Hyper Gro Reviews

By: iSatori

Overall
Overall
Thanks to iSatori for sending it out!

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improved Recovery
  • Tasted Great
  • Easy To Take
  • Could Be Cost Prohibitive
  • Caused Consistent Gas
When iSatori introduced Bio-Gro back in 2013 it was immediately met with fantastic reviews and accolades speaking to its ability to improve recovery. Its price at launch and off-label dosing protocols that doubled and tripled the recommended doses made it somewhat financially prohibitive for the average user. Several reviews at the time looked forward at the possibility of Bio-Gro being an additive to products in the future which may remove the cost prohibitive component. That day has now come with iSatori doing just that with the introduction of new products that have Bio-Gro as an active ingredient. Today we’ll be looking at one of those, Hyper-GRO, iSatori’s “Clean Bulking / Lean Mass Gainer”.

Profile Overview

Every one scoop serving is 66 grams in the Chocolate flavor I had. There are approximately 16 servings in each 2.33lb container.

HyperGRO’s nutrition information and ingredient list pulled right off the chocolate flavored version is as follows:

Calories: 240
Total Fat: 4g
Total Carbohydrate: 24g
Dietary Fiber: 2g
Sugars: 1g
Protein: 25g

The above is comprised of:
“Advanced Muscle-Building Complex” 5.75g
Creatine Monohydrate: 2,500mg
Bio-Gro Bio-Active Peptides: 1,500mg
Betaine Anhydrous: 1,250mg
Creatine HCL: 500mg

And finally:
“Other Ingredients”
5-Phase Instantized Protein Blend (Beef Protine Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein, Egg Albumin), Clean Muscle-Infusing Carbohydrate Complex (Highly Branched Starch (Amylopectin), Cluster Dextrin, Potato Starch), Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate, Mono & Diglycerides, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tri-Calcium Phosphate, Tocopherols), Cocoa processed with alkali, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Acesulfame Potassium, Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking Agent), Surcralose, Soy Lecithin, Enzyme Complex (Protease, Lactase).

Solid ingredient profile. Some people see the silicon dioxide as a major turn off but it is what it is. It’s been used as an anticaking agent for so long in so much it doesn’t phase me.
Personally I like the protein blend and the carb blend as I tend to respond well to the ingredients these contain.

The label recommends the following dosing schedule:
Mix one serving with 10-12oz of water (or favorite liquid). Take one serving during the day and one serving following your workout. On non-training days, take two servings throughout the day.

Following the above schedule, you’ll getting a whopping (approximately) 8 days from each container. This was far too financially rich for my pocket so I went with a single post workout serving. I only took HyperGRO on workout days, anytime from immediately after to 45mins after my workout.

The powder inside the container didn’t smell pleasant when first opened. As I got through the container it began to take on more of a synthetic chocolate smell which you’d expect from a chocolate flavored powder.
When mixed in a shaker bottle (blender bottle with spring ball blender), it mixed reasonably well and would produce a fair amount of foam. Occasionally there would be the dried powder stuck at the mouth of the bottle but there were never any real issues. I typically used anywhere from 10-20oz of water when mixing.
Once mixed, it tasted great regardless of the amount of water I used. This was something I really looked forward to drinking. It was a nice, smooth, creamy chocolate flavor that didn’t sit heavy in my stomach at all (more to come on this).

Effectiveness: 8.5/10

HyperGRO definitely worked well for me with respect to recovery. It provides a noticeable (shortened) improvement in DOMS and allows me to get more workouts in. In my experience of using recovery products, HyperGRO is close to the original BioRythm AfterGlow formula. Close, but still not quite up to par with AfterGlow from my perspective. AfterGlow provided me with the most dramatic improvement of any recovery product I’ve taken. To be fair, I would not be at all surprised that by following the recommended dosing schedule on the label HyperGRO would prove to be a comparable if not superior product. However, a one month supply of HyperGRO using the recommended dosing schedule is going to run you about $128. AfterGlow is no bargain either by any stretch but I can get a 4lb container for $70 that will last me about 6 weeks. Bio-Gro on its own can now be purchased for very reasonable money for either a 60 or 120 serving container. Bio-Gro’s servings are listed at 1.5 grams which is the same in a single serving of HyperGRO. I mention these various options because I think it’s important from a consumer standpoint to try and determine where we can all get the most bang for our buck. I’ll touch further on the value of HyperGRO below and as I’m sure you can tell, I struggle with it a bit.

