2011 Transformation Contest Log~VIKING POWER: Blood & Guts + Finnish Deadlift

Read 138809 times

« Reply #30: February 02, 2011, 09:36:51 AM »
Monday was a heavy leg day. I had intended on doing a full lift, but I just didn't feel like it...also all the leg machines were occupied.

Started off with calves. Stood in a hack squat machine backwards to do standiing calf lifts. Didn't get a full range of motion, but it worked:
90x30
270x20
360x20
540x20
270x30
It felt real light, maybe due to the sled. Even though I didn't get full range of motion, I got a good contraction anyways.

Did a leg press calf extension tri-set, toes in toes out regular stance:
180x15
360x12
180x8
90x12
No real heavy loads, since the ti set zaps you of energy real quick. Calves blew up here real nice, & vascularity was amazing. Awesome contractions, but man it got painful (in a good way).

Closed out with single leg calfe extensions for 7s. Started at 90 & progressed exactly like the previous loads. Finished calves off well. Calves were, swole to say the least I guess.

Jumped on hamstring curls real quick. Light loads, nothing worthy of note. Warm up really more than anything.
Jumped on sumo deads next. Power lift here:
225x5
275x5
365x6
410x1
320x8
230x8
140x4
Progressed in weight rather easily. I nailed form & technique, which was a surprise since something is usually off. I either don't keep the bar close enough or I don't bend my knees enough. Got to 410 & almost missed it, not sure why when 365 felt real easy. I dropped set all the way down using a regular stance, flawless form yet again. Got to 140 & literally couldn't lift anymore. Good or bad it was kinda neat, true failure ya know?

Jumped on back squats next:
185x10
275x8
315x5
365x5
405x3
315x8
135x16
Used a wide stance, lifts felt harder than what they actually were. I don't think I pointed my toes enough, but as the weight progressed it corrected itself. Full depth and all, & cleared each set soundly. I just brutish today.

Closed quads out with hack squats:
360x8
90x15
Went more for contraction here, hit all heads of the quads evenly. Not bad. Good contraction, but I was disappoinnted in the drop of reps from 180-270. It doesn't usually fall off like that, but the deads & back squats began taking its toll.

Closed out with lunges, bodyweight. 7 sets, 12 steps. I really focused on stride length & width, making sure I hit every muscle I could. It felt decent that day, but Tuesday into today I know for a fact I hit all the muscles...
"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

« Reply #31: February 02, 2011, 10:09:01 AM »
Tuesda was chest & triceps.

Started off with incline barbell presses, unsupported:
195x10
135x20
Didn't wanna go real heavy, was angling more for contractions. Used a wider grip than I normally do, & oddly enough it feels more comfortable on the incline vs the flat bench. Got a great contraction & stretch. I probably could've gone heavier, but for the first lift of the day I thought it went well.

Jumped to incline flyes:
30x15
I wanted to go heavy here, but not too heavy. More of a consistently high load, which I did. It wasn't that hard, just more of a mental hinderance. Once you get passed the mental, it was just numbers on a DB ;D
Great contractions & stretch.

DB flat presses next, dedicated to breaking plateaus:
85x12
90x10
95x8
45x15
The lift went really well. I didn't have as much trouble as I had anticipated with the havier loads, & finished the reps much better than I usually do. Had to drop all but the 45 DBs once finished, but I was the only one in the bench area. Got good contractions, but the best ever with the 45s. Constant tension, non stop until I couldn't naymore. I almost dropped them, but then who dumps 45s?

Finished with cable crossovers:
30x20
60x15
20x20
I looked absolutely jacked in the mirrors, everything in my upper body was pumped to the max. Awesome. Constant tension reps, full & awesome contractions. Excellent finish.

Hit triceps with rope pushdowns:
110x10
140x8
70x15
Held the rope off the knots, stressing the grip alittle more. As a result I hit the lateral heads more. Good contractions anyways.

