Origin has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Energy Supplements > Other Energy Supplements

Origin Reviews

By: Genomyx

Origin is an Energy Supplement manufactured by Genomyx. It is designed to improve mental focus and energy.

Origin has been reported as discontinued.

Only 5 Reviews - Waiting for more trustworthy reviews

December 14, 2013

• Heavy Dyes
Origin is Genomyx's previous generation of preworkout which has been discontinued and replaced by Evol. There are still containers of Origin around the web so I hope this is is still a practical review.

Profile:
(per 2 scoops)
Citrulline - 3000mg
Trimethylglycine - 3000mg
Rhodiola Rosea - 500mg
Theanine - 200mg
Dicaffeine Malate - 340mg

I really enjoy this profile, very simple and to the point. They really let you know where they were trying to go with this preworkout instead of making it a "kitchen sink" formula. I'll break down the ingredients for poos and giggles.

Citrulline is an amino acid that supports Arginine levels in the body which in turn supports vasodilation and NO content in the blood stream.

Trimethylglycine(TMG/Betaine) is known to lower homocysteine levels in urine, and (with much less research/data) have a positive impact on muscle protein synthesis.

Rhodiola Rosea seems to have been shown to increase ATP levels aiding in endurance and also regulate hormone levels, although there isn't a whole lot of evidence to back these claims.

Theanine is another amino acid that is used to treat anxiety.

Dicaffeine Malate is caffeine combined with Malic acid. The Malic acid helps to enhance caffeine's effects on the body and lessen its unwanted side effects. Fun fact of the day: Dicaffeine Malate was originally used by Coca Cola as an alternative to cocaine.

Dosing:
I ranged from 1-2 scoops at a time, 30 min. preworkout. Majority of the tub was dosed at 1.75 scoops. I seemed to get the same results from 1.75 scoops as I did at 2 so I figured might as well make the tub last as long as possible. I added 3.2g of Beta Alanine for the last 2/3 or so of my tub.

Effectiveness: 8
Origin was primarily a stimulant for me rather than an all around preworkout. Despite it's Citrulline content, I didn't really get any extra pump aside from the standard workout pump. Luckily I don't particularly look for a pump in my preworkouts, they're more of a bonus to a good stim/endurance complex. For having such a high caffeine content, I was surprised how smooth and clean the stimulant feel was. I never felt like I was twacked out and the energy seemed to slowly build up over the course of 10 or 15 minutes. The Beta Alanine that I added really seemed to make this preworkout "pop" and completed it for me. On occasion I experienced some pretty intense tunnel vision-like focus, but it was too inconsistent to really claim a focus aspect for the product. I will note however that for a week or two the stimulant feel didn't last very long. It would last maybe 30 minutes into my workout and then leave me feeling exhausted and dragging for the other 45-60 minutes. Eventually it worked itself out and started performing well again. The only thing I can imagine was some settling occured.

Taste/Mixability: 7
I really enjoyed the cherry flavor that this had, but geeze louise was it strong. Needed practically 16-20oz to make the flavor not too overwhelming. Along with the heavy flavor came heavy dyes. It actually stained the bottom portion of my blender bottle. Mixed very well though.

Value: 8
Origin is selling for around $25 at M&S which I find to be a pretty good deal. Each container has 60 scoops which is 30 full servings. Less than a dollar a serving, which seems to be getting harder and harder to find for newer preworkouts.

Overall: 8
I thoroughly enjoyed Origin. I didn't get the same "feel good" effects that KevO and Frankie experienced but I did find it to be one of my favorite stimulant feels, aside from the 2 weeks of crashing mid-workout. If you're not looking for much other than a pick-me-up before your workout and don't want a hodgepodge of ingredients, I definitely recommend giving Origin a try before it is completely gone.

November 27, 2013

• Feeling Of Well Being
  • Lasting Energy
  • Enhanced Focus
  • No Pump
You are reading correctly, I rated this product a perfect 10 across the board, based on my experience.

This is not a typo or mistake, it's my honest opinion on this product. To date, this is, by far, the best pre-workout product I have used.

First off, I have to give a huge shout out to Kevo, that's right Kevo. His review put Origin on my radar and 4 or 5 tubs later, lost track, I feel inclined to share my experience with the product. I have never tried a Genomyx product before my first tub of Origin.

A History of Stims and I.........