When I trialed Bio-Gro, I never noticed much in the way of improved recovery but I also didn’t stretch the servings beyond what was recommended on the label. I certainly experienced better recovery with HyperGRO and feel that it lends credence to the possibility that Bio-Gro works synergistically with protein and ultimately (hopefully!) muscle protein synthesis (MPS).

Something I experienced with HyperGRO that I did not have with Bio-Gro was issues with gas. I can unequivocally say that it was due to HyperGRP. This may fall into the TMI category, but how things took effect were incredibly consistent. A couple hours after consuming a serving I would get a slight feeling of something in my stomach. Nothing horrible or too far out of the ordinary, just noticeable. Shortly thereafter I would get the feeling that there was some gas on deck. Again, nothing explosive or anything that would require you to be within steps of a restroom. Finally, when it was released, the density, depth, and thickness (for lack of a better term) of the odor was horrid. Whatever this converted into inside my body was not something you’d want to encounter in a back alley – or under the sheets for that matter. I need to apologize to my wife, kids and cats for a couple of episodes they became victims of. Be forewarned as this may happen to you too!

HyperGRO can consistently be found for $32 online (as of 2/2015). This is for the 16 serving container bringing each serving to $2. As mentioned above, if you choose to use HyperGRP per the label recommendations, it will run $4 per day and require 4 containers per month. That is a big chunk of change to swallow for something that truly is a supplement (meaning, it’s not designed as a meal replacement but a tool to augment your diet). Our monthly supplement budgets are finite and there are a number of items most of us like to ensure are in there before the ‘luxuries’.
On the other hand, HyperGRO is also quite inclusive. Two servings per day yields 50 grams of protein, 6 grams of creatine, 3 grams of Bio-Gro and 48 grams of Highly Branched carbs. Looking at it from this perspective, we could potentially NOT have to purchase additional protein powder, creatine, Bio-Gro and a carb supplement on top of HyperGRO. In that case, HyperGRO may be the go-to supplement and stand side by side with your multivitamin with most other items completely removed.
For me, I’m not sure I’m ready to give up on everything else and put all my faith into the HyperGRO basket. I do believe it may be a worthwhile experiment and for about $130 it can be accomplished over a one month period. If I end up doing this, there’s a good chance my wife and kids will disown me!
Due to the fact that HyperGRO is seemingly expensive at first blush but could quite possibly replace a number of other supplements in your monthly budget, I’m rating it square in the middle for value at a 5 out of 10.

Overall: 7.5/10

I liked HyperGRO. I thought it worked well for recovery purposes. I will use it again. Will I make it my go-to supplement along with a multivitamin? The jury is still out on that.
For any of you that responded well to Bio-Gro, you should definitely check this one out. It may ultimately end up saving you a fair amount of money on a monthly basis if you can use just this one product instead of adding Bio-Gro to your current supplement stack.

Thank you iSatori for continuing to allow the Expert Review team to evaluate some of your product offerings. I hope this helps you gain a better perspective of this product and assists in your decision to purchase.

• lava135

Very well done!

• Reinger
    February 21, 2015

I feel you on the gas Homie. My wife thought I may have died in my sleep one night. Room stank something horrid.

• Frankiemusc
    February 21, 2015

Honest review ....not surprised at the cost

• sdunlimited
    February 21, 2015

Thank you for the kind words Gentlemen.
    Reinger, we should set up a PTSD support group for our families

• chefneilde