Pre-Workout Formula Reviews

By: Ixion Nutrition

Pre-Workout > Pump
Pre-Workout Formula is a Pump Product manufactured by Ixion Nutrition. It is meant to increase blood flow, muscle pumps and increase vascularity. It can be stacked with a stimulant based pre-workout for an added stimulant effect. This promotes an environment for increased muscle mass and fat loss.
7.1

6.7
5.7
  November 10, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Focus
  • Joint Support
  • Lack Of Endurance Benefits
  • Lack Of Pump

Before I start I want to thank IXION Nutrition for giving me the opportunity to review Pre-Workout Formula. This was the first time I've heard of IXION Nutrition, I guess its named after the Greek Mythology Legend? Anyways, I've used many pre-workout supplements and this by far had the most diverse ingredients. What I was looking for once I started using Pre-Workout Formula was focus, pumps & energy.

The ingredient profile features a transparent label with 7 different categories. I'll go in order from top-bottom & left to right going over the categories/complexes.

Strength & Endurance: features 3 common ingredients: 3500mg Beta Alanine, 2500mg Betaine Anhydrous, 2500mg Creatine Monohydrate.

Joint Support: 1 ingredient: 500mg (MSM) Methylsulfonylmethane, naturally occurring organosulfur compound used as an anti-inflammatory agent.

Libido and Mood: 2 ingredients: 500mg Maca Root Powder, 150mg Mucuna Pruirens. This is the first time I've seen a libido category associated with a pre-workout supplement. Don't really know what to think about that. Anyways, Maca Root Powder is an Andean Plant from the Mustard family that has shown to improve sexual dysfunction. Mucuna Pruirens is known for its dopaminergic actions to help improve mood.

Energy: 2 ingredients: 275mg Caffeine Anhydrous, 30mg Synephrine.

Pump: 2 ingredients: 5000mg Citrulline, 300mg L-Norvaline. Both ingredients are shown to increase N.O. production.

Focus: 3 ingredients: 500mg Taurine, 200mg Theanine, 100mcg Huperzine A. Theanine is found in tea and has shown to relax the mind. Huperzine A has been shown to improve memory & brain functions.

Taste- There are currently two flavors available and I received the Pineapple Orange flavor (other is Raspberry Lemonade). I was excited to see this flavor combination however the taste was just blah. In fact most of the time is was just bland.

Mixability- No issues in regards to mixing, I only used water when mixing. Overall there was no clumping or any kind of settling.

Dosing- I followed the directions on the tub and mixed 1 scoop with 8 oz of water - 20 min before training.

With all of the categories from the ingredient profile I'm going judge the effectiveness using those.

Strength and Endurance 2/10: I really didn't notice much of a difference in both of those areas. While the volume is pretty high using percentages during Cube Predator, there wasn't much of an improvement to endurance. I didn't feel like I could reduce rest time between sets like I could with other products.

Joint Support 5/10: There was some improvement in the area especially after squats and deadlifts. It didn't take away the major aches & pains but it definitely helped with minor irritating joint pain.

Libido & Mood 2/10: I can't say I saw much of anything (if anything) from this. Libido alone is an odd thing to add to a pre-workout supplement. My libido was already high at the time of use.

Energy 7/10: I'm so used to stimulant pre-workouts that I wasn't thinking there would be much of an increase here. Surprisingly there was an increase of "clean" energy with no crash. It was actually refreshing to have that feeling throughout training without jitters and sweats that stims can produce.

Pump 3/10: Although I had minor pumps during high volume days they weren't what I was expecting. Too be honest I was expecting a little more, usually you have a balloon/swole feeling but that really wasn't the case.

Focus 7.5/10: This was the best area out of all the categories. Although I don't need much focus while training in my garage there was definitely an improvement. No tunnel vision focus but I got through my workouts without any distractions - One thing on my mind lift heavy & angry.

