Advanced Protocol has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA

Advanced Protocol Reviews

By: Genomyx

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA
Advanced Protocol is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by Genomyx. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

Advanced Protocol has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA

Only 2 Reviews - Waiting for more trustworthy reviews

May 9, 2013

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Affordable
    I purchased Advanced Protocol (Desert Punch) by Genomyx from the online store named Lockout Supplements for $27.95 for 60 servings at 2 scoops per serving. I purchased this product because I was looking for a recovery product/BCAA product to help improve recovery time, focus and restore energy levels. I have now learned that Genomyx has discontinued this product. I'm not a lover of it nor am I a hater. I have tried other BCAA supplements/Recovery mixes and I would prefer them over this product

Mixability 9/10
    The powder resembles salt, small and gritty with little pieces of crystal flakes. When adding the water to your shaker bottle you will see the dust fly into the air so fill slowly. I have noticed residual powder stuck to the inside of the shaker bottle when finished, which isn't a problem when you add another few ounces of water and give it a swish to get the last drop. I only use one scoop but take the product twice a day. one scoop with 8-10 oz of water is normally what I use. The product taste like orange and pineapple. I have no problem chugging the mixture. I have never had any stomach upset, cramps or dizziness.

Effectiveness 7/10
    I was hoping for a renewed dose of energy after a hard 45 minute gym routine with 20 minutes of running on the treadmill added on at the end. Other BCAA products, I have felt that after taking it at the end of my workout, it gave me a "boost". I use to come home from the gym and crash onto the couch, but when using these recovery products I get a clean boost of energy and go on about my day not feeling lethargic. However, Advanced Protocol was the weakest of the bunch I have tried. I increased my dosage but still did not find the result I was looking for. Scientifically, I'm sure it was assisting my recovery however I'm not getting into the science of the product. After trying two containers I stopped mid way through the third and switched to another brand and immediately found the result I was looking for.

Overall 7/10
    Like I said, scientifically it was probably assisting my body with recovery and supplying me with the BCAA that my body wanted. Overall, when I compared Protocol to other brands I felt this one wasn't the best for me. I wouldn't purchase this product again but I would suggest it to someone who doesn't prefer to "feel" the side effects of a supplement. I enjoy that boost of renewed energy because I have a busy schedule and its like my coffee (which I don't drink). I only use the product on workout days and I am at the gym 3-4 times within 7 days. The container is small and fits easily in your gym bag or kitchen cabinet. I like the labeling and doesn't have any outrageous claims on the bottle.

January 28, 2013

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Simple Ingedients
    • Great Recovery
    • Affordable
    • Mixes Poorly
    Ok, so this is the new version of Protocol from Genomyx, a company that I feel is showing some real potential. Protocol is billed a recovery product and as such I'm always kind of "meh" since I get great recovery from protein and food and just don't see the need to spend money on extra post workout aminos. However, Advanced Protocol is a versatile product and I use it as both a pre or post workout supplement. In the past I have used both HumaPro and Gaspari Size-On in similar roles and prefer Advanced Protocol.

Formula 8.5/10

---
    Ingredients are simple, clearly disclosed on the label and provided in efficacious dosages. A 2 scoop serving gives you 500mg Agmatine, 1g COP, 1g LCLT and 3.25g L-Leucine. I would have rated this even higher if the agmatine was doubled since I prefer to take at least a gram.

Basically the leucine and LCLT helps muscle building and recovery, the COP is there for endurance and lactic acid, and the agmatine provides pump and nutrient delivery. There are other mTor, insulin and hormone signaling benefits as well and you can go to any product page to read further info on those; I won't get into all the theoretical science behind the specific ingredients but I will say that I find them all to be components that I have used (with good results) in bulk in the past, so that's a big plus to have them combined into one product.

Dosing 9/10

---
    Basically you take 2 scoops in a fasted state, 1-2 times per day. I mainly use this pre – I take 3-4 scoops (plus an adidional gram of agmatine) and find it's a pretty good way to get some aminos in me since I workout at 0500 and choose to not get up an hour earlier just to eat breakfast. Add a scoop of Vitargo or other qucik carb source and I find that it provides fantastic training performance and lifting endurance. (This is basically my home brewed and cheaper version of Size-On) And for the record, if I didn't buy like a gazillion pounds of Vitargo really cheap, I would probably just use Gatorade or fruit...

Mixing 3/10

----
    This stuff mixes like crud, lol. Yes, it's because of the free form leucine but here's my advice – use warm tap water in a shaker bottle and let it sit for 10 minutes. Add ice before drinking if you prefer it cold. Trust me, the warm water really helps it go into solution.

Taste 8/10

-------
    I have both flavors – desert punch (which is kind of a light orange/pineapple) and cherry bomb (which is an EXTREMELY strong cherry flavor). Either is more than acceptable although I tend to prefer the desert punch since the cherry tends to be a bit too sweet first thing in the AM. (Although mixed with Genomyx's pwo, Origin, the cherry tends to wake you up....)

Effectiveness 8/10

----
    Simple - this works well. I find that taken pwo provides me with what I need to lift. Adding a carb source gives me everything I need to work out first thing in the AM. When I don't work out upon waking I take all 4 scoops as a post workout supplement (which is how Genomyx advertises it). Either way, lifting performance and recovery is all good and I have no qualms recommending this for either pre or post.

I will also say that I prefer this over the 10 tabs of Humapro I used to take. (I know, blasphemy) But seriously, I find this to be preferable, even though Humapro is a more complete amino product – just my opinion and because I maintain a pretty robust macro intake, it could be that the the Humapro is overkill for me, personally.

Value 8/10

----
    You can find this for under 30 bucks, so 60 servings/tub comes out to right about .50 per servings. If you're doubling the dose like I do, then it's basically a dollar per serving. Either way a tub is going to last at least a month, so I feel that's not too shabby a deal. Its in the same per serving price neighborhood as Humapro and compared to Gaspari Size-On, it's a good bit less expensive.

Overall --

----
    This is a solid product by a company that I anticipate great things from in 2013. It can be taken either pre or post and provides me with everything I need for great performance and recovery. I have transitioned to using this almost exclusively (with some added agmatine and a creatine product) as my staple training supplement. Plus a caffeine cap or a couple shots of espresso prior and I actually no longer feel the need to take a pwo supplement which certainly saves me some cash.

It's simple, effective and even at a dollar per day, pretty affordable for what it provides.