Overall Score:   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #7 of 21 (better than 70%) in
Protein > Post-Workout Recovery Formulas

Hyper Gro is a Post-Workout Protein Supplement manufactured by iSatori. It is designed to feed the muscles with protein, carbs and amino acids immedaitely following a workout to assist in muscle recovery and growth.
COMPARE SIMILAR

Meuth

May 29, 2015

(Thanks to iSatori for sending it out!)
Thank you iSatori for participating in the ER program. I received both PreGro and HyperGro to run and log my experiences with. HyperGro is touted as a mass gainer that is a lean/clean bulking product. I had personally never tried BioGro so I was excited to get my hands on two products that had the Bio in it already. I had high hopes for these products as soon as I received them.

I have taken plenty of gainers in my time. Normally I never take the full daily suggested usage. It’s just too much. I half my gainers to make them last longer. Lately I’ve just been making my own at a fraction of the cost.

Packaging 10/10

I know some people don’t like the square containers but I personally do. I think they set the product apart and look better sitting on my counter. Once again, I also like the clear container. I like to be able to see what is left without opening the container too. It just has a clean and neat look to it. Another quick thing I noticed, the scooper is HUGE (64g).

Taste 5/10 Strawberry

I normally really like strawberry flavored protein but I must say, I finally got to where I could tolerate this one after about the 5th serving. The taste was not smooth at all. It wasn’t really a pleasant strawberry flavor and the aftertaste was horrid. It also left a film in my mouth that I just couldn’t get over. I chose most of the time to just kill this and get it over with. **The reviews for the chocolate had the taster rated higher but I did not have that one**

The smell of the product wasn’t too bad but it did have a little chemical smell to it. Overall, smelled like most other strawberry powders though. It did mix well. No clumping or grit that I noticed.

Profile 9.5/10

I won’t hash out the ingredients again as so many of these reviews have already done that. With 240 Cals, only 24g carb, and 25g of protein, 35g fat (1g saturated) this seems like a light gainer. Most of us are used to about double that in our gainers. This is setup at only one scoop though so take that into consideration.

The carbs are quality sources and only have 1g of sugar. So many sources of carbs in the “Clean Muscle-Infusing Carbohydrate Complex” that your body almost has to like a couple of them! Haha

Creatine mono is at 2.5g and HCL is .5g. I’ve always liked going with more than one source of creatine so this works well for me.

This profile looks very promising. One small complaint I have is the label on the front. It shows the nutritional value for 2 scoops which is the daily recommended usage. This is a little misleading if you’re one of those people that don’t pay attention to the label on the back showing the difference between 1 scoop and 2. I just know that some people out there can’t make the connection and do simple math. Just my warning to people reading this, pay attention to both sides of the containers and don’t think you are getting that in each scoop.

Effectiveness 7/10

I’ll talk about this in two phases because that is how I took it. Since I got both Pre and Hyper at the same time, I wanted to try and see the difference taking them as standalones and then as a stack. I started a couple weeks with just the Pre to see how my body reacted to that. Then I added the Hyper in. I only used 1 scoop post workout to make the container last longer. Taking the Pre by itself, I noticed no difference in recovery from a workout. Once I added the Hyper in post workout, I couldn’t get sore. It was night and day difference. I had some pretty intense workouts during this time and never felt sore at all when they were stacked.

Then I ran out of the Pre and went with just Hyper post workout. The soreness returned to my surprise. It seems that the combination of the two kept the soreness at bay but didn’t stop it when they were used alone.

I can’t really say that I saw any major gains on this product as far as weight goes. This was only one container and using one scoop a day wasn’t the recommended amount but using 2 scoops a day would have only lasted for 8 days so what would I have seen in that time?

Value 5/10

I know this product has high quality ingredients and you should pay a premium for that but let’s break it down. $32 before shipping right now (5/2015). If you take 1 scoop a day that’s $2 a day. Simple math says that taking the recommended 2 scoops a day is $4 a day! Yes, this is a quality product but when does value outweigh quality?

