Super Omega - 3 Reviews

By: Life Extension

Super Omega - 3 is an Essential Fatty Acid manufactured by Life Extension. It contains fats that must be obtained through diet. They serve a wide array of critical roles including cardiovascular, mental and joint health.

Overall
Overall
  October 25, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Value
  • Lowers Blood Pressure
  • Aids In Memory

38 years old and I life 4-5 times a week. I find Fish Oil to be a supplement that should be in everyone's stack regardless of your goals. It is one of those products that aids in just overall general health. I always keep this in my stack, and have been on a mission in the last year to try various companies to see which is best. I have suffered quite a few TBI's in my 18.5 years of service in the Army, so supplements such as this that can aid in cognitive brain function I take seriously. Lets see how Life Extension held up.

There are three main fully disclosed blends here, the Pure+ Wild Fish Oil Concentrate, Polyphen-Oil Olive Extract (Fruit and Leaf). and Sesame Seed Lignan Extract. Each serving size is 2 pills twice a day, but this breakdown is from one serving of 2 pills. Lets break each one down and find its uses:

Pure+ Wild Fish Oil Concentrate (2,000mg): This 2,000mg Yields 700mg EPA, 500mg DHA, and 50mg of Typical DPA. EPA helps lessen inflammation in the body, while DHA is essential for brain health and function. DPA is similar to EPA in the fact that it is commonly used to support healthy inflammation management, blood vessel function, and support of healthy clotting. Typically, your goal is to get 1,000mg of EPA/DHA daily, which is no problem here if you take two servings.

Polyphen-Oil Olive Extract (300mg): You can see in the picture below, that this is standerdized for Hydroxytyrosol, Tyrosol, Verbascoside, and Oleurpeinpolyphenols. This is said to be the equivalent of 8-12 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. The value here is Oleuropein favorably alters gene expression, delays senescence in specialized skin cells, and helps maintain normal platelet activation. So some added benefit here.

Sesame Seed Lignan Extract (10mg): This is here to preserve the fish oil's purity and potency. These enhance the stability of DHA levels in your body and the overall benefits of EPA/DHA.

Some pretty interesting ingredients here that you typically do not find. The bonus here is they have been third party tested on Labdoor.com. This ranks #34 in overall quality on the site. They actually got penalized because the actual content of EPA/DHA is 1490mg (1200mg is labeled) netting you 830mg EPA and 550mg DHA per serving. So you are getting more than advertised here which is always a great thing. Better to have more than less! You can find the full report here https://labdoor.com/review/life-extension-super-omega-3/report

Taste/Mixability: Nothing to report here, they are pills

Dosing: I took 2 pills during breakfast and 2 pills during lunch daily. The directions recommend you take 2 pills, twice a day with meals, simple enough.

I gauge my Fish Oil based off how it helped my joint pain, blood pressure, and memory. A lot of the benefits you just are not going to see but these three factors I can at least have a general idea. A few months ago, I took some cheap Fish Oil and I could truly tell the difference there, my short term memory was terrible and my blood pressure, which is high to begin, with actually went up along with my resting heart rate. So, yes I do know the difference between quality Fish Oil and Cheap junk!

Joint Pain: This was hard to judge as I take Curcumin daily, and that has proven to be my magic pill to take away most of my joint pain. So I am unsure if this alone helped unfortunately. Even being off it for a few days I really have not seen a difference.

Blood Pressure: I get a blood pressure test at least once a month and always get told its high. I suffer from high blood pressure and am on my way to be back on blood pressure meds. My recent reading was still high, but not as high as it is without fish oil. So I can say with certainty this did aid in my high blood pressure slightly. I wish this would be the perfect fix for it, but its not. If you have just slightly high blood pressure though, this product will help you out.

Memory: This is the easiest thing for me to tell. When I am on cheap or no fish oil my short term memory is garbage, and I forget simple words and typically replace them with a wrong word. For example, if I wanted to say "I put the plate in the dishwasher" sometimes I forget dishwasher and say "I Put the plate in the washing machine." This is what 6 TBI's will do for you. Its not as bad as it sounds though, and I am fairly certain my wife gets a kick out of it. None the less my short term memory was actually pretty darn good while running this. I really had no issues of forgetting words at all, so yeah this was some good cognitive support. At Least from what I can remember :)

Overall, this product was effective in the important areas for me. Fish Oil is touted as the miracle pill with a ton of uses, most of it being on what you cannot see in your body. I could tell while taking this I was taking some quality stuff.

I picked this up from Amazon for $18.72 for a 30 days supply (60 capsules). This comes out to 62 cents a day which I think is a pretty great value for quality Fish Oil. So yeah you are getting a great deal here and it is also sold on the Life Extension website for 24 dollars, but may as well use Amazon especially if you are a Prime member. For this price, this can be a constant staple in your daily wellness stack.

Side Effects

No Fish Burps, nothing. I always ate this with food, never without, so I do not know what would happen. But I had no issues, which is nice, since most fish oils always seem to linger and give you a fish burp mid morning anyways. Good stuff here!

Conclusion

So yes, I highly recommend this product. This was recommended to me from the esteemed members here on SR, so thank you very much! If you are in the market for some new Fish Oil, and want to get some great value and quality, then look no further. This is the second Life Extension product I have tried (other being Curcumin) and I have had great results on both. Seems like an excellent company to me, and I have their Multi Vitamin in my cabinet as well to try in the near future. Thanks Life Extension for a quality product and a great price! Also I added in a label of the bottle since it is a little different than whats displayed up top, just to show you the updated picture.

• Momo1
      October 26, 2017

Nice review! These have been my go 2 fish oils for about 4 1/2 years now!