Ranks #9 (better than 97%)
In: Pre-Workout > Stimulant

NRG Max is a Pre-Workout manufactured by MAXLER. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.
ARTICLES

bzyczek
TROOPer Level: 15
  March 12, 2017

39 year old gym rat ... Lately I have been going to the gym even more since I started doing pre-workouts ... I'm just almost never out of energy. I bought this pre-workout because it has almost everything that I would want with clinically recommended doses. What stood out from all other pre-workouts was the value ... you just can't beat it.

PowerMax Complex:

Citrulline Malate 8g - One of the best supplement for boosting NO production. The 8 grams is what is the ideal recommended dose.

Beta-Alanine 3.2g - This what is going to give you the tingles but in return it will help keep your fatigue away. This is also ideally dosed per recommendations.

Creatine Monohydrate 2.9g - The most studied supplement that will provide you with a boost of strength. It has many other attributes, so anyone wanting to gain muscle should take their time and read more about this supplement.

Creatine Hydrochloride 50mg - Supposedly easier on your digestive system than Creatine Monohydrate and a bit "stronger". What 50mg supposed to for you I'm really not sure.

Di-Creatine Malate 50mg - Another form of creatine bonded with malate acid.

Supposedly with these three forms of creatine you have three different ways for your body to absorb this powerful supplement. I just don't understand how the 50mg of the other 2 should be doing and helping. I would love it if someone could shed some light on this for me.

Energocore Complex:

Taurine 2g - A decent dose of a second most abundant amino acid in your system. It get's depleted rather quick while working out so getting a good spike before working out probably highly recommended. There is a good dose of 2 grams.

Caffeine Andydrous 350mg - 3 and a half cups of coffee to bring your energy level to it's heightened point so that you will never want to stop lifting. This dosage in oh the high side personally but it does make me feel gooooood.

White Tea Leaf Extract 100mg - per SR it's a rich source of polyphenols and bioflavonoids (catechins) like EGCG that can fight oxidative stress, improve insulin response, reduce fat mass, and reduced risk of cardiovascular disease. Why it's added here I'm not sure ... but i don't mind if it helps me fight stress that will come with heavy lifting. This dose is one of the most I have seen in the pre-workouts registered here.

Rhodiola Rosea 50mg - Another good supplement that should help you with the stress of working out and the pain that comes with it. The does it O.K. there could have been more of it.

Cordyceps 25mg - This is an interesting addition of a Chinese herb that supposed to help you with longevity ... Some people use cordyceps as a stimulant, a tonic, and an "adaptogen," which is used to increase energy, enhance stamina, and reduce fatigue. Super under dosed in this case where minimum should be 1 gram.

Black Pepper Extract 5mg - Helps you absorb that massive list of ingredients.

Turbofocus Complex:

N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine 500mg - This will make you feel happy and ready to produce the volume you need to make your muscles bigger. This is the minimum dosage.

Ginkgo Biloba Leaf 60mg - This will help your with your memory and over all brain health. I'm not sure how it will help you with the gym but if you continuously take this you should start remembering how many reps you did the day before ;). I don't think it will have an instant effect but over time it should help.

DMAE (deanol bitatrate) 40mg - DMAE should help you with your mood, memory and everything that has to do with brain functions.

MyoRecovery Complex:

L- Leucine 2g
L- Isoleucine 1g
L-Valine 1g

4 g total of essenital Amino-Acids that will aid your body in protein synthesis ... It will help you with recovery and make you feel better quicker.

The taste is HORRENDOUS! I'm not sure who did the QA for this product. But, they must have had a peculiar taste buds to approve this. I have put a scoop of this product in a tall glass with full of water. Now this tube has 30 servings ... So this torture lasted me for 30 days ...
It did not grow on me ... I dreaded every time I had to jug this down ... My personal recommendation is to stay away from blue raspberry. I will be buying the other flavor because this pre-workout just can't be beat.

