Submit a review

How-to Guides and Articles

Forum

Ethan's Log: Fasting + Ultimate Diet 2.0 + Training + Photos

Read 49601 times

CamelE
Rep: +933
Trust: 100%
Ethan's Log: Fasting + Ultimate Diet 2.0 + Training + Photos « : February 18, 2011, 10:54:42 PM »
Primer: As many of you probably know by now, I've been following a sort of modified intermittent fast/warrior diet approach (more on that later) since about September/October 2010. The idea of fasting to detox the body and other benefits first intrigued me, and after learning more about fasting, I discovered there were multiple ways to fast [vegetable juice fasts, water fasts, 3 week fasts, 16 hour daily fasts (intermittent), etc]. I started playing around it with and even did a 48 hour just for fun. I even emailed Greg Plitt on the topic, and he answered my question on his website in a video blog titled "The Art of Fasting".

I began intensively researching fasting, how the body reacts to it including time frames and type of training, etc. and still continue to do so.

Diet
The Warrior Diet - To put it simply, it's one meal a day at night. This is still considered intermittent fasting but different from most that it gets it's own name. Other IF approaches can be multiple meals. You can read more about it here: http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-2021686-10409943?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbodybuilding.com/fun/mahler49.htm

Intermittent Fasting - Basically, a pattern that includes alternate periods of eating with fasting. Time frames vary. Most have heard of leangains.com (great website) which follows a 16 hour fast - 8 hour feed protocol. Meal frequency during the 8 hours (or X hours) doesn't matter, but typically is around 3 meals divided pre- and post-workout.

My modifications
- I pretty much combined the two, even though they are very similar. I started following the intermittent fasting approach to begin with. However, a quick scoop I picked up on was training fasted. Prior to this IF stuff, I NEEDED a pre-workout meal. If I was hungry, I was gonna die. Now, I am fasted for anywhere for 16-20 hours [I've even gone 30 hours (I just don't care)] and then lift. I couldn't believe how much strength I've managed to gain by going this long without food then lifting. I take BCAA's before I workout and during (important). Since I began ditching pre-workout meals, and I always train in the evening, having just post-workout meals made it similar to the Warrior Diet. Also, since I would fast for longer than the 16/8 protocol and would do more of a 20-24 hour fast, it mimics the Warrior Diet and also Eat Stop Eat (24 IF).

Diet: I will try and include what I eat each day, but to put it simply, I eat a huge feast. Tons and tons of meat and veggies mainly. I try and consume starches like Ezekial Toast and Sweet Potatoes only on lifting days (higher carb) and more healthy fats/oils on off days.

Also, I never count carbs, calories, or anything. Granted, it's not that I don't care what I eat. I give myself a general "Yeah, that would be ok to eat at this time", but otherwise it's not my lifestyle. Hopefully with the start of this log, I may start doing that to give myself a good idea.

Note: I've also decided to follow the Paleo diet as completely as possible. Even though I typically already ate that stuff (meats, fish, veggies, nuts), I still ate dairy (milk, greek yogurt, cheese, casein). I'm going to cut out all dairy and protein powders for the time being. I always self-experiment. Given a week or 2, I might add whey back in depending if I truly noticed any changes. I am going to miss my casein pudding.

So to some things up, here's basically my diet: http://twitter.com/Martinberkhan/status/32532622118752256

I will do my best to cycle macros
    Workout days
    • high protein, low fat, moderate carbs (mainly veggies and some starches even though that goes against the paleo protocol)
    Off days
    • high protein, high fat, low carb

Supplements: I've really cut down on the amount of supplements I use. More recently I experimented with Yohimbine HCL with great results; however, the last couple weeks was really kinda taking 1 step forward with Yohimbine + Training and 1 step backward with the GF and eating. See picture. After some time off I will eventually go back to Yohimbine.

More recently, I picked up "The 4-Hour Body", pretty interesting read. I love to read about unorthodox or alternate methods for everything. In it I learned about PAGG (Policosanol, ALA, Garlic (allicin), and Green tea flavanols) -- supposedly a non-stim fat stack with results comparable to ECA.