Jumped to EZ bar pushdowns:
100x15
160x12
80x20
Focused oon the inside heads, which are stronger for me. I targetted them real well, & I like tthis way of targetting on head on one lift, & the other on the next. Good contractions, & the triceps swelled up nice.

Closed out with singel arm over head cable triceps extension, skullcrusher-ish for 7s. Loads were not worthy of note, since its a typically weak motion & I used a reverse grip. Targetted all heads of the triceps brachii well. Great contractions, they went nice & deep. Great way to finish a Tuesday.

« Reply #32: February 03, 2011, 05:34:20 PM »
All back today, no desire to work anything else really.

Started out with behind-the-neck pulldowns, light weight & just a warm up. Good contractions, but again just a warm up. 4 easy sets, kept the reps around 12-15.

Went to hammer strength closed grip pulldowns. All working sets:
101x15
151x12
191x12
241x10
281x8
191x8
101x12
Kept good form for all sets, which surprised me as my form always seems to falter the high the weight. Great contracctions, really felt it right where I wanted it.

Hit smith machine barbell rows:
275x10
135x12
I wanted to really push the loads today, but it didn't go as high as I had wanted. Got a great contraction, & perhaps even better stretch. Looking in the mirror I could see my lats open up real nice on the negatives, & tuck awa neatly on the lift. I'll be damned if I don't get some killer development.

Finished with heavy DB rows:
110x10
40x12
Struggled some, but kept good form. I was able to squeeze the contractions tighter for some reason, but the lift felt awkward though. Even though the contractions were on point, it still felt as if my positioning/technique was off. I'll tinker with it somemore.

Finished with cable pullovers:
150x8
80x12
Final lift, typical 7s fashion. First 3 sets were nonstop, 1 minute break, non stop to the end. Its all about making a lightweight heavy/challenging, & this way even the lightest loads beat the crap outta you. Used an EZ bar & gripped it like you would for triceps pushdowns, & got a phenominal contraction. It seems that for back exercises the closer yer hands the deeper/tighter the contraction.

Called it a day after that, no real desire to work biceps. Its neither bad nor good, but it kinda bugs me when I don't finish a routine I had set out to do.

Lucky me I'm getting credit for using the school's gym, so tomorrow I plan on closing the week out with a shoulder/traps/biceps day. The gym/fitness center sux, mostly machines & no real freeweights, but I hafta log the hours. I might go to an AM/PM split doing cardio & arms/abs in th evening at school. My lifting might shorten to 3 days, but thas OK really. School just started & I'm already dead tired...

« Reply #33: February 04, 2011, 07:55:45 PM »
Shoulder/biceps/traps up today.

Started off with those lateral Cedric McMillan does. If he hasn't named them yet or if they don't have a name, I'll do it for him. They're now known as "Bic Mac Laterals." I supersetted these bad boys with spiderhammer curls:
5x12
 50x12
Good contractions on both lifts. The Big Mac laterals continue to kick my can, everyone here should try them. Trust me, you'll love em...more than yer old lady. The spider hammer curls were great. I'm getting much better contractions than with regular or cross body hammer curls. You guys should try these to. One thing though you haft fight to control the negatives, so I don't recommend them for noobs or beginner-intermediate lifters.

Closed rear delts with reverse cable flyes. I can't remember my loads, but they weren't very high. I went 4 sets increasing in weight non stop, then 3 down decreasing in weight. Made lightweights extremely difficult. Used a full range of motion, & finished off the great contraction I got with the Big Mac laterals.

Closed brachialis out with revers grip EZ bar curls:
150x10
160x8
70x12
Started off with real heavy loads, heaviest in a long time actually. Pyramided up at first, taking 30-45 sec breaks in between. After the 160 I just dropped down non stop. Contractions got progressively better with each set.

Hit smith machine military presses:
225x5
135x12
These didn't go as I planned. Looking back I had no business loading up on the weight, but hey when yer zombified by some hot chick you do stupid things. Used a wide grip, got a great contraction in the delts. I felt I was able to keep the stress off of the other muscles extremely well, which is always a win.