The only value I could find was on the IXION Nutrition website for $32.00 down from $37.50. With only 20 servings in each tub your paying around $1.60 per serving. This is a high price point when compared to more effective pre-workouts. Besides for that comparison it wasn't effective enough to me to pay that price.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion I like where IXION Nutrition is heading with Pre-Workout Formula. However there are a few areas that need some work: price, serving size, some formula adjustments. If these things can be fixed then I could see myself trying out another tub. The potential is there but some work needs to be done first. Although some of the ingredients/categories are odd it could save you some money from purchasing additional supplements.
  • Pineapple Orange: 5/10

5.5
  November 3, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Focus
  • Joint Support
  • Lack Of Pump
  • Lack Of Endurance Benefits

A special thanks to IXION Nutrition for their participation here on SR.com. Today, I discuss my experiences with their pre workout formula. The product itself doesn't have a fancy name and is simply called IXION Nutrition Pre-Workout Formula. I've used so many pre workouts in my days that I don't even keep count. Pre workouts are probably the second most common thing in my own personal regimen next to protein. Like all pwo supplements, while taking IXION's formulation, I was looking for energy, pump, focus, and potentially endurance in my workouts.

IXION Pre Workout contains a fully disclosed profile with no prop blends. The profile begins first with some adequate doses of vitamin C and B-vitamins. Following that are separate complexes containing their own respective ingredients.

First is the Strength and Endurance complex containing beta alanine at 3500mg, creatine monohydrate at 2500mg, and betaine anhydrous at 2500mg. Though not needing any real explanation given their time on the market, all three of these ingredients are linked to better endurance and power output.

Following is the Joint Support complex containing methylsulfonylmethane or MSM at 500mg. MSM is known for supporting connective tissue in cartilage and joints and reducing inflammation.

Next is the Libido and Mood complex containing maca root at 500mg and mucuna pruriens at 150mg. Libido is not really something I look for in a pre workout and I never have a problem in that department. However, in addition for libido and mood enhancement maca and mucuna pruriens can still have benefits in the pre workout category by supporting energy levels and the GH peak associated with physical exercise.

After that is the Energy complex containing 275mg of caffeine anhydrous and synephrine at 30mg. Again, I don't think I need to explain these ingredients since by now we should know how caffeine is the most well known stimulant and synephrine is bet known for its metabolic enhancement properties.

Following that is the Pump complex consisting of L-Citrulline at 5000mg and L-Norvaline at 300mg. Both ingredients are known for enhancing nitrix oxide levels through the increase of naturally occurring arginine levels and inhibiting counter enzymes that may reduce nitric oxide levels.

Lastly is the focus complex containing 500mg of taurine, 200mg of l-theanine, and 100mcg of huperzine A. Taurine can enhance central nervous activity as it is one of the most abundant amino acid in brain tissue and essential for receptor activity, l-theanine has cognitive enhancement properties especially when combined with caffeine, and huperzine A also has cognitive support by helping to support connectivity and response between brain and muscle tissues.

Pineapple orange and raspberry lemonade are the two available flavors at this time. I received the pineapple orange and found it ok from a general taste point of view, but sometimes it left a bit of an unpleasant tart aftertaste.

It mixed well in water and any sports drink I may have also used.

You would take this as you would any other pre workout supplement. I took one scoop 20 minutes before hitting the weights.

Energy (7/10): While not the strongest increase I've experienced, IXION PWO still gave me a good, clean, consistent surge of energy that was able to last through each training session. The product is not overly stim heavy, so I wasn't expecting anything along the lines of an intense speed rush, so I was satisfied with the energy I got overall for what IXION PWO contains.

Pump (3/10): Honestly, pump was an area of lag for this product. I did not get a significant pump or swole feel and vascularity showed very little if any improvement. The occasional minor pumps I did get were limited to high volume sets on heavy compound exercises.

Joint Support: Rather than scoring, since this is not something you normally expect from a pre workout, I'll just say that the occasional minor aches I may get in my joints after heavy training sessions were absent during my use of IXION PWO. Safe to say, the MSM joint support addition was a nice bonus and something to consider if you suffer from joint discomfort.

Focus/Mood (7/10): Focus and mood were surprisingly improved rather well while on IXION PWO. I had the coveted sharpened mindset that allows me to more properly concentrate and hone myself in on all training goals for each individual session. I found myself to have a more positive, but still gym appropriate aggressive demeanor and felt more happy and accomplished after each workout.

Endurance (3/10): On its own, IXION PWO didn't seem to really affect my endurance neither positively or negatively. I did have a very minimal reduction in fatigue that I would only notice during less intensive training intervals where I wasn't planning on maxing out on a particular movement. It wasn't until I added Dioxyme's MPO that I really started noticing much improved endurance. So overall, this was another area IXION PWO didn't significantly shine in.