I have bought more than my share of pre-workout formulas over the years. By no means am I a stim junkie, far from it in fact. 2 cups of regular coffee makes me jittery, so to some extent, I may be stim sensitive.

My pre-workout products have ranged from horrible (products that make me crash every time, regardless of serving size) to good and some great. Every once in a blue moon a product comes along that blows you away, for me, Genomyx Origin is that pre-workout product for me.

Anything over 150mg caffeine per serving, is pretty much dangerous territory for me. With several products above this caffeine threshold, I have experienced post-workout crashes, excessive urination, severe anxiety, irritability and jitters.

Profile 9/10:

It's not a prop blend, although I personally have no issues with prop blends, companies want to protect their formulas. Every one of the ingredients is listed on the label, with its respective dosage.

Kevo did a great job referencing a link for all the benefits of the ingredients.

When I saw the 340mg of caffeine ( DiCaffeine Malate) per 2 scoops, or one true serving, I got heart palpitations. How would I react at that dosing? Even at half a serving, that's more than 150mg's of caffeine for me....please read on below.

Dosing 9/10:

Easy enough, I started with 1 scoop and eventually worked my way up to 2 scoops, 25 min pwo with 6 oz of water.

Mixability 9/10:

No issues here, I stirred the product with a spoon each time. No residue at the bottom or sides of the glass.

Taste 8/10:

I am a tea drinker (green tea, black tea, other flavored teas etc) and am familiar with several other types of far-eastern teas. The flavor of the product is cherry bomb and I really enjoyed it!! It was like a cherry flavored tea.

Effectiveness 10/10:

That's right a perfect rating for a product that delivered for me, each and every time.

I started with one scoop and worked my way up to 2 scoops within 2 weeks. The focus and energy increased, with each additional serving amount.
The feeling with this product was amazing.

To ingest this at 4am, on a Monday morning, when I would wake up mad at the world for no apparent reason and walk into the gym at 430am, feeling like I was unstoppable, was surreal. It wasn't a jolt of energy, more like a gradual focused, driven determination, with very clean/very solid/very smooth energy. To put it in perspective, I got addicted to this product, it was that freaking awesome.

The enhanced mood lasted for several hours after the gym, so I actually walked into the office happy/very motivated, each time morning, which was a plus. I could go on and on, but I will stop here.

The only negative comment I can say about this product is that I didn't experience any enhanced pump effect with the product.

Value 10/10:

This goes for around $25 a tub. That is 2 scoops (a true 2 scoop serving) for 30 days. That is fantastic value, plain and simple.

Side Effects: None

Overall 10/10:

I cannot say enough great things about this product. It's #1 in my book, as far as pre-workout formulas are concerned.
I am not going to tell you to run out and buy this ASAP.

From what I understand it's being discontinued with their release of EVOL, but I will continue to buy and build my stash of this in my supplement pantry.

May 8, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Small Convient Packaging
  • Good Looking Label
  • No Increased Effects In Energy
  • Focus Or Strengths
I gave this product a try after reading a few reviews and people truly satisfied with this product and I have heard good things about this company. I was dissapointed with the taste and overall effectiveness of this product.

Price 7/10
I purchased this product from Lockout Supplements for $29.95. One bottle with two scoops last for 30 servings which I feel is a good cost/serving ratio. This would last me about two months on my work/gym schedule

Taste 3/10
Cherry Bomb Origin taste like cherry cough syrup, which I dislike. Too strong of a cherry flavor for my tastebuds

Mixability 7/10
The actual product mixes well with water with no residual left over. There are no clumps or foam. However the powder likes to float in the air while scooping it out of the container and when you clean your countertops the paper towel will be covered in a red fine powder. If your shaker bottle leaks or you spill some on your shirt you will have a red stain on your hands or clothing. Not good if you are drinking/shaking this product in your car while on your way to your gym or in the locker room.

Effectiveness 5/10
I felt nothing with the use of this product. No increase in energy or focus. I've tried it on an empty stomach, with food, protein and/or carbs. I've tried different timing also with no effect. I gave it a 5 because a few a my friends really enjoy this product but opinions will vary.

Overall 4/10
I give this a 4 beacuse the size of the bottle and packaging are the bright spot for me. Small bottle fits in your gymbag, cabinet or your locker at the gym. The packaging doesn't have any outrageous claims on it just the directions, warning and supplement facts, which I like. I just wasn't a fan of this product and I feel I gave it a fighting chance. Some products work well for others!