Overall 6.5/10

This product really helped my recovery when used with PreGro. It is labeled as a clean gainer and the pictures on the container show some guys that have really changed their bodies in a major way. Do I think this product helped them get to that point? Possibly. Do I think they took just one container of it to get to that point? Nope. Based on the changes, they took quite some time to get there and at the price of this product, they would have shelled out some major coin taking this every day. A 4 day training week would make this $64/month if you just took it the 16 days you trained. If you take it every day as suggested, $120 a month.

This is a quality product but at the current price, I cannot suggest it unless you can find it on sale. Hopefully the price will come down eventually but I say stick with a homemade gainer and buy the BioGro by itself and add it in. It is not worth it to me. This is a supplement, to supplement your normal food intake. Is it worth that much to you? If I found a sale where it was about $20 a tub, I would stock up on some.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improved Recovery
  • Easy To Take
  • Mixes Well
  • Great Profile
  • Square Container
  • Bad Aftertaste
  • Tasted Awful
  • Could Be Cost Prohibitive
  • Left Film In Mouth
Blade410
  March 28, 2015

(Thanks to iSatori for sending it out!)
Up for review today is Isatori's HyperGro. This is a relatively new product from a market leading company. A big thanks to Isatori for providing this product to review.

Ingredients 9.75: HyperGro is a post workout designer product which provides high-quality ingredients at industry validated dosages. Some of the more notable ingredients are a time released protein blend, branched dextrin, creatine, betaine and last but not least BioGro. As you can see with the list of ingredients you are receiving high-quality ingredients all in the same tub. For a complete listing of the ingredient profile, refer to another ER's review.

Dosing: One scoop post workout

Effectiveness 9.25: This may be the single best post workout product on the market today. The combination of superior protein and carbohydrate sources coupled with creatine, BioGro and others make for a highly effective product. Overall muscle soreness was significantly reduced while taking this product and I was able to crack through a plateau. My belief is that the combination of all of these ingredients provided a great benefit while taken together.

Taste 8: Rich chocolate was the flavor I tested. It was good but I have had better chocolate flavors. The consistency was fairly thick especially when mixed with almond or coconut milk.

Value 8.5: This is where some people will find fault with a product. At approximately $36 it is expensive but you need to examine all of the ingredients you get. I know I know only 16 servings per tub, but you get all of the previously mentioned ingredients which are high quality as well as paying for ease of use in a single tub. Overall supplement prices have been steadily increasing so this price doesn't scare me too much.

Conclusion 9: Overall this may be one of the best of products that have come out in a long time. It is a little bit on the pricier side however when you evaluate all of the ingredients you receive along with the convenience of being in a single tub, it really is a great product.

Also another benchmark is to consider if I would ever purchase the product myself. Well that answer is yes and I already purchased three more tubs. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improved Recovery
  • Easy To Take
  • Great Profile
    mhseaver670

March 15, 2015

(Thanks to iSatori for sending it out!)
    Alright here we go with iSatori new Hyper Gro. What they call a Clean bulking, lean mass gainer. Again with all the hype around bio grow , the good and the bad, price vs effectiveness. Some of us wondered what would be next.
    Lets take a look at the epic take on what a gainer should be.

Profile
    Serving Size: 1 Scoop (64g)
    Servings Per Container: Approx. 16
    Sodium 360 mg 15%
    Advanced Muscle-Building Complex 5.75g
    Creatine Monohydrate 2,500mg
    Bio-Gro™ Bio-Active Peptides 1,500mg
    Extracted from Mico-Concentrated Colostrum, Yielding: Proline Rich Peptides, Growth Factors, Immunoglobulins, Lactoferrin, Fibroblast-GF
    Betaine Anhydrous 1,250mg
    Creatine HCL 500mg
    Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-cal/day diet
    Daily Value not established
    Other Ingredients:
    5-Phase Instantized Protein Blend (Beef Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein, Egg Albumin), Clean Muscle-Infusing Carbohydrate Complex (Highly Branched Starch [Amylopectin], Cluster Dextrin, Potato Starch), Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate, Mono- And Diglycerides, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tri-Calcium Phosphate, Tocopherols), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Acesulfame Potassium, Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking Agent), Sucralose, Soy Lecithin, Red Beet Root Powder (for Color), Enzyme Complex (Protease, Lactase).