So basically current supplements:
NOW Policosanol
NOW Alpha Lipoic Acid
LifeExtension Lightly Caffeinated Mega Green Tea Extract
Nature's Way Garlicin
1.M.R.
Nitrox II
Modern BCAA

Dosing: The PAGG stack is meant to be taken as following: AGG portion 15-30 minutes before all meals (breakfast lunch dinner type ordeal) and then all 4, PAGG, before bed. It is to be run 6 days on, 1 day off. Every 2 months, 1 week off is needed.

Since I do 1 meal, I will do AGG post-workout and PAGG pre-bed. Because it works it's magic when taken before a meal, I will not take on an empty stomach throughout the day to compensate for the less-frequent doses because of less meals.

Goals: Get leaner.

Even though strength gains have been coming along, I'm currently focusing on leaning out as opposed to muscular hypertrophy. But I'm not (and haven't lost, mind you) going to sacrifice muscle mass to lose the fat.

-Ethan[/list]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:57:57 PM by CamelE »
F***arounditis most commonly manifests itself as an intense preoccupation with crunches, curls, cable movements, belts, gloves, balance boards, Swiss Balls and Tyler Durden. Fear of squats and deadlifts is another distinguishing trait. Physical exertion is either completely lacking or misapplied.

dansley
Rep: +394
« Reply #1: February 18, 2011, 11:05:05 PM »
Here we go! It's about time my friend!
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 201 lbs
Bf%: 8.3

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

CamelE
« Reply #2: February 18, 2011, 11:07:31 PM »
Here we go! It's about time my friend!

I know right? Only took me half a year!
F***arounditis most commonly manifests itself as an intense preoccupation with crunches, curls, cable movements, belts, gloves, balance boards, Swiss Balls and Tyler Durden. Fear of squats and deadlifts is another distinguishing trait. Physical exertion is either completely lacking or misapplied.

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

kamotekid
Rep: +14
Trust: 10%
« Reply #3: February 19, 2011, 12:09:57 AM »
great job bro! during your fast, do you just drink water and how much bcaa do you take?

blizzard
Rep: +211
Locker Roommates
« Reply #4: February 19, 2011, 12:27:41 AM »
I'm in!  You and Dansley got me hooked.  I think you've got a soon-to-be convert!  I'll be following this for sure.  Might have some questions here and there too, if you don't mind! 

Also, I'm confused.  Where is the body fat you want to lose?  From the pictures, it looks like you could lower other peoples' body fat just by staring at them  ;D
"If you saw two guys named Hambone and Flippy, which one would you think liked dolphins the most? I'd say Flippy, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong, though. It's Hambone."  - Jack Handy

Cray
Rep: +3,424
Locker Roommates
« Reply #5: February 19, 2011, 05:10:04 AM »
No homo, you're a beast Camel.

Subbed for sure. 
The creator of HSB and forever a Bro. RIP T2K.

"Better to die on your feet than live on your knees." - Courage Wolf
"Don't be a hoe, do some research bro." - Mooselini

CamelE
« Reply #6: February 19, 2011, 05:14:08 AM »
great job bro! during your fast, do you just drink water and how much bcaa do you take?

Just water. The BCAAs are only needed during fasted training.

I'm in!  You and Dansley got me hooked.  I think you've got a soon-to-be convert!  I'll be following this for sure.  Might have some questions here and there too, if you don't mind! 

Also, I'm confused.  Where is the body fat you want to lose?  From the pictures, it looks like you could lower other peoples' body fat just by staring at them  ;D

I still have a little body fat to lose all over, especially the stubborn bf.

This is a client from the leangains site: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_dtaWqzV6d7M/TUGxYLA3RjI/AAAAAAAABAg/6NlKovSWJuk/s320/Intermittent+Fasting+Success+Stories+Leangains+After+Pic+David.jpg

No homo, you're a beast Camel.

Subbed for sure. 

Thanks Cray!

gbganab
Rep: +325
« Reply #7: February 19, 2011, 07:53:25 AM »
I will be following! This whole IF is really nice and thanks again for helping me get started. I've been doing a pre-workout meal to break the fast-oatmeal and whey, but I am going to try and fast a little longer 18 hours or so and train completed fasted and see how I like it. Awesome stuff. Any way you can get that Gregg Plitt interview on here?
Good, better, best-never let it rest, until your good is better and your better is best.

madhungry
Rep: +150
« Reply #8: February 19, 2011, 10:30:48 AM »
yesssss. I'm pumped man.

kevO
Rep: +4,291
Locker Roommates
« Reply #9: February 19, 2011, 10:40:31 AM »
Nice Camel, im following.

