Mega Men Reviews

By: GNC

Health & Wellbeing > Multi-Vitamins
Mega Men is a Multi-Vitamin manufactured by GNC. It is designed to help provide the body with a wide array of micro nutrients that are vital for optimal health. It could be described as an 'insurance policy' to ensure that you're getting all of your vitamins and minerals but it is still crucial to eat a balanced diet.

Overall
Overall
  July 3, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Properly Dosed
  • Protects Immune System
  • Decent Extras
  • Effective Multi
  • 50% Bad Form Of Vitamin A

A Multi-vitamin that uses some cheap ingredients, but is properly dosed and contains all key vitamins plus more. The price is right, and it ranks up in the top multi-vitamins that I have used. Worth the money.

38 years old, recovering from total reconstruction surgery on my left ankle, but finally back in the gym! I saw that GNC's Mega Man was on the new and improved bounty program, and decided to give it a shot. In case you did not know, I love the bounty program. I have become a bit of a supplement brand snob, so its good to go back to the simpler and cheaper (in price) options to check out the effectiveness. This vitamin has been around as long as I can remember. I always keep a multi in my daily routine, as effective ones truly do prevent me from falling ill. Lets see if this made me a Mega Man or not.

Fully disclosed profile, except for the Fruit and Vegetable Blend which we will discuss. A lot of ingredients here, and none of the important vitamins were left out, nor under-dosed for my specific RDA (Male, 38 years old). There were some extras here, but as I usually do lets discuss the important vitamins I look for in a multi. Each dose is two tablets. Of note there is no Iron here if that is a concern.

Vitamin A - This is good for healthy eyes and general growth and development, including healthy teeth and skin. 3,000 IU per day for men is the RDA and here we get 5,000 IU. The forms you want to avoid here acetate, palmitate, performed Vitamin A, retinyl acetate, or retinyl palmitate. Those have toxicity issues and are cheap. Here we get 50% Beta Carotene (which is good) and 50% Retinyl Acetate (which is bad). So a ding here for a half cheap version of Vitamin A that may have some toxicity issues. The issues become when 100% of the bad form is used, so not a deal breaker or anything to be too concerned with, but a case of it could be better!

Vitamin B6/B12 - B6 aka Pyridoxine, is a major vitamin to have in your body daily. It aids in the functions of movement, memory, energy expenditure, and blood flow. 1.3mg daily for men ages 19-50 is the RDA, and here we get 50mg. B12 boosts your mood, energy level, memory, heart, skin, hair, digestion and more. This vitamin is so important for you, mainly getting you that energy boost, that you will see it sold a lot as a stand alone. RDA of 2.4mcg and here we have 50mcg. The B12 here is the cheaper and lower end version called cyanocobalamin, not a crisis as its fairly common to see in vitamins such as Opti-Men.

Vitamin C - Good for strengthening blood vessels and giving skin its elasticity, anti-oxidant function, and iron absorption. RDA for men is 60mg, and we get 300mg.

Vitamin D - Good for strong healthy bones, and as I said very important to me living in Washington State (not so much in the summer, but mostly winter) since it rains a ton and the sun only makes an appearance for a few months a year. RDA is 600IU and this gives a nice 1600IU per dose.

Vitamin E - Good for blood circulation and protection from free radicals. The maximum dose you want of this daily is 1,500 IU and here we get 30IU so you have wiggle room in your daily food intake. You want your Multi to say something along the lines of "mixed tocopherols and tocotrienols" as the form of Vitamin E, while avoiding the synthetic version of this which is called "d,l-alpha tocopherol." Mega Men uses D-Alpha Tocopheryl which is common and good to go, and yes its spelled Tocopherol or Tocopheryl.

Vitamin K - Good for blood coagulation. RDA when combining supplements and food is 182mcg for men, and this starts us off with 80mcg.

Folic Acid - This aids in cell renewal, as well as reducing the risk of birth defects for pregnant women. RDA is 400mcg for men over 13 years old, and this is dosed right at 400mcg.

Calcium - Good for healthy teeth and bones. We get 200mg here, RDA is between 1,000 - 2,500mg for men 19-50 years old. You can get more calcium in your diet by eating yogurt, cheese, milk, tofu, and black molasses.

Zinc - Good for immunity, growth and fertility. 11mg daily for men over 14 and here we get 25mg.

