Glutamine Reviews

By: LiveLong Nutrition

Glutamine is a Glutamine Supplement manufactured by LiveLong Nutrition. It contains glutamine which is the most abundant amino acid found in muscle tissue; It helps support lean muscle gain.

Overall
Thanks to LiveLong Nutrition for sending it out!
  March 11, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Recovery
  • Better Immune Health
    Special shout out and thanks go to Live Long Nutrition for sending out a handful of products to the ER program.

INGREDIENT PROFILE: A
    L-Glutamine, dosed at 5g per one scoop. Intrawebz says that’s about right. No other ingredients present at all, including dyes and flavoring. IT is truly, as far as I can tell, just glutamine.

TASTE: N/A

MIXABILITY: A
    Very good mixabiity, no clumping or settling, no matter what I threw it in with.

EFFECTIVENESS: B
    This was actually my first run with glutamine by itself. I have taken it as part of a blend with other products before, but I have never supplemented just glutamine. Until now. I typically used one scoop pre-workout, then a second scoop with my post-workout shake. On off days, I dosed the servings one AM and one PM.
    Product claims to aid in recovery, lean muscle mass, and helps support the immune system. For the most part, it met the claims. Recovery was better than normal, but the other two are a little harder to evaluate without constant testing. I’m normally a healthy person (asthma aside), but I did develop a bit of a cold in the beginning of my run. However, it didn’t really develop into anything more than just an annoying cough and sneeze, and I was over it fairly quickly. I also felt like I looked a tad bit leaner at times, but I am optimistic.
    Still, it’s hard to sit here and say that it didn’t work.

VALUE: A
    One 400g tub will net you 80 one scoop servings. At anywhere between $17-$19 per tub, that’s not a bad price at all. If you’re supplement glutamine year round, it’s difficult to say there are better values out there. If you’re thinking about staring, then this would be a good place to start.

OVERALL: A
    Live Long’s Glutamine is about as good as it gets. The value is more than agreeable, and I do believe it to be quite effective at what it claims to do.
    Products like these aren’t going to be world beaters in terms of results, but they will help (and sometimes better than we think) no matter what the goal is. However, they are almost always affordable and extremely stackable.

Overall
    Thanks to LiveLong Nutrition for sending it out!
      February 20, 2015

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Better Recovery
    • Better Immune Health

Thanks to Live Long Nutrition for providing this to the ER program for review. As a regular consumer of glutamine I was happy to give this a try.

Glutamine. That's it. No other ingredients or fillers. Each serving is 5g and you get 80 servings per container.

Product was unflavored. Mixing was fine with little to no residual clumping or grit.

Due to glutamine's notoriously poor ability to survive the gut, I take 3 times the normal 5g serving - so 15g per day. I'm not too OCD about how I do this - most often I'll just take half in my post workout shake and half later in the day. I've never seen much difference between various dosing strategies.

Glutamine is one of those supplements that there's plenty of compelling material saying that it helps and an equal amount of material saying that it doesn't. For my part, I reply purely on my own anecdotal experience: when I take glutamine I feel less sore and seem to actual avoid far more of the nickel and dime tweaks that any lifter can suffer from regular training. In addition, I am better able to avoid colds and other immune system maladies that I'm prone to due to my other medical issues. So for me, this is more of a "preventative" supplement and i can say that my own experience is that I'm healthier with it than without it. I found that this product was just as good as any of my previous glutamine choices, including Trans-Alanyl-Glutamine. (Although I do believe that TAG does have less degradation - so you use less but given the difference in cost it all works out pretty much the same)

Like I said, the value of this is very high when compared to other glutamine products including the more expensive TAG version. For example, 25 servings of this at $17.00 vs 40 servings of TAG at $36.00). This is also in line with bulk glutamine purchases from competitors such as Muscle Feast or Bulk Supplements. So very high value in my opinion if you use glutamine in the first place. And for those who are considering glutamine, then I recommend giving this a try - it's not as high a value as say, creatine, but I think it's a better value proposition than most individual aminos - it would be pretty close between buying this or buying leucine.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is a very solid product. It's not going to turn your world upside down and there's no ergogenic effect to "feel". But for me, it does provide a small to medium increase in recovery and overall health. It's very easy to find and most major sites such as bb.com carry this brand so by all means, give it a try if you're so inclined. I would go with a product like this and increase the dose before starting off with one of the more expensive analogs such as TAG.