100% Pure Casein Protein Reviews

Overall

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Recovery
    I walked into a GNC a few weeks ago looking for a Casein powder for pre-bed. I was not looking to spend a lot, and this product was less than the other casein powders I was eyeing with a GNC sale going on.

Taste: I'd give it a 5/10. I got the vanilla flavor, hoping I would be mixing it in with frozen fruit, etc. I did not like the flavor at all (and it did not mix with fruit well). It wasn't over-powering, but it just was not very pleasant. After a week or so, I was more used to the taste and able to just get it down in water, but took some getting used to.

Mixability: 6/10. Being casein, it mixes VERY thick. I found that I could not put a scoop in a blender with even water and fruit and have it mix well. It did take a full glass of water and then more water to swish in the glass before getting all the powder from the sides of the glass. It always did have some lumps, which no one likes :(
    The only thing I could mix this with was plain water (combined with a less than desirable taste, by the time I finished the tub I was looking forward the trying a totally different casein product)

Value: 8/10. Like I stated above, this was very affordable. I went with a smaller tub and with a walk-in "silent" sale that GNC had, it was less money to get this tub AND get an annual GNC gold card, than going with the other brands I was checking out.

Effectiveness: 7/8. This is very hard to judge. I do know (by tracking macros) that I am hitting the 200g protein/day much more easily with the addition of a shake at bedtime. However; to say this product alone makes or breaks new muscle gains, I am not sure.

Overall: I am not sure I love the label saying "other ingredients: Protein Blend (Egg Albumen, Sweet Dairy Whey, Calcium Caseinate, Whey Protein Concentrate)..." I would possibly try a different flavor (chocolate) in the future, but would definitely like top try many other casein blends before I would go back to this one, even if it saves me money. There are other profiles that I think better suit what I am looking for in a casein protein, without some of those ingredients that make me furrow the brow.

• WarMachine

Great review Samazon!!

Personally I've always been a fan of Optimum Nutrition's Casein Protein during periods where casein is a necessity for me.

May want to consider giving that a try.

• bdstl
      January 16, 2014

Nice review. I agree with War that ON's casein is pretty good. I am probably one of the few people that like their blueberry flavor. I mix it a cup of milk and blend and it actually tastes like a blueberry muffin to me.

• TigerJT
      January 16, 2014

Nice review! Never have used a casein supp, so this is nice info!

• Clipper83
      January 16, 2014

If you take casein before bed, I'd suggest trying GNCs Re-Feed. Most underrated protein out there

• irondude
      January 16, 2014

@clipper Re Feed is an awesome protein, every time that is on sale or close dated I will buy it over any other casein protein

• Samazon
      January 16, 2014

Thanks for the recommendations! I definitely want to try ON's casein products, and will look into the re-feed (that's one I haven't yet considered).