(Better than 16% in Pre-Workout > Stimulant)

PreWRKT is a Pre-Workout manufactured by MDRN Athlete. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

April 25, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Quick Energy
  • DynamineTeaCrineCombo
  • Determined
  • Great Focus
  • Weird Bitter Taste Sometimes

MDRN Good Job!

I want to thank MDRN for sending me this product for review. When I saw the profile...I knew I had to test it. I've always wanted to try Dynamine and TeaCrine together and this has it. It also has other ingredients that I enjoy such as NALT and AlphaGPC. Here we go.

Fully Disclosed Label - Good Job MDRN!

The first category is called a "VitaBlend" containing 4 ingredients:

- Vitamin C - 300mg - this was a smart move. Vitamin C contains many healing benefits. This also helps increase N.O levels by reducing free radicals. Some don't even use Vitamin C. Good job MDRN.

- Niacin - 30mg - knows as B3. This is a powerful antioxidant and helps burn fat. Also helps cleanse the body from toxins.

- Vitamin B6 - 10mg - this is a very important vitamin that deals with many metabolic productions and breakdowns. Helps break down carbs and helps improve protein synthesis. Most Pre-Workouts use B6 because it's so beneficial.

- Vitamin B12 - 200mcg - this vitamin deals with DNA synthesis and is responsible for the function of blood and nerve cells. Most Pre-Workouts use this as well due to how beneficial it is.

* I can see more Pre-Workout adding Vitamin C making it a "modern" thing to do. The vitamins above have much more benefits than I listed, but overall I approve.

The second category is called a "SwoleMatrix" containing 4 ingredients:

- L-Citrulline - 6g - they chose pure citrulline which I like. This is targeted for the pump and is superior over other N.O ingredients for being able to raise plasma levels longer. 6g is plenty. I like 8g, but that's me just being picky. 6g Citrulline is more than what most use. Most are 8g Citrulline Malate at a 1:1 ratio which is only 4g pure citrulline. This has 6g. Good job MDRN.

- Beta-Alanine (CarnoSyn)- 3.2g - this is your "clinical dose". This is targeted to buffer the burn while training to help train longer. They didn't add Creatine and most are catching on, but I personally think they should of treated Beta how they treated Creatine and not put it in a Pre-Workout. Oh well. I did not get any tingles. Most products don't give me tingles.

- Betaine Anhydrous- 2g - Yummy! I love Betaine. This is used to target the pump, but also has other benefits. I'm glad it's 2g and not 1.5g. MDRN feels this also acts similar to Creatine, so maybe that's why there is none added. Betaine does a great job in pulling water into the muscles.

- Agmatine- 1g - I don't like Agmatine. I just can't mentally find a way to pretend it works for me. I'm glad it's only 1g. I would of preferred Nitrosigine. I asked MDRN why they chose Agmatine over Nitrosigine and they said they found better results with Agmatine. No worries. I understand.

*The "SwoleMatrix" could use a little work personally, but this product is geared towards energy and focus mainly. They do claim "Unrivaled Strength and Pumps"; the pump needed some work to achieve, but I made it happen and it felt great. I feel Nitrosigine or Glycerol would of been a cherry on top leading to "unrivaled pumps".

The third category is called a "NeuroHack Complex" containing 7 ingredients: This is where the product shines the most.

- N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine (NALT) - 750mg- this is an amino acid that helps your body produce neurotransmitters. I thought 350-500mg was doing something, but wow this is higher than what most products use. Regarding the whole NALT vs Regular L-Tyrosine. I understand some prefer Regular, but this worked for me.

- Alpha-GPC - 300mg - mind muscle connection! This is a precursor to acetylcholine by providing choline. This helps me contract harder and lift more. 300mg is a popular dose. Personally, the more the better. I have seen 600mg in one product, but this already has a high amount of NALT, so I'll trust their combination. Plus, it works. This is personally the best choline source to take.

- Methylliberine (as Dynamine) - 250mg - actually 40% of that, but this is a higher than normal dose that is newly being used. This is the main reason I wanted to try this product. Especially, that TeaCrine is involved as well. This is a newly used ingredient that is similar to TeaCrine, but faster acting and short living. It flirts around with our dopamine levels providing quick energy and focus. It's a crash free purine alkaloid that doesn't make the heart race or effect sleep.

