PROTEIN SYNERGY 5 Reviews

By: International Protein

Protein > Blended Protein
PROTEIN SYNERGY 5 is a Blended Protein Powder manufactured by International Protein. It contains a blend of different types of protein and will promote lean muscle mass and fat loss.

Overall
Overall
6.7
4.7
  January 25, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • 5 Different Protein Sources
  • Aids Recovery
  • Taste Great
  • Not Enough Servings
What's up SR! I would like to thank International Protein and the Trooper programs for the opportunity to give Protein Synergy 5 a run. Many times, we forget that slow and fast absorbing proteins help speed up the recovery process from a killer workout. Back in the days, I used Nitro 24 from ON, which had 10 different protein sources; I enjoyed due to keeping my body in an anabolic state for a longer period. When Protein Synergy 5 came up for the troopers, I jumped on the opportunity to run a blended protein product.

Protein Synergy 5 comes with 33 grams made up of the following protein sources:

Whey Protein Concentrate
Whey Protein Isolate
Calcium Caseinate
Micellar Casein
Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate
Egg Albumen

Protein Synergy 5 contains fast absorbing and slow digesting sources of protein. I would have like to know how much of each of the sources we get on one scoop. In the pass, typically the first protein listed on a profile contains the most grams. Therefore, the Concentrate protein while be the higher concentration, whereas the egg albumen will contain the least.

Taste - I received a bag of the Cookies and Creams, very tasty

Mix - I had an issue with this one, maybe it was the batch; no matter how many ways I blended, mix, or shake, I would always have residue at the bottom of the cup. Keep in mind; I have one of those crazy Ninja blenders, whose motor can power a hut.

Dosing - I used Protein Synergy 5 as a breakfast shake on days where the night before I hit the gym. Only having 22 servings to play with, I wanted to use it as effective as possible.

As we know, protein supplements are one of those products that can be hard to gauge, unless you put your body in a situation where the additional consumption of protein is needed.

I noticed two things while on Protein Synergy 5, one was that I was fuller in the morning for a longer period. Normally by 830am, I want to eat a horse, since I workout the night before. I was full to about 1030am, I do get up every morning around 530am, unless I am going to do a morning workout, which I would get up around 415am. In addition, I did find some reduction of DOMS and I am sure, that if I had taken two servings a day, my recovery would have been more noticeable.

Protein Synergy 5 lost me on the value, yes, I understand it comes the great land down under; however, it is hard to justify a protein with only 22 to 23 servings for almost $60.00!

Side Effects

Conclusion

Protein Synergy 5 is a good blended protein product, has good quality ingredients, and it is effective on how a protein supplement who performed. However, what keeps Protein Synergy 5 out of our collection of supplements is the price; it is sad, considering Protein Synergy 5 works. I would like to thank International Protein again for the opportunity.

January 3, 2018

• Mixes Easily
  • Awkward Scoop
  • Not Enough Servings

Yours truly is back with another International Protein review. This time around, it's Protein Synergy 5, and it's just as the name suggests; 5 proteins blended together working synergistically to create the perfect anabolic and recovery environment for your body. Thanks again to IP for supporting the TROOPS.

Here's what's packed into each bag of Protein Synergy 5.
Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Casein (Milk Protein Isolate), Hydrolysed Whey Protein Isolate (Whey Peptides), Egg Albumen, Natural Flavors, Sweetener (Sucralose), Emulsifier (Soy Lecithin).

I usually tend to shy away from protein blends, especially when whey protein concentrate and calcium caseinate are in the mix; this is because I'm extremely lactose intolerant. However, the label claims that Protein Synergy 5 contains less than a gram of lactose (.8 grams) per serving.

Each serving is 160 calories, 2 grams of fat 3 grams of carbs, and 33 grams of protein.