Failure is NEVER an Option.

Patience and Hard Work produces results

Wrestler152
Rep: +277
« Reply #10: February 19, 2011, 10:42:31 AM »
How do you take the Yohimbine HCL? What kind of results has it given you with the fast? Also subbed youre the one that got me reading up on IF now im loving it!

CamelE
« Reply #11: February 19, 2011, 11:33:59 AM »
Thanks guys!

I will be following! This whole IF is really nice and thanks again for helping me get started. I've been doing a pre-workout meal to break the fast-oatmeal and whey, but I am going to try and fast a little longer 18 hours or so and train completed fasted and see how I like it. Awesome stuff. Any way you can get that Gregg Plitt interview on here?

That's about all I can post lol. I can't download it or anything and it's 30 minutes long. I got birdman to join his site too and I know he's watched the video. He goes more into how the body detoxes to the cellular level as opposed to body composition and training. In the video, Greg said he was gonna do a 21 day fast I believe and post his results, but he never did lol.

How do you take the Yohimbine HCL? What kind of results has it given you with the fast? Also subbed youre the one that got me reading up on IF now im loving it!
Yohimbine only works when you're fasted (insulin negates it) which makes it perfect for IFing. I was doing 7.5mg pre-workout and another 7.5mg near the end of my workout for cardio. This is a very high dose. I however, react very well to it. I know a guy twice my size that will puke uncontrollably if he takes 2.5mg. It can be some potent/dangerous stuff. Results I noticed were intense sweating and stubborn fat loss; however, as mentioned my diet as been less than ideal in the past month which has affected my results.

Cray
Rep: +3,424
Locker Roommates
« Reply #12: February 19, 2011, 11:42:51 AM »
Yohimbine only works when you're fasted (insulin negates it) which makes it perfect for IFing. I was doing 7.5mg pre-workout and another 7.5mg near the end of my workout for cardio. This is a very high dose. I however, react very well to it. I know a guy twice my size that will puke uncontrollably if he takes 2.5mg. It can be some potent/dangerous stuff. Results I noticed were intense sweating and stubborn fat loss; however, as mentioned my diet as been less than ideal in the past month which has affected my results.

Camel - I've been taking 5mg of Yohimbe in the morning with 200mg caffeine. The weird thing though is I feel intensely cold throughout the morning. No sweating or thermogenic effect, almost the opposite. Does this seem abnormal?
The creator of HSB and forever a Bro. RIP T2K.

"Better to die on your feet than live on your knees." - Courage Wolf
"Don't be a hoe, do some research bro." - Mooselini

CamelE
« Reply #13: February 19, 2011, 11:48:19 AM »

Camel - I've been taking 5mg of Yohimbe in the morning with 200mg caffeine. The weird thing though is I feel intensely cold throughout the morning. No sweating or thermogenic effect, almost the opposite. Does this seem abnormal?

Actually no. In fact, I'm normally cold throughout my fast. I'm pretty much used to it now. "Fasting increases the blood flow to your body fat (the process is called adipose tissue blood flow). So when you are fasting more blood is travelling to your body fat, presumably to help move it to your muscles where it can be burned as a fuel. Do to this increased travel to your body fat, micro-vasodilation occurs in your fingertips and sometimes toes to compensate. So in some cases it’s a ‘necessary evil’ in the fat loss process" (leangains.com)

I also read some cool stuff in "The 4-Hour Body" on using cold to burn fat. Michael Phelps would eat 12,000 calories a day, yet he is extremely lean. Why? Temperature of the water. Being in a pool for 3-4 hours a day that was cooler than your body temp burns calories. Ice baths and super cold showers also work.

deumcole
Rep: +4,694
Locker Roommates
« Reply #14: February 19, 2011, 03:31:22 PM »
I'm intrigued on these IF diets. I've trained before on emtpy stomachs, & I feel I've had better workouts then oddly enough. The ideas behind IF fly in the face of everything I know, but it seems the results are out there to back up this stuff. So I'm sub'd!
I wanna see how this stuff goes.

Have you heard of the Paleo Diet?
"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
- Thomas Jefferson

Violence, is forever.
Your silence, forced this war.

Copyright © 2017 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.