- Theacrine - 125mg - actually 40% of that, but this is a popular dose. I'm a fan of TeaCrine. TeaCrine is also a crash free purine alkaloid that doesn't make the heart race or effect sleep. This alone is great. It is last longing and works even better when stacked with Dynamine and Caffeine.

- L-Theanine - 100mg - this has been shown to increase attention. It also keeps the energy clean from caffeine.

- Huperzine A - 50mcg - this is used to prevent the breakdown of acetylcholine. This is a smart move to help enhance the GPC, which means even harder contractions! I love ingredients that help other ingredients. I will say I feel it could be a little higher, but hey it worked.

- Caffeine Anhydrous- 300mg - we all know this. I'm glad it's just one caffeine source. 300mg is a great dose. I like this dose because it's not too high or too low and flows with their claim "Crash-free Energy and Focus". This isn't a stim product, so 300mg balances great with the Dynamine and TeaCrine.

*I love the fact that Dynamine and TeaCrine are both together. I like how high the NALT is even though some would prefer regular Tyrosine. The GPC and Huperzine really work great together for me. Overall, this "NeuroHack Complex" is brilliant and I can see the mind of a pharmacist coming up with it.

The last category is called "Absorption Aid" containing 1 ingredient:

- Black Pepper Extract- 5mg - this is used to help the body absorb the above nutrients more effectively. I like that.

- Taste - It smelt like Cotton Candy and tasted really good. The first two days I got this extreme bitter taste. More than bitter, I can't even explain. It lasted all day. Some say Agmatine, but I've tried Agmatine and never have I had that happen. I even had that happen with products that don't contain Agmatine, but not this bad. It went away, but there were random times I thought I still tasted it. Overall, dislike the bitterness, it tasted great and smooth. I haven't tried any other flavor. I chose Cotton Candy because it's usually a successful flavor and it was. That bitterness just really stood out to me.

- Mixability - It mixes fine overall. No foam. There are some floaters floating around. You can see in the photo. Nothing left on my lips after drinking even though there were floaters, but besides that it mixes easily. Even when I added powdered carbs.

- Dosing - I take one scoop. I have not tried half a scoop. Some feel less may be more. I feel more is more, but I never took two scoops. I took 1 scoop about 30-40min before training in the morning. A 16.2g scoop is a nice size and it was 20 scoops on the dot! Good job MDRN.

This kicks in really fast for me. Like within 5min believe it or not. EVERYTIME. It never failed. This is the fastest working Pre-Workout I've had for sure. No jitters. No shakes. It has to be the Dynamine. I feel really good when I'm on this overall. I train in the morning so I know if something wakes me up. Out of every Pre-Workout I reviewed so far, I would buy this over all them to be honest. But, there are a couple more I want to try to see where this ranks overall.

Since I was so focused I did a good job on getting a pump, even though there is Agmatine. I don't like Agmatine and usually don't respond well to it. I would still like to see no Agmatine and some Nitrosigine or Glycerol. I love the 2g Betaine. Even though I feel the pump could of came more easily...once I got the pump...it felt great.

- Focus & Energy - Within minutes I got in the zone. I just felt ready and determined. I knew what I had to do. Even when I came home. I cleaned the house better and did more on IG this past month more than usual. The Dynamine really kicks in fast and the TeaCrine extended that. The combination is just beautiful. Not many....actually I don't think anyone has combined these 2 ingredients into a Pre-Workout yet. No jitters or shakes. People talk about the TeaCrine and Caffeine combo, well this has a Dynamine, TeaCrine, and Caffeine combo! Dynamine and TeaCrine are not stimulants, so I never had to worry about a sweats or a crazy come down. Even though they act similar to caffeine which is a stimulant, they are not stimulants. Personally it doesn't make sense to take caffeine without TeaCrine and Dynamine after trying this. No it's not tunnel vision, but it's enough to come close without the crash. I enjoy stims, but I also enjoy the way nootropics feel as well.

- Strength & Power - The nootropics like GPC and NALT really increased my mind muscle connection. The Huperzine extended those ingredients which did lead to higher strength and muscle output. I'm big on Choline and this does a good job increasing grip strength and determination. Most of everything in life is all mental, but I noticed a difference. I think I was so focus/determined that I experimented and actually lifted more than I thought. That's another way this Pre-Workout lead me to more muscle output.

