6.9

(Better than 18% in Natural Testosterone Boosters)

Thrust is a Natural Testosterone Booster manufactured by Magnum Nutraceuticals. It helps optimize your natural testosterone levels, which helps encourage muscle growth and fat loss.

3.0
Thanks to Magnum Nutraceuticals for sending it out!
  August 17, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Deep Sleep
  • Donald Trump Could Afford
I had heard about and seen Magnum products around for a while, I just never got around to trying them. I knew that they were a Canadian company and that Mike O' Hearn is sponsored by them. When I put in to log this product I looked over the ingredient list first and did not think much about it. It did however, elevate my expectations by working as well as any testosterone product I have used in the past. When I say worked as well, I mean the effects were noticeable, not steroid like. However, there were some major drawbacks that I will go into detail on in my review.

Effectiveness: 8

In terms of effectiveness, it worked. I was more aggressive in the gym and I put on about 3 pounds (solid muscle not fat). The main thing I did notice was I was a lot hungrier all the time and I would get pissed off very easily. I was also able to sleep much better throughout the night and when I would wake up I did not have any hangover effects or any ill side effects. On occasion, it did upset my stomach, but the cause of this was that I had not eaten a meal prior to taking this. Strength was also increased slightly while taking this. One thing that stood out for me is all the strict testing that is listed on the back of the box. Since this company is in Canada, the laws and regulations are much stricter. Rigorous testing has to be done on all consumer products before being made available to the public. The FDA in comparison is kind of a joke. Magnum as well went a step further and lists a clinical study on the bottle. Funny thing about the study is that most of the percent's or weight gained is attainable, unlike MuscleTech ridiculous claims. Overall though this was more effective than I thought it was going to be, and so it exceeded my expectations.

Price: OUCH

$67 on BB.com and $52 on Amazon, Damn. You know there was a point when I was just starting to lift where I would have paid this price and not looked back. Well now with bills and other expenses I cannot justify paying this price for 20 days. I can go on Amazon right now and buy D-pol for $22 and I know what gains I will make and I will pay half the price for a full months supply. Supplements in general, are getting more expensive and it is starting to hurt the consumer because we are not as willing anymore to fork over the cash. I understand that with a premium product comes a premium price and you will probably profit because Mike O' Hearn is on the bottle (I think he uses other things), but at the end of the day its going to be tough to get many repeat customers.

Overall: 6

It did work well for me, but the price is way too much. Even making the bottle last for 30+ days would make it a better buy; at 20 days it's just not feasible. I like everything that Magnum did in testing and performing trials before releasing this; they just need to get the price fixed. Also lowering the amount of pills you have to take everyday may help the consumer out. In conclusion, Magnum Thrust does work, just not well enough to pay that price for that number of servings.

Other Prices:
Muscle and Strength   $64.99
Amazon   $64.99
Magnum Nutraceuticals   $79.99

Overall
Overall
3.0
2.0
Thanks to Magnum Nutraceuticals for sending it out!
  August 2, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Libido
  • Agitated Sleeping
  • Questionable Proprietary Blend

A shout out to Magnum Nutraceuticals for providing Thrust to the SR TROOPS program for us to try out. Thrust is a testosterone support complex supplement promoted to increase muscle density and strength, restful sleep, improve recovery, and promote a healthy hormonal balance of estrogen and DHT. It features some well known ingredients for test support but its main feature is an interesting looking compound called M-OXO, which I'll explain in the ingredient profile section.

Estro-Modulating Compound 1,470mg
M-OXO (7 Beta-Acetoxy-8, 13-Epoxy-1 Alpha,6 Beta, 9 Alpha-Trihydroxy-Labd-14-Ene-11-One), Tongkat Ali Root Extract 20:1 (Eurycoma Longifolia), Oatstraw Extract 10:1, Acetyl L-Carnitine HCL, Naringenin, Quercetin, Hesperidin Complex
Prolonged T-Augmenting Compound 1,410mg
Pyridoxine HCl Vitamin B-6, Organic Maca, Puncture Vine, (45% Saponins), Safed Musli (Chlorophytum Borivillianum) Extract
T-Optimizing Compound 700mg
Muira Puama (Ptychopetalum Olacoides) Extract 6:1, Stinging Nettle Leaf Extract 4:1, Dodder Seed Extract 5:1, Fenugreek
Anabolic Thrusting Agents 500mg
Beta Ecdysterone, 20-Hydroxyecdysone, 5-Methyl-7-Hydroxy-Isoflavone-Ethylcarbonate Ester, Ipriflavone

Awww prop blends...you gotta love em....

Humor aside, as you can see there are plenty of ingredients that many of us are already familiar with for test boosting benefits such as Nettle leaf, Maca, and Tongkat ali. It even has Beta Ecdysterone which has been demonstrated in some studies to promote protein synthesis enhancement.