As you can see this has only the top notch ingredients. Like the 5 phase instantized protein blend. Clean Muscle-Infusing Carbohydrate Matrix (only 2 grams of sugar), 11,500 mg of Hyper-Gro Advanced Muscle-Building Complex, 8,000 mg of Amino Acids (Naturally Occurring) , 2,500 mg of Betaine Anhydrous, 6,000 mg Creatine – 5,000 mg Monohydrate & 1,000 of Creatine HCL ( per two scoops ).

Taste 8
    I had the strawberry swirl. At first I did not like the taste at all, but it grew quickly on me. The smell was amazing but the taste was kinda like that old pink medicine the doctors would give you as a kid. But for some reason I grew to enjoy this. I liked this best and used it mostly with one scoop, two scoops seemed to make it a bit to thick for my liking.

Mixing 9
    For a huge scoop and the way bio grow alone did before I was wondering how this was going to do. But I was shocked when I seen how simple and easy it mixed fully. Awesome job on this area iSatori.

Effectiveness. 9.3
    This is not something you are going to notice right off the bat, but I will say my muscle soreness as been very short lived since using this . I seemed to really show some more muscle fullness, even the wife noticed this time. lol. I think this would be a great addition to someone who is really dialed in the macros and wanting to get the most out of their lean gains. Not much else can really be said about this area. I gained muscle, looked fuller and did not hate my Gainer. If you have ever taken one of the old school horror shop gainers of the old days , you will know what I mean.
    Also need to be noted. I never had stomach issues on this. Never felt hugely bloated or stuffed to the gills. Even at 2 scoops, Yes it was thick but never bothered my stomach.

Value 7.7
    Now this is most certainly not the cheapest stuff, but like the old saying again. You get what you pay for.
    16 serving tub for 30 bucks is pretty dang high. Although the tub did seem to last longer than that. For this one you simply need to weigh whether it is worth the money for the top notch profile and put the faith into bio grow. But some of us have found out that we all do not respond good to bio grow. I am one of the lucky ones and it works great for me.

Overall 8.7
    With this one I know the price is a bit high but I feel it is not as bad for what you are getting. I feel the way I took the last bit of my container will be the way I take my next tub ( which I just ordered ). I will take my two scoops daily to get the most out of the profile but I will use one scoop hyper gro and one scoop of my Isolate or egg protein , once in morning and once after workout. If you take a look at some of your supplement stacks and see if you can drop something and use this instead I think the price is not as bad to deal with.
    Overall it worked great for me. I will use this again.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Improved Recovery
    • Tasted Great
    • Easy To Take
    • Mixes Well
    • Expensive For The Average Consumer
    Reinger
      February 24, 2015

(Thanks to iSatori for sending it out!)
    A big thank you to iSatori for allowing the ER program to get their hands on their new product HyperGro. HyperGro is a lean mass gainer/clean bulking agent. As soon as this was released, there was a great surge of interest by myself and many others. Mainly due to the popularity and effectiveness of BioGro, which is a key element in this lean mass gainer. After BioGro was released, we all wanted to know what was to follow. With the release of PreGro and HyperGro, the wait is over, and iSatori has once again raised the level in the category in which they choose to rival. But as with BioGro, this highly effective product comes at a cost, and you simply need to determine if it is indeed worth the price.