Supinated front DB raises:
22.5x12
12.5x14
I kept this lift real light, made sure to hit perfect form. Accomplished that well enough, & got a killer contraction. The stretch in the rear delts was nice as well, getting everything I could out of the lift.

Single arm side laterals:
25x12
Great contractions. This is where I noticed the lack of pump with C4 Ex (as compared to Superpump MAX). Last week my delts blew up HUGE here, & this week not quite so. I noted this in my C4 log. I'm liking performing side laterals one arm at a time, since I can get a fuller range of motion & thusly a better stretch/contraction.

Machine laterals for 7s:
95x12
65x12
Great contractions. Loads were on point as they were challenging at first, & a down right battle towards the end. My only gripe about this machine is I don't fit in it. Seriously. I hafta wigle my way in, & wiggle my way out. Its nice cuz I like feeling larger than life (in a good way), but as I progress I don't know of any alternatives to this lift.

Hit biceps with alternating DB curls:
35x12
40x10
45x8
20x12
I wanted to do smaller jumps up in weigt, but as I started biceps the gym got real busy & the half weight DBs disappeared. Good contraction, good pump. At the heavier loads I could see the biceps heads pump up & the veins pop out with every rep.

Next was closeed grip preach curls:
85x8
65x12
Quick and easy...maybe not easy. I wanted to hit it hard & fast, & maybe I hit too hard. Got a great contraction though despite some struggles, so I think I accomplished what I set out for.

Closed out with EZ bar curls:
75x12
55x12
Breezed right through these, relatively speaking. Contractions were on point, & the reps were more of a constant tension style. Wasn't my intent consciously, but I'll take it. The first sets were tough, but the reps began to flow as the weights increased. Good lift.

Hit traps with DB shrugs first:
60x12
I'm outpacing the DB rack, & I'm beginning to get depressed. I'm stuck at the 120s, & quite honestly I can start a set with them. I'm super close to sucking up my pride & straddling the hammer decling bench press. Good contractions anyhow, but I really want those Brock Lesnar traps. I don't care what bodybuilding "experts" say about huge traps, I want frigging gargantuan traps.

Closed out the day with barbell shrugs:
275x12
315x10
365x8
410x8
135x15
Like I said, I want huge traps. Took a new approach with loads I used, & it payed off. The contractions got tighter & deeper with each set. Surprisingly enough. I handled the 410 well enough, & closed out with one quick burnout set. Good stuff.

« Reply #34: February 08, 2011, 08:35:54 PM »
Monday was all legs.

Started things off with standing calf lifts on the hack squat machine:
450x15
630x12
450x15
360x20
90x30
A lot of sets here. Didn't anticipate this, but I was tryin to waste sometime & find out if my lifting partner for today was in. Apparently I told him 10AM when I meant 9-9:30, so there was a miscommunication of sorts. Got a good contraction, but I had a hard time racking the sled. I didn't have enough pop to rack the sled on the top slots, but the bottom(only other) slots were to low. So I struggled with that some. A good lift, but I didn't like the racking issues.

Moved to seated calf lifts:
70x30
180x15
45x30
Maxed out on volume here, looked around & realized I wasn't gonna get a 3rd calfexercise in. Got a good contraction in, kept the reps constant tension. Great pump, but nowhere near what it is when I get 3 exercises in. Woe is I...

I decided to go ahead & start deadlifting, so I warmed up with lying leg curls:
80x12
These went much easer than normal, even at 160 which I believe is a personal best for me. Contractions were good, but I was focused mainly on warrming up the hamstrings & glutes.

Jumped into dead lifts, regular stance:
365x4
410x3
430x1
440x1
These were particularly strong today, & so was my grip. The reps flowed early on, & I didn't need the straps until the 400s. It wasn't hard starting or finishing the reps, which had me particularly excited so I decided to max out & pushed for 440lbs. It went well up until halfway, so I ended up using the hitch technique. I don't care if the hitch disqualifies the lift in competition, simply completing the lift gives me confidence to go higher. Its all about confidence when maxing out. If yer not comfortable with heavy loads, you'll never reach full potential.

Finished hamstrings with seateed leg curls for 7s. Light loads, nothin worthy of note...unfortunately. Good contractions,, really squeezed everything well & as of today my entire posterior chain is sore.

I started squatting with my friend, & apparently I've been goin about it all wrong. I don't sink my hips enough, & when I do apparently my posture is bad. I don't stick my butt out enough to activate my posterior chain. My squats have been very quad intensive, & I have had some knee pains as a result. I tried goin heavy like I normally do, but I couldn't keep good form. So I stripped the bar down to 135 & just focused on form. I have some major retooling to do...

I moved to hack squats:
140x10
230x8
90x12
I had no desire to do leg extensions, so I kept the volume high & used the hack squats for 7s. Contractions were good, surprisingly the lightweight squats fried my quads pretty good. I kept the reps short of lockout, & used a couple rest pauses on the last 2 heavy sets.

I was kinda bummed about my squat form, cuz with bad form I out-lifted everyone on squats. I guess its not really bad form, I used, just not good form. Anyways I'm committed to fixing this little hickup...VIKING POWER!!!

« Reply #35: February 10, 2011, 11:41:47 PM »
Did shoulders wednsday.

Started off with Bic Mac laterals:
5x15
10x15
15x15
20x15
Superset each set with a non-weight, fullrange set. I'm finally getting down form, as each time I go to do these the contractions get better & better.

Closed out with bent over flye, working from 5lbs to 30lbs for 10-15 reps over 7 sets. I guess I was in the zone or something cuz I had form down here to. Contractions were great, got a good pump in as well.

Hit standing military presses:
95x12
145x8
155x6
135x8
I hurt my wrist pretty good here. At 155 I tried using a false grip & the bar sat wrong in my hand & I ended up tweaking my left wrist pretty good. I went ahead with the drop set, but I would have been better I didn't.

Hit barbell front raises:
65x10
95x8
45x12
Good contraction here. Kept the hands inside shoulder width & got a better contraction in the front delts. Last heavy set ended up being mostly partial reps, so I wasn't too pleased.

Tried cable laterals:
40x12
I couldn't get the form down just right, & I the contractions kept bouncing around between the anterior & medial heads of the delts. Whatever mojo I had early on died out by now.

Closed out with machine laterals for 7s. I just the sets going, no real rest. I was hellbent on making up for the last 2 lifts, & I think I did for the most part. Didn't get a good pump, but the contractions were good.

Moved to triceps, started off with closed grip bench:
135x15
Good lift, easy lift. This lift tends to target the lateral heads of the triceps more for me, which isn't bad but I would like it to hit all the heads more evenly.

Did overhead DB extensions:
60x15
70x12
I finally did these right. Got good depth on the negatives, & thhe actual lift didn't hurt/put a strain my joints. I also finally used appropriate loads for once too, & I actually proved stronger than I had anticipated. I hit the inside heads of the triceps good, & got a good contraction.

Closed out with cable pushdown superset with reverse grip pushdowns:
80x15
90x15
130x8
70x15
Great contractions as always. Used a straight bar, & got a better stretch in the muscles than with an EZ bar. Good way to finish the day.

« Reply #36: February 13, 2011, 12:04:14 PM »
Sorry if I haven't been keeping log current, I've had a head cold the past couple days & its been real hard to breathe right let alone think. I woke up this morning & my sinuses were nice & clear, but now I'm spitting flem left & right like a redneck with his skoal. Fortunately this means the cold is clearing up.

Last Friday was a chest & biceps day. Friday means I lift first thing in the morning, which is always nice since no one is at the gym.

Started off with barbell incline press:
185x10
195x8
135x20
I'm getting better on this lift, not load wise but form wise. I've finally found a hand spacing in which I can geet a good stretch/contraction & still get enough power behind the lift. This lift felt real good that day, & I felt like I accomplished alot right off the bat.

Incline flyes:
70x10
35x15
I probably use the heaviest loads for this lift, mainly due to philosophical reasons. That being said, contractions/stretch were awesome. The 70s went by easier than anticipated, which is always good. I didn't feel like leaving it at 70, so I threw in some 35s to just totally thrash the pecs.

Moved to smith machine flat bench press:
135x12
I couldn't get a firm grip on the bar, & it kept bugging me. Looking back I should've just moved to free weights or somehing. It didn't go as well as I liked, struggled early on 225. I can usually bump out 5 reps no sweat, but after 3 today I felt fried. Contraction wise it was good, so it wasn't a total loss.

Finished chest with cable crossovers:
30x20
80x10
40x20
Kept the sets flowing, little to no rest in between sets. Lift remained strong until the end, just the way it should. Contractions were great, & finished off the pump. Once I was done I swear I added 2 inches to my chest in just pump alone.

Started biceps off with high cable curls:
60x10
I do these like the front double biceps pose. Awesome contractions, but God did the D handles squeak real bad. I tried to motor through this lift as fast as possible just to give my ears a rest.

Preacher curls:
70x10
90x8
70x8
45x8
This another weak lift but with a good contraction. I just didn't feel as strong as I should've been, but I guess things like that happen when yer sick.

Closed out with closed-grip EZ bar curls for 7s. Moved from 55 to 80, keeping the reps around 8-12. Good contractions, but it was the end of the workout & fatigue was really setting in. I started to slow down cuz I dint like how my breathing was. It was very laboured, & I could barely breathe out my nose. It was really at this point I had to admitt I was sick.

Everything seems better now, & I'm heading into the last 2 weeks of my OEP/Recreate stack. Things have not gone as planned, so I'm gonna tinker around with my lifts to make some headway before I chill on supps until April. Toodles for now...

« Reply #37: February 15, 2011, 08:32:08 PM »
Monday was legs, & retooling of my squat.

Started off with squats, really just focusing on form:
225x7
255x6
No real heavy loads here, again just focused on form. I'm getting used to it, but I'm still not entirely comfortable with it yet. I am doing better, sticking the butt out to start the squat & pushing the knees out to finish the squat. I'm having a hard time hitting full depth, simply because I'm not used to how it feels hitting full depth. I'm finding it though, so after my cut I'll start ptting up heavier loads.

Hit deadlifts:
225x10
255x8
335x6
405x2
430x1
450x1
Hit deads pretty good. Didn't use straps at all, my lifting partner told me to nutt up so I called the bluff. Got a good stretch in the hammies early on, but as the weight increased I switched over to a more traditional deadlift. Lifting without the straps wasn't as bad as I anticipated, which means either my grip is getting stronger or my straps are useless.

Lying hamstring curls:
80x12
These went well enough. I'm trying something different this week, cutting back on sets & increasing the reps. I typically do a lot of sets, & I don't think its what I want right now. Good contractions, & I'm pleased with the heavier load.

Seated leg curls for 7s, going from 70-145. I tried to keep the pace up, & for the most part I did. The reps stayed consistent, 8-10, but I would've liked it better around 12. Good contractions, good lift.

Leg extensions:
70x12
This is a format I'm going for this week, short & sweet. Kept constant tensions, no lock out at all. Oddly enough a shorteer range of motion seems to stimulate more muscles in the quads. Needless to say great contractions.

Moved to a hack squat(?):
230x12
320x10
410x8
230x12
I think these were hack squats. Its a hammer strength squat machine, but I'm not entirely sure if its a hack squat or regular. Kept a closed stance, targetting that outter sweep area of the quads. About half way through my toes started pointing out some & I hit the vastus medialis some as well. Good contractions, & overall good lift. I still wanna keep the sets down lower, but 5 is a nice number.