As I stated in the intro, the feature ingredient is the compound M-OXO (7 Beta-Acetoxy-8, 13-Epoxy-1 Alpha,6 Beta, 9 Alpha-Trihydroxy-Labd-14-Ene-11-One). Chemistry major much? From what I've read from Magnum Nutraceuticals own source, M-OXO is believed to work by increasing levels of the signaling molecule cAMP. cAMP is involved in several biological processes in the human body such as lipid metabolism, glycogen regulation, hormone molecule production, and many others. By increasing levels of cAMP, this amplifies the signaling mechanisms involved in the overall process of testosterone production. The intended end result would be a higher degree of testosterone production.

In summary, an attractive looking profile, but looks aren't always everything.

I will only talk about dosing here since taste and mixability are non-applicable to a pill form supplement. First off, the serving size is 8 pills a day. To say the least, that is lot of freaking pills, even if they are easy to swallow. The directions advise 4 caps in the morning and 4 caps at night, If you're training that day, it is suggested to take the first dosage 15 minutes prior to your workout. Taking it on an empty stomach or with food is primarily the choice of the user.

I chose to take it with small meals when possible as I didn't want to risk the possibility of the product upsetting my stomach. Although, there were some times where I did take it on an empty stomach and thankfully no issues. On training days, I followed the directions exactly and took 4 caps 15 minutes or so before my workout and the last 4 caps at night. On non-training days I took the first dosage in the morning with breakfast.

Over the course of the twenty days I was on thrust, I can say that this product was a near total miss for me. I say near because I did experience a noticeable libido increase and some better recovery at a few times during the duration of my run. Nonetheless, the touted claims were non-existent. I did not experience any additional increased muscle strength, mass, or density from what I normally gain from my general training and diet regimen. Furthermore in terms of sleep, this product actually disrupted my sleep at times. There were times where I just couldn't fall asleep or stay asleep. Although this did not happen every time, I would expect this to not happen at all from a product that claims to improve sleep as one of it's benefits. I am going to be generous and give thrust the benefit of the doubt since everyone reacts differently and say that maybe if I ran a second container for an extended duration I would have seen more benefits. However, the high price tag and lack of results led me to decide that it was not worth the investment.

66 dollars for a 20 day supply? No, just no. For a product that was almost totally ineffective for me, I would not purchase this over much cheaper products that I actually have seen results from. Perhaps if it were a full 8 week cycle, I'd say give it a try, but for only half the amount, I would not invest in it.

Side Effects

A acne flare or two, but nothing serious

Conclusion

In conclusion, thrust was an unfortunate let down for me. I did not experience a majority of the benefits it had claimed to provide and the high price tag would warrant me not to recommend it. Again, I understand everyone responds differently, but I'd say if you do want to try this, do some serious shopping around. Otherwise, I would look at other test boosters such as animal test or noxitest.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

Other Prices:
Muscle and Strength   $64.99
Amazon   $64.99
Magnum Nutraceuticals   $79.99

August 5, 2014

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Deep Sleep
  • Increased Libido
  • Questionable Proprietary Blend
I went through a couple bottles of this stuff a while ago and thought I'd share my thoughts on it. While I was taking it I was also taking fish oil, whey protein, multivitamin, and greens formula. On workout days I was taking Gaspari Superdrive or ProSupps Mr. Hyde as a preworkout.

This was the first time I had tried a "test booster" product. I got an excellent deal on a couple bottles so thought why not. I am generally very skeptical of these products as a whole, and Magnum Thrust was no different. None of the ingredients really stood out to me as overly effective, but I have read some good reviews so thought why not? Anyway, the review.

Ingredients (per 4 capsule dose):
1) Anabolic thrusting matrix (500mg):

Ecdysterones: There isn't really much in the way of high quality research on these compounds and how they effect athletic performance/anabolism/testosterone, but what little human research there is gives mixed results about whether or not there is an anabolic effect from taking these compounds (1,2,3). It seems like there is some potential here in these compounds, but it's quite preliminary, so further research should be done. Another thing to note is that the study performed on humans showed no difference between ecdy and placebo, whereas the studies done on rats showed an increase in body mass. It is entirely possible that rats have receptors for these compounds or react differently to them than humans.

Magnum (and several other websites selling ecdysterone supplements) seem to typically cite a 1986 study by a dude names Smetenin. Pubmed and google scholar haven't heard of him and I can't find even an abstract of the study. If you want to seek it out you may have better luck than me. Apparently it is called "The influence of preparations of plant origin on physical work capacity".

5-methyl-7-hydroxy-isoflavone-ethyl carbonate ester: is next on the list. Say that one 5 times fast. Tried to find some legitimate studies on the stuff but no luck. Apparently it has anabolic properties and works through a non hormonal non hepatotoxic mechanism, but who really knows?