- Endurance: I found myself training longer than usual. This also helped me do more outside the gym that helped get me closer to my goals. For instance, I adjusted my calories for some reason this month. I started reading more. All those little things increased my mental state which increased my physical state. Sounds cheesy, but this last month has been fun while taking this. I noticed it made a difference beyond building muscle which is my goal.

- Pump - Again about the pump. I don't want you to think because it took me time to get the pump or that the "SwoleMatrix" could use a little work that I'm going to overall judge harder. If it didn't do everything else, then yes, overall this would of sucked. But, I made the pump happen and could just add ingredients myself. And that's what I did a couple times...I stacked VasoMax and blew up like a balloon. Plus, we are all different. You may get an easy wicked pump, but for me it took work by itself, but that's okay.

At 20 servings this is one of the highest priced products I've seen. I can't blame them for increasing the price a little though. It contains both Dynamine and TeaCrine which some Pre-Workout containing TeaCrine alone cost almost as much. I feel the price is fair for the profile. The NALT is higher than usual as well. I think it's worth the website price of $43 and any discount is a blessing. I see it on Amazon for the same price. This is a fairly new product so there aren't many places to buy it from.

Side Effects

None. No jitters. No shakes. No diarrhea. No unwanted feelings or effects. My sleep was never effected.

Conclusion

Overall, the profile is beautiful and works for me. The "NeuroHack Complex" did an awesome job getting me in the zone and increasing my mind muscle connection. I felt stronger and got more done in and outside the gym. I would recommend it, especially, for the Dynamine and TeaCrine combo. I wanted this specifically for that combo and it did not fail. Even though I think the "SwoleMatrix" could use a little work, the pumps were there. There are a couple other Pre-Workout products that I want to try before knowing where this ranks overall, but this does rank highest out of the preworkout reviews I've done so far.

EDIT/NOTE

I just saw before submitting this, that Yeah Buddy now has both TeaCrine and Dynamine together. I made a statement that this was the only product with both because it was, but now it was the first to have both and some are joining. Thank you for reading.
  • Cotton Candy: 10/10

Overall
Overall
5.7
5.4
  April 15, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Great Pumps
  • Pharmacist Formulated
  • Tightness In Chest
  • Reduced Focus
  • Inconsistent
  • No Focus
  • Expensive Without A Discount
  • Artificial Sweeteners
  • Artificial Flavors
  • Artificial Colors
  • Lucid Feeling

Pre-Workout's are a dime a dozen in a saturated market, mostly with products full of fillers so let us take a look at a pharmaceutical grade product.

Big thank you to MDRN Athlete for sending this my way. I'm Just your average athlete who is trying to be the best they can be at fitness. Since I love PWO products and have tried many over the years, I have developed a basic criteria on how I grade each of them for their performance value. My workout style is a mix of Barbell complexes/Functional fitness/Olympic lifting, bro lifting (pump chaser) and sprinting/explosive speed workouts. for me, a successful PWO is one that can shine through all of my workouts (yes, it is a lot to ask for especially with cardio) so with that said, let us see how MDRN's product does.

So the profile on this is huge. Both Smashley and DMF have given thorough breakdowns of the ingredients list and there really is not much more I can add to both of their stellar reviews. With that being said I have chosen some ingredients to highlight for myself because I feel that they are important to talk about.

The first cluster of ingredients is dedicated to pump and blood flow.
They went with 6g of L-Citrulline and 1g of Agmatine which are both in the sweet spot range for these ingredients, as well as some other ingredients but for the sake of my review, I am only going to talk about these 2.

L-Citrulline is an amino acid. It is turned into L-arginine in the kidneys after supplementation, which means L-citrulline supplementation is a more effective method of increasing L-arginine levels in the body than L-arginine supplementation.

Second key player of the pump is Agmatine. Agmatine is the old school of pump inducing ingredients. Agmatine can also inhibit nitric oxide synthase enzymes, which allows it to regulate elevated levels of nitric oxide. It is also considered to be a neurotransmitter and neuromodulator because it is stored in the neurons while being available for use.

The second cluster of ingredients is geared towards focus.
I will be discussing Alpha-GPC, Dynamine, and TeaCrine.

Alpha-GPC is dosed at 300mg.
Alpha-glycerophosphocholine (Alpha-GPC or -GPC) is a cholinergic compound that is used for its cognitive-promoting properties, and to enhance power output in athletes. It appears to also support cellular membranes and may aid in preventing cognitive decline. Although found in a variety of food products that are also rich in choline, appears to be pharmacologically active at higher doses. The standard dosing range is 300mg-600mg.