Closed out with leg extensions for 7s, same loads as the seated leg curls. Again constant tensions, no lock out, & boy were my quads on fire. The contraction & pumps were awesome, & when I finished I could barely walk...just the way I like it.

« Reply #38: February 16, 2011, 09:35:57 PM »
Tuesday, AM: back.
I started my AMP/PM split Tuesday. Part of school requirements is to complete 45 hours in the school gym, so I figured I'd split up my workouts. Larger muscle groups in the AM; arms, abs, & cardio in the PM.

So AM was back, started off with behind the neck pulldowns:
150x12
180x10
Good way to start the day. Great contractions, really forcing a tight concentric contraction on the lats. Kept the lift short, 3 sets like I was goin for Monday.

Hit neutral grip pulldowns next:
195x12
210x12
Another short & sweet lift. Starting off with the behind the neck pulldowns led to much better contractions here. Really felt the lats stretch all the way out, & got a good tight contraction on the pulldown.

Finished pulldowns with wide grip pulldowns:
210x12
150x12
Drop set kinda, starting at the last heaviest weight & just dropped until I hit 3 sets. Good way to make a light weight heavy, 150 felt heavier than the 210. Really felt my lats stretch all the way out, & saw it in the mirror as well. Great contractions, & good way to finish this leg of the workout.

Moved to DB rows. I split this up into 2 parts, 2 light sets doing Winklaar DB rows; & then 2 heavy sets using traditional DB rows:
55x12
The Winklaar rows warmed up the rest of the back really well. The extra twist & extended range of motion opens up the lats/back real nice. Went to the heavy sets, & felt a better contraction than usual. Didn't feel the need to go real heavy. Threw in the last set just to finish off the lift, didn't feel complete without it.

Barbell rows:
135x12
Didn't go real heavy here, since I just anymore & keeep good form. Good contractions, good lift.

Finished up with underhand EZ bar cable pullovers:
50x20
90x12
Tried something different, using an underhand grip. I tried to force a better contraction, but it really didn't work. It just got harder to grip the bar, which is something I don't need. Good contractions though, brutal at the end as usual. Good way to finish the AM.

PM was cardio, abs, & arms. Started off with a quick 15 minute circuit, a mandatory circuit. School with these crazy rules. It goes stationary bike, machine lift, bike, etc. Nothing really intensive, just a good way to warm up & get the blood & sweat going.

Hit arms quick like.
Machine preacher curls:
70x8

Cable concentration curls:
25x10
30x8
15x12

EZ bar cable curls for 7s, 20-45 10-12 reps a piece. Overall good contractions for biceps. Contractions feel different when you go ezclusively cables & machines.

Triceps started off with dips, 3 sets of 12-15.

Rope pushdowns:

Underhand pushdowns:
30x12

Rope overhead extensions for 7s. I didn't pay attention to loads, it didn't feel right for awhile, so after 3 sets I stopped increasing the weight & finished the lift. Good contractions, real good contractions. Triceps worked well that day.

Did some quick abs, & 10 minutes on the treadmill. I didn't wanna go real hard, little poor excuse for a gym started getting crowded so I jetted. Got my workout in, logged my hours & called it a day.

« Reply #39: February 17, 2011, 03:11:54 PM »
Yesterday was just the PM session.

Did one circuit, & moved to arms.
Crossbody hammer cable curls
15x12
Good, intense contraction. Did one arm aat a time, which worked well. Got a good pump goin, so I was pleased.

Reverse EZ bar cable curls for 7s: 20-25 12 reps each, 35-40 8-10 reps each, 20x12. Good contractions, real tight there towards the end.

Straight bar cable curls:
25x15
Good contractions, still not as complete as with free weights. When I use free weightsi feel it more from top of the bicep to the bottom. However, with the cables it feels more intense.

EZ bar cable curls for 7s, same as reverse curls. Contractions were good, but just as with the other cable curls it just doesn't feel as complete.

Diamond pushups to start triceps, 4 sets of 12-15 reps. Good way to get a pump goin, but my left elbow started hurting.
Moved to dips, 4 sets of 12. Felt a more complete contraction than the day before. Got great depth on the dips, got a great stretch in the chest & triceps.

