FORGE Reviews

By: Legion Supplements

FORGE is an Alternative Weight Loss Product manufactured by Legion Supplements. It can help assist in the loss of body fat, working in different pathways that traditional thermogenics.

August 4, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Muscle Retention
  • Leaning Effect
- Introduction -
Intermittent Fasting or IF has slowly been gaining popularity in the fitness world. Whether the Lean Gains method of 16 hours off and 8 hours on, or the 5/2 method of going 24 hours without food twice a week, there has always been the worry of muscle loss due to the lack of nutrients, and specifically protein during the fast periods. There have been studies that have shown muscle loss does not happen even when fasting upwards of 24+ hours, however anyone looking to make ensure they are keeping all their hard earned muscle while fasting or just being in a calorie deficient can turn to the likes of BCAA or HMB. BCAA's are able to stimulate protein synthesis, however it also has an insulin response from the amino acid Leucine, HMB which is a metabolite does not have this same insulin response which can be important if you are dieting or fasting to help with insulin sensitivity. As well as you can use less HMB than BCAA's to reap some of the same benefits. Throughout my supplementation I was doing IF 16/8, and I switched workouts midway through going from a explosive power workout, to hypertrophy and strength based.

- Ingredient Profile -
This has quite the simple profile, though all the ingredients has a solid research backing them, and they are all dosed rather well.
Starting with the HMB dosed at 2.5g per serving(4 capsules), this is added to help keep muscle on when you are dieting and in a calorie deficit. More info on HMB can be found here: https://examine.com/supplements/hmb/
Next there Citicoline at 250mg which is a nootropic, and considered to be one of the better ones in terms of memory and increased cognitive ability. More info on Citicoline can be found here: https://examine.com/supplements/cdp-choline/
Finally the last ingredient is the fat burning one with 10mg of Yohimbine HCL which is a proven fat burner, however there are side effects from usage of this which I will get into later on. More infor on Yohimbine can be found here: https://examine.com/supplements/yohimbine/

Overall just looking at the ingredients and the dosages it looks solid on paper, with the HMB and Yohimbine making this perfect for Intermittent Fasting. The HMB keeps muscle loss at a minimum, and the Yohimbine stimulates your fat burning capacity. Solid ingredients, and dosages so far.

- Dosing -
Dosing range is 1-2 capsules per 50lbs. I am at 197lbs, so naturally I started off with 4 capsules and slowly added capsules to gauge my tolerance. I made it to 6 capsules, and went back to 4 after that. There are a total of 180 capsules, so 45 servings if you dose at 4 per day which is what I did most of the time.

- Effectiveness -
Over the course of my supplementation of Legion's Forge, roughly 40 days I noticed three different effects from this. The first one was that my waist line started to lean out a little, and my abs started to show ever more so slightly. However my weight stayed consistently around 197-199lbs throughout the supplementation of Forge, but the leaning out effects I noticed lead me to believe I lost a little fat, while gaining some muscle in the meantime. Also my waist measurements went down about a half inch as well, so there is some proof that I did lose something during my supplementation of Forge. Another effect I noticed is that my strength in the gym increased. I had plateaued a little in terms of strength and I am quite certain that this helped me break that plateau, in combination with my new workout regime. The final effect I noticed was my recovery was shortened. Every time I switch workouts, I am usually quite sore from the new exercises or reps ranges; however this time I only noticed soreness increase slightly, and return to standard with in week, when normally it takes a few weeks(2-3). Overall I liked this product and consider it a solid addition to any diet plan, specifically if you are doing Intermittent Fasting, the effects were noticeable and it helped me towards my goal of leaning out.

- Value -
Value is quite subjective. If you dose at 4 capsules per day then you get a total of 45 servings for $30. Now if I was to follow the guidelines, I would have been taking 8 capsules a day cutting the servings and the value in half. So the value is there, but mostly if you stay under 5 capsules per day.