Dynamine 250mg:
Dynamine is methylliberine, a purine alkaloid found in the Kucha tea leaf. Its molecular structure is similar to theacrine (aka TeaCrine) and is believed to behave in similar ways in the body. Like theacrine, methylliberine may amplify feelings of energy, mood and focus by activating dopamine receptors and other key neurotransmitters, inhibiting adenosine receptors, all without elevating heart rate or blood pressure. This is still a relatively new ingredient so the dosing protocols have not been well established yet to show the best synergistic use.

TeaCrine 125mg:
Theacrine is an alkaloid structurally similar to caffeine, and preliminary evidence suggests that it activates similar signalling pathways. The preliminary evidence also suggests less tolerance with theacrine. Although the role is not fully elucidated, theacrine appears to be capable of causing adenosine signaling changes similar to caffeine and similar to the role on adenosine signaling, theacrine may influence dopaminergic signaling in the same manner caffeine does through adenosine signaling so basically the same mental triggering that caffeine does, without the harshness of caffeine.

Finally, on top of these ingredients, they include 300mg of Caffeine.

Again, this is not the full list of ingredients for the product, just the ones I chose to talk about because I feel like they are the "big hitters" of the product.

After seeing the other review I will say I was lucky enough to receive the cotton candy flavored version of this. At first, I was not thrilled to try it because I never liked cotton candy as a kid, but I thought hey....this is why we review things so if it tastes bad you can talk about it.

So honestly, it tastes better than I thought. It's not great, but it is not bad. The flavor is hard to describe because I would say its a very mild cotton candy flavor, but they tried. There is a bitter note at the end, and it's directly due to the Agmatine. If anyone has ever tried that ingredient by itself, then you know what I am talking about.

Mixability was easy with 10oz of water in a shaker cup. Just give it a good shake before you throw it down and there are no problems.

Dosing is 1 scoop which is at 16g which is fairly large for a Pre.

So here is where a product like this would shine. It is built by a pharmacist, every ingredient was carefully chosen to deliver the best effect, and most ingredients were dosed at clinically proven amounts. The only problem is, the product didn't shine. It was probably one of the most inconsistent products I have used in a long time. The only thing I would really notice from this was a pump, but at the same time, I still had to work for it with heavy volume training and repeated drop sets. The focus section of this product was essentially non-existent. I would find myself struggling to keep a strong mental focus on what I was trying to do, in fact, it was more like I had ADHD in the gym rather than being locked in on destroying my workout.

Eluding to this being inconsistent, there were days that it felt like I had not taken anything prior to working out, and all the weights felt heavier and running felt more laborious. Then there were other days where it felt like I hooked a car battery up to my downstairs mix-up and was balancing myself between being awesome in the gym and having a full-blown stroke. I tried taking this with a meal of simple carbs, I tried taking this 30 minutes prior to eating and working out, I tried taking it on an empty stomach, and I tried taking this completely fasted. Every different version generated different results, without showing signs of consistency.

Additionally, as others have noted, there was some tightness in my chest and moments of feeling lucid which were not enjoyable, and sometimes it was strong enough to the point where I just said the hell with it and left my workout.

So the value is a changing thing. It sells for $43 on MDRN's website but they were generous enough to create a 20% off SR code which drops the price down to $34.40 and for 20 servings that is $1.72 per serving. This is a premium price for a pre-workout, especially one that has shown these inconsistencies.

Side Effects

I have already talked about the side effects but in case you missed it the product is inconsistent on how effective it is, can cause a tightness feeling in your chest, feeling lucid, and reverse effect on focus.

Conclusion

I'm staying away from this. I will not buy it again due to the issues that I had with it. I know they tried with the ingredients and tried to put together a clear labeled product that was dosed appropriately, but it just didn't happen. I will gladly stick to my less pharma-backed Pre-Workouts like Total War, El Jefe, and Pathogen. The positive aspect of products like these is it is different for everyone, so while this was not my cup of tea, it might work for someone else, however it does not get an approval from me.
  • Cotton Candy: 6/10

5.4
  April 12, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Disclosed Label
  • Great Pumps
  • Proper Doses
  • No Focus

I've used a number of "exotic stim" pres over the years, DMAA, DMHA, J. Regia, etc. This is my first experience with dynamine.