April 18, 2013

• Feeling Of Well Being
  • Lasting Energy
  • Endurance Increase
    Big thanks to Petey and Tommy for hooking this one up. Genomyx products typically go under the radar around here, however they have been in my arsenal for a couple of years now as I have used several of their products with some very solid results. Origin is no exception, I thoroughly enjoyed running through a tub of this and actually went out and bought a couple more tubs because of my great experience with it.

Profile: 9+/10

Origin Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 2 Scoops (10 grams)
    Servings per Container: 30

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    L-Citrulline 3,000 mg **
    Trimethylglycine (TMG) 3,000 mg **
    Rhodiola Rosea 500 mg **
    Theanine 200 mg **
    DiCaffeine Malate 340 mg **

Genomyx typically has no prop blends and cutting edge formulations and Origin fits that bill to a tee. Its a very simple and unique profile, but man did this stuff do the trick.
    The quantities of everything seem to be right on point. Initially I thought 340mgs of caffeine was way too much, but after using several servings found out that dicaffeine malate combined with the theanine and rhodiola made for the absolute smoothest energy I have ever experienced from a pwo.
    Here is a link to the description of the benefits of each ingredient in Origin:

Overall this was a very well thought out, yet simple profile and it worked like a charm.
    Two thumbs up from me.

I Fn love this product!
    I absolutely hate the feeling I get when Im overstimmed and initially I figured 340mgs of caffeine would have that effect on me, but boy was I wrong. The combo of ingredients in Origin made me feel incredible. The energy was plentiful and extremely smooth, and the focus was absolutely great. What really stood out to me was the awesome feeling of well being I had when I took Origin. Plain and simple, this stuff made me feel like a million bucks. I honestly cant compare it to any other pwo Ive tried, the feeling I got from Origin was just on a different level.
    You will not get a huge surge of energy from Origin, but man does it feel good and last a long, long time. I seriously had tons of energy and a great feeling of well being for several hours after my workouts. I had some incredible workouts using Origin, endurance was way up, focus was as good as it gets, and energy was seemingly never ending. No crashing or ill feelings whatsoever at any point when I took Origin. It gets a huge thumbs up in the effectiveness department.

Taste/Mixability: 7/10 -- 10/10
    I had the CherryBomb flavor and I am personally not a fan of anything cherry flavored. That being said, this tasted like a strong mix of cherry chapstick and cherry cough syrup. It is not very pleasurable to drink, but definitely not horrible by any means. If you like cherry this might actually be nice though. All in all, not horrible but not great in the taste department.
    This pretty much mixes the instant it touches water, no grit or foam at all.

Value: 9+/10
    $25 for 30 true servings is a very good deal, especially considering how well this product worked for me and my goals.

I cant state enough how much I enjoy using this product, it is now my number one go to pwo. Mix a scoop of this with half a scoop DStunner and its nothing short of amazing.
    As always, take my review with a grain of salt. Origin worked incredibly well for me, but as we all know supplements effect people very differently.
    Eitherway, I highly recommended this product, great job by Genomyx.

April 13, 2013

Cons:
    I've used many different pre-workouts and some stand out as unique. What I like about this product is there is no "prop blend"!. Genomyx lists all ingredients and the amounts on the label.

Ok first of all it mixes very well. Add the two scoops to a shaker cup and shake it up a bit and you're good to go.

Taste isn't that great. It's suppose to be some kind of cherry flavor but it just doesn't do it for me. It has a strange aftertaste to it. It's not too bad though and it seems to grow on you.

As far as energy goes it is pretty smooth. This is not some in your face cracked out type of energy. It's smooth and long lasting. With the hefty dose of Citrulline(3,000mg) per serving it helps tremendously with endurance. I'm able to keep going and going without tiring. Definitely good for cardio workouts also.

One thing I noticed with this pre-workout as opposed to others is that I don't seem to build up tolerance as fast with this one.

Another strange thing about the taste of the product, is it seems to make me thirsty. I've not had that effect from other pre workouts. Never have needed more than the regular 2 scoop serving.

It's a fairly decent value as you can find it for around $25 usually. It comes with 30 servings, so it should last you awhile if you don't use it everyday.

I've used it for cardio and for weight training and its been great for both. Especially good for endurance during long cardio sessions.

If you're looking for something not to stimulating, but just enough this may be for you. No jitters or anything side effects except for increased thirst.