Caffeine Capsules Reviews

By: Kaged Muscle

Caffeine Capsules is an Energy Supplement manufactured by Kaged Muscle. It is designed to improve mental focus and energy.

April 9, 2017

• Pill Form
  • Organic
  • Non-GMO
  • Price
  • Some Side Effects

After having positive results with previous Kaged Muscle (KM) products, I decided to try their caffeine pill called PurCaf Caffeine. The main draw of the product is that is organic caffeine from green coffee beans. KM claims that their caffeine product is chemical free, 100% organic, greater results at a smaller dose, more water soluble, and a lower risk of unwanted side effects. To be honest, that sounds like a whole lot of BS marketing so let us see if it lives up to the claims.

----Ingredient Profile---
The product contains one active ingredient and that is 200 mg of PurCaf Organic Caffeine from green coffee beans. The patent for PurCaf is held by Applied Food Sciences, Inc. (AFS) based out of Austin, TX. I could not find any studies on the effectiveness of PurCaf over synthetic caffeine such as caffeine anhydrous. AFS both mention that it is 100% organic, chemical free, non-GMO so you presumably are getting what the bottle claims. I trust KM so I believe their claims of chemical free and 100% organic. The inactive ingredients include a vegetable capsule, which is great since some other caffeine pills I have tried used gelatin. It also includes silicone dioxide which is a natural ingredient made with silicone and oxygen. It is traditionally used as an anti-caking agent and it is found naturally in plants. The last ingredient is stearic acid, which is used as an emulsifying agent, solubilizing agent, or lubricant. One thing to note is that this can come from vegetable sources but it can also come from animal sources.

A quick note on caffeine itself, it is a widely studied product and can have several benefits such as improved cognition/alertness, increased power output, and can help burn fat. One study found that caffeine could improve morning workouts by reversing the circadian rhythm effects on neuromuscular performance (1). In another study, caffeine was found to elevate body temperature and induce sweating, which in turn can lead to thermogensis (2). There are numerous other studies on the effects of caffeine on examine.com (https://examine.com/supplements/caffeine/)

In terms of taste, this did have a slight bitterness taste when I opened the capsule and mixed it with plain water. The water would become cloudy after mixing it, which may be due to the additives in the product (stearic acid and silicone dioxide) because according to AFS and KM it is supposed mixes clear in solution. One of the claims KM makes is that this form of caffeine is more water soluble, which will lead to quicker absorption. They claim you will "feel the caffeine surge through your body within minutes of taking it" and that it will deliver the "energizing effects almost instantly" (3). I felt no surge or instant energizing effects, for me it took about 30 minutes to kick in and lasted for about 1.5-2 hours.

As far as dosing goes, I mostly stuck to one pill at a time but I did open the pill up a few times and split the dosage. This would be three pills a day with roughly 300mg per serving (my usual caffeine dosage is about 400-600 mg). I found the best dose to be one pill when I needed it whether it was before the gym or as a coffee alternative in the mornings (I ended up stopping using it as a coffee alternative due to side effects, see side effect section). I want to touch on a claim by KM that you can have "greater results at a smaller dose." This just sounds like marketing garbage and I noticed no difference from a 200 mg dose of this product over a 200 mg dose caffeine anhydrous.

KM has an effective caffeine product here with their PurCaf caffeine pills. I did notice that I performed better in the gym as opposed to no caffeine. However, I do not believe that I performed better with this naturally sourced caffeine then I did with synthetic (such as Nutrabio or AllMax caffeine). In addition, when using this as a coffee alternative in the AM I would get a headache. This will drop the effectiveness since that affected my day in a negative way. I am wondering if it has to do with the green coffee bean. I have had issues in the past with products that contained coffee berry extract. However, with regular coffee I do get some headaches but not as frequent as with this product or those containing coffee berry extract.

As far as taking this product before the gym, it worked as advertised. I would drink it about 15-30 minutes out from the gym and it would last for 1.5-2 hours. The energy was nothing mind blowing and it did not do much for focus. However, it gave me an effective energy boost to get to the gym and do what I needed to do. I did have an occasional slight crash after my workout and the headache when dosing before the gym.

KM caffeine retails for about $13.41 for 100 pills, which is about $.13 per pill. This is expensive since I can get caffeine anhydrous pills from Nutrabio for $.04 per pill. I am sure you can find caffeine pills for even cheaper but I decided to compare it to another company I trust. That is a $.09 cent difference, which can add up over the long term. You have to decide for yourself if you believe the marketing and are willing to spend the extra money for naturally sourced caffeine.

Side Effects

KM claims that you have a lower risk of side effects while using PurCaf over "leading synthetic caffeine tablets." Again, what a load of marketing garbage. I am reminded of cell-tech ads or SNAC ZMA ads from the past with the marketing blog post (linked at the bottom in #3). They offer no study or support that someone taking organic caffeine will have lower risk of side effects than someone taking synthetic caffeine.

Personally, I did have some side effects from these pills and they were headaches after taking them. For example, I get up at 5:30 AM and would take the pill then without food. I will eat breakfast consisting of a protein shake and some oatmeal at about 6:30 AM. By about 7:00 AM, I will have a headache and this was constant over the bottle. I stopped using it as a coffee alternative in the AM but brought it back to test and I still received the headache. With other caffeine pills such as Nutrabio or AllMax I did not always have the headache like I did with this product. I will note when taking before workout I would sometimes have a headache but not as much as using it in AM. I also had a slight crash but the crash felt on par with coffee or synthetic caffeine pills (caffeine anhydrous). I will note that the side effects happened even at one pill but they were worse as I went up in dosage.

