Amino Reviews

Overall
Overall
  November 3, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Anti-Cramping
  • Great Hydration
  • Decent Recovery
  • Fruit Punch Is Not A Great Flavor
  • 2 Scoops To Be Effective

A BCAA/EAA intra workout product that does an average job at aiding in recovery. Very good at hydration, but its a bit steep of a price point unless you get this on sale.

39 years old and I lift 5 days a week, currently doing GZCL UHF 9 week. I have become a huge fan of the Ghost Lifestyle line of supplements in the last year, and decided to run the ones I had sitting in my closet. This was part of my mini Ghost stack. I always like to use any BCAA/EAA product with hydration during my workouts, as it works best for me when it comes to recovery and staying hydrated during my workouts. After trying Ghost BCAAs last year, I was curious how this one measured up.

As you would expect from Ghost, a fully disclosed label. In recent times it seems that companies are now hiding their dosing of BCAA/EAAs to advertise they have the secret combination. I am here to tell you that its all nonsense, and you should be confident enough in your products to fully disclose your simple BCAA and EAAs. Enough on that, lets break this down:

First of all you get 2g Carbs, 0g Sugar, 72mg Calcium, 55mg Sodium, and 210mg Potassium. Of note this contains Tree Nuts (coconut), so if you are allergic beware.

Instantized BCAA 2:1:1 (5g): This breaks down to 2500mg Leucine, 1250mg Isoleucine, and 1250mg Valine. This is your pretty standard dosing of BCAAs, but I do like that Ghost used Insantized BCAAs here. Leucine stimulates muscle protein synthesis and slows down muscle damage after workouts, Isoleucine creates glucose giving your body energy, and Valine promotes muscle protein synthesis and muscle tissue growth.

Ghost Amino Acids (3.5g) This nets you 1,000mg Citrulline, 850mg Lysine, 850mg Threonine, 500mg Phenylalanine, 100mg Histidine, 100mg Methionine, and 100mg Tryptophan. Citrulline is their to support circulatory health, Lysine helps build a healthy immune system, Phenylalanine converts into tyrosine which is needed to form important brain chemicals to regulate our metabolism, Histidine aids in your bodies response to substances, Methionine helps body to remove fat, and Tryptophan produces seratonin to influence emotions and mood. I am not real sure what Threonine does. Citrulline is dosed appropriately for an Amino product, and the rest I would assume so, as I really do not know proper doses for all of them.

Ghost Smart Hydration (1.9g) This breaks down to 1,000mg Taurine, 500mg Organic Raw Coconut Water Powder, 150mg Alpha-GPC, 100mg Potassium Citrate, 50mg 5-HTP, 50mg Sodium Gluconate, and 50mg Calcium Lactate Gluconate. All of these are here to support your hydration as the name would imply. This worked well in this department so the dosing is fine for me.

Not a bad profile overall, no real nonsense or fillers here. Everything here has its purpose.

Taste: I ordered the Fruit Punch flavor and did not enjoy it that much at all. No matter if I watered it down with 16oz of water, did 6-8oz of water, or used very cold water, the taste just was not that great to me. It had a hint of fruit punch but had some strange taste with it that is hard to describe. I was a little disappointed here as Ghost usually pumps out some amazing flavors.

Mixability: Some slight foaming when you shake it up, but it settles down very quickly. The big issue I had here is that it stained my shaker cups red, that was a pain to clean out by hand.

Dosing: I tried this one scoop Intra, but then had to move to one scoop intra and one scoop mid afternoon on training days. This was expected as my body likes to get around 10g of BCAAs during intense workouts. I took one scoop on rest days in the morning. The label basically states to take this as needed, whenever you want some hydration and recovery, so use this as needed and what is most effective for you.

This is always interesting to discuss because some people cannot tell the difference between Amino Acid products or even notice if it does anything for them. Me and Clipper were recently discussing this in my log, and Wis3guy nailed it, that the older you get, you need more recovery and at my age I can definitely tell a difference of products and when I take it or not. So you young people may not really even need Aminos in your life, but you will see a difference as you age. I started this at just one scoop a day during my workouts, and it did aid a bit in recovery, but I was still sore. So after a week I bumped it up to one scoop intra and one scoop mid-day on my training days. This did a good job at diminishing most of my DOMS, but they still existed, so it was not totally eliminated. I have had Amino products in the past that completely got rid of my muscle soreness, granted it may come down to which workout plan I am on as well. With 2 scoops though this did its job on an average level for me, nothing too outstanding.

Hydration wise, this did a great job. I felt hydrated throughout my workout and always had to take a pee break, which is a sign of being hydrated. To me this was the best part of the product for me.

This is where the product takes a bit of a hit. The best deal to find this is for $39.99 on Ghost's website, however if you use the code PRICEPLOW it knocks the price down to $32. For a 30 serving tub that comes out to $1.07 per dose. Since I required two doses that is $2.14 on training days which is not a great deal at all. Yes you are getting quality ingredients, but its just a bit too high for my liking. However, during the holidays Ghost often has specials, so be on the lookout for a good deal.

Side Effects

None outside of increased hydration and a stained shaker cup.

Conclusion

So an average BCAA/EAA product, that has some great hydration aspects to it, and a below average taste. I was a bit disappointed in this, as I have high expectations from Ghost as most of their supplements are of high quality and very effective for me. I was not sold on this, but I still recommend this as this may work better for others. I am glad I gave this a shot, and this is worth a try at least once to see how it works for you.
  • Fruit Punch: 4/10