Protein > Protein Bars

Oh Yeah! Bars is a Protein Bar manufactured by ISS Research. It is a quick, conveinient source of protein and commonly used as a meal replacement. The additional protein can help increase muscle mass as well as promote fat loss.

Overall
Overall
  May 12, 2009

I've been using these for a few weeks now, I'm fairly satisfied.
The first thing to note is, the actual carbohydrate load is lower than the 30ish grams the nutritional information box seems to indicate. Mostly you can attribute that to the inclusion of fiber (3-5 grams depending on the flavour of an 85g bar) and sugar alcohols. I'm a pretty big proponent of getting enough fiber in your diet, I find a lot of people, especially those on low-carb diets dont. Fiber is technically a carboydrate, but what makes it fiber is the fact it's eseentially non digestable, so it doesn't really enter the bloodstream the way a sugar or complex carb does. The other one, sugar alcohols, I'm not a real big fan of. They taste similar to sucrose, so usually their presence is there to mask the inclusion of artificial sweetners. Again, they typically don't digest totally, so they don't hit your bloodstream the way most carbs do, however, BECAUSE they don't digest totally, they can lead to diarrhea and flatulence. I haven't had this problem yet, but, usually that's an indicator of too much intake. So, they aren't that carby, but there's an asterisk you'll have to consider.
Second thing, there is a considerable soy protein content. Biological Value (BV) is a measure of how readily the protein can be absorbed and used by the body. Soy protein isolate rates around a 75, whereas Whey protein isolate rates 100 (highest) and whole soy beans are about a 95. So some of that protein may not be the really high quality stuff you want and expect. Also consider, a lot of the nuts in these bars are soy nuts, in place of peanuts or almonds, even in the bars that are "peanut" or "almond" flavoured. For example, the picture on the Almond Fudge Brownie flavour's packaging, it REALLY looks like almonds inside the bar, but I believe those are all (or nearly all) soy nuts. Some misleading(ish) advertising there. Soy is also one of the most allergenic foods, next to peanuts, so if you're sensitive to either, avoid these bars.
They're also pretty fatty. Not much more to say about that, if you're concerned about fat, these are not for you.
All of that said, they taste GREAT. A lot of the bars I've tried tasted so bad I'd just wind up sneaking off for a cheeseburger when I got hungry at work rather than eating a bar I'd already bought and paid for.
For me the flavour makes them worth it, but if you're sensitive at all to Soy, Peanuts or Sugar Alcohols, avoid them, and if you're on a demanding nutritional plan, these are probably incompatible. Consider your needs before you buy them, but if you're like me and are able to sacrifice some effectiveness for a bar that's a lot more palatable, I think they're a good choice.

• May 12, 2009

Wow! If you could go ahead and review the rest of the protein bars on here that would be awesome.

Other Prices: