2011 Transformation Contest Log~VIKING POWER: Blood & Guts + Finnish Deadlift

Read 138916 times

« Reply #300: July 14, 2011, 06:45:30 PM »
Prolly the first of the last few posts on this log. I'm debating on resurrecting my Wasteland Survival Guide, or starting a brand new log. Decisions, decisions. I'll post here until a winner is announced.

Hit arms today.

Hang power snatch:
•95x6
•105x6
•115x5
•125x5
•135x3
Used these as a warm up, get the blood flowing & jack up my HR. On the first 2-3 sets I was an all-star. Form was perfect; I was getting excellent depth on the catch, & I had not problems locking out each rep. I started to catch the bar higher from there, & at 135 my but was barely low enough to qualify as a squat. At this point I don't think I was getting adequate rest in between sets, & in addition I had some issues locking out. I would catch the bar, elbows would bend slightly, & according to an old olympic powerlifter I know a bend in the elbows up top is no good. Irrelevant to me, but still a point of frustration.

Closed-reverse grip bench:
•135x12
•155x12
•185x8
Hit these as a change. Been hammering traditional closed grip, & I felt a change was in order. Still having troubles unracking, but given the grip I think that's unavoidable for the most part. I did a real good job of not letting my elbows dip too far down (goin past 90°). For strength purposes, this is good. For me, it keeps my shoulders out of it mostly. Only thing I don't like, targets the outside head of the triceps too much >:(

Closed grip cable pushdowns:
•60x15
•70x12
•115x6
•100x8
Used a very diff attachment today. Its kinda like a closed-V grip, but the angle mimics a rope pushdown. Wanted to try & hit the inside heads, but the hand angle didn't work much. 115 was so fuking difficult, so I hit 100 just to get a good lift in.

Machine triceps dips:
•150x15
•190x15
•230x12
I've been eyeing this machine for awhile, & finally pulled the trigger. I like it, cince it offers a grip similar to bench dips. First 2 sets were ridiculously light, & while 230 was challenging I'm thinking I can do the whole stack (~300lb). Very good contractions, the different grip really helped target the inside head. I like.

Single arm cable pushdowns (cross body, DY style):
•15x15
•2x30x12
Pinched off each rep, & got an extremely tight contraction. Did a lot better than I usually do, so I was very pleased.

Standing DB curls:
•30x12
•35x12
•55x8
Good lift. Felt strong here, & got an awesome contraction. Biceps pumped up quick, & vascularity is ever improving. I'm liking my new GASP lifting straps, they have a strong hold but still challenges the forearm & grip due to how thick the straps are.

Closed grip EZ bar preacher curls:
•65x12
•95x6
•105x5
Last 2 sets were a mistake, depending on how you look at it. 95x6 was literally all I could get. I got to 5, & as I went for 6 it stopped halfway & I had to fight to finish it. Took forever to finish the rep, but I'm kinda digging it. Same story at 105, but maybe another set of 95 would've been better.

Standing straight bar curls:
•95x15 (!)
•115x12
•135x10
I surprised myself at 95, I didn't think I would get to 12 let alone 15. Energy & strength remained high, & at 135 I'm thinking I could've gotten 12+. Stoked to say the least.

Concentration curls:
•40x12
•50x12
Very good contractions. Working out the kinks still, but I am liking what I get out of it.

Pull up medly:
•2 x neutral grip x 5
•2 x closed-underhand grip x 5
•2 x wide-overhand grip x 5
Did 1 set of each first, then ran thru them once more. Felt good, but not sure why I did these. Might hafta do with a video of Matt Kroc I saw. Man crush? Perhaps...

Doing Martial Arts tongiht, might update later...

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

« Reply #301: July 15, 2011, 11:05:57 PM »
Well, I did alright in martial arts last night. Flying smooth, until we went over weapons techniques. On nunchakus I was showing a lower ranking black belt the first few techniques, & one requires a jump. I guess landed wrong, cuz shortly after I started getting tight below my right patella. Class continued, but when I got home I went to step out of the car & I could straighten my right knee out to walk. My gate was all fuked up, & I quickly threw an ice pack on it to do something.
Today its much better, but still tight. My gate is normal now, but needless to say I've scrapped my leg workout & am resting until Monday. Might go for Sunday, but I'm not touching legs until wednsday. Squat motion feels fine, but if I squat down like a catcher it hurts like hell.