I hoped to get strawberry flavor, but instead received vanilla. I was a little disappointed because vanilla, although a basic flavor, can taste crappy when not done correctly. Fortunately, PS5's vanilla flavor actually tastes like vanilla when mixed in almond milk, and like vanilla light when mixed with water. Mixing was no problem; just mix a scoop into almond milk or water, and shake for 10-15 seconds. The Blender Ball wasn't needed, and there were no clumps left behind.

The label recommends that you take 40 grams. Since no measurement was listed on the scoop, I actually had to measure it on a scale the first time to determine exactly how much 40 grams were. Turns out that it was about a scoop and a third. I wish the measurements were clearly listed on the bag (1 scoop = x grams). Another issue I have with IP is their awkwardly shaped scoops. Instead of having traditionally shaped round scoops, IP uses oval scoops for all their products. This can actually be quite messy when using a narrow-mouthed shaker bottle.

It's protein...yaga, yada, yada. I did experience better recovery between workouts, and I had minimal bloating.

TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE! For 22.7 servings, the lowest price I could find was $52 on jet.com. Elsewhere, Protein Synergy 5 ranged from 55-60 dollars. I can't in my right mind see myself paying up to 60 bucks for a protein blend in a 2 pound bag. This seems to be an issue with all of IP's proteins; their prices are just not justified.

Side Effects

Mild gas, but nothing else.

Conclusion

Don't get me wrong; I really like International Protein's products, but they cost too much! For what IP asks for 2 pounds of protein, there are plenty of other 5 pound/60 serving alternatives that are more widely available. Even if I were rolling in an endless supply of 100 dollar bills, I still would look elsewhere.
  • Vanilla: 8/10

Overall
Overall
8.9
9.1
5.9
  December 26, 2017

• 5 Different Protein Sources

Thank you to the people at SR for giving me a chance to try some products and give it a review. This is my third review for protein from international protein. I wanted to try what this company had to offer and was able to get 3 of the 4 protein powders available from SR.

If you've ever used international protein, you will find that all their protein shakes are loaded with good ingredients. I will give it a break down below.

Total fat 2 grams
Protein 33 g
Carbohydrates 3mg
Calcium 220 mg
Sodium 110 mg
Potassium 230 mg.

International Protein breaks down all the amino acids inside the protein powder, which is nice. I will list the ones in there but not all the milligrams of each one. All of the Internation Protein powders I tried list all of this amino acids and amounts in them. Isoleucine, Lysine, Methionine, Tryptophan, Valine, Histidine, Alanine, Threonine, Leucine, Glycine, Phenylalanine, Serine, Tyrosine, Glutamine, Cysteine, Arginine, Aspartic Acid, and Proline.

This product is what they claim a protein synergy 5 which is 5 different proteins together. I have never tried all 5 together in one mix. They list the protein synergy 5 as positive nitrogen balance of hydrolyzed whey protein isolate, whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, egg white albumen, and micellar casein. It also has sweetener as well as soy. I do not always break down the protein in the powders but since this product has all 5 mixed together, I find it necessary. Each protein has its own benefits, but each protein also may not fit your diet. Hydrolyzed isolate is whey protein that contains water to help absorb into the body easier. Whey protein isolate will remove the fat and lactose from the protein. Whey protein concentrate has a low-level of fat and cholesterol but is higher in carbohydrates. Egg white is the outside part of the egg which is the white part and the yoke removed. Casein is found in the curd of milk and slowly absorbed by the body. I do not want to break down the benefits and which protein you should use because that is a forum discussion that would take a long time to discuss. I just want to list what each one is so those that are new to protein get a basic understanding.

I understand the purpose of this product and what International Protein is trying to do. In theory, good idea. The only problem I see is that all 5 of these proteins together seem to cancel each other out so you are getting a protein pot. I know this is a forum topic, I just wanted to list my thoughts.