Closed out with overhead rope extensions, same loads as the other 7s sets. Great contractions, I'm finally figuring this lift out. Didn't use this lift for awhile since I could never quite get comfortable, but since its what I have available I guess I just forced myself to figure it out. Elbow started bugging me again, but it didn't become too much of an issue. It feels fine today, so I'll see what happens tonight.

Finished with 20 min on the elyptical. Increased the intensity over the first 10 minutes, then stayed there for 5 minutes. Used the last 5 to cooldown. Good way to finish the day.

« Reply #40: February 17, 2011, 10:09:39 PM »
Today was chest in the AM.

Started off with incline hammer press:
98x12
148x12
188x12
278x8
188x12
98x12
The arms on the machine felt loose when I was pressing, didn't affect the lift but I didn't want it breaking on me. Contractions were great, but on the last rep of my heavy set I couldn't lock it out. Strip sets until to starting weight. I don't mind alotta sets on my first workout, since the first 2-3 sets serve as warm up sets.

Incline flyes:
30x15
The lift went good, but it felt off though. I couldn't get a good contraction though until the very last set. It was rather disappointing, but it was OK. Might use lighter loads next week.

Flat DB presses:
90x8
100x5
52.5x15
I did it! I used the big boy weights! Horay me! I was determined to press the 100s, so I started kinda high so I wasn't so worn out. Wasn't that hard, but after rep 5 it was clear that was it. I had to drop em, & they just plopped. Dropped down & got a killer contraction. Good lift.

Decline barbell press:
155x8
135x11
I went light intentionally, aiming more for reps. Apparantly the 100s zapped me of energy, & I had troubles locking out the last rep right off the bat. I almost didn't lock out on 145, so I chilled & just did what I could. Great contractions, but God the loads were pathetic.

Pec dec flyes for 7s, going from 60-120. Kept the reps high, 12-20 actually. Great contraction, & I didn't feel it as much in the biceps as I usually do.

And so that concludes the AM lift.

dansley
Posts: 917
« Reply #41: February 18, 2011, 06:41:30 AM »
Pretty sick workouts man. I'm sub'd.
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 201 lbs
Bf%: 8.3

« Reply #42: February 18, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »
Thanks dansley.

Thursday's PM session was the same as its been all week. Skipped out on abs, since I had class later that night. Administering medical history questionnares is interesting to say the least.

This morning was delts & traps.

Started things off with rear delts.
Big Mac flyes:
20x15; no weight & full range x 10
25x15; "                                                "
30x15; "                                                "
15x15
Good contractions, droppping the DBs to zero & goin full range is a nice way to get a tighter contraction, & just fully exhhaust the muscle.

Rear delt cable flyes:
40x10
30x10
20x8
Didn't finish as strong as I would like. With C4 I could go 12 reps on all, but man it was tough getting 8 out on the last set.

Moved to DB presses:
35x15
25x15
Used an ultra light weight. I held the DBs in a way to keep tension in the delts only & kept it constant throughout the reps. No lock out, & at an angle inwards overhead. I really felt the rear delts shouldering a lot of the load, which is fine since I think they lag behind my medial & front delts. No elbow or wrist issues, & the contractions were just brutal.

Decided to hit side laterals first:
25x15
Great contractins. I had my form locked in, & it showed. Did them one arm at a time again, I feel I can get fuller range of motion & get a fuller development this way. Hit the traps some finishing the heavier sets, not a big deal but I would like to limit other muscle involvment.

Front bar raises:
20x15
These wre OK. I either messed up grip or something, since I didn't feel it in the front delts as much as I would like. Looking back it was waisted effort, but it wasn't a total waist.

Did front DB raises:
35x12
20x12
These went OK, good contractions but I shoulda kept it lighter. I found myself swinging the weights too much on the heavier sets.