Overall: 7.8

In many ways weight gainers, or now more properly called, mass gainers have received a bad rap. Rightfully so. The majority in the past have been filled with empty calories, sub par ingredients, fillers, and fats. We all would be better off simply mixing our own, and many of us had. But the ever evolving supplement industry has changed its approach a bit, and reputable companies have taken a better and smarter approach. Today consumers are a bit smarter, and have access to a plethora of knowledge and answers. Something I feel we here at SR have helped greatly with. It was time to change the game, and iSatori has. This product works with a clean quality profile and quality calories that count.

Profile: 9.5

Creatine Monohydrate: 2,500mg
    Bio-Gro Bio-Active Peptides: 1,500mg
    Betaine Anhydrous: 1,250mg
    Creatine HCL: 500mg
    5-Phase Instantized Protein Blend (Beef Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein, Egg Albumin), Clean Muscle-Infusing Carbohydrate Complex (Highly Branched Starch (Amylopectin), Cluster Dextrin, Potato Starch), Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate, Mono & Diglycerides, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tri-Calcium Phosphate, Tocopherols), Cocoa processed with alkali, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Acesulfame Potassium, Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking Agent), Surcralose, Soy Lecithin, Enzyme Complex (Protease, Lactase).

For the most part, the profile speaks for itself. What stands out the most is the Carbohydrate complex which will make or break a mass gainer. Clean and sugar free, HyperGro is on point. This wont bog you down or get you bloated, this will fuel your muscles and with the aid of BioGro and creatine, restore your muscles and greatly improve recovery. Quality protein, quality carbohydrates, and quality calories. That's where a gainer should be at its strengths, and iSatori simply nailed.

Effectiveness: 8.5

Due to the dosing requirements, this run was short lived, but effective. When used as per label, this will last you just about 16 days. Within those 16 days, I had geared my training program to much higher volume sessions, which lasted longer, and required many more reps and sets than I had been doing months prior. Usually this leaves me fatigued and a bit sore, especially at first. The use of HyperGro relieved the DOMs and left me nearly fully recovered for the next day. With this product their was no need for me to add additional protein or creatine through supplementation, this covered both aspects had had a dramatic impact on my readiness to perform the following day. I did not gain any notable weight in this time period, but I used this product to go slightly above my maintenance of my macro count. If you are looking to gain, I would add this purely as a surplus. You wont find a much cleaner way of getting protein and calories than with this. With prolonged use you are certain to gain mass and weight if you are on point with your macros. But from a recovery stand point, this was even better than the effects of BioGro alone, and the best recovery aid that I have ever experienced. I never felt bloated or weighed down, this processed nicely, with no bathroom issue. The only side effect was some noticeable potent gas, a by product of processing all those calories and carbs.

Taste/Mix ability: 9

Another draw back in gainers or dense calorie protein products can be the ability to mix and even consume. HyperGro mixes smooth and with ease. Little to no clumps, smooth and nor grit or sediment. The flavor, chocolate, rivals the better chocolate proteins out there. There is a slight after taste which I quickly got used to. This goes down smooth and enjoyable. Mix with 12oz of water, or even low fat milk, and it is quite pleasant.
    No blender needed, just toss it in your shaker cup and have at it.

Value 6.8

The most difficult part to review. This product is expensive, plain and simple. Found anywhere from $32-40, at a 16 day supply is quite costly. Now I firmly believe that you get what you pay for. I would rather pay a higher price for higher quality, but tat the rate in which this is to be consumed, is it a affordable? The value will greatly depend upon your needs. I did not have to supplement with creatine or protein in addition to this, something that should be factored in for those who regularly do. If you are a competitive power lifter, bodybuilder, or athlete the price may be worth it to you. In my world, I currently can't realistically have this in my pantry at all times. I may spring for it before this next hockey season, or buy a few tubs for a nice winter bulk, but I simply can't justify purchasing this at the current price on a regular basis. If this comes down a bit, or comes at a special sale rate, I highly recommend giving this a try. This product works and works well, and you get what you pay for. You simply need to determine whether it is worth it for you.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Improved Recovery
    • Tasted Great
    • Mixes Well
    • Caused Consistent Gas
    • Expensive For The Average Consumer
    sdunlimited

