Ranks #9 (better than 11%)
In: Health & Wellbeing > Digestive Health

Equilibrium is a Digestive Health Product manufactured by General Biotics. It helps the body to regulate and maintain a healthy digestive function state.

Health & Wellbeing > Digestive Health

Samazon
TROOPer Level: 56

February 3, 2015

Introduction:
I wanted to try a probiotic, as I never have and appreciate General Biotics for letting me try their probiotic.
I do have IBS and thought that this might give me some regularity and relief.

Ingredient Profile:
Their website lists:
[1 Billion CFU from 115 strains, including 85 no other probiotic supplement offers.
Shelf stable, no refrigeration required.
Delayed release capsules for proper delivery.
Small, easy to swallow capsules.
Designed in California, grown in the United States.
100% recyclable bottle, 100% compostable capsules.]

I have read up on some of the major probiotics in the current market and all of them specifically list the cultures and ingredients of their products. The label does not specify what culture there are in their product as termed on their website, "We are not disclosing strains at this time. Equilibrium took a lot of time and money to create, we want to protect that investment."
That answer does not make me, as a consumer at all satisfied with the content of this product. The two positive comments I have for the ingredient profile are:
1- Shelf stable (allegedly)
2- Grown in the United States (again, allegedly)
If both of these claims are true, kudos to the company, as these are major selling points for American consumers of probiotics; a lot of probiotics should be refrigerated to maintain freshness and stability of cultures and American supplements consumers are becoming much keener on where and how their products are being manufactured for purity.

This product claims to have 1 Billion CFU from 115 unidentified (unique) strains per each capsule. Let's randomly compare:
Culturelle = 10 billion CFU (Lactobacillus GG)
Garden of life = 5 billion CFU (13 strains)
Now foods Probiotic-10 = 50 billion CFU (10 strains)

I am not saying that either one of these aforementioned probiotics are better or worse than the other; however, I am noticing that the majority of the pre-exisiting probiotic products on the market are showing considerably higher amounts of colony-forming units (CFU = rough estimate of the number of viable bacteria or fungal cells in a sample) in their products.
All other companies also state what strain they so proudly promote in their product. I find it very suspicious that the General Biotics company chooses to keep this discrete and in doing so, are allowing consumers to ask more questions and allow for greater speculation on what is actually in each capsule. I could be swallowing capsules of saw dust and sand, and without full disclosure, I have no faith in saying that I am not.

Taste/Mixability/Dosing:
Take one capsule by mouth daily at the start of meal. The capsules are easy to swallow.
No taste.

I have not used other probiotics and cannot compare this to other probiotics, but only to my own body before and during use of this product. I was hoping to see noticable improvement and relife of IBS symptoms. I would say while on this product I noticed UP TO 20% benefit/improvement from this product. That is a generous conclusion and one I will add is made with the disclaimer that my IBS is still "moderately controlled" at best with many OTCs and prescription medications. Being said, this could be a complete coincidence and have not much if anything, to do with the probiotic. Many medications and therapies have also done absolutely nothing to help my IBS, so this is an important point to note. I did have some slight improvement with regularity during my use with this product.

Because this product is so new to the market they have only one finished study to their name. Many other probiotics suppliers have over a dozen studies with hundreds of testimonials, with doctors and professional that recommend usage of their products. General Biotics lacks everything that makes all of the other companies so successful and will need to gain that notoriety through more studies in order to gain popularity and esteem with the supplement community.

Value: *For a 1 month supply*
This is found supplied from their website at a 1-time buy, including shipping for $37.50 OR with a 'subscription' (continually sending to/billing user) for $29; int'l users add $3 to each order.
There are many probiotics found at Walgreens and Walmart (ie Schiff, Equate, Align, Culturelle, Jarrow, Renew Life, etc.) ranging from $16- upwards of $36, but rarely were the major brands seen over that price point when I searched.

I won't rate the value, but will comment that this product is on the higher end of the line when it comes to a one month supply for probiotics. That seems like it steep price for a company that will not tell you what is in their product. Too much for me.

Side Effects:
No immediate negative side effects that I can conclude. However, I did contract Influenza while on the tail end of this product, which is a disappointment, knowing the research behind improving your gut flora and how much that influences one's immune defenses. Other than relieving IBS symptoms for me personally, also improving immune defense should be a result of every human's probiotic usage.

Conclusion:
I would like to thank General Biotics for allowing me to try their Probiotic. I would not recommend this product to any user, due to the lack of research, the inconsistencies between this specific product and all comparable probiotics seen on today's market. I know I am a guinea pig being an ER for this site and took Equilibrium with blind faith, or more appropriately "Bro-science," or straight from the General Biotics website, because "Beltran, David, David’s girlfriend, David’s parents, David’s sister, and David’s cousins are all taking Equilibrium."
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improved Regularity
  • Not Enough Scientific Research
lava135

January 9, 2015

I received this through the ER program and was quite interested since I commonly am using some sort of probiotic product and have a good body of use to compare to.