- Side Effects -
At 4 capsules I did not experienced too noticeable of side effects. I could tell my temper was shortened, and that my anxiety was heighten, however it was not too too bad. Once I started to increase my dosages to 5 then eventually 6 capsules these side effects became more noticeable and started to hinder my daily life, so I went back to 4 capsules. All these side effects are ones commonly found from Yohimbine supplementation. The shortened temper and the increased anxiety are common when taking this, but for myself it seemed once I passed that 10mg threshold the side effects became unbearable. Everyone is different though, some might be able to take 8 capsules and not noticed anything, which others can only take 3 or 4. If you have anxiety issues I would suggest to steer clear of Yohimbine completely.

- Conclusion -
Legion Supplements is a no BS company, only using proven ingredients and Forge is just another example of their exceptional product line. I would recommend this to someone looking to lose weight, and keep as much muscle as possible. The price is a little high depending on how you supplement this, but I think the solid results are worth the slightly higher price.

July 20, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Focus
  • Leaning Effect
  • Muscle Retention
  • A Bit Pricey If You Dose Higher

Feels like forever since I last posted a review but I had a good time running this product and enjoying its benefits. I took this product as specifically required for maximum effectiveness.

Simple fully-disclosed profile consisting of HMB, Citicoline, and Yohimbine HCL.

Yohimbine HCL was dosed at 10mg per serving. I can certainly appreciate that the Yohimbine is split up into 2.5mg per capsule even though this means I needed to take 8 capsules a day for my effective dose. I was able to ramp up the dose rather quickly with no negative side effects. Yohimbine helps reduce fat stores while taken in a fasted state. It also increases exercise performance and reduces fatigue.

HMB was dosed at 2.5 grams per serving. This has some shaky research but it is known to be a good anti-catabolic agent which reduces muscle loss while working out in a fasted state.

The citicoline was dosed at 250 mg per serving and is used to increase alertness and inhibit mental fatigue commonly associated with fasted training.

Overall a simple profile geared specifically toward fat loss while doing fasted training. The only downside I see is that the only fat loss is from the yohimbine and the other two ingredients are geared only toward negating the negative effects of fasted training which is required to maximize the yohimbine's effectiveness.

Dosing was ramped quickly from 1 serving of 4 caps to 2 servings of 4 caps. The bottle contains 45 servings so it only lasted me about 3 weeks.

With such a simple profile I was surprised at how effective I actually found this product. I felt like it did have a decent leaning effect without muscle loss. I felt like I had and maintained mental alertness throughout my fasted training and overall I lost a couple of points and leaned out while maintaining muscle mass.

With such a simple profile I feel like I could copy it with bulk supplies for quite a bit cheaper. I was able to find this for just under 30 bucks for a 3 week supply which I felt was a bit pricey for the ingredients and the longevity of the bottle. I would love to see a full months supply for a similar price.

Side Effects

No side effects.

Conclusion

Overall I felt like this was a simple, yet effective stimulant-free fat burner. The downsides being the price and the very specific nature of its use for maximum effectiveness (i.e. fasted exercise only). That aside I enjoyed the product and felt like it was put together with quality ingredients.

June 28, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Recovery
  • Increased Focus
  • Muscle Retention
  • Leaning Effect
  • A Bit Pricey If You Dose Higher

Another special thanks to Legion Supplements for supporting the SR/TROOPS with their products. Today, I talk about Forge. Forge is an interesting product consisting of well known ingredients designed to help in recovery, fat loss, and mental sharpness. If you're in a fat loss phase, Forge may also aid in muscle retention as well and that is a huge plus in my book since muscle loss can be a ongoing concern when fat loss is the goal due to the lack of calories.

Forge contains four ingredients that include calcium at 338mg, HMB at 2.5g, citicoline at 250mg, and yohimbine hcl at 10mg. Having no prop blends is always big points for me.

These ingredients are nothing overly new but just as a brief overview;

HMB which is short for Calcium-beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate, is a metabolite of leucine shown to induce muscle hypertrophy, reduce catabolism, enhance recovery, and may increase GH and IGF-1 levels over long term use. HMB is noted to be best used pre-workout, but I've also read of several users who've used it post workout a well or even both pre and post. Either way, at subsequent doses, HMB can be helpful in quite a few ways.

