International Protein AMINO CHARGED WPI Reviews

By: International Protein

Amino Acids > Recovery
International Protein AMINO CHARGED WPI is a Recovery Product manufactured by International Protein. It is an amino acid based product that is designed to assist in workout recovery.

December 29, 2017

• Awkward Scoop

Oh boo, another protein review. Guess again fellas and lady fellas! This protein has come to us straight from Australia! G'day mate, thanks for the protein, International Protein! Always down to try new protein, as most are. Let's see what this had to offer us from the land down under!

Ingredient profile is pretty simple. We have an whey protein isolate and whey peptides totaling 35g of protein. Only 35g of protein, oh it must be loaded with carbs and sugar. Wrong. This protein yields only 1g of carbs and 1g of sugar. Along with these incredible macros, it is loaded with aminos, hence why it's called Amino Charged WPI. In there you will find the fan favorites of L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, and L-Valine which you typically find in 3:1:1 BCAA products. So you're double dipping with protein and aminos here, pretty sweet.

Taste: I received the chocolate flavor. Pretty standard. Didn't exceed my expectations, but met them. It's chocolate, pretty hard to screw up.

Mixability: Mixed well in a blender bottle with water, didn't even need to use the wire whisk ball. One day I was in a rush and mixed it in a plastic cup with a spoon, even after settling it was a little clumpy with residue on the side of the cup. Not a huge deal, I still drank it, then just scooped out the small clumps and ate them. This protein was amino charged as well. I did notice there were always a few white specks on the side of the shaker, which I can only imagine are from the amino component of the protein and not the whey itself. Add a splash of water to your cup, swish it around and you're good to go.

Dosing: I dosed at 1 scoop post workout either straight up or in a blender with half a banana in it. On non-workout days I had a scoop mixed with water as a mid morning snack.

Protein are hard to comment effectiveness wise sometimes. First off, no digestive issues here. Secondly, it did what it was supposed to do, feed my muscles post workout or as a snack at some point in the day. I accredit my lack of soreness to the aminos in WPI, along with a BCAA as an intra-workout. Stacked together I received everything I needed to. Taking one bag of protein doesn't make you ripped, facts. It aided me in reaching my everyday goals, so it's good in my book.

Value, oh boy. For a 2lb bag of strawberry on Amazon, its $50.46, outrageous. However, you can pickup the banana flavor of Amazon for $12.99 (+3.99 shipping not eligible for Prime). I understand independent seller can be on Amazon, but com'on. Clearly I'm buying banana.

Side Effects

No side effects to note.

Conclusion

This was a solid product with an excellent ingredient profile. Definitely interested in another 2lb of this, preferably the $12.99 bag off of Amazon, now way I'm paying $50 for strawberry, let's be reasonable here. You get whey and an amino all in one. You're cutting costs and still getting everything you need, what could be better?!
  • Chocolate : 7/10

December 27, 2017

• Limited Availability

What is up guys? This is the 2nd International Protein product that I have been able to try and I was thoroughly impressed. I hope this company becomes more widely available in the USA. As always, I'd like to thank the people at SR and International Protein for making this review possible. Let's dive right in.

22.7 servings per container
Sugars: 1g
Lactose: 0.3g
Potassium: 410mg
Sodium: 100mg

Let me start off by saying that the macronutrients on this protein are some of the best that I've ever seen. 35 grams of protein and only 1 gram of carbs/sugars is straight bananas. That's more than enough protein to get your post workout fix in or to be used as a snack throughout the day to meet your daily protein goals. The main advertisement of this protein is that its "super charged" with added amino acids to further your recovery even faster than before. 1 serving contains 6.6g of Glutamine!( I'm a couple days away from posting my first review on a Glutamine supplement and I wasn't a believer in the acid until I felt the difference myself). That much glutamine built into your post workout shake is a magnificent addition to any stack. This also contains L-Arginine and 14 other amino acids. It doesn't contain any additives or fillers AND is a fat-free product. Both of these claims were in bold on the back of the package. The protein itself comes from a combination of whey protein isolate and whey peptides. This makes it easily digestible and digested quicker for an enhanced recovery and sparking up protein synthesis in the optimal time window after training.

Taste: Surprisingly very good! I received the Cookies and Cream flavor and for a product that only contains one gram of sugar, I was happily surprised to find a potent prevalent taste. This is one of the better tasting powders that I have used.

Mixibility: Because its 40g of powder it does take a good shake for 15-30 seconds to really get it mixed up. Other than that there were no other major issues.

Dosage:1 scoop for 1 serving of 35g of protein. Doesn't get any easier than that,

This protein not only influenced my ability to build muscle post workout with an effective serving of protein and amino acids but believe it or not it actually affected my DOMs as well. The 6.6g of Glutamine did affect my muscle soreness in a positive way. If you are not already using a Glutamine product then this may decrease your DOMs even more than if you were already supplementing the product. My strength/ muscle mass has increased while taking this product however, I can't attribute all of my gains to this product because I am also supplementing BCAAs. I do credit a lot of my success to this product though.

You can currently get the Banana flavor for $17.91 + $3.99 shipping on amazon.com. (Only 6 left in stock as of right now). This comes out to 96 cents per serving when shipping is factored into the price. That's not awful at all especially for the quality of ingredients that you're getting.

Side Effects

NONE, I had no stomach issues whatsoever.

Conclusion

This is a GREAT product that I would absolutely get again. The combination of 35g of protein with no fat and only 1g of carbs is almost unbeatable. It can fit into any nutrition plan and can lay the ground work for some big time gains

December 13, 2017

• Convenient Package
  • Limited Availability
  • So-So Mixability
  • Awkward Scoop

So, this is my second review of an International Protein product. The first one was Iso-Cuts, an innovative Whey Protein Isolate with a great ingredient profile and a ridiculous price tag. This time around, it's Amino Charged WPI, a WPI enchanced with BCAAs and EAAs to assist with recovery. Thanks again to IP for supporting the TROOP Program.

