Super Bio-Curcumin Reviews

By: Life Extension

Super Bio-Curcumin is an Anti-Oxidant manufactured by Life Extension. It helps prevent the harmful 'free-radicals' that can cause cell damage in the body.

September 12, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Anti-Cancer Properties
  • Relieved Joint Pain

37 years old, lift 4-5 times a week. I have dealt with pain in my left ankle and left shoulders from previous injuries over the years and at times lower back pain. This is just going to be something I have to deal with the rest of my life, and I refuse to allow it to stop me from lifting, so I ensure a great joint supplement is added in my stack. I saw Smashley's review on this a while back, was intrigued, and had to give it a go. It was a slow start, so if you do take this remember its a marathon not a sprint, but my joints have never felt better. Lets see why.

Simple profile just one ingerdient. 400mg of BCM-95 Bio-Curcumin turmeric 25:1 extract (root) [std. to 95% Total Curcuminoids Complex with Essential Oils of Turmeric Rhizone by HPLC (380mg)]. So, if you are like me and read that and it made no sense, allow me to explain. Curcumin is the active ingredient of Turmeric, and is also found in limited amounts of ginger. It is an anti-inflammatory molecule with anti-cancer properties, and similar to fish oil, it seems to be a metabolic syndrom band-aid. It has poor bioavailabbility and black pepper greatly enhances absorption. So here we see in the ingredient profile that 400mg of Turmeric exist per pill, with 380mg of Curcumin being extracted or 95% of the dose. Basically, this is a great thing and you want to get the most Curcumin you can out of Turmeric.

The definition above is directly form examine.com, they have a great page on Curcumin. Here is where I normally would type out the uses of an ingredient, but Curcumin has so many it is crazy!! To steal from Smashleys title below, yes this is the Superman of pills! I thought Fish Oil was a miracle pill, nope, Curcumin may be taking that crown!

80-500mg is the range to take BCM-95 orally, so here we sit at a good dose. The thing to watch out for is how Curcumin is absorbed, since inherently its absorbed poorly. You want to pair Curcumin with black pepper (Piperine), Curcumin phytosomes complexed with phosphatidylcholine (Meriva or BCM-95), Curcumin nanoparticles (THERACURMIN), or Water-soluble curcumin (polyvinyl pyrrolidone). If none of those enhancements are not used then too little curcumin will be absorbed and even doses up to 4g may be wholly inactive. This product contains BCM-95 so we are good to go. I bring this up, because there are plenty of joint products out there with Curcumin or Turmeric in them, and most are ineffective. It likely contains the ingredients with no absorption enhancements, therefore its there for show not for actual help. Great stuff when used correctly.

Taste/Mixability: Little orange pills, no taste to them, swallowed down with water just fine.

Dosing: The directions call to take 1 capsule daily with food. I took this with breakfast normally once per day. However, since I have been on Armistane the last couple weeks, its dries out your joints and brings the pain! I upped this to 2 doses per day, with great success. More about that below.

As I stated above a supplement like this takes a while to come into effect and for you to actually notice. This took me roughly 3 weeks before I noticed it working. I had lost faith, was bummed out I was taking yet again another failed joint supplement. Then suddenly, 3 weeks into it, I was surprised and happy to feel less and less pain in my trouble areas (left ankle, left shoulder, lower back), and even in my wrists which had been hurting a bit lately. My last joint supplemenet was Animal Flex and did not work at all for me, so considering a packet of 8 pills did nothing, I was happy 1 small pill was working. The last two weeks I started up Armistane by VMI, and that kicked in pretty quick and of course started to dry out my joints, which even at 1 dose of Super Bio Curcumin my joints were feeling it. I bumped this up to 1 pill at breakfast and 1 pill at lunch, and it was very fast, and the first day I did that the pain was pretty much gone. Amazing stuff!! I will only be taking two doses while on Armistane, once I cycle off I will go back to 1 dose as recmomended, it works fine so no need to keep double dosing.

All in all I was skeptical about this product at first, but could not be happier about the results. I took this purely for the joint support, but knowing the whole laundry list of help this little pill gives you is great! Not much else to say here except if you have some joint pain give this a shot, and give it at least a month, but I bet you see some improvements.