After you finished with torturing yourself this is where the product shines. I felt strong, pumped and in a mood to do some hard work. I really like how the product does what it supposed to and keep me energized and focused. I could be in the gym for a very long time before I feel fatigued. I really think this product does well all around. Citrulline will give you the pump you need, that creatine will give you the strength and beta-alanine will give you the tolerance to push for that extra rep. I really felt good at the gym while I've been taking NRG.

This product is sold at Amazon 30 servings for 23.99$. That makes it 80 cents per serving. I don't think there is a pre-workout out there with such a massive ingredient list that sells it that cheap.

Side Effects

Occasionally a nasty burp.

Conclusion

This is my personal go to product for pre-workout. It's just a no-brainer for me. You get all those ingredients for just 80 cents a day and it works. Until I find something that will really be worth to pay more for ... I will stick with this pre-workout as my number one choice ...
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Ingredient Label
  • Focus
  • BCAA Included
  • Good Pump
MarsheS
TROOPer Level: 29
  November 29, 2016

Thanks to MAXLER for sending it out!

What's up SR, this is my first review of a product through the SR Troop Program. It's the first time I hear about Maxler. Thanks to Maxler and SupplementReviews for making this possible. I lift weights from Monday to Friday with intense workouts most of the days, with Friday being the exception sometimes lol. So I need a strong preworkout for my routines. This preworkout gave me a big surprise, let's see why...

The ingredient profile is great. For me, the ingredients and doses this preworkout has is from an Elite Preworkout. Preworkouts have categories (some are average, others above average, others are excellent and others are elite). Elite Preworkouts usually have a high amount of Citrulline Malate, Beta-Alanine, Caffeine, Creatine (and other ingredients) + a significant amount of BCAA's. Most preworkouts don't come with BCAA's. The ones that do are generally Elite Preworkouts and this one is the case.

Key ingredients:
*8g CITRULLINE MALATE for increasing performance, endurance, delaying fatigue, increasing nitric oxide levels and all the benefits that result from that. Very high amount.

*3.2g BETA-ALANINE for increasing strength, endurance, performance, delaying fatigue and other benefits. High amount.

*3g CREATINE MONOHYDRATE (2.9g Monohydrate, 50mg Hydrochloride and 50mg Dicreatine Malate). The amount is not high but Creatine is so cheap these days that I think most people have their Creatine supplements separately. Also, I'm trying to understand the 50mg of Creatine HCL. Obviously by itself it looks very underdosed but I'm assuming they wanted the Hydrochloric Acid to interact with the Creatine Monohydrate to see all the benefits of Creatine HCL, same thing with the amount of Dicreatine Malate used. Creatine increases strength, muscular size, energy and a lot of other benefits.

*350mg CAFFEINE for alertness, energy, etc. Acceptable amount.

*4g BCAA reduces fatigue, improves recovery during sets, endurance and a lot of other benefits. Excellent addition! Acceptable amount.

*And finally the "Turbofocus Complex" (500mg N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine, 60mg Ginkgo Biloba Leaf, 40 mg DMAE). Acceptable amount.

MIXABILITY: No problems mixing this. Just a little bit of foam but nothing bad, just let it sit for a couple of seconds if you want. The product came with some amount of moisture though so when I opened it, it had a few clumps (picture below). I could easily convert it to powder again though. And like I said, never gave me problems mixing it.

DOSING: 1 scoop with 8-12 oz. 30 minutes before working out, nothing difficult to do. High doses per scoop.

TASTE: I received the Blue Raspberry flavor. The first week I hated the flavor, awful flavor. BUT... after the first week, I started to like it a lot and now I love it! Too bad it's gone :( (Admin, take note of this). Why? Because a flavor can be bad for some initial days but then you start liking it. This happened with me. Now that it's gone, I miss this flavor. It's not the typical artificial flavor from typical Blue Raspberry flavors (which I like)... it's different. The aftertaste is what I liked the most from the flavor.