Amino Charged WPI contains a whey protein isolate blend of micro-filtered WPI and hydrolyzed whey peptides, totaling 35 grams per 40 gram scoop. This yields an 87.5 protein percentage, an excellent amount for any protein supplement. In addition, there's added L-Glutamine, L-Arginine, and 14 other amino acids.

I was given the banana flavor, and to be totally honest, it tasted more like lemon vanilla cake frosting, especially when mixed in almond milk. This is not a bad thing, though. the taste was light and satisfying without being overly sweet. Maybe there was a hint of banana in the aftertaste, but I couldn't detect it. Amino Charge tasted pretty good in water and damn good when mixed with almond milk.

As far as mixability goes, Amino Charged has a lot fluffier texture than other WPIs, as such, I would not recommend stirring it; you'll be there all day trying to smooth out the clumps. However, when shaken in a blender bottle, it mixed perfectly in about 20 seconds.

The label says that you can take 2-3 servings a day, but at only 22.7 servings per bag, this can be quite expensive.

Amino Charge and pretty much every other IP protein supplement is conveniently inconvenient. It's convenient because the 2 lb size doesn't come in a tub; it comes in a bag with a resealable zip-loc. It's inconvenient because it comes with a weird shaped oval scoop. Scooping out the protein and putting it in a blender or blender bottle was fairly easy, but sports bottles and shaker cups require a lot of patience because you're guaranteed to have about an ounce or so of protein on the counter or floor, or desk at work.

Maybe I felt a placebo effect, but I truly believe that the added amino acids helped my recovery and made my muscles look fuller. i didn't have any stomach problems when taking this, which is a good thing, because I'm very lactose intolerant.

The only place in the US that I could find Amino Charged WPI was on Amazon for 18 dollars plus 4 dollars shipping. Australian websites carry it for 38 US dollars. If you choose the Amazon route, you're looking at about $79 cents per serving--not bad, and a downright bargain compared to Iso-Cuts. Choosing to order it from Australia will be considerably more; about $1.76 per serving. This is a no-brainer here. I'm curious to see what its price point will be once more US sites pick it up.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Amino Charged WPI is a great tasting and unique protein from one of the most respected brands in Australia. I think IP should squeeze 8-10 more servings in each 2 lb bag to make it a true bargain. As it stands though, I'll be ordering some from Amazon and keeping my eyes open for its availability here on other US websites.
  • Banana: 9/10

December 8, 2017

• A Little High

Thank you to the people at International Protein for letting me try your product. I am always looking to try different protein and this is one that is not made in the USA. The International Protein product is brought in from Australia.

The container has 31 total servings per package. The serving size is 1 1/3 scoop or 40g.

Per 40g serving
Fat 0.3 g
Saturated Fat 0.1 g
Potassium 406 mg
Sodium 100 mg

The ingredients are Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolysed Whey Protein Isolate (Whey Peptides), L-Glutamine, and L-Arginine. It does have Sweetener (Sucralose) and Soy Lecithin. The container does not break down the exact amounts of the proteins so it would be nice to know how much hydrolyzed. The amino listed is long and International Protein says the mix contains the largest amount of amino. The amino includes Isoleucine, Lysine, Methionine, Tryptophan, Valine, Histidine, Alanine, Threonine, Leucine, Glycine, Phenylalanine, Serine, Tyrosine, Glutamine, Cysteine, and Proline. This protein mix has a lot of good ingredients and I find no faults with the ingredients.

I got the chocolate flavor but other flavors are available in banana, strawberry, cookies and cream, Turkish delight, and vanilla. For me, it tasted like a typical chocolate protein mix. This product mixed well with any milk-based products or water. I was able to shake and stir with no issues. The ingredients say that one serving is 1 1/3 scoop that would give you 33g of protein. The protein mix is in a Ziploc bag so I found it hard to scoop but that is a minor issue. I did not have any problems with mixability, taste, or dosing. The only thing I would change is to have the scoop be the full serving instead of getting an extra scoop of 1/3.

As with most protein products, hard to do the effectiveness because not something that is always measurable. With recovery, I was able to get good results. I take a scoop before a workout and a scoop after a workout. Using the Amino Charged PWI before and after the work out did not give me any problems. I was able to get the results I look for from my protein mix. The effectiveness was as good or better than the other protein shakes out there on the market.

A little hard to find online until I searched it as Amino Charged PWI. I was able to find it on the normal supplement websites, Amazon, and the International Protein website. I was able to find the 2-pound bag on Amazon for $50 (there is a banana flavored 2lb bag for $22). Other websites had it as high as $75. The $22 bag of 2 lbs is good. Since most listings are at $50 for 2lbs bag, I will use that to configure cost. The cost for a $50 bag with 31 servings works out to $1.61 per serving. This amount is higher than my normal $1-$1.25 per serving. The question here is value, not just cost. This protein mix has a high amount of amino so how much is that worth to you. I usually take my amino in pill form so I did enjoy it being in my protein mix. I usually spend $15 for a month worth of amino pills so I can get my normal protein and amino at about $1 to $1.25 per serving so the Amino Charged PWI is higher than my normal amount. Given the ingredients and the flavor, I would say that it has a good value but not a great value. Value wise, in the middle for me.

Side Effects

No side effects

Conclusion

I'm giving this a higher rating because the mixability and taste was good. I also thought the ingredients were excellent. This is one of the better proteins that I have had. They have several other protein options to choose from as well as flavors. This is one that I will definitely use in the future and would recommend.
  • Chocolate : 9/10