February 21, 2015

(Thanks to iSatori for sending it out!)
    When iSatori introduced Bio-Gro back in 2013 it was immediately met with fantastic reviews and accolades speaking to its ability to improve recovery. Its price at launch and off-label dosing protocols that doubled and tripled the recommended doses made it somewhat financially prohibitive for the average user. Several reviews at the time looked forward at the possibility of Bio-Gro being an additive to products in the future which may remove the cost prohibitive component. That day has now come with iSatori doing just that with the introduction of new products that have Bio-Gro as an active ingredient. Today we’ll be looking at one of those, Hyper-GRO, iSatori’s “Clean Bulking / Lean Mass Gainer”.

Profile Overview

Every one scoop serving is 66 grams in the Chocolate flavor I had. There are approximately 16 servings in each 2.33lb container.

HyperGRO’s nutrition information and ingredient list pulled right off the chocolate flavored version is as follows:

Calories: 240
    Total Fat: 4g
    Total Carbohydrate: 24g
    Dietary Fiber: 2g
    Sugars: 1g
    Protein: 25g

The above is comprised of:
    “Advanced Muscle-Building Complex” 5.75g
    Creatine Monohydrate: 2,500mg
    Bio-Gro Bio-Active Peptides: 1,500mg
    Betaine Anhydrous: 1,250mg
    Creatine HCL: 500mg

And finally:
    “Other Ingredients”
    5-Phase Instantized Protein Blend (Beef Protine Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Micellar Casein, Egg Albumin), Clean Muscle-Infusing Carbohydrate Complex (Highly Branched Starch (Amylopectin), Cluster Dextrin, Potato Starch), Creamer (Sunflower Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Caseinate, Mono & Diglycerides, Dipotassium Phosphate, Tri-Calcium Phosphate, Tocopherols), Cocoa processed with alkali, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Salt, Acesulfame Potassium, Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking Agent), Surcralose, Soy Lecithin, Enzyme Complex (Protease, Lactase).

Solid ingredient profile. Some people see the silicon dioxide as a major turn off but it is what it is. It’s been used as an anticaking agent for so long in so much it doesn’t phase me.
    Personally I like the protein blend and the carb blend as I tend to respond well to the ingredients these contain.

The label recommends the following dosing schedule:
    Mix one serving with 10-12oz of water (or favorite liquid). Take one serving during the day and one serving following your workout. On non-training days, take two servings throughout the day.

Following the above schedule, you’ll getting a whopping (approximately) 8 days from each container. This was far too financially rich for my pocket so I went with a single post workout serving. I only took HyperGRO on workout days, anytime from immediately after to 45mins after my workout.

The powder inside the container didn’t smell pleasant when first opened. As I got through the container it began to take on more of a synthetic chocolate smell which you’d expect from a chocolate flavored powder.
    When mixed in a shaker bottle (blender bottle with spring ball blender), it mixed reasonably well and would produce a fair amount of foam. Occasionally there would be the dried powder stuck at the mouth of the bottle but there were never any real issues. I typically used anywhere from 10-20oz of water when mixing.
    Once mixed, it tasted great regardless of the amount of water I used. This was something I really looked forward to drinking. It was a nice, smooth, creamy chocolate flavor that didn’t sit heavy in my stomach at all (more to come on this).