Libido: Again, since this is not something you'd expect in a pre workout, I'll just note that my libido seemed pretty much the same while on IXION PWO. I normally have a high and healthy libido either way so it's not something I was expecting.

Firefighter noted in his review that he was able to find the product on IXION's own website for 32 dollars. I am going to guess that maybe at the time, the product was on sale and being sold at a lower price to help promote it, but on their website, the current price is 37.50. This was indeed the only price I was able to find. At 32 dollars for 20 servings given the efficacy, that would be a good enough value. However, at the 37.50, you're looking at abut 1.90 per serving for a quantity of 20 servings, that won't last a full month. For me, that brings the value down considering you can purchase other popular pre workouts of equal or higher efficacy containing more servings for almost 5-10 dollars less. So unfortunately, IXION PWO loses some credit.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In closing, IXION PWO does indeed have potential to be a viable contender in the pre workout market. However, some key things need to be adjusted:

1. Needs more pump factor
2. A full 30-day supply of servings would be nice to better equate a fair price
3. Better endurance enhancement
4. Perhaps improvement on flavor

If these things were to be tweaked, IXION PWO would be a far better pre workout formula. If you do decide to try it though, you can expect a satisfactory increase in energy, focus, and mood at the very least. The added joint support and potential increase in libido are also nice touches, but everyone will respond differently.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO PATS!!
  • Pineapple Orange: 6/10

October 30, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Focus

First off thank you very much to Ixion Nutrition for sending me their preworkout supplement to review! I am a 26 year old firefighter from Ohio. My main fitness goals are to maintain a solid shape for my job and to build muscle mass / strength.

This profile caught my eye pretty quick as I found it to be interesting and impressive. It is grouped into 7 different categories, each with their own targeted goal. First one is Strength and Endurace which contains 3,500mg of Beta Alanine, 2,500mg of Betaine Anhydrous, and 2,500mg of Creatine Monohydrate. Second is Joint Support which contains 500mg of MSM and is the only ingredient. Third is Libido and Mood which contains 500mg of Maca Root Powder and 150mg of Muruca Pruriens. Fourth is Energy with 275mg of Caffeine and 30mg of Synephrine. Fifth is pump with 5,000mg of L-Citrulline and 300mg of L-Norvaline. Sixth is Focus with 500mg of Taurine, 200mg of L-Theanine, and 100mcg of Huperzine A. Seventh and last is Absorbtion with 4mg of Black Pepper Extract. Overall I really like how this hits all angles of preparing you for a workout and even throws in some Libido. I do wish there was a bit more L-Citrulline but with everything else it contains it's hard to argue. Good job on the unique formula Ixion.

They have only 1 flavor and that is Pineapple Orange. This is one area that this supplement is lacking. The flavor is not bad at all but is not very strong tasting at all even when slightly less water was used. It also had a slight creamyness flavor to it which isn't bad just didn't expect it. It mixed almost perfectly with a little bit of residue left at the bottom after mixing. It easily swirled back up with a shake. The dosing felt just right at 20.3 grams per serving. The scoop size was average.

This is definitely an effective preworkout but could be tweaked be even better and a big contender on the market. The energy was perfect for me. I'm not huge on stims and the caffeine in this was the sweet spot for me. The energy came pretty quic after consumption and lasted throughout my whole lift. The beta alanine tingles were awesome and came on quickly. I definitely felt strong while lifting. The pumps were decent but could definitely be improved upon. It's hard to judge the Libido aspect because I feel I have a pretty high one already. My joints felt fine before this supplement so that was also hard to judge. The focus worked for me as I felt zoned in each lift. This definitely improved my gym time each day.

Right now I was only able to find it on the companies website. They are selling each tub for $32. Each tub contains 20 servings which breaks down to about $1.60 per scoop. Personally I would like to have more than 20 servings at that price. But it is effective so if you don't mind paying for a product that works then consider it.

Side Effects

I experienced no negative side effects during my usage of this product.

Conclusion

Well to conclude this I'm gonna give Ixion a thumbs up. This is a different and unique preworkout blend that definitely is effective and shows signs of being even more effective. I hope they continue to improve upon what they have and make it even better one day. I definitely love to give it another shot in the future. I recommend it to anyone looking for a preworkout and has a little extra cash they are willing to spend. Thanks again Ixion!
  • Pineapple Orange: 6/10