I was able to get this one in strawberry which I am not a big fan of strawberry flavoring but that is a small detail. For me, it tasted like a typical strawberry protein mix. This product mixed well with any milk or water-based products. I was able to shake and stir with no issues. I do sometimes pre-mix my protein for later in the day and this one did not stay mixed and would need re-shaken. The ingredients say that 1 1/3 scoop would give you 33 g of protein. The tub is a Ziploc bag so I found it hard to scoop but that is a minor issue. The only thing I would change with this is one scoop big enough to get the 1 1/3 into just 1 scoop. I did not run any problems with mixability, taste, or dosing.

As with most protein products, hard to always check the effectiveness because not something that is measurable. As far as it goes with recovery and feeling full, I was able to get good results. I take a scoop before a workout and a scoop after a workout. I did not get any problems along the way and felt this was an effective protein mix. The Protein Synergy 5 was as good or better than most that are out there on the market.

Little hard to find online. I went to the international protein website and it listed all the products but I still struggled to find it for purchase there. I was able to find a 2-pound tube on Amazon for $50. I did find some other websites that had it as high as five $75. At the $50 for the 2-pound bag is a little high for me. The cost is about a $1.50 per scoop which is higher than my normal $1.00 per scoop. For the money and the value, I find this high and that is why I rank it low.

Side Effects

No side effects

Conclusion

I am giving this a high rating because the mixability and taste were good. I also thought the ingredients were excellent. This is one of the better proteins that I have had. They have several options to choose from for flavors. The cost was high so that gives it a lower ranking. The idea for the 5 proteins together is good but not for the ones with a specific diet. Good product and idea but high price.
  • Strawberry : 8/10

December 14, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • 5 Different Protein Sources
  • Aids Recovery
  • Taste Great

I want to thank International Protein for participating in the SR TROOP Program. This is my second of three reviews that I'm doing for them. I'm going to be reviewing Protein Synergy 5, and as you may guess there are 5 different sources of protein. Protein is the main staple in my supplement stack and I'm also on the lookout for something new. However lately I've been using more and more blended proteins as I found them to be more effective for me.

The ingredient profile is fully transparent and features a good amount of protein 33g. Per serving (40g) the basic profile includes: 160 Calories w/ 2g Fat, 3g Carbohydrates, 220mg Calcium, 110mg Sodium, 230mg Potassium, 33g protein. Also noted is a list of 18 or so Essential/Non-Essential Amino Acids per serving.

There are 5 different sources of protein:
Hydrolysed Whey Protein Isolate: Rapidly Digested - immediate
Whey Protein Isolate: Rapidly Digested
Whey Protein Concentrate: Slower Digestion
Egg White Albumen: Slowly Digested - up to 3-4 hours
Micellar Casein: Slowly Digested - up to 7 hours

Taste- For the review I received the Chocolate Truffle flavor, you really can't go to wrong with chocolate. I only mixed it with water and it was satisfying to say the least. Overall I'd give it an 8/10.

Mixability- No issues what-so-ever in regards to mixability.

Dosing- I only used one scoop since there is only a precise 22.7 servings in the bag. For the most part I had it after my first training session in the morning since there are slower digesting proteins. The scooper is in a rectangular shape and if you don't pay attention you may miss your shaker cup :/

It can be hard to judge the effectiveness of a protein powder however I like to judge on two things: Recovery & Digestion. In terms of recovery I did notice a significant difference when it came to Doms/Soreness. This is one of the better protein powders for recovery that I've used in a long time. As for digestion I didn't have any bloating or stomach issues as I do sometimes using a milk derived protein. Another area this hit was with my macros, I'm following a flexible macro diet and this was an easy way to hit my protein numbers.

