Beyond Raw L-Citrulline Reviews

By: GNC

(Better than 28% in Pre-Workout > Pump)

Beyond Raw L-Citrulline is a Pump Product manufactured by GNC. It is meant to increase blood flow, muscle pumps and increase vascularity. It can be stacked with a stimulant based pre-workout for an added stimulant effect. This promotes an environment for increased muscle mass and fat loss.

Overall
Overall
6.7
6.8
6.4
(SR paid for product; GNC did not participate)
  May 11, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:

Citrulline without the malate! I definitely felt a difference using this as compared to when I used citrulline malate. I received this product as part of the trooper program, and it was a nice supplement to my supplement stack pre-workout. Not a bad product, but wasn't really a big difference maker.

I've been going to the gym 9 1/2 years now. I started off the skinniest weakest kid, and gained some nice size over the years. My workouts consist of lifting heavy weights starting with a compound movement for 5 sets of 5, then moving on to other free weight movements followed by some machines, then I'll end the workout with 10-15 minutes cardio. My goals in the gym are to not only build strength and mass, but to increase my endurance as well.

Pre-workout, I haven't been using a true pre-workout product for a while. My pre workout routine consist of drinking coffee, then before going to the gym mixing creatine hcl, beta alanine and now a citrulline product in Gatorade and water and drinking it prior to the gym. During my run with this product, this was the citrulline product I added with creatine hcl and beta alanine in my preworkout mix, previously I was mixing a citrulline malate product with the other 2.

L- Citrulline. (3G)

L-Citrulline is a non essential amino acid, that the body converts to L-arginine in the body. This helps increase nitric oxide levels in the body, and helps increase blood flow throughout your body. Citrulline is usually combined with malic acid (citrulline malate) as malate serves as an important component of the TCA cycle to provide additional benefits. I've used CM in the past, and in this case I'm using just Citrulline with this product.

Taste is unflavored, and in this case it truly was tasteless. When I used unflavored Citrulline Malate in the past that was unflavored, it tasted sour as the malate gave it that sour taste, but in this case it truly had no taste at all.

Mixability this product mixed pretty well, stirred it pretty good and had no issues there.

Dosing is 1 scoop for 3G. I usually took 1 full scoop for 3 grams, sometimes I used 1.5 scoops. I mixed this product with Creatine HCL and beta alanine pre-workout in Gatorade and water and drank it.

(1.5G HCL, 2-3G beta alanine)

This product was a nice addition to my preworkout stack, and at times when using it I did feel pretty good and strong in the gym, and had some nice lifts while using this product. Creatine HCL and Beta Alanine using just those 2 I had some nice workouts with, and adding this to the stack did help but it was a minimal addition. I feel my workouts still would have been good with the other 2 as well. So this product was a nice addition, but not a huge difference maker.

The 1 big thing I want to talk about here is the difference between this product, and when I used Citrulline malate prior. I was using citrulline malate 6G (1:1 ratio so still getting 3G citrulline either way). When I used citrulline malate it was a nice preworkout ingredient, but the big difference is how it affected my cardio. When I used citrulline malate, I was getting nice pumps in the gym, but when doing cardio at the end of my workout, I'd feel a bit sluggish. It's a hard feeling to explain but basically I felt like I was bloated and had the feeling to burp with some shortness of breath when doing cardio at the end of my workouts when I was using CM. This product, didn't give me that sluggish feeling when doing cadio, and helped me have better muscular energy for lifting. CM I felt did give me a better pump than this but made me sluggish and affected my cardio for the worse at times, this product didn't slow me down with cardio.

I received this as part of the trooper program, but it sells for $16.99 for 30 servings at GNC. I don't really feel $17 for just Citrulline is that good of a value. And in my personal opinion, Creatine and Beta alanine are more important to me and more effective to me, so out of the 3 ingredients I was using preworkout, if I can only use 2 and get rid of 1, this would be the 1 i'd drop. Creatine and Beta Alanine which to me are more of a difference maker BOTH sell for a better value than this product. So I don't feel $17 for just citrulline is that good of a deal. I gave $17 for 33 servings of CM a better rating on value, but that was for CM which you are getting more for the $17 there. This is just pure Citrulline, I don't feel $17 for just pure citrulline is a great value, atleast not for only 30 servings.

If it was $17 for more servings, or less money for the 30 servings that would be a better value.

Side Effects

None to report.

Conclusion

Nice addition to my preworkout ingredient stack, and can't go wrong using this product. Not the biggest difference maker, and although I did have some nice lifts while using this product, I can't say for sure I wouldn't of still hit those lifts had I not added this to my stack.

I don't feel $17 for 30 servings of this is as worth it and I feel you can do better when buying just this 1 ingredient. BB.com has 100 2G servings for the same price.

• royalapple
      2 weeks ago

I do like 3 scoops when I have citrulline in bulk. I love citrulline! Solid review.

• mjtuf1
      2 weeks ago

@royalapple - Thanks bro! for me at times I'd take 4.5 grams worth of citrulline with this product.. if I took it at 3 scoops though I would of ran through the product fast! lol

• royalapple
      2 weeks ago

Understood! I use up my amino products pretty quick as well

• htevans
      13 days ago

Nice review. I liked how you compared it to CM and gave an anecdotal example.

• mjtuf1