I'm a competing powerlifter getting ready for a competition in June. I train 5 days a week, and am currently doing a high frequency training program, bench 5x week, squat and deadlift 3x a week. My training sessions are 70-90 minutes long, and I always start with light cardio and mobility work. I train fasted at 5AM (7AM on Saturdays).

Kudos to MDRN Athlete for giving us an open label.

1 scoop of MDRN Athlete pre workout is 16g. This is fairly large, so I expect to see well dosed ingredients (v.s. 4g pre workouts that are usually prop-blend stim bombs).

MDRN Athlete did not disappoint. We have:
6g Citrulline- This amino acid converts to arginine in the kidneys. It's better at providing pumps than arginine because it's more bioavailable. It can also help with endurance. 6g is a generous dose.

3.2g Carnosyn- This is a trademarked form of beta alanine. It can improve endurance in 60-240 second bouts. Not convinced this is very useful for weightlifting, but if you pursue more endurance type sports, it may be more helpful. 3.2g is a clinical dose.

2g Betaine- This is an amino acid that people supplement with to improve heart health, digestion, and to increase muscle power. 2g is a fair dose.

1g Agmatine- This is a metabolite of arginine. It is used to produce pumps and as a glucose disposal agent. 1g is a good dose.

750mg NALT- This is a special form of tyrosine and is used to reduce stress. 750mg is a good dose.

300mg Alpha GPC- This is a cholinergic that is used as a nootropic and to increase power output. 300mg is enough for the mental benefits, but you want 600mg to increase power output.

250mg Dynamine (40%)- This is a new stimulant from Compound Solutions. It's supposed to increase energy, mood, and focus.

125mg Teacrine (40%) This is a trademarked form of theacrine. It is like a milder form of caffeine and it has a longer halflife. There is 50mg total teacrine in this product. That's the minimum that you want to see (any less can actually make you drowsy).

100mg L-Theanine- This amino acid is used to take off some of the jitteriness that comes with caffeine and other stimulants.

50mcg Huperizine A- This is also a nootropic. It's similar to Alpha GPC. It may need to be cycled.

300mg Caffeine- This tells us that MDRN pre is intended to be a heavy hitter. 300mg is on the higher end in my book.

5mg BioPerine- This is a trademarked form of piperine. It can improve the absorbability of some other supplements. I do not think, however, that any of the supplements it has been tested on are present in this product. Alas, many companies add it because it sounds cool, but it's often not actually doing anything productive.

I got Tiger Blood, and unfortunately, tiger blood means coconut (not sure why). I hate coconut. The taste wasn't objectively bad. It wasn't overly sweet or bitter or anything, but I hated it. Ugh!

Why can't Tiger Blood be something cool?

The mixability was fine. There wasn't any excessive foaming or anything. There was a bit of residue on the sides of my shaker bottle, but that's not surprising. Alpha-GPC can cause that.

I started with a half a scoop because I wasn't sure how the dynamine would affect me. It wasn't that strong, so I moved up to a full scoop

I wanted to like this pre-workout. It has good ingredients at effective doses, but I did not respond well to the dynamine.

Instead of improving my focus, it actually made my focus worse. I felt spacey and almost lightheaded after the pre, and I would have to force myself to concentrate during my workouts.

The energy was there, but it was subtle. I was expecting more of a kick in the pants given the caffeine and the theacrine. My guess is the dynamine counteracted them instead of acting synergistically with them.

The pumps were pretty good. I do focus on strength more than hypertrophy, but I have a fair amount of fluff work in my program.

1 tub of MDRN Athlete is $43 and has 20 servings. This is pretty expensive, $2.15/serving. Right now, there is a coupon that brings it down to 34.40 ($1.72/serving). This is better, but it's still high.

Similarly formulated pres can be found for $1-$1.5/workout. Also, this product isn't widely available yet. The only options I've seen were getting it direct or from amazon. If the product becomes available in more stores, the price will likely come down.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Alas, this pre-workout just didn't do it for me. It's possible that I'm just a poor responder to dynamine, and that other people will like this product a lot more. That remains to be seen.

