KOS Organic Vegan Plant-Based Protein Reviews

By: KOS

KOS Organic Vegan Plant-Based Protein is a Plant Protein Powder manufactured by KOS. It is a common vegan-alternative to dairy and other animal based proteins. It supports lean muscle gain by supplying protein to recovering muscles and can enhance fat loss.

Overall
Overall
  July 2, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Cerified Organic
  • Free Shipping
  • Money Back Guarantee
  • High Quality Ingredients
  • Added Enzymes
  • Vegan
  • High In Sodium
  • Only One Size Available
  • Limited Suppliers

Organic plant-based protein that contains many vitamins and minerals. Comparable to other vegan proteins on the market as far as price goes.

I usually get ads either on my Facebook or Instagram accounts promoting plant based proteins and I saw that KOS was having a promotion on their protein powders. I never heard of them prior to that, so I decided to check out their page and decided to purchase a tub of each vanilla and chocolate flavors.

Originally when I purchased this a couple months back, the profile was 120 calories, 2.5g fat, 7 g carbs (3 g fiber, 2 g sugar), and 20 g protein per serving (two scoops). It appears that they have changed the ingredients by adding coconut milk for some reason which increases the fat content and ultimately the calories. I inquired about it through their live chat and the rep commented saying I had to email some other guy and leave my contact information so he could call me. I did not want to do that, so I am unsure why they added the coconut milk. Maybe for the flavor, but I thought both flavors tasted fine. Anyway, the protein blend is made up of pea, flax seed, quinoa, pumpkin seed, and chia seed. No soy or rice proteins included. Sweetened with coconut sugar, stevia, and monk fruit.

EDIT: I eventually was able to talk with one of their reps (maybe even the owner) and he stated that the reason they added the coconut milk was because consumers stated they wanted something more filling, so KOS listened and changed the profile a bit. Adding fat usually helps keep you full for a bit longer, so I think it is awesome KOS is willing to change up their products to please the consumers.

They also use a digestive enzyme blend and there is also vitamins and minerals included. Some highlights are 45% vitamin A, 60% vitamin C, 40% iron, and 50% vitamin D. Many more are included, but in lower dosages. Every bit helps though. One possible negative is that it is pretty high in sodium at 440 mg per serving. I do not pay attention to my sodium intake too much, so it did not really bother me. Plus it contains pink Himalayan salt, which I am a big fan of anyway.

Taste: Chocolate 8/10, vanilla 7/10. I thought these flavors were really good especially since I mixed them in water or mixed them in with my oatmeal. I preferred the chocolate on its own and preferred the vanilla in with my oatmeal.

Mixability 6/10: It mixed fine except that some of the seeds? settled toward the bottom and were always left at the bottom of the shaker. I was never able to get them to mix properly.

Dosing: KOS recommends two scoops in 8-10 ounces of a beverage. Usually I used one scoop at a time just for a bit of extra protein and to enhance the flavors of my water or oatmeal. They say you can also replace 1/8 of flour with this protein in baking recipes. I do not bake, so I never tested it out.

I mostly had this as a light snack in between meals or used to flavor my oatmeal which I usually eat post-workout. I usually only used one scoop at a time because I already take a protein powder in my post-workout smoothie, so this was just an addition during the day. I never had any digestive issues and I have not really been sore too much lately. Maybe it is from the program I am finishing up with or my diet, but yeah I am usually good to go the next day with little to no soreness.

Like I said up top, I saw an ad stating that they were running some type of special on this protein. I was able to get 60 servings (30 of each flavor) for $56. They offer free two day shipping on all orders, which is pretty cool. At that price, each serving came out to about $0.94. Normally, they charge $40 for their one-time purchase option and $30 when you subscribe with the auto-renewal. $40 is a pretty fair price for an organic plant-based protein that does not use soy or rice. You have to remember they also add the digestive blend and just use high-quality natural ingredients in general. For the auto-renewal price, it is actually a good deal in my opinion, even if you are only getting 20 g of protein per serving, but I have been trying out a lot of different proteins lately and like the variety. There is an option to get it at that price and set the re-order for every 90 days, so it is not like you have to have it delivered every month. There is also a 90 day money back guarantee if you are not happy with your purchase.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I would recommend this for those who want a plant-based protein. It is certified organic, uses high-quality ingredients, and tastes great. On a side note, the label is kind of unique and they put all little cartoon characters around the label which I thought was pretty fun. If you want to do the subscription, I do not think you can really go wrong with the price at $1 per serving, especially with the money back guarantee. I will definitely be purchasing this again in the future.
  • Chocolate: 8/10
  • Vanilla: 7/10

• shae2311
    July 3, 2018

Did it have that greeny aftertaste to it like most vegan proteins or were they able to mask it

• JayT
    July 4, 2018

I thought it tasted fine. I didn't detect an earthy flavor at all.

• shae2311
    July 4, 2018

Good to know. Nice review might have to check this one out.

• JayT
    July 4, 2018

Thanks man. I'd say go for it. I actually got one of their reps to sign up (although I think I sent the wrong link and didn't send the one for him to claim the brand), but it seems like he was interested in the site. Maybe he could participate with the TROOPs in the future.