7.1

(Better than 14% in Pre-Workout > Stimulant)

PRICES
(30 sv) - [$1.33/sv]

Gym Rats
Rat Fever is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Gym Rats. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

5.8
Thanks to Gym Rats for sending it out!
  November 13, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Clean Ingredients
  • Decreased Fatigue
  • Fully Disclosed
  • Needs More Citrulline
  • Very Bitter

Before I start I want to thank Gym Rats for giving me the opportunity to review Rat Fever. What intrigued me about claiming Rat Fever was its ingredient profile and single serving tubes. Each test tube is clear and your able to see each individual ingredient as its poured in one-by-one. You can tell the differences by the different colors and textures. I like to know exactly what I'm taking so I thought it was a pretty cool idea at first.

Claims:
- No Crash
- No Blends
- No "Guestimation"

The ingredient profile is fully transparent and features six main ingredients. For the most part each ingredient is dosed solidly however there is one exception (I'll go into that).

450mg Dicaffeine Malate: A combination of Caffeine & Malic Acid (malate) - according to research it contains roughly around 73% caffeine. This brings the total to around 328.5mg of caffeine. This differs from anyhydrous because its longer lasting.

4G Beta-Alanine: Endurance & Strength booster

500mg Agmatine Sulfate: Helps sustain elevated nitric oxide levels with arginase.

3000mg Citrulline Malate: Nitric Oxide booster

50mg Theacrine: Chemically structured like caffeine and is considered a stimulant

3000mg Creatine Monohydrate: Really no explanation needed

The label is a little misleading with real caffeine content and I noticed tons of spelling errors on the ingredient profile. Spell check is your best friend.

Taste: I received the Strawberry Margarita flavor which is one of three flavors available. This didn't even come close to tasting like that, it was one of the worst tasting pre-workouts (possibly the worst) I've ever had. Straight up awful and bitter - I had to have a chaser handy/ready.

Mixability: First and foremost its a workout shaking the powder out of the test tubes. I almost broke a few tubes and tried every Mcgyver trick to release the powder. Because of this there was some clumping and settling.

Dosing: Took one tube with 8-12oz of water about 30 min before training.

Overall Rat Fever worked like i thought it would - clean. Although it wasn't long the energy was clean and there was no crash. I do feel that my strength output was increased from this product. Although I didn't set any PRs I was able to hit more reps/sets which in hindsight made me stronger. Endurance was also heightened but it wasn't as effective as the strength & energy aspects. Only things I didn't feel much of were focus & pumps. I thought 3g of Citrulline Malate/500 Agmatine Sulfate would be enough but I was wrong.

Currently the only place you can find Rat Fever is on the Gym Rats website for around $39. Each box comes with 30 tubes (servings) so individual tube will cost around $1.30. The price is a bit high considering a few things so I'd like to see it around $1 a serving. It does have uniqueness and convenience if training at an outside gym so I can see some people paying up.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion, Rat Fever is a very unique pre-workout product that is meant to combat prop blends. However the taste needs to be changed and I'd like to see the price point down to around $1 a serving. Besides for that I can see people buying this for its convenience & uniqueness. Thanks again to Gym Rats for participating in the SR TROOP Program.
  • Strawberry Margarita: 1/10

5.5
Thanks to Gym Rats for sending it out!
  November 11, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Disclosed
  • Clean Ingredients
  • Decreased Fatigue
  • Very Bitter
  • Needs More Citrulline

Snup SR! First I would like to thank Gym Rats for sending Rat Fever out to try, and the SR TROOP's program for making the connection possible. This pre workout means well by making sure you have, and can literally see, the right dosages for the ingredients listed. Everything pans out good, but the low availability makes the product cost a bit much for now.

Nice clean ingredient profile, which is always good to see with properly dosed ingredients. First you get 450mg of caffeine to keep the energy going for about 45 mins for me personally. Next is 4g's of beta alanine to bring on the skin tingles and store within your muscles, thus reducing muscle fatigue from happening too soon. This is 2g's less than the daily amount, so leaves room for you to space it out and not have crazy itchy skin.

Next is 3g's of citrulline malate, which is half the amount most would want for sports enhancement. I'm guessing it's this low because the taste would be much more bitter if there were 6g's of citrulline, but regardless still low for a pre workout.

Next is 500mg of agmatine sulfate, which could be another reason the citrulline is low so these two have a synergetic impact. However, if this were the case then there should be 1g of agmatine sulfate to make up for the 3g loss of citrulline.

3g of creatine monohydrate is about half the dosage for me, which is fine since I can just get the rest elsewhere. However, again given the products price and minimal approach to ingredients, I'd say more creatine or maybe another ingredient. Lastly is 50mg of theacrine for focus. Overall a minimalist pre workout that I can see many seeking if they get the price down.

Okay, so this is a raw pre workout so it's a given that it'll be bitter, but for those who don't know it says so on the label as well. Taste is bitter and god awful. Man up and chug it down hahaha

Mixing is pretty good, a little bit of clumping if you don't shake the hell out of it. Another downside to raw ingredients.

One tube before each workout was good enough. Two a day would be a little overboard on all ingredients.

Truly is a nice clean pre workout. Felt no crashing effects or feelings of being sleepy as a lot of these new ingredients being used do to my body. Strength was good alongside the addition of the rest of the ingredients from other sources i.e. the creatine, beta alanine, and citrulline. Good endurance along with the strength and fatigue not occurring early on.

Downside is the clean ingredients without extra stims makes the pre workout only last about 40-50 mins. Wouldn't even say and hour for my body. But still this is from a person who normally use a stim heavy pre workout stacked with a pump supplement.

Value is where they need to work on this, but it's a given because the brand is still newer to the competition on pre workout. I understand the concept of getting the exact amount of ingredients per dose, and being able to see them in a neat looking test tube, but that isn't good enough to raise the price higher than some of these others.

I do see peeps wanting this product due to the clean ingredients and not having to worry about anything illegal to sports being within, so if the price goes down from $39.99 for 30 servings to just $30 then I see it as a fairly valued product. For that reason I recommend this supplement, but price needs work.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall a decent pre workout meant for this seeking a clean ingredient profile with correct dosages every serving. Just needs to get a bit cheaper for a better rating. Thanks again for sending this out Gym Rat.
  • Tequila Lime: 4/10