Chromium - Good for glucose function - making sure every cell in your body gets energy when needed. Its recommended you do not exceed 1,000mcg per day, and excessive doses may lead to stomach problems, low blood sugar, and can damage the liver, kidneys, nerves, and cause irregular heart rhythms. Pretty serious stuff! This is strictly talking about Chromium supplements, as Chromium in food will not hurt you no matter what the dosage, so this is a nice safe dose at 120mcg.

Magnesium - A mineral to help aid in your bone structure. The daily Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA) for elemental magnesium are: 19-30 years, 400 mg (men) and 310 mg (women); 31 years and older, 420 mg (men) and 320 mg (women). 100mg is the dose here, as you can get most of your magnesium through food. This is a common dosage.

Boron - RDA is .25 - 3.25mg. Boron aids in building muscle, increase test levels, and builds strong bones. While not essential, I like to have this included and here we have a nice 2mg dose.

Super Antioxidant Blend: Consists of 25mg alpa-lipoic acid, 2mg Lutemax 2020 Lutein, 1mg Lycopene, 500mcg Turmeric Root Extract, 400mcg Zeaxanthin, 50mcg Astaxanthin, and 10mcg Beta-Cryptoxanthin. Low doses for all, but a little added extra never hurt.

Fruit & Vegetable Blend (68.5mg): Way too many ingredients to list, but its a bit low in my opinion, as other multi's have close to 100mg of greens blends' in my experience.

Amino Acid Blend: 50mg of Arginine and 50mg Glutamine. Again, low doses here, and I have seen up to 1g of Aminos combined in a multi.

Brain Health Blend: Consists of 10mg Choline, 10mg Inositol, 4mg Silica, 2mg Boron, 1mg Grape Seed Extract, and 10mcg Vanadium. Decent ingredients in my eyes at a small dose to compliment the rest of your stack.

Overall the ingredient profile is not too bad. Its slightly above average and if they would bump up their Greens blend a bit, and get rid of that 50% Vitamin A toxic form, then this vitamin would be a contender with the top ones on this site like Opti Men. As it stands now it falls short ingredient and quality wise.

Taste: Pill form, no weird taste or smell.

Mixability: Pills were fairly small and were easy to swallow.

Dosing: I took 2 pills with breakfast daily. I had no issues with this nor did I find the need to seperate my pills throuhgout the day. 2 pills a day with food, easy enough.

So as we all know this is very hard to judge. I judge my multi-vitamins on if I got sick through the run and how I felt after taking them each day. I never once got sick, nor did I have even a sign of getting sick (for me its a sore throat at night) through the 45 days taking this. I took this a couple times with a good 30 minute gap without food, and this did not cause me a stomach ache or anything like that. Also the Riboflavin is not dosed in a huge way so I did not suffer from neon colored urine. All in all I enjoyed my run here, it performed fine for what a Multi should do. Obviously the extras were not enough for me to stop eating my greens and reds each day, but the added ingredients are decent in my eyes and not fillers as you see in some multi-vitamins. GNC took an interesting approach here, and I think did a fine job.

I picked this up from Rite-Aid Online for $14.99 plus S/H and tax which came out to $22.55 for a 45 day supply. That comes out to 50 cents a day which I think is pretty good. Right now if you google this Rite-Aid is selling it for $13.99 online, so the deal is slightly better. Of all the other Multi-Vitamins I have tried with value and effectiveness, only Opti-men beats this in my eyes. So I think here we have a good deal.

Side Effects

None, no stomach issues if you do not eat immediately and no weird colored pee.

Conclusion

In the end this is up in my Top 3 of Multi-Vitamins I have ever used and would use again in the future. This falls just below Opti-Men in my eyes, and this is based off the last 10 (11 counting this one) Multi's that I have reviewed here and actually paid attention to. My supplement brand snobbery has lessened, so GNC does have something going here. Perhaps I will branch out more and try out more things by them instead of automatically discounting them. I will definitely run this again in the future, and I do recommend it. Sure its not perfect, but no supplement truly is.

• Wis3guy
    July 3, 2018

Interesting, GNC does have some good stuff...... I liked the last protein I got from them as well.

• Clipper83
    July 4, 2018

I'd argue that the cyano is no where near as good as the methyl personally.

Thanks for the bounty review :)