4/3/2018. With that discount, the cost per scoop moves down to $1.72 which is definitely worth it for the ingredients and doses you get. At the discounted rate, my value rating would be a 9. At the retail price, my value rating drops to a 7.

Side Effects

With all the good I had to say about this product in the effectiveness section; there were some odd side effects that I need to speak about. The first happened only if I drank the pre-workout quickly. No matter the amount of water I used, if I consumed the entire scoop in under five minutes, I would experience some tightness in my chest. I would relate it to that feeling when you have a chest cold and can't take a deep breath. When I experienced this, I could still take a deep breath without any trouble but the tightness feeling stayed with me for about an hour. This side effect did not occur if I took my time and sipped the pre-workout over about thirty minutes.

The other side effect worth mentioning is this product seemed to cause me to yawn throughout my entire workout. It was not because I was tired but the need to yawn was always present after consuming this. This did not affect my energy levels or productivity in the gym but was just more of a nuisance. During the times when I had tightness in my chest, I could say it was my body's natural reaction to try and get more air into my lungs. On the days where I did not have the tightness feeling, the yawning was still there and I have no idea why.

Another possible side effect that I will bring to your attention has to do with the energy carry over that I experienced and talked about. If you consume this product in the morning or early afternoon, this effect is great and will likely be useful for you. However, if you take this in the evening, the energy carry over may be a negative and affect your ability to wind down at night for bed.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I am very happy with the results I received from running this product. The effectiveness I received in the gym was top notch and right up there with many of the other premium pre-workout products that I have used in the past. I also loved the energy and focus carry over from the combo of the caffeine, Dynamine and TeaCrine. The draw backs on this product is the retail pricing and the side effects I experienced. With the discount currently available, the pricing aspect is removed. The first side effect was solved with some planning while the other remained an issue for the entire tub. My recommendations to the company: I would scale back the coconut flavor in Tiger's Blood to allow some of the others to come through and I would drop the artificial colors. There is no reason that this product needs to be such a vibrant color. Once again, thank you to MDRN ATHLETE and SR.com for allowing me the opportunity to run this product!

Thank you for reading my review and let me know if you have any questions.
  • Tiger's Blood: 7/10

• DaSlaya
    April 3, 2018

Great Review and very detailed. Nicely done. This stuff looks great, and once I am recovered and back in the gym I may have to give this a whirl! Dynamine sounds like some good stuff!

• Clipper83
    April 3, 2018

I'd personally rate the value on the coupon code, if it's a year round one. Good review though.

April 3, 2018

@Clipper83 The coupon is only for first time customers and one time use. Thoughts on that as it relates to value?

Thank you!

@DaSlaya Thank you!

I can't speak specifically to Dynamine on its own since it was paired with caffeine and TeaCrine in this product.

• royalapple
    April 4, 2018

Great review! Just got mine. Cotton Candy. Keep it up!

April 4, 2018

@royalapple Thank you!

Will be interested to see your review, especially on the flavor.

• Clipper83
    April 5, 2018

They just made a permanent coupon code SR20 that can be used by anyone, no limits.

April 5, 2018

@Clipper83 That is great news to hear!

Is it just me or is the edit button gone? I only see the "Add Update" button which is for text but does not allow me to adjust the ratings scale.