Effectiveness: 8.5/10

HyperGRO definitely worked well for me with respect to recovery. It provides a noticeable (shortened) improvement in DOMS and allows me to get more workouts in. In my experience of using recovery products, HyperGRO is close to the original BioRythm AfterGlow formula. Close, but still not quite up to par with AfterGlow from my perspective. AfterGlow provided me with the most dramatic improvement of any recovery product I’ve taken. To be fair, I would not be at all surprised that by following the recommended dosing schedule on the label HyperGRO would prove to be a comparable if not superior product. However, a one month supply of HyperGRO using the recommended dosing schedule is going to run you about $128. AfterGlow is no bargain either by any stretch but I can get a 4lb container for $70 that will last me about 6 weeks. Bio-Gro on its own can now be purchased for very reasonable money for either a 60 or 120 serving container. Bio-Gro’s servings are listed at 1.5 grams which is the same in a single serving of HyperGRO. I mention these various options because I think it’s important from a consumer standpoint to try and determine where we can all get the most bang for our buck. I’ll touch further on the value of HyperGRO below and as I’m sure you can tell, I struggle with it a bit.

When I trialed Bio-Gro, I never noticed much in the way of improved recovery but I also didn’t stretch the servings beyond what was recommended on the label. I certainly experienced better recovery with HyperGRO and feel that it lends credence to the possibility that Bio-Gro works synergistically with protein and ultimately (hopefully!) muscle protein synthesis (MPS).

Something I experienced with HyperGRO that I did not have with Bio-Gro was issues with gas. I can unequivocally say that it was due to HyperGRP. This may fall into the TMI category, but how things took effect were incredibly consistent. A couple hours after consuming a serving I would get a slight feeling of something in my stomach. Nothing horrible or too far out of the ordinary, just noticeable. Shortly thereafter I would get the feeling that there was some gas on deck. Again, nothing explosive or anything that would require you to be within steps of a restroom. Finally, when it was released, the density, depth, and thickness (for lack of a better term) of the odor was horrid. Whatever this converted into inside my body was not something you’d want to encounter in a back alley – or under the sheets for that matter. I need to apologize to my wife, kids and cats for a couple of episodes they became victims of. Be forewarned as this may happen to you too!

HyperGRO can consistently be found for $32 online (as of 2/2015). This is for the 16 serving container bringing each serving to $2. As mentioned above, if you choose to use HyperGRP per the label recommendations, it will run $4 per day and require 4 containers per month. That is a big chunk of change to swallow for something that truly is a supplement (meaning, it’s not designed as a meal replacement but a tool to augment your diet). Our monthly supplement budgets are finite and there are a number of items most of us like to ensure are in there before the ‘luxuries’.
    On the other hand, HyperGRO is also quite inclusive. Two servings per day yields 50 grams of protein, 6 grams of creatine, 3 grams of Bio-Gro and 48 grams of Highly Branched carbs. Looking at it from this perspective, we could potentially NOT have to purchase additional protein powder, creatine, Bio-Gro and a carb supplement on top of HyperGRO. In that case, HyperGRO may be the go-to supplement and stand side by side with your multivitamin with most other items completely removed.
    For me, I’m not sure I’m ready to give up on everything else and put all my faith into the HyperGRO basket. I do believe it may be a worthwhile experiment and for about $130 it can be accomplished over a one month period. If I end up doing this, there’s a good chance my wife and kids will disown me!
    Due to the fact that HyperGRO is seemingly expensive at first blush but could quite possibly replace a number of other supplements in your monthly budget, I’m rating it square in the middle for value at a 5 out of 10.

Overall: 7.5/10

I liked HyperGRO. I thought it worked well for recovery purposes. I will use it again. Will I make it my go-to supplement along with a multivitamin? The jury is still out on that.
    For any of you that responded well to Bio-Gro, you should definitely check this one out. It may ultimately end up saving you a fair amount of money on a monthly basis if you can use just this one product instead of adding Bio-Gro to your current supplement stack.

Thank you iSatori for continuing to allow the Expert Review team to evaluate some of your product offerings. I hope this helps you gain a better perspective of this product and assists in your decision to purchase.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Improved Recovery
    • Tasted Great
    • Easy To Take
    • Could Be Cost Prohibitive
    • Caused Consistent Gas