Also, it seems this contest is at an official end now. I've already made my philosophical attempt, so just a good-bye to this log. I've decided to keep my Wasteland Survival Guide going, so next update will be there.

Also (hehe), my Inzer 10mm should be here Tues. I'm so friggin excited, it was custome made (not reallly, just made to order).

Matty28
Posts: 1511
« Reply #302: July 15, 2011, 11:48:07 PM »

Today its much better, but still tight.

Recto-Blast has that effect.

Link to other log? I'll happy to follow.

« Reply #303: July 16, 2011, 05:02:47 AM »
@Deumcole what martial arts are u studying?

I have trained in quite a few over since HS.... Ju-Jitsu, Okinawan Kenpo and Wing Chun

« Reply #304: July 16, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »

Wing Chun was my fav, trained once with an NFL (LB) player, it was unreal

Taekwondo & Hapkido. Both Korean, & both compliment each other IMO.

TKD is yer basic striking, while Hapkido is kinda like Korea's Judo but alittle faster paced.

Wing Chun is the stuff of Bruce Lee, only form of Kung Fu I would consider learning.

« Reply #305: July 16, 2011, 10:13:06 AM »

Wing Chun was my fav, trained once with an NFL (LB) player, it was unreal

Taekwondo & Hapkido. Both Korean, & both compliment each other IMO.

That's good, how long have u been studying?

If u have the opp def find a good Sifu with a few diff lineages for Wing Chin in the future.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:19:06 AM by Frankiemusc »

« Reply #306: July 16, 2011, 12:04:10 PM »
9yrs now? Might be my last year though, I can only go once a week & I hafta commute ~70ml now. I've already gotten my 2nd degree black belt, but the 3rd degree testing fees is just too much. I already know enough to qualify me for a 5th degree, so I'm not to worried what a piece of paper says. Since I used to be an instructor (when my commute was 10ml), the Grandmaster advertised me as a 3rd & 4th degree BB. So go figure.

There's been alotta juijitsu & BJJ schools opening up around me, so I might try that.

My main beef with martial arts in general is a lot of it has been watered down for commercial reasons. A kid comes home with a few bruises the parents go ape-shyt...what were they expecting? Its like the parents who get all mortified when their WR kid gets lit-up on a slant route, its going to happen. So, the real techniques get pushed aside. The place I go to is still hardcore, but nowhere near what it used to be. My Dad used to take classes with this Grandmaster (early 1990s), & remembrs full contact sparring with only poor quality chest gear.

Juijitsu/BJJ doesn't seem to be afflicted by this, so hopefully they remain the last bastions of true martial arts outside of Asia.

« Reply #307: July 16, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »

Today its much better, but still tight.

Recto-Blast has that effect.

Link to other log? I'll happy to follow.

« Reply #308: July 16, 2011, 02:20:46 PM »

9 years is quite a while.70 miles, holy crap man that's crazy

Totally agree, a lot of schools are so commercialized.

Are there any Wing Chun places near you?
It's a different experience is the best way to put it, u want to be in close in the persons face. Builds a lot of confidence for real world situations.

madhungry
Posts: 407
« Reply #309: July 17, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »
[quote author=deumcole link=topic=8342.msg142645#msg142645 date=1310843050

[/quote]

^^This! America has gone so damn soft. I mean its martial arts and FOOTBALL! They aren't sending their children to be brownie scouts. AH! It makes me so mad to see litigations that follow silly stuff like this. Frivolous lawsuits and somebody ends up getting paid only to scare people into watering down their craft as you said.  So SOFT.
     @Frankie and @cole have you guys seen the Ip Man movies? They're available for streaming off Netflix. They are so sick. It goes into the story of Bruce Lee's grandmaster and the beginning of the school of Wing Chun. Sick action sequences.

« Reply #310: July 18, 2011, 03:38:34 AM »
[quote author=deumcole link=topic=8342.msg142645#msg142645 date=1310843050

[/quote]

I have seen the footage prv but not the 2008 movie, I will def look for it on netflix. Thanks for the heads up.

Wonder why its called Ip Man, his name was Yip Man.
There’s no wrong time to do the right thing

Sign up or Log in to post a reply.

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!