Once again like my last review of Amino Recovery, Protein Synergy 5 is priced high. For a 22.7 serving bag (We'll say 23) your paying around $55 on the International Protein Website. Your paying around $2.39 per serving, now I don't mind paying up for higher quality supplements but this is a deal breaker. You can find much better deals for blended protein powders with more servings.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion I was thrilled with Protein Synergy 5 noticing a difference with my recovery following training. However the big downside is the price, the only way I'd be willing to pay their price was if the serving size was significantly higher. I do recommend giving Protein Synergy 5 a try when there is a sale or bogo.
  • Chocolate Truffle: 8/10

December 9, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Aids Recovery
  • 5 Different Protein Sources
  • Taste Great

A special thanks to International Protein for their participation here on SR.com. Today, I discuss my experience with their protein supplement Synergy 5. Protein supplements.....for many of us, protein products were probably the first ever thing to enter our supplement regimens as we began to evolve into the fitness enthusiasts we are today. There are more than one can even begin to count, so there isn't much reason not to have one in your regimen. Usually, the options involve an individual's personal preference of protein sources such as traditional whey, egg, soy, casein, or other plant derived base proteins like pea or hemp. Regardless, protein products can easily fit into anyone's supplement stockpile of all fitness goals.

As the name indicates, Synergy 5 is a blend protein product containing protein of 5 different forms. These include whey concentrate, whey isolate hydrolysed whey isolate, egg white albumin, and micellar casein. Considering all these protein forms have their own unique characteristics in terms of absorption, digestion rates, and amino acid bioavailability, you're essentially taking a protein supplement that combines the best of multiple protein worlds.

Each scoop provides 33g of protein as source blended from all of the aforementioned forms. Each serving also provides 160 calories, 2g of fat, 3g of carbs, 1g of sugar, and specific amount of various amino acids. Refer to the image for the specific amino acid quantities.

There is also no added sugars or use of aspartame.

I received the cookies and cream flavor and was satisfied quite well with it. I mixed it with water, milk, chocolate milk, and occassionally almond milk. It was surprisingly best tasting in chocolate milk, but was great overall in all liquids I used.

The mixability was good, but I do recommend using a blender if you wan to use milk as it can get a little thick.

I stuck to using only one scoop through most of my run with Synergy 5 and used two servings only twice. Since it had more slowly digesting proteins I preferred to take my serving sometime in the evening to keep me in a more anabolic state post workout. A few times I took the serving in the morning, but this was only on non-training days.

A side note, the scoop is rather odd looking. Instead of the traditional narrow handle with wide mouth circular scoop, it was a long thinner oval shaped scoop with a regular sized handle. This is not a complaint, just a side note.

Synergy 5's efficient and effective blend of 5 different proteins was an excellent way to meet my macro needs as well as aid my recovery.

My recovery was much improved thanks to each individual protein form's unique characteristics. I had reduced soreness, DOMS, and post workout lethargy/exhaustion. I also had less of a "next morning hangover" or in other words, the tired lagging feeling I often get from intensive evening workouts the day before. This is a much needed benefit especially since I've had to schedule my workouts in the later evenings as of late.

The extra helping of protein whether days or nights helped meet my macros efficiently. The idea of having 5 different forms of protein was a welcoming assurance since I am on a leaner bulk phase right now and combining the best of multiple protein worlds does help to keep dietary goals in the macro department in check. The fact that it wasn't adding unnecessary fats, sugars, or low quality carbs was also reassuring.

This where the value loses critical points. A 2 pound bag containing about 23 servings goes for about 51 dollars. Considering that you can purchase 5 lbs tubs of other protein supplements for either the same or even 5-15 dollars less, that is not at all the best of values. Now I do understand you are getting a blend of 5 different proteins and that being that the product is made internationally and that these factors do in fact equate to higher price. However, for 51 dollars for barely a month's worth (if run at only one serving a day) I would look to more value efficient options. If the price were to remain, I would expect a larger bag with much more servings.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Synergy 5 is a fantastic protein that has remarkable potential to help anyone reach their fitness goals. It will aid recovery and keep macro quotas in check. The only major discouraging factor is the price. If the price were to be lower or the bag bigger with more servings, the protein would be a more worth investment. I'd say, try to catch it on sales and look out for coupon deals.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!