IdealShake Meal Replacement Reviews

By: IdealShape

Overall
Overall
Thanks to IdealShape for sending it out!
  September 1, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Curbs Cravings
  • Satisfying
  • Artificial Taste
  • Not Enough Protein

37-year-old in body fat reduction mode. Reduction had been going pretty well until I felt like I hit a wall. I saw this and decided to see what it could do to help restart my fat loss efforts.

This has a laundry list of ingredients compared to most other powders I take; however, this is not purely just a protein supplement. It is advertised as a meal replacement shake. I feel that at just one serving it is a little on the low side for calories and macros as a meal replacement shake for me. I do see where this would help someone who consistently overeats and does not watch portion sizes.

IdealShape uses a blend of Whey Protein Concentrate and Whey Protein Isolate which I feel is a good combination for a meal replacement shake. Get some of the protein to absorb quickly, the concentrate, and some that absorbs a little slower, the isolate, which in theory, should help keep you "fuller" longer.

The one thing that stuck out to me about these ingredients was the Ideal Shape Hunger Blocker Blend. This is a blend of VitaFiber and Potato Protein Extract. This is supposed to help block hunger for up to 3 hours. I was curious to see if it worked and met the claims. More on that later.
Everything else seems to be a list of vitamins, minerals and fillers.

I requested Chocolate Peanut Butter or Mocha flavor and received the CPB. This contains 36g per serving, giving you 110 calories. In that 36 grams you get 2.5g of fat, 10g of carbs and 12 g of protein, which leaves 11.5g for fillers, flavorings and whatnot. The CPB tasted artificial to me. It was a little sweet but not overly sweet. Once it hit your lips, you got a taste of the chocolate and it finished with the peanut butter. The peanut butter did not taste natural to me. It seemed similar to the peanut butter in a peanut butter cup but a little more on the artificial side.

IdealShape says to use this in place of 1-2 meals so 1-2 servings daily depending on your needs and goals. You are then instructed to drink 8 oz of water following the shake. This will last 15-30 days depending on if you use 1 or 2 servings. I used 1 shake a day mainly during the week. I did not replace a meal with this but added it to my post workout protein to help curb my afternoon snacking and cravings.

This mixed well for the most part. I tend to be a quick shaker (5-10 seconds) so I expect some lumps from that. There was some lumpiness but they were small and I had no issues with powder pockets in my shake so nothing I did not mind swallowing. I only used this in water and it mixed consistently every time. I would think it would mix better if you shook it longer or used a blender but I never tried either of those two.

From the 'About' Section on the TROOP dashboard, "IdealShake Meal Replacement is a Meal Replacement manufactured by IdealShape. It is a protein based supplement meant to provide additional fats and carbohydrates with the purpose of providing a quick and convenient meal. It can promote lean muscle mass gain and aid in fat loss. It is not to be used as a sole source of nutrition."

I picked this up knowing that I was not going to use this as a meal replacement. I was already in a reduced calorie state and was not really looking to lower it below what it was. I picked this up due to the hunger blocker and to hopefully curb my afternoon cravings. For the first week, I did use this by itself usually post workout around 2 p.m. As a stand-alone, it worked decently. For most of the week my cravings would be curbed and I would not be hungry till my next feeding which is usually around 4p.m. There were a few times even when I used this with additional protein powder that it did not seem to work for very long. I would usually be hungry about an hour later.

Where this really shined for me was when I added another scoop of protein powder to it. This kept me satisfied usually to the point that I would not be hungry or forget to eat my next meal until closer to 5 p.m. when I realized I was starting to get hungry. Either way this did what I wanted it to and help me not snack between my post workout shake and my afternoon meal 1 - 2 hours later. I feel that my will power is a little lower in the afternoon due to my workout kicking up my metabolism. We usually get a lot of junk food in the afternoon from vendors and staff at my office so this helped me keep away from all that stuff.

I would highly recommend this for someone looking to lose some weight without having to count calories or drastically change their diets. Just replace 1-2 of your snacks or meals throughout the day and I believe you will achieve some results. If you are still feeling hungry after using a shake, I would recommend adding a scoop of protein to it. That seemed to really help me stay satisfied and curb my cravings. All around a good meal replacement that performs how it is marketed.

I have to keep in mind that this is a meal replacement shake and not a straight protein powder which means it should not hold the same value as a protein powder would. I was able to find this for $39.99 at Amazon and $44.99 at IdealShape. IdealShape is currently running a Labor Day BOGO 50% which makes this more attractive. At these prices, you are talking about $1.33 - $1.50 a serving for an effective meal replacement powder. Even if you supplement with a scoop of protein like I did then you are talking $1.00 more per serving which is not outrageous. Looking around at other meal replacement powders this is actually cheaper than most; however, you are also getting less protein than most others out there but if you supplement with a protein then you have an extremely effective meal replacement powder. The hunger blocker definitely sets this apart and it works!

Side Effects