Oh Yeah! Isolate Power Reviews

A1Supplements

(4 lb) - [$13.74/lb]

Ill Pump You Up

Overall
Overall
6.6
  August 9, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Extra Protein

Whey Isolate Power by Oh Yeah is probably not worth the price tag. It has poor flavor, leaves a bad after taste, leaves you feeling bloated and probably is on the high side for pricing. However, it's decent for meal substitution or meal supplementation for extra protein to feed your muscles.

I had some extra money to burn and I saw Whey Isolate Power by Oh Yeah! on the clearance rack at my local nutrition store. A few things led me to believe this would not be a quality product but I decided to try it anyways. 1) It was on the clearance rack 2) I know Oh Yeah! mainly for their protein bars and they're not one of the more well known names such as Dynamatize or Cellucor 3) How effective can a protein be that is simply just Whey Isolate with added flavoring and no added BCAA's.

Not much to say about the ingredient profile. This protein has a very simple ingredient profile, mainly just being Whey Isolate powder with natural and artificial flavors and some sweeteners such as sucralosefor flavor. One good thing about this protein is that it is an isolate, so it is very low carbs (only 2g), has zero fat, and 25 grams of protein so it is a good protein for someone who is trying to cut weight.

I got the cookies and cream flavor, expecting it to have a satisfying flavor since it's a dessert flavor. However, the flavor was nothing extraordinary, not horrible but not outstanding. It did have a very chemically aftertaste that stayed in my mouth for a while though. The directions say to mix it with 6-8 ounces of water, and it mixes pretty well, doesn't clump up at all. One thing I didn't like about it was the consistency though, it was very watery whereas I like thicker protein shakes.

This protein lasted me a little over a month and it worked pretty decent. Besides my complaints about flavor and pricing, it is a whey isolate so it's good for increasing lean muscle. Maybe not as effective as other supplements out their since it has no added ingredients besides the whey isolate itself. In that month, I lost about two pounds with a slight decrease in my waist size but no significant gains.

The initial price tag said $58 for 68 servings, putting this protein at about 85 cents per scoop. However, I got it on clearance for $32 so it was a steal. Knowing those initial red flags that this was a low quality product, I would not have bought this protein if it was not on the clearance rack. Although it has a good amount of servings, $58 seems a little steep for the quality of product. Besides, anyone who shops at Costco knows you can pick up a 75 serving bag of muscle milk for $39.99 and it's just as effective.

Side Effects

The biggest thing that bothered me was the chemically aftertaste. It was not unbearable, it could be cured by drinking a glass of water, however it was not enjoyable. The only other side effect I noticed was that this protein made me feel bloated for a little bit after drinking it. It is produced in a factory that contains wheat, fish, soybeans, shellfish, and peanuts so if you have allergies you may want to consult with a physician before using this product.

Conclusion

For all the negative things I have to say about this protein, I know I still give it a meh face rather than an angry face. That's because despite the poor flavor, it is still a whey isolate and a decent source of protein when you might not have time to get in a meal.

• MarsheS
    6 days ago

This review isn't helpful nor unhelpful, it just needs someone (it will have to be me I guess) to clarify certain things. These are the reasons I say this review isn't helpful:

1. This protein isn't low quality. It uses the second highest quality protein which is Whey Protein Isolate. It also uses cross-flow microfiltration technology to process the Protein and all the macros tell you it's top quality (zero fat, zero cholesterol, very low calories, 2g carbs, etc)

2. This is not decent for meal substitution because it's only Protein, no carbs, no fat so it can't be a meal substitution. It's decent to be like a "snack" to add more protein to your daily diet.

3. The "watery" consistency is because of its macros/top quality. Most Isolates have a "watery" consistency because they got the carbs, fat, other fillers removed. I don't like that consistency either but whoever buys Isolates only, must know this. About the taste, most isolates' have an "average" taste. That's also because the carbs, fat and other fillers got removed so they don't put a lot of ingredients for taste. If you were expecting something extraordinary or outstanding, then your expectations were wrong although in this case, it's the product's fault too because they claim it has an "unprecedent taste".

4. I don't like when some people here compare supplements that are NOT in the same category. A car that is worth $10,000 takes me from point A to point B, just like the car that is worth $80,000. They are both equally effective doing that. The $10 pants are just as useful as the $50 pants. The $20 shoes are just as useful as the $100 shoes. What makes you and others think supplements are different from the examples I just mentioned?? But you won't see me going to a Ferrari forum to make a review about a Ferrari and saying the Value is low because the $10,000 car will do the same thing as the $80,000 Ferrari! Protein supplements are used to reach protein intake to what we need daily. So the results we get depend more on what we eat than which protein supplement we consume. That's why your 75 serving Muscle Milk it's just "as effective" as Oh Yeah Isolate Power.

5. And finally that leads us to the price. Based on my online search, there's no 68 servings. There's 58-62 servings (depending on flavor), so more or less it's $1 per serving approximately. Bodybuilding has it for $55 (regular price) so that's a little less than $1 per serving. If we look at the competition, Dymatize ISO100 3lbs (43-47 serv) is $49.99 (regular price), Kaged Muscle Isolate (42 serv - their new Isolate) is $47.99 (regular price), ON Isolate 3lbs (40-43 serv) is $49.99, etc. That's clearly more than $1 per serving. For us to see a $1 per serving from those Proteins, we would have to buy the 5lbs size, which is $75. So which price is expensive again?? Of course Price isn't the only thing to put Value (although it's the main aspect) and I agree that a bad aftertaste and slightly feeling bloated can reduce Value... but 5? Effectiveness of 6? You wanted significant gains in a month?

So for all those reasons, this review isn't helpful for me. It's helpful on certain things, unhelpful in the things I mentioned which is a lot. Still good to see a product like that getting a review.