GB includes over 115 strains of probiotics (1 billion cfu), prebiotic (flax seed) and plant derived hypromellose for delayed delivery. In all honesty I have no idea how to rate the ingredient profile except to compare it to similar products. Most other products have more probiotic blend compnents and greater total cfu counts, although many are similar if you look at a per capsule count. But at the end of the day I have no background of experience to really evaluate this label except through actual effectiveness as below.

I loved this - 1 cap a day and done. As a side note, I let my gf use the last 5 caps as an experiment and she got the same results on 1 cap per day that I did - interesting that 1 cap proved equally effective since she weighs 110 and I weigh 260.

I found this to be the most effective digestive aid that I've used to date. All the typical digestive signs were present - more regular bowel movements, no bloating or gas, and overall just a more normal sense of fullness and digestion between meals. While most of this is anecdotal, I do firmly believe that this proved more effective at over-all wellness than other probiotics that seemed to simply flush my system and make me fart alot.

This is a difficult rating since it was so effective for me; it sells directly from the vendor for $34.00 for a 30 day bottle. It's more expensive than the Designs for Health or Pure Encapsulations products that I prefer, but it also was more effective. So if an "8" is a great value, I'll rate this just below that - I'd definitely purchase it but I'll certainly whine a little bit at spending a dollar per day, regardless of the fact that I do believe that this has a valuable overall net benefit. But I do think that I was able to eat less and feel fuller which supported my training and overall weight loss goals. I also found myself becoming less random in when I ate, so if that's an effect of this, then great.

Side Effects

Typically probiotic side effects: looser and more frequent stool elimination, occasional gas

Conclusion

I liked this product alot - it's not sexy but I do think that it helps my body digest (and thus assimilate) nutrients better.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improved Digestion
  • Improved Regularity
  • Little To No Bloat After Eating
  • Peace Of Mind
  • Limited Availability
sdunlimited

January 4, 2015

Probiotic supplements tend to be more in the 'under the radar' category for sports supplement users however, their inclusion should be considered for anyone who relies on a precision diet for improved performance. My diet may not have been precise during my run with this product but I believe that actually helped to show how effective this little capsule really is.

Profile Overview

Equilibrium doesn't break down each and every probiotic microbe included in each capsule (which is a good thing because there are apparently 115 of them!). Here is the information provided on the label:

A serving of 1 capsule includes:

Probiotic Ecosystem
115 Probiotic Strains in their Natural Ratios
1 Billion CFU's at Teim of Manufacture

There are 30 capsules per bottle with a suggested serving of 1 capsule daily at the start of a meal.

Taking Equilibrium couldn't be easier. I took 1 capsule daily, every day without fail, with my first meal of the day. It is a tiny capsule that has no negative flavor, burning, etc when taking.

Effectiveness: 8.5/10

I took Equilibrium in the time period shortly after Thanksgiving to just after Christmas. The opportunities to ruin a diet are endless during this stretch and I had my fair share of indulgences. I can say unequivocally that this product helped in digestion, maintaining regularity and truly did support health and mood (which is one of three label claims. The other two being: Replaces Missing Microbes and Improves Digestion). I did not once have any issues with regularity where I know I would have otherwise. Some foods just don't settle well with me but I was amazed to feel a constant normalcy, for lack of a better term, throughout.
There was also a nasty stomach virus that made its way through the kids school, my workplace and in the local area generally that I did not get. I did have a two day stretch where I felt a little 'off' but nothing came of it. Was it Equilibrium that held it at bay? Can't say for sure but I am convinced this little pill worked very well for me. Especially in comparison to other cheap, off the shelf probiotics I've used in the past. When taking other products nothing ever really seemed to change. I distinctly noticed a positive difference with Equilibrium and was honestly blown away by it. To be fair, it could be because my expectations weren't super high for a probiotic product to begin with.

General Biotics apparently only sells Equilibrium on their website via single 30 cap bottles at $34 plus $3.50 S/H or a subscription service at $29 per 30 cap bottle and $0 S/H. First off, it's not cheap and secondly, I'm not a fan of subscription services like these. I certainly understand it, especially with a product like this, but I've seen these services go bad far too often. They're just not for me. I would prefer to see something along the lines of buy one get one half off or buy two get one free, etc. Regardless, in the realm of probiotic supplements, Equilibrium is at the top of the price range. This could quite easily be a 'you get what you pay for' scenario however, as I mentioned above, no other probiotic has worked for me like this one. Like most, I budget my supplement expenses and $30+ for a probiotic is hard to factor in.

Overall: 7.9/10

This is a great product and has a price that reflects its uncompromising effectiveness. Does it fit into your monthly supplement budget? Is gut health, regularity, improved digestion and peace of mind worth the price to you? For me, the answer is "I'm not sure". When I'm eating on point and every mouthful of food is calculated, I don't think I necessarily need this support. When I'm not on a precision diet and things are a little fast and loose, I'd like to have Equilibrium in my supplement arsenal.

Thank you General Biotics for allowing the Expert Review team to evaluate some of your product offerings. I hope this helps you gain a better perspective of this product and assists in your decision to purchase.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improved Digestion
  • Improved Regularity
  • Little To No Bloat After Eating
  • Peace Of Mind
  • Limited Availability