Conclusion

Overall, this product is effective but its effectiveness is hindered by the side effects I had. I was energized but the headaches and slight crash affected my overall rating of the product. If you are looking for a caffeine pill that is organic and non-GMO then this might be worth a shot. However, if you do not care about that I would look elsewhere as there are cheaper alternatives.

(1) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22496767
(2) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21883004
(3) https://www.kagedmuscle.com/blogs/nutrition-supplements/organic-purcaf-versus-caffeine

November 19, 2016

• Pill Form
    First off I want to thank Kaged Muscle for letting me have the chance to give this product a try. I wanted to use another amino product with caffeine in it but they do not have any products like that. So what they did was send me their BCAA powder and these caffeine pills to try and review. This was my first time using straight up caffeine pills. I have never really been into caffeine pills but since they were willing to send me them and review for them I thought I would give them a try.

Ingredients:
    This is pretty simple. This has 200mg of PurCaf (Organic Caffeine) from green coffee beans. I think the 200mg per pill is a pretty decent amount of caffeine for a lot of people but maybe not so much the stim junkies. I never knew there was such a thing as organic caffeine until I tried their products. I had no idea what the difference was between regular caffeine and organic caffeine. I sent them a message and ask them what the difference was and this is what they told me. "A lot of competitors use synthetic caffeine, which is very taxing on the adrenal gland. Kaged Muscle PurCaf is an organic certified, 90% pure caffeine extract derived from water extracted green coffee beans for unpolluted plant-based energy.

Value:
    The cheapest I could find a bottle of 100 pills was on suppz.com for $12.85. I don't think that's to bad a deal for 100 pills. I know some people will only need one pill at a time and if you can get by with one pill it's even a better deal I think.

Taste:
    No taste these come in pill form

Mixing/Dosing:
    Nothing to mix. Dosing is pretty simple. Here is what it says on the label take 1 capsule 30-45 minutes before workouts and 1 capsule as needed, allowing 3-4 hours between servings not to exceed 2 servings per day. Here is how I dosed these. In the mornings with my BCAA powder I would take 2 pills at a time. That is when I used this mainly. This could be used before your workout or when ever you need that extra energy to get you going.

Since discovering this company this was the first time I have ever used organic caffeine. Since I had never used it before I could not compare it to over companies that have used it. I really like the idea behind organic caffeine and how it's less taxing on your adrenal glands. They say each pill is 200mg. For me I have a pretty high stim tolerances. I started out at 200mg to see how it would affect me and it was not very much so I upped it to two pills at 400mg. At 400mg I felt was just the right amount I needed anything more than that I think would be to much since 400mg is still a lot. I felt like this always gave me some pretty good clean energy. Never did I feel all jittery even at 400mg of caffeine. It gave me a nice slight little buzz to help get me going in the mornings. On days when I felt really tired I would pop two of these and by the time I got to work I would start to feel more alert and more energized. This gave me a nice little pick me up with out having to feel all jittery on top of it. I think overall through out the day I just felt better and more alert and by the end of my work day I still felt good. I think through out the day this helped me to feel less tired and drained just from working all day. It seemed liked the affects from this lasted a longer time which was nice. I know some of those energy shots work right away but only last a very short time but not so much with this product. This is a very easy and simple way to add a little extra caffeine into your system whenever you need a little pick me up on energy.

Side Effects:
    Nothing

Overall:
    I was rather impressed with how these worked for me. It's nice to have something like this that is affective and keeps working for a longer period of time. These are very simple and easy to use to add a little extra caffeine into your system. For the price I think these are worth having on hand to use once in awhile. I would not use them all the time but are nice to have once in a awhile. I am glad to see they use organic caffeine rather than regular caffeine so it's not so taxing on your adrenal glands. If you want good clean energy without feeling all cracked out and jittery these are worth checking out. Thanks again Kaged Muscle for letting have the chance to try these.

January 19, 2016

• None

I'm no expert but I try to research and learn about ingredients as much as I can before putting them in my body. I finally have a diet dialed in and now I use supplements to supplement my diet and take my physique to the next level.

200mg of PurCaf caffeine per capsule. According to Kaged Muscle these are an organic certified, 90% pure caffeine extract derived from water extracted green coffee beans for unpolluted plant-based energy.

Doesn't taste like anything because they are capsules. But even when I break the capsule down and pour the powder in the water it doesn't taste like anything, at least not to me.

Mixes well in either a water bottle or shaker cup if i break down the capsules and dump the powder in. As well as mixed with other ingredients when I put my own pre workout together.

I love pre workouts that are from 350mg of caffeine to 400mg. That is how I like it. This PurCaf was a little different than regular caffeine for me. I don't get that kick in the face from 2 capsules. It feels more like it builds up on you and you don't even feel that you are now full of energy and more awake. When it goes away I didn't crash either, it went away as smooth and you don't really notice either.

I don't think i ever had organic caffeine before, so I can't compare to any other supplement out there that used the same thing. BUT I have very high tolerance for caffeine but 1 capsule is enough for me when I do cardio and abs alone on my OFF day at the gym. Sometimes even for chest or shoulders. But like I mentioned before 2 capsules/400mg of caffeine is how I like it. Specially since when I'm done with my workout I can go to work or class and feel energized to get things done still.

100 capsules for $13. It's very cheap, which I love because I don't have much money to spend on supplements. So I pretty much love the fact that this will last me a long time. If I go 2 capsules per workout it will still give me 50 workouts from it. Perfect for the price.

Side Effects

No side effects for me.

Conclusion

Cheap and effective which is what I like and want from supplements that I pour my hard earned money on. This doesn't give me that kick in the face when it kicks and it doesn't make me crash either when it 'wears off' so that is def a plus in my book.