Citicoline is an ingredient said to have nootropic and psycho-stimulant effects. It has been demonstrated to enhance focus, memory, and mental acuity through increased cerebral blood flow and glucose metabolism withing the brain. It is also shown to enhance dopamine receptor activity, aiding in the processes associated with focus and mental stamina. There have also been some studies showing that citicoline may also have neuro-protective properties.

Yohimbine HCL as we most of us if not all know by now is an alkaloid that helps our bodies utilize fat or energy by provoking the release of fat into the body for metabolism.

No taste or mixability to discuss since these are caps.

The dosing can be a bit complicated because in accordance to the instructions on Forge, dosing is dependent on weight. The baseline dosage for Forge is 2 caps twice daily, totaling 4 caps in all at a baseline weight of 100 lbs. The product the instrcts to add 1 cap per 50 additional pounds. To break it down:

150 lbs = 3 caps X 2 or 6 caps total

200 lbs = 4 caps X 2 or 8 caps total

250 lbs = 5 caps X 2 or 10 caps total.

So as you can see, the serving size can be quite large depending on how heavy you are. With the weight that I've shed during Ramadan, I've slimmed to a weight of about 223 lbs. For me, I found that the 8 caps dosage was the most effective. In the few days before Ramadan when i began to use this, I would take 4 caps pre and and 4 caps post workout. As Ramadan began, I took all 8 caps about two hours after my meal. It didn't seem to affect the effectiveness either way I took it.

I have to say Forge came in big time use for me during the fasting of Ramadan as it influenced me in a few core areas.

Recovery (9/10): Coupled with some extra amino acids, Forge helped my recovery big time. During a period when I have difficulty getting all my required macros, recovery can be something I can struggle to obtain, hence having a supplement or two that can aid in this area helps greatly. Forge, drastically reduced my DOMS and I found myself able to still power through my workouts effectively despite the lack of biological fuel from food sources.

Focus/Nootropic Effect (8/10): Surprisingly, my focus was noticeably improved as was my mood. I experienced the sharp, "lift everything in sight", mindset that I often crave from Nootropic or focus enhancing ingredients quite often with this product both during my workouts and even on non-training days when I am focusing on some summer related school work. I never was distracted by anything unrelated to my activities and was constantly focused on my goal oriented tasks both in and out of the gym.

Fat loss (8/10): I give this an 8, but some of this score is accredited to the complimenting use of Legion Supplements Phoenix fat burner as well. Of course, being that it is Ramadan, fat loss isn't exactly the hardest thing during this phase, but having a supplement that can keep your body in an efficient fat burning state by inducing lipolysis more frequently clearly doesn't hurt. Regardless, with Forge I noticed a good increased leaning of my body and vascularity was visibly better.

Muscle Retention (9/10): While this may couple with fat loss, I noticed that Forge's most notable benefit was how it enabled me to hold on to muslce size and primary strength. During Ramadan or any calorie restrictions, my physique can tend to appear less full and my strength may take minor dips at times. With Forge, the loss in size was reduced as was the occasional dips in strength. I found that my existing gains in strength and size were mostly spared from the fasting and that I was able to still lift within my original max loads.

The cheapest I was able to find forge was 28.49 for 180 capsules. The value in my opinion with this supplement will depend heavily on high you must dose the product for your particular weight and goals. For me, an 8 caps a day dosage means the bottle would last for about 22 days. While that is a little less than a month, for the benefits I got and for the ingredients, I'd say that is a very good value at the price. If you are a 10 cap dosage user, than the value may be lower, but I would recommend trying a lower dose first. Also, vice versa could be said for those who opt for the lower dosage in regards to their weight. Fewer caps a day means a longer lasting product and an even better value.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you are looking to drop fat or engage in a caloric restriction in order to reduce bodyfat in general while retaining muscle, keeping focus sharp, and enhancing recovery, Forge is a product that I believe can greatly aid in all categories. My take home advice with the product is to ensure you are dosing the product at the right amount of pills and of course keep training and diet on key.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!