Let's start with the BAD part. From like the 3rd serving until the 8th serving approximately, everytime I took this preworkout, I had to run to the bathroom TWICE. So that means 5 days of having to run to the bathroom twice each day. Afortunately I lift at home lol. One of my first surprises is that after running to the bathroom twice, I was full of energy and ready to destroy the weights! When something like that happens with other preworkouts, I usually end up weaker, with less energy, etc, but this wasn't the case. But I'm happy this only happened for a week. I don't know if it was because of the moisture it came with or the high amount of Citrulline...

The other bad part was my shoulder injury (not related to the preworkout). So I think that with my full health, this preworkout would have been much better for me!

Now with the GOOD part. I could do more repetitions with most of my lifts. My flat bench press increased from 1-2 reps to 3-5 reps max and the weight felt lighter. My inclined bench press went from 3-5 reps to 6-8 reps. My Standing Military Press went from 3 reps to 6-7 reps. And so on. In general, the repetitions went up and the weights felt lighter. There was a weight I couldn't increase the amount of reps (246 pounds of flat bench press). For some reason, I couldn't pass from 5 reps. With this preworkout, I reached 7 reps so I'm happy.

Strength was excellent, MAYBE a bit more Creatine would have been better but like I said, most people already have separate Creatine supplements so if you feel you need more, just add a scoop of Creatine. I don't think NRG Max needs it but you may need it, it depends. Endurance was amazing, I could continue lifting for hours! I finished my workouts because of time, not because I was tired lol. I could continue working out for more than 3 hours. You can really feel the Citrulline Malate, Beta-Alanine and Creatine working together here. I also didn't need to take any aminoacids during my workout. The 4g of BCAA did a good job recovering faster during sets, reducing fatigue, etc.

Energy was never gone. Like I said, I could keep working out for a lot of hours. There were days I was yawning a lot before working out and after taking this pre-workout, all of that went away! The 30 servings never dissapointed me in this energy area. The Pump area was above average, I could feel the Citrulline Malate working for the Pump. Your results with Pump can be greater than mine though. I don't train for the Pump and my body fat is probably higher than yours because I don't follow any low fat diet. I just eat whatever I can and want lol (I need it to increase weight). But vascularity was visible, nothing extraordinary for me but it worked. It doesn't have many ingredients to boost Nitric Oxide levels but I can't tell you if it needs more. I liked what it gave me.

AAAANNNNDDDD..... THE BIG SURPRISE! I wasn't expecting this. If you read my reviews from other preworkouts, you will see that when it comes to FOCUS, I said that ""I didn't feel competent enough to judge the Focus of any Preworkout because Focus for me depends on many other things of our daily life not related to substances."" The NRG Max gave me an excellent focus! It's the first time I could feel a Preworkout improving my Focus. I was very concentrated during my routines. I was always thinking about the next set, next exercise, doing more exercises, etc. I'm really surprised with the focus the NRG Max gave me. It's the first time I feel the Focus so sorry for my "overreactions" lol.

Right now, Amazon has it for $26.95 (Free shipping if over $49) and Maxler's website for $23.95 + $7.29 shipping. That's a great value considering this is an elite preworkout. Other Elite Preworkouts are worth +$35 so this is an excellent price. I'll happily pay $26.95 for the results I get. I even think I received more than 30 servings lol. I began taking this from October 10 and finished it on November 25. 5 days a week, that's more than 30 servings! I measured the scoop when it was full once and yes it was correct (23g).

Side Effects

Few stomach issues, had to run to the bathroom a couple of days, which is why I didn't give this Preworkout a score of 9 overall. Shake this preworkout everytime before taking the powder, I think that was what worked for me to stop the stomach issues.

