Beyond Raw L-Leucine Reviews

By: GNC

Beyond Raw L-Leucine is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by GNC. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

Overall
Overall
3.5
2.0
(SR paid for product; GNC did not participate)
  April 1, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:

Many people supplement with BCAAs (leucine, isoleucine, and valine), but research suggests that either leucine on its own or a complete spectrum of EAAs are both more effective in terms of stimulating MPS.

When I saw Leucine in the troops program, I decided to give it a whirl. Thanks Clipper for donating it.

This is a single ingredient product, leucine. L-leucine is an essential amino acid (a BCAA specifically). It an activator of MTOR, i.e. the body uses it to build muscle.

Current research suggests that you should get 2.5-3g leucine per meal if your goal is hypertrophy.
    If your meal does not have enough leucine in it, you can either take supplemental leucine with your meal or up to 30 minutes before.

BCAAs are bitter, and leucine is no exception. This product is unflavored, which is a shame because it tastes awful. I tried covering the taste with flavor drops and with juice, but it was to no avail. I need a chaser to get through this stuff.

The mixability was pretty poor. When I added it to water, it would foam at the top and leave this weird precipitate. I shook it vigorously in a shaker, and the precipitate never dissolved.

I used the leucine at lunch, taking 3g 10-15 minutes before I ate.

I can't say how effective leucine supplementation was for me in terms of building muscle. One month is just too short of a time frame.

I can, though, say that the leucine was beneficial to my recovery.

I'm currently doing a high frequency training program, which makes soreness an important issue for me as I train the same movements multiple times a week and 2-3 days in a row. If I push too hard on my squats on Monday, then I won't be able to do my squats on Tuesday, etc.

With the leucine, I noticed reduced soreness after my workouts which made it possible to squat two days in a row, deadlift two days in a row, and bench three days in a row. I did experience some soreness, but it was not debilitating in any way. In the past, I have had hamstring doms so badly that I've had to nix my planned workout. I hate skipping workouts. To some extent, leucine seemed to guard against this.

GNC sells this product for $17/tub. This doesn't sound too bad, but each tub is only 90g. Other companies will sell you 500g leucine for $25. GNC is charging way too much.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I like the idea of supplementing with leucine, especially if it leads to long term muscle growth, but I can't recommend this product. It's just too expensive

• Zsteinf
      April 2, 2018

I just did a review on the same stuff but it was betaine. Same feeling as u.