9.2
  April 3, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Value If On Sale
  • Great Focus
  • Expensive Without A Discount
  • Artificial Flavors
  • Artificial Sweeteners
  • Artificial Colors

Hello all! Full intro on myself can be found on the forum here: https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=35432.0

First off, thank you to MDRN ATHLETE for partnering with SR.com and allowing me to try your "NEXT GENERATION PRE-WORKOUT" Once I saw the supplement facts panel, I knew this was a product that I wanted to try. Not only is this pre loaded with all the goodies many of us gym junkies have come to know and love but this also includes the new and exciting stimulant Dynamine! If you have not heard of this ingredient yet, I will explain more in the ingredient profile section but basically this is Compound Solutions newest discovery to try and mimic the effects of DMAA without any of the negatives. Compound Solutions is also the company that brought us TeaCrine (which is also included in this product).

****As a note in terms of manufacturing and quality control for this product, I did weigh out the entire tub when I received it brand new. The total amount of product that is supposed to be in the container is 324 grams. The tub I received weighed only 317 grams, which equals out to being about a half scoop short. While this difference is within acceptable tolerance; if you are a person who is paying a premium price for a premium product, you probably want to know that you are receiving the full 20 servings.

If my math is correct, this product is over 85% active ingredients and less than 15% flavors, colors, sweeteners etc. That is a great start in my book and should be for others if you happen to look at stats like this for a supplement. The first batch of ingredients for this product is a VitaBlend. Nothing too exciting here. Just solid doses of Vitamin C and a few B vitamins. The guts and glory of this pre are:

SwoleMatrix

L-Citrulline -6 grams

L-Citrulline is an amino acid that is converted to L-arginine in the kidneys. It has been shown to raise plasma levels of arginine over a longer period of time than supplementing with L-arginine itself. Clinical studies have shown l-citrulline to:
-Improve both aerobic and anaerobic performance
-Delay fatigue and reduces muscle soreness
-Increase nitric oxide levels
-Increase growth hormone by 66.8%

CarnoSyn (beta-alanine) -3.2grams

Beta-alanine is a modified version of the amino acid alanine. When beta-alanine is ingested, it turns into the molecule carnosine, which acts as an acid buffer in the body and offers protection against exercise-induced lactic acid production. (Large doses of beta-alanine may cause a tingling feeling called paresthesia. It is a harmless side effect.) Studies have shown beta-alanine to:
-Enhance muscular endurance and workload
-Reduce muscular fatigue
-Buffer lactic acid

Betaine - 2 grams

Betaine (trimethylglycine) is a component of beet root and an active metabolite of choline. Betaine is gaining more and more popularity in the fitness industry as a performance enhancing supplement shown to increase endurance and strength. Similar to creatine, betaine acts as an osmoregulator, increasing intracellular hydration and protecting against muscle damage from intense training.

Agmatine - 1 gram

Agmatine is a multi-function powerhouse. It is derived from the amino acid l-arginine and is sometimes called "super-arginine". Agmatine is stored in neurons and aids in central nervous system functions as a neuromodulator and neurotransmitter. It also plays a vital role in NO synthesis, hence its popularity as a pump inducing addition to many supplements. Some of agmatine's many benefits include:
-Increased nitric oxide production
-Aids in mental clarity and focus as a nootropic
-Helps promote insulin sensitivity driving nutrients into the muscles
-Reduces short term neuropathic pain

NueroHack Complex

N-Acetly-L-Tyrosine (NALT) - 750mg

NALT is a more soluble form of l-tyrosine, an amino acid that is involved in producing catecholamines like dopamine and adrenaline. More dopamine and adrenaline can equate to better focus and more energy during your workout, enhancing mind-muscle connection and eliminating distractions in the gym.

Alpha-GPC - 300mg

Alpha-GPC is an exceptional natural nootropic providing a boost in mental function, focus and cognition. Alpha-GPC works by supplying choline which is a precursor to acetylcholine. We've included this choline source to work synergistically in our NeuroHack complex providing laser focus, mental clarity, cognition and enhanced mind-muscle connection.

Dynamine 40% - 250mg

The NEWEST ground-breaking stimulant to hit the supplement industry! Dynamine is methylliberine, a purine alkaloid found in the kucha tea leaf. Its molecular structure is similar to theacrine (aka TeaCrine) and is believed to behave in similar ways in the body. Like theacrine, methylliberine may amplify feelings of energy, mood and focus by activating dopamine receptors and other key neurotransmitters, inhibiting adenosine receptors, all without elevating heart rate or blood pressure.