Ipriflavone: is the last component of the anabolic thrusting matrix prop. blend. This is a pretty popular ingredient (often taken in combination with the previous 5-methyl-blahblahblah). I could only find anecdotal evidence for this ingredient. It had mixed results with the people getting good results taking close to 3g of it per day (way more than you will find in Thrust).

2) Anti-Aromatase Estro-Eradicating Compound (lol) (1470mg)
M-OXO: Same as 6-OXO? If it is 6-oxo, it's a pretty well known anti estrogen compound. Heard mixed anecdotal evidence about its effectiveness, but it is fairly proven. Dosage wise, who knows?

Tongakt Ali: The study that Magnum cites on their website (4) shows some pretty promising results from this ingredient. It is pretty well known to increase testosterone to some extent, but the study cited by Magnum has some pretty impressive results. The only issue with it seems to be a small sample size; it would be nice to see some more studies replicating these results. The cited study only used 100mg per day of this ingredient so it's possible that the boys at Magnum got this one right, but again it is a mystery.

Hesperidin: There are a couple more ingredients in this category but for brevity's sake I'm going to skip a few. I'm skipping oatstraw 10:1 extract, quercetin, and naringin if you're curious to look them up.
Hesperidin is cool, though, as it has potential use as a sedative. One of the effects I noticed when I took thrust was an incredible sleep, so this may be the compound responsible for it. Definitely worth reading up on!

3) Testosterone Spiking Compound (700mg) AKA boner blend
Muira Puama: As far as I can tell this doesn't actually boost your testosterone but it will give you boners. So that's cool.

Stinging Nettle extract: Probably not going to boost your testosterone, but maybe increase levels of glutathione (antioxidant). Won't kill ya but maybe not necessary in this product.

Dodder seed extract: This stuff acted as a test booster in rats (probably not a huge increase) and is used as an aphrodesiac.

Fenugreek: Common ingredient in test boosters, but there is limited evidence to support its use, and more evidence pointing towards it not being useful as a testosterone booster. Kinda like tribulus, it's probably not gonna do much for you.

4) Prolonged Testosterone Enhancing Compound (1410mg)

Vitamin B-6, Maca, puncture vine, and safed musli extract round out the list for this product. Maca will boost your libido but that's about it. Vitamin b-6 probably isn't going to affect your testosterone levels but it may help you sleep if you're deficient, as it plays a role in tryptophan metabolism (making melatonin). May also play a role in GH release but it's a bit of a stretch to say this product is going to boost your GH due to its B6 content.

If you're still with me... Here is my personal experience taking 2 bottles of Magnum Thrust over 40 days:

Dosing (10/10):
Easy to swallow, 4 caps twice a day. Easy to remember to take it since you just take it when you wake up and when you go to bed. I didn't bother taking it immediately prior to a workout, but I trained in the mornings anyway so I essentially followed the label's directions.

Effects (7/10):
This is a tricky product to rate. I did make some excellent gains while I was taking this product but it is difficult to say if they could be attributed to the Thrust. When I started taking it I also got my diet a bit more dialled in and began training with increased intensity (so much for the scientific method). I don't think this was because of the product but I felt more motivated while I was taking it (placebo? did it work?).

The Thrust definitely did have two effects for me though. The first was sleep. My dreams were more vivid and I felt very rested after sleeping. My guess is that this was due to the B6 and hesperidin in the product. The second effect was increased libido. This could be attributed to the Maca and Muria Puama. Wasn't a huge difference but where I may have taken a few minutes to get "ready to go" in the past, I was ready pretty fast xD

As far as testosterone boosting goes, it's really impossible to say. I'd like to do another run of Thrust with a blood test before, during and after to see if it has any significant effect on the hormone, but that may have to wait until I have some spare cash. The improved sleep and libido indicated that there may have been an increase in test, but that may be part of the supplement industry ploy: induce surrogate markers for increased testosterone, and claim increased testosterone!

I had initially rated this product a 5/10 for effectiveness, but upon writing this review I realized that I did like using it, and think it might be worth a try if you're looking for something to give you some improved sleep and maybe some boners. I won't go so far as to say it increased my muscle mass as I didn't make any out of the ordinary gains (I did make some good gains tho), but I'd like to try it again to follow up.

Value (3/10): This stuff is expensive. I wouldn't have tried it if I wasn't employed by a supplement retailer, but the cheap (still a bit expensive) price kind of made it worth it. I think you could get similar effects from taking some melatonin, GABA, and ZMA before bed, and maybe some maca every day for the libido if that's important to you. If I run it again and find that it actually DOES increase testosterone I'll let you guys know and adjust the value rating accordingly. But, from what I can tell from the ingredients, I don't think this product actually does what it claims although it does do a couple of things quite well.

