PRICES

Overall
  June 17, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:

I'm a competing powerlifter making a comeback from a back strain that I got in April. Right now, my back is feeling great, and I'm ready to start killing it. Right now, I'm doing a 6 day upper/lower comprised of two squat focused days, two bench focused days, one deadlift focused day for lower body and one focused overhead press day.

Material Profile

These straps are made of leather and have NeoTekpadding for comfort. I'm not entirely sure what NeoTek is, but it's used in brake pads for various kinds of vehicles. There's a velcro strap that goes around your wrist, so that you can keep them snug (and adjust the size).

I have found these to be very effective in my training. If I can get 6 reps when I'm doing rows without my straps, I might get 7 or 8 straps with straps, and over time, those extra reps will add up. I can build a bigger, stronger back by using lifting grips instead being stubborn and forcing myself to only use my hands. I also find that I can get a better MMC with the grips because I don't have to concentrate on holding the barbell or the dumbbell.

I have to admit, I used to look down on straps. I thought they were for people who couldn't be bothered to actually develop grip strength. What I have learned, however, is that straps are great for getting in additional training volume, which is really the driving force for hypertrophy. I care more about getting bigger and stronger than I do about being a "purist." Lifting grips are just one tool in the box, along with my belt, my wraps, my sleeves, everything else that's in my overcrowded gym bag. Use them wisely and they will only help.

The grips are much easier to use than your typical lifting straps. You just velcro them around your wrist and then loop them around the bar. For some reason, I could never use regular straps properly. I would end up making the bar fatter and if anything, my training volume would decrease.

The grips are double sided. One side has extra padding that makes the bar more comfortable to hold. If you don't want the padding, you just turn the straps around. I seldom use the padding, only when my hands are torn up, but it's nice to have that as an option.

I am a powerlifter, so I can't just do everything with straps. I never use them when I'm doing deadlifts because I don't want them to change my technique (you can pull faster with straps than you can with your hands), but I will use them on barbell rows, dumbbell rows, romanian deadlifts, etc. I haven't found that my grip strength has suffered since I started using them, but if this is a concern for you, then I would add in some grip work to the end of your workouts

My grips cost me $30. They're basically knock off Versa Gripps which can be $55. Other products can be anywhere from $20 (these ones looked rather shabby) to $60, so I think the value is pretty reasonable. I've had mine for a year and they're still in pretty good condition.

Side Effects

Is getting too swole a side effect?

Conclusion

I think these were definitely a good buy. I've seen a lot of progress in my rows and rdls, and I'm glad that my grip strength is no longer the limiting factor for my pulling work. I am actually training the intended muscles to exhaustion now. They are a tool though, not a crutch. Use them wisely.