TeaCrine 40% - 125mg

The KING of long-lasting crash-free energy and the perfect addition to caffeine. TeaCrine is a patent-pending compound containing pure theacrine, which can be found in natural sources such as the Camellia assamica var. kucha tealeaf, coffee and certain exotic fruits. A nature-identical compound, TeaCrine delivers energy, mental clarity, and improved motivation and mood. It does not increase heart rate or blood pressure and is not a stimulant.

L-Theanine - 100mg

L-Theanine is a relaxing but non-sedating amino acid that works synergistically with stimulants like caffeine as it can 'take the edge off' high stimulant use. A combination of l-theanine with caffeine has also shown to be synergistic in promoting cognition and attention.

Huperzine-A - 50mcg

Huperzine-A is a compound extracted from the herbs of the Huperziceae family. It is known as an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, which means that it stops an enzyme from breaking down acetylcholine which results in increases in acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is known as the learning neurotransmitter, and is involved in muscle contraction as well. Increasing levels of acetylcholine is routinely used as a technique amongst weight-lifters and scholars.

Caffeine - 300mg

No introduction needed here. Caffeine is a powerful stimulant and classified as a nootropic because it sensitizes neurons and provides mental stimulation. Enhanced energy, strength, endurance, cognition and focus are all benefits resulting from caffeine intake.

Absorption Aid

BioPerine - 5mg

What good is the best formulated pre-workout on the market if you have trouble absorbing all those nutrients. Enter BioPerine. BioPerine is a patented extract obtained from black pepper fruits (Piper nigrum) standardized to a minimum 95% Piperine. It has been used as a bioavailability enhancer for over 20 years and in general, BioPerine was found to enhance absorption of nutrients by at least 30%.

As you can see, a fully transparent label with everything dosed as any gym junkie would expect and everything is there for a purpose. Plus there are multiple ingredients where the registered version is used, signifying the highest quality form available. While searching the internet on this product, the main complaint that I have seen about the ingredients is that there is no creatine included. Personally, I am ok with that as I can get my creatine in many other routes. I can understand this complaint but do not believe it takes anything away from how this product has been formulated. In a perfect world, I would like to see the Alpha-GPC dose increased a bit (mainly because I really like that ingredient) but in the real world this product looks amazing on paper.

Taste >> When deciding the claim this product, I looked on their website and seen this comes in three flavors (Tiger's Blood, Cotton Candy and Sour Gummy). All three of those sound amazing to me so I left it up to the rep to decide which flavor to send. I received the Tiger's Blood flavor, which seems to be their primary focus with this product in terms of advertising and marketing. Many of the photos and posts I see of this product have this flavor front and center. While the name Tiger's Blood really doesn't give you an idea of what flavor to expect; I knew from past experiences that this should be a tropical taste with some coconut. Honestly, the only flavor I taste with this product is coconut. I believe there is supposed to be some cherry or berry flavor as well but I do not get that. This is the same no matter how much water I chose to use. I experimented with eight ounces all the way up to 24 ounces of water per scoop. Even at 24 ounces of water, the coconut flavor was still strong and enjoyable. If you enjoy coconut flavored products, the Tiger's Blood flavor is definitely for you.

Mixability >> This product is no tiny scoop! Each serving is just over 16 grams of product and I mixed using a range of water amounts. No matter the amount of water used, this supplement mixed almost perfectly. There was very little foam and what foam was there dissipated quickly. After about ten seconds of shaking in a blender bottle (without the blender ball) I would say 95% of the product was dissolved. After shaking you could see a few granules start to settle at the bottom but extremely minimal. Well done by MDRN ATHLETE in this category for a product with a high percentage of active ingredients and few fillers/garbage.

Dosing >> Per the tub, take one scoop with 8-10 ounces of water 20-30 minutes before training. Start with 1/2 scoop or less to assess tolerance. They also warn that some individuals may experience the harmless tingling, which is nice of them.

Before I get into the effectiveness section, I am going to detail a little about the training style that I used during this product run. I typically lift weights between four and six days a week. The exact number of sessions will depend on what other commitments I have for that specific week. I follow somewhat of a bro split when it comes to lifting, separating out back, chest, legs, shoulders, arms and if I train on a sixth day, that is a freebie and I will hit whatever I feel like. If I only train four days in a week, I will combine back with biceps and shoulders with triceps, then have legs and chest. My workouts will start with a heavy compound movement for the muscle group then move into more hypertrophy training using free weights and machines. I also typically do LISS cardio seven days a week. Sometimes in the morning and sometimes in the evening after weight training.