Conclusion

Most (if not all) claims made by the Preworkout were fulfilled. Every ingredient did its job. I'm very satisfied with what it did with my strength, endurance, performance, focus, recovery during sets, pump, vascularity, etc. It has a very good value considering this is an elite preworkout. The flavor is delicious, just give it some time and you will like it, especially the aftertaste. Try mixing the container of the Preworkout before opening and using it, everyday. I'll definitely buy this again and try other flavors too!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Ingredient Label
  • Nice Colors
  • Nice Design
  • Good Pump
  • Delicious Aftertaste
  • Good Special Taste
  • Few Stomach Issues
  • Some Moisture
  • Blue Raspberry: 8/10
htevans
TROOPer Level: 38
  November 27, 2016

8.5/10
NRG Max is stacked. There really is not much more to say but I'll try anyways. Every active ingredient is fully disclosed which is a huge plus. Furthermore, the most important ingredients efficaciously dosed. L-citrulline malate, CarnoSyn beta alanine, BCAAs (at a 2:1:1 ratio), taurine, and caffeine are all dosed well. Creatine totals 3g although I think including 100mg of the dicreatine malate and creatine hcl forms is absolutely pointless. Additionally, the Turbofocus and Energocore complexes are well-rounded, despite some ingredients like Rhodiola Rosea being largely underdosed. Other than the use of dyes, the weird inclusion of 2 severely underdosed creatine forms, and some other underdosing in the Turbofocus and Energocore complexes (Rhodiola Rosea, White Tea Leaf, Cordyceps, Ginko Biloba, DMAE) this product looks good from the profile alone.

I received the pink lemonade flavor and it was a bit too tart. With a little more water it was a little better but I'd still recommend trying a different flavor. Mixability was very good considering the nature and amount of product in each scoop (23g). There were only a few granules left behind after each use and never any serious clumping or unbearable foaming. I dosed this anywhere from 0.5-1 scoops depending on my caffeine needs.

8.75/10
In short, NRG Max is a heavy hitter in the pre-workout category. With 8g of L-Citrulline Malate, I got some great pumps and found I was "feeling myself" a lot as a result, which only helped me work through some grueling workouts. Beta Alanine does wonders for my endurance but I notice it the most in how I feel after cardio as opposed to the one or two more reps I get on a lift. Additionally, 350mg of caffeine never failed to wake me up and get me focused for my lifts. The inclusion of taurine and tyrosine helped smooth out the potential side effects of caffeine in addition to providing a host of other benefits. The BCAAs and creatine were also included at decent amounts. While a dedicated creatine or BCAA product should give you a few more grams of each of these ingredients, 3 and 4 grams respectively is not terrible. At these levels alone you get some of the usual benefits like increased strength and endurance but the main value is really in that with minor additional supplementation you can reach optimal dosages and see some great results. While I'm unable to pinpoint any one feeling or sensation to any of the underdosed ingredients I identified, it can't hurt to have them and at the very least they worked well in their blends. That being said, the L-Citrulline Malate, beta alanine, caffeine, taurine, tyrosine, BCAAs, and creatine are what really make NRG Max so effective. This is one of the more reliable and effective non-DMAA stim pre-workouts, I've tried. I never failed to get a pump or feel awake and focused for my lifts. Given the lack of side effects, I can only really find fault in the dosages (which I'm sure would have affected my experience more if I hadn't supplemented with BCAAs and creatine separately and so I've deducted accordingly).

I found this on Amazon for about $30 including shipping and handling for a 30 day supply. There are a lot of worthwhile ingredients in NRG Max that are properly dosed and you're definitely paying for that. However, there are a handful of underdosed ingredients that could likely be removed with little difference to NRG's overall effectiveness and some savings. No one likes paying for something if it isn't helping them and I doubt 100mg of different forms of creatine or white tea leaf extract really makes a noticeable difference. Still, NRG Max is effective and for $1 a workout this is definitely worth it. It is not an amazing deal, but it is a solid price for a staple product.