References: Yeah, yeah, not APA format but here are some links to a few abstracts for you. I've read some of the full papers but some are not available through my university library.
1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129166/
2. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/mnfr.201300806/abstract
3. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1030669
4. doi: 10.1136/bjsm37.5.464

January 17, 2013

• Classic Signs Of Increased Testosterone
  • Body Recomposition
  • Lots Of Pills
I am writing this review to give some people another opinion of this product. I have used a couple of other testosterone boosters before, including Infinite Lab's Dagger (also reviewed here) and Cell Shock's Anitest. I will be reviewing more test boosters here as time goes on.

I took two bottles of this as directed (4 before workout/morning, 4 right before bed). The total number of days on this was 40.

I exercised using a Stronglifts 5 X 5, squat-based program. The only other supplements that I used were my old standby multi (Orange Triad), Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Creatine and whey protein. Same as I have been using for many months.

My diet is Intermittent Fasting, with carb cycling.

During my cycle of this product I experienced deep sleep, body recomposition and classic signs of increased testosterone (faster facial hair growth, acne, strength, aggression, libido increase). I also hit a PR in Deadlifts that I had not hit since I lost about 50 pounds! Maybe this is just because I have now been lifting for about 1 year and 2 months, but I really did feel stronger!

There were no negative side effects from this product for me. The only thing I could see that needs improvement is the dosing. It is a lot of pills per day.

When I started, I had my calories set at a "slow bulk" per my TDEE, and figured I wouldn't lose much weight. I actually lost 3 pounds, but much more in inches. When I started the BF% analyzer at my gym registered 25.3%. When I was done, it registered at 23.8%. This is on a 3400/2200 calorie split!

As far as the ecdysterone goes, what the other reviewer said is true. However, there is evidence of protein synthesis increasing. Here is a good site with all of the research: http://examine.com/supplements/Ecdysteroids/

I will definitely use this product again, but it is very expensive! This is the reason for the lower "value" score.

Overall
Overall
0.0
  April 16, 2012

• Agitated Sleeping
    • Disturbing Thoughts While Trying To Sleep
    • No Increases As Claimed Period!
    Ok so this is my first review on here, and this is what i have to say.

I heard some great claims on here regarding this product, however I discarded some of the reviews that were scientificlly unrealistic.

So I had a lay off from the gym when my son was born, and when I got back involved I worked out until I was comfortable with my progress and was starting to plateau. Over that time I checked into some products that were of interest and bit on the hype before talking to friend that is a Doctor.

Like alot of us, we probably dont want to hear the negatives. I wanted to believe this was going to be a great product. So before you spend your hard earned money, read this first and dont buy into the hype and marketing that is suggested.

Im not going to bore you with my workout regime and supplementation as I am well aware on what is required and in good company regarding all the above.

So here is my review. LOL really! Anyway I took 2 bottles (320) Capsules 4 prior to workout on empty stomach as recomended and 15 min before bed as recomended. They suggest to cycle for 2 months and I went for 40 days. I wasn't willing to blow another $90 being that there was no gains at this point.

Did not notice anything regarding the claims that are hyped up and suggested by Magnum.

No increased stamina.
    No increased Libido.
    No increased vascular appearence other then you would normally see in your workout.
    No increase in strength, other then normal.
    the deep sleep that they suggest I have mixed reviews on. At times I felt very disturbed and agitated and could not sleep with very weird thoughts or dreams, and others seemed deep but I cant say it was worth it considering the lucid side effects I described. So all and all, save your money for other supps, and read what my friend who is a Doctor researched!!

So one of my good friends who is a Doctor and involved in continuing research for the science department at a local university had a few things to inform me about regarding the main ingredient "Ecdysterone".

Here is what he had to say.

"Ecydsterone is found in arthropods which controls ecdysis
    (moulting). Found also in various plants as a defensive mechanism to disrupt
    the development and reproduction of insect pests. MAMMALS lack Ecdysterone
    receptors.

In mammals such as humans, we do not moult therefore do not have receptors
    for this hormone.

The scientific justification for such commercial developments
    relies, however, on just a few references (ca. 10), often with the same ones
    being cited to support quite different effects".

Metabolic conversions:
    Another question of concern is wheather ecdysterones undergo metabolic
    conversions in mammals. The presently available data are not fully
    consistent.

Ecdysterone metabolism in mammals, including humans.
    Although the question of mammalian metabolism is certainly of
    importance for the practicability of the in vivo use of
    ecdysterone-inducible gene expression systems (with the aim of using them
    for gene therapy), it is not well documented at the present time.

Conclusion: With little research on long term effects, and being that we lack the receptors to metabolise it why would we ingest it? Answer, Marketing...

If it's disruptive to pests as a plant defensive mechanism, would we want to ingest it long term or even short term for that matter.

I hope this helps anyone that is considering taking this product, and be concerned about some of the "to good to be true claims"

Cheers!