Now that we got that information out of the way, one scoop of this pre was great for each and every workout that I did. No matter the length or difficulty, this product was there to push me through the entire workout. In the energy department, I experienced a great mix of energy from the beginning thanks to the caffeine and long-term energy from the Dynamine and TeaCrine. The energy profile would even take me beyond the workout for another few hours. This was perfect if I happened to be doing cardio after the workout because I did not need to take something else to get me motivated for the cardio session. The long-lasting energy was also great if I happened to be going to work after the gym. I would not crash and still have the energy to complete the tasks at work.

Outside of the energy, this pre also provided great pumps, muscle power, muscle endurance and focus during my workouts. The dose of Citrulline is higher than what I have seen and used in many other pre-workouts. That combined with the full dose of Beta-Alanine along with the Betaine and Agmatine made my muscles work and feel amazing, especially if I happen to be doing higher reps. The last aspect I will speak about is the focus that I had in the gym while using this. I knew what to expect in terms of focus from my previous use of TeaCrine in other products but adding in the Dynamine and Alpha-GPC was icing on the cake. I would show up, put my headphones in and everything in the gym around me just seemed to disappear. My focus would solely be on the exercise that I was doing and the goals I had for each set. I would sometimes not even realize what song was playing on my phone and it was easy to ignore any incoming alerts. It was also easy to ignore other people in the gym around me; which most of the time is ok unless someone is trying to get your attention to ask for help or a question. These feelings combined with the energy profile made it feel like I could stay in the gym and lift for hour after hour.

From what I can find on the web, you can purchase this supplement directly from the company's website or from the company on Amazon. The 20 serving tub is listed for $43.00 on both sites. You can also purchase a sample pack from the company's site which includes one serving of each flavor (three total) for $7.00.

At the listed retail price, the cost per serving is $2.15. Personally, my threshold for a top tier pre-workout is at the $2 per serving mark. Many other fully loaded products that this competes with are around that price point. As this is a relatively new company, they may need to do some experimenting on pricing to find their sweet spot in the market. Part way through my tub, the company posted a 20% off discount for first time customers, which is still currently listed as active as of 4/3/2018. With that discount, the cost per scoop moves down to $1.72 which is definitely worth it for the ingredients and doses you get. At the discounted rate, my value rating would be a 9. At the retail price, my value rating drops to a 7.

Side Effects

With all the good I had to say about this product in the effectiveness section; there were some odd side effects that I need to speak about. The first happened only if I drank the pre-workout quickly. No matter the amount of water I used, if I consumed the entire scoop in under five minutes, I would experience some tightness in my chest. I would relate it to that feeling when you have a chest cold and can't take a deep breath. When I experienced this, I could still take a deep breath without any trouble but the tightness feeling stayed with me for about an hour. This side effect did not occur if I took my time and sipped the pre-workout over about thirty minutes.

The other side effect worth mentioning is this product seemed to cause me to yawn throughout my entire workout. It was not because I was tired but the need to yawn was always present after consuming this. This did not affect my energy levels or productivity in the gym but was just more of a nuisance. During the times when I had tightness in my chest, I could say it was my body's natural reaction to try and get more air into my lungs. On the days where I did not have the tightness feeling, the yawning was still there and I have no idea why.

Another possible side effect that I will bring to your attention has to do with the energy carry over that I experienced and talked about. If you consume this product in the morning or early afternoon, this effect is great and will likely be useful for you. However, if you take this in the evening, the energy carry over may be a negative and affect your ability to wind down at night for bed.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I am very happy with the results I received from running this product. The effectiveness I received in the gym was top notch and right up there with many of the other premium pre-workout products that I have used in the past. I also loved the energy and focus carry over from the combo of the caffeine, Dynamine and TeaCrine. The draw backs on this product is the retail pricing and the side effects I experienced. With the discount currently available, the pricing aspect is removed. The first side effect was solved with some planning while the other remained an issue for the entire tub. My recommendations to the company: I would scale back the coconut flavor in Tiger's Blood to allow some of the others to come through and I would drop the artificial colors. There is no reason that this product needs to be such a vibrant color. Once again, thank you to MDRN ATHLETE and SR.com for allowing me the opportunity to run this product!

Thank you for reading my review and let me know if you have any questions.
  • Tiger's Blood: 7/10