Side Effects

I experienced no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

8.5/10
NRG Max is a solid product for a staple, reliable pre-workout. It gets the job done, and then some, all for a reasonable price. Can you find a better pre-workout for cheaper if you come across a good sale or want to take DMAA? Sure. However, you will not be disappointed, nor will you be seriously financially burdened if you include NRG Max into your pre-workout rotation. I've actually suggested this product to some of my girlfriend's family who lifts and they have since tried NRG Max and were impressed. If you're on the fence about trying NRG Max, I'd suggest trying it. The average of the most important important categories is 8.3 (Ingredients, Value, Effectiveness, Taste/Mixability/Dosing) and I added a little bit to reflect the lack of side effects and increased importance of effectiveness over taste/mixability/dosing.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Ingredient Label
  • Focus
  • BCAA Included
    trey-carmine
    TROOPer Level: 60
      October 19, 2016

Thanks to MAXLER for sending it out!
    Maxler is a brand I've heard of and seen but never had the pleasure of trying, until recently. Maxler was generous enough to offer their pre workout formula NRG Max to the SR TROOPS to review. Thank you again to SR and Maxler for making this happen.

NRG Max comes transparently packed with 17 different ingrediants totaling 23g per serving. There's no fairy dusting and "protecting a formula" in this one ladies and gentleman. I'm not going to cover every ingredient available because well you know what caffeine does, instead I'll go over some key highlights i enjoyed and question.

-The power max complex is everything you want, pumps with 8g of citrulline mallete, strength output increase with beta alanine and creatine coming in at 3.2g and 2.9g respectively. Two thing I feel could be left out are the creatine hcl and dicreatine Malate, yes they are effective but it's also been proven creatine monohydrate alone at 5g a day is suffice. However props to Maxler for getting creative with their formula and keeping the cost down.

- The Energocore Complex comes packed with taurine, caffeine, white tea extract, Rhodiola Rosea, and cordyceps. Cordyceps has gotten some attention recently with the patented version peak02 getting great research published supporting its effect. Unfortunately Maxler doesn't have he patented version in NRG MAX.

-The Turbofocus Complex has three ingrediants but the two that stand out to me are N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine and DMAE which both are awesome for focus and you can really feel the effect.

-The Myorecovery complex is an added bonus that many pre workouts miss out on including 4g of BCAA at the usual 2:1:1 ratio. There's way to many benefits out there not include amino acids in your pre workout.

1 scoop 20 minutes pre workout is the standard for any pre workout I take and NRG MAX was no exception for me. I had the pink lemonade flavor and loved all 30 scoops of it. Very smooth and not overly sweet with just the right amount of tang with the lemon taste. Very smooth mixability as well.

In case you couldn't tell by all the positives and the great score I gave NRG MAX it delivered in every aspect it promised. Focus was awesome and great for being on the lower stim tolerant that I'm use to. Strength output and increase was there from the basic staples included with creatine and beta alanine. These should be taken every day and when included in your pre workout only make things easier.

The pumps were just at the right spot with the citrulline mallete and after my pre workout 1000m stationary row and light warm up sets my muscles were pumped and ready to perform. When doing my upsets of my 30-20-10-30 rep scheme to finish a body part off forget about it, could barely put on a shirt after. Nothing to complain about at all and one of those feeling i love after a workout.

Energy was just right and not over done and absolutely no crash or let down. Of course I took additional BCAA supplement during and after my workouts but I really do feel like the aminos included in the formula helped me in recovery as well. Overall I was very pleased and taken by suprise with how well I reacted to NRG MAX.

Just when you think things can't get better they do. For 30 true servings you can find NRG MAX on amazon for $29.95, not including shipping. This is a ridiculous good value for a pre workout that doesn't have a thing missing. If you compare it to some of the top pre workouts on here such as nutrabio and jym it can stand toe to toe and perhaps even past them with value this good.

Conclusion

It's not often I give a review for anything over a 9, especially a pre workout with so many options out there. But Maxler has something great with NRG MAX and people need to notice and give this a try. You can half scoop this preworkout and it blows the big corporate names such as C4 out the water. Maxler is definitely a company I'm going to take notice of more for now on.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great Ingredient Label
    • Focus
    • BCAA Included
      • Pink Lemonade : 10/10