I picked up a bottle of 60 pills for $20.69 from Amazon. You can subscribe and get it down to $19.67 on Amazon if you like as well. The price I paid comes out to 34 cents a dose, so yeah its a GREAT value for how effective this was for me. It really offers me up a good piece of mind and allows me the ability to keep on lifting, which is the end game goal anyways. Smashley does a good job at comparing the value of other BCM-95 supplements so I will not beat a dead horse here, and I am really not familiar with the other products or effectiveness to comment. Either way, in my eyes this is a solid product with a solid value.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Life Extension's Super Bio-Curcumin is the new Miracle pill in my eyes, taking that crown away from Fish Oil. Use this in conjunction with Fish Oil, and you will not be happier. Fairly cheap supplement to keep on hand that will truly aid your body in some nice results both physically and mentally, you need to try this out. I highly recommend this product for aid in joint support, and it offers so much more than just that that this should be in everyone's stack. I just started my second bottle, and plan to keep this in my stack for the foreseeable future. My joints have never been happier!!

June 5, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Relieved Joint Pain
    • Anti-Cancer Properties
    • Improved Recovery

I'm a competing powerlifter just coming back from a back injury (I can finally squat again!), and I am doing a DUP style training program where I squat/bench twice a week and deadlift once a week. My basic stack: pre-workout, protein powder, creatine, fish oil, and a multi.

This is a curcumin product. The one ingredient is BCM-95 which is a trademarked curcumin extract, designed to be highly absorbable. It combines curcumin with phosphatidylcholine.

Naturally, curcumin has poor bioavailability, so it needs to be paired with piperine (or manipulated in some other way), so it can be absorbed into the bloodstream. Else, it just sits in your gut (would be helpful for digestive health in that case).

There are two studies that have found BCM-95 to be absorbed into the bloodstream nearly times better than curcumin on it's own (6.93 times) and over 6 times better than curcumin + piperine (6.3 times). It would be nice to see a larger sample size, but I think it's fair to say that BCM-95 is one of the best curcumin options on the market right now.

One pill (which is a full dose) has 400mg BCM-95. According to Examine, an effective dose would be between 80-500mg when the curcumin has been manipulated, so we have a pretty liberal dose here.

If you're looking for intestinal improvements, you would want 2-4g of regular curcumin (vs. a manipulated version).

There's no taste here, as it's an encapsulated product. Thus, there's no mixability either. A dose is just one pill. They're of medium size, fairly easy to swallow

There are dozens of different benefits that you could get from curcumin supplementation. To name a few, curcumin has anti-cancer properties, can reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety, and can help lower triglycerides and improve blood flow. Basically, this stuff rocks.

I took this product mostly for its anti-inflammatory effects, although I was happy to take any benefit it could give me. Sometimes, I get joint pain from training, usually in my shoulders, but sometimes my elbows or knees as well. I took one capsule every day at breakfast (which is after I train), and I found that my joint pain significantly improved with this product. Instead of having nagging pains that would last through out the day and sometimes go on until the next day, I found that my joint pain was pretty much gone within an hour after I took the curcumin.

I also found that the product helped with my back pain, and I think it helped with my recovery. I strained my back in April and had to drop out of the meet that I had planned on doing this month. I should mention that I am not a fan of R.I.C.E. the oft prescribed treatment plan for strains. Icing an injury does help reduce the swelling, but it also detracts from blood flow to the injured area, which can slow down recovery. You feel better, but you are not getting better, at least not as quickly as you could be. I also prefer active recovery to complete rest if it's all feasible, and I continued to train around my injury. Instead of squats and deadlifts, I did split squats, and kettlebell swings, any exercise I could do without pain.

Curcumin, however, is great for injuries because it can reduce swelling and pain while promoting blood flow, so you're getting more nutrients to the injured area and are getting better faster. Also, you don't have the potential side effects that you would get from taking NSAIDs every day (they can really tear up your stomach).

I know this is completely anecdotal, but a few weeks ago, I couldn't even squat the bar without back pain. Yesterday, I was able to squat for 4 sets x 6 reps x135lbs pain free. I really do think the curcumin supplementation helped me recover faster, and for me, it will be a daily staple from now on.

A bottle goes for about $21 (goes down to $20 if you subscribe on Amazon), and it will last you 60 days. This comes out to $0.35/day. I think that's a great deal for all of the benefits you get from it. It's easily a worthwhile supplement for general health, and it confers several benefits to lifters specifically.

The price is in line with other BCM-95 products on the market. I found a BCM-95 product that was $.33/day, but it didn't have as much BCM-95 in it as Life Extension's offering (325mg vs 400mg). There are other products that cost a bit more $.46/day, but they offer more BCM-95/serving (650mg).

It appears that the price of BCM-95 is pretty stable, so it just depends on which brand you want to support. I've always had good results with Life Extension, and I'm not familiar with the other brands, so I think I'll stick with this one.

Side Effects

I had none. I also couldn't find any common side effects in the literature.

Conclusion

What else can I say? if Superman could be a pill, this would be it. Better mental health, better physical health, curcumin does a lot of good things.