Brownie Mix Reviews

By: Kodiak Cakes

Protein > Other Protein
Brownie Mix is an Alternative Protein Supplement manufactured by Kodiak Cakes. It provides additional dietary proteins that can increase lean muscle tissue and increase fat loss.

Overall
Overall

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Macros

I used this product to make brownies last week. They were delicious, fudgy not dry at all. I wouldn't have known they were protein brownies if I hadn't made them myself. I do recommend.

I'm a powerlifter, and I like to bake. I often make desserts, and sometimes, I make protein desserts. Baking with protein powder is risky because you can easily end up with a dry product or a rubbery one.

When I saw this product in the grocery store, I had to try it. I've already used Kodiak pancake mix and the microwavable muffins, so I know they're a good company.

I decided to make the brownies as specified on the box. I didn't want to get fancy with my first attempt.

The ingredient list is pretty standard. You have cane sugar, chocolate, cocoa powder, and baking powder, all of which you would expect to see in brownie mix. The flour used is whole wheat. There's also oat flour, wheat protein isolate, and whey protein concentrate.

The macros will change depending on how you make the brownies. For example if you use butter, then you'll end up with more calories than if you use greek yogurt (which is an acceptable substitution on the box).

Macros for Dry Mix (1 serving = 1/12 box)
    Calories 140, 2.5g fat (1.5g saturated), 24g carbs (2g fiber, 18g sugar), protein 7g.

If you follow the recipe, the macros are:
    Cals 230, 12.5g fat, (6g saturated), 24g carbs (2g fiber, 18g sugar), protein 8g.

I got the chocolate fudge as that was the flavor in the store. I thought it was done really well, 9/10 . Often times with protein snacks, the chocolate flavor is weak and underwhelming. These were done right. The flavor was rich. The texture was also good. They had a nice, heavy mouth feel that I expect when I eat brownies. All you need is a glass of milk by your side and you're good to go.

The brownie mix was easy to work with. I had no clumping issues.

I cut the brownies into 16 pieces instead of 12 to try and make them last a bit longer, so my servings were a bit smaller than standard. Not sure it worked. The brownies were gone in a few days.

I found this product to be effective because:

1. It made good brownies. They tasted good. They were filling without being too heavy in your stomach.

2. The directions were easy to follow.

3. The recipe was accurate. I didn't end up with a brownie mix that was too loose or too dry or too eggy. I did bake them at the lower end of the time range, and I think that was the correct decision for my oven.

A box of Kodiak Cake Brownie Mix will cost you about $5 (can be a bit cheaper if you buy in bulk). This is a lot for a brownie mix. You can often get a box for $2-3, but a typical brownie mix will give you 1-2g protein per serving.

Other protein mixes I've seen on the market were $6-$8, so I think Kodiak's product is fairly priced considering the market.

Side Effects

Conclusion

These were good. They're a bit too expensive for me to buy all the time, but every now and then, I'd splurge on a box. I also got their cornbread, so I'll be trying that next.
    • Chocolate Fudge: 9/10

• Wis3guy
      June 14, 2018

Man, now I gotta go find this so I can make some brownies......

• htevans

^ this

• TheVenom
      June 17, 2018

You can't beat brownies that don't come with the excess guilt lol.