Finished with machine laterals, 30-80lbs for 12 reps a piece. Finally found the right seat adjustment, & I wasn't smooshing myself into the machine...as much. Good contractions, leaned into the machine the whole time.

Started traps off with barbell shrugs:
315x12
185x12
Used the smith machine here. Good contractions, didn't wanna go too heavy &  focus more on form. Really felt the traps pinch together at the top on all sets.

Upright rows:
155x10
135x10
Initially felt it more on the delts than traps. Once I brought my hands closer toget (just inside shoulder width) I felt it in the traps. Good contractions once I fixed the grip, & I didn't struggle too much with the heavy weights.

Hit face pulls:
50x20
100x15
150x15
80x15
Real good contractions. Used a pronated grip instead of a neutral grip I see some people use. With the pronated grip I feel it more in the traps, which was what I was going for. Didn't go too heavy, more or less couldn't. I'm beginning the process of weining myself off of stims, & no PWOs take their toll at the end of workouts.

Finished with DB shrugs:
85x12
90x10
95x10
100x10
105x10
52.5x12
My gym recently moved the heavy DBs down to the bottom racks, which actually sux. They ysed to be up on the top or waist-high rack, which made racking/unracking easy. Having them down low makes it interesting to say the least. Racking the 105s I almost face planted the wall. Not cool 24 Hour Fitness, not cool. Good contractions though, hardest weight was the last set. My shoulders simply didn't want to move. You gotta love working to true failure.

« Reply #43: February 21, 2011, 04:00:51 PM »
Heavy leg day today. Everyone was in the gym today, so squats got somewhat delayed. Hadta just piddle around until a squat rack opened up.

Started off with hack squat machine calf extensions:
360x15
540x15
450x12
360x15
90x20
Good lift. Due to lack of open gym equipment I only did one calf workout. I might work em again later this week. Good lift, good contractions. Racking the sled was no problem today, & no smashed fingers. I've found a good foot position, & I'm getting used to goin straight to that position. Its becoming close to second nature now, as I'm not having to keep looking down to take a stance.

Warmed up quads with leg extensions:
100x20
130x20
160x15
85x15
Good energy here. Loads felt light, but I wanted to conserve some of this energy for the heavy stuff. I got my volume right where I want it, so I'm good to go for this week. Great contractions, nice & deep feeling.

Squats took awhile gettin around to. But the clouds did part long enough for some squats:
195x8
225x6
245x5
275x2
135x8
Squats went welll. I'm gettin used to my retooled form, & its becoming more natural for me. I'm still not used to hitting full depth, & that's the reason for all those light sets at the end. I wanted to get a good feel for it, & its beginning to come around.

Deadlifts:
255x5
325x2
370x1
425x1
455x1
Hit another PR today. So far that's 10lbs each week, right how I want it. I know I'm kinda cutting right now, but if the oppurtunity is there I'm taking it. Lifts felt good, but I wasn't breathing right at 425 as I felt pressure build up in my ears. I got my breathing down & 455 went a smoothly as it could.

Hit stiff-leg deads next:
135x12
Great lift, great contractions. Felt it right on my hamstrings & glutes, & no strain on my lower back. I had great form & I seemed to be locked in on it today.

Finished hamstrings with seated leg curls:
160x12
115x12
100x12
Good contractions, great way to finish hamstrings. Hit the 7s real good, & the resp & sets flowed real good. I think this is how I want my 7s to look from now on, continuously increasing the weight isn't the smartest thing. I can better fully exhaust the muscles this way, as when I do drop sets like this I better block out pain & fatigue. Don't ask me how or why, its just a mental thing.

Closed the day out with front squats:
155x8
185x6
135x12
Goood contractions, good depth. I used an olympic clean grip, & I didn't hafta fidget with the grip as much. My knees extended over my toes some, but I don't think that's avoidable on this lift without sacrificing balance. Other than that I think I had good form, felt the contraction evenly across quads, hamstrings & glutes.

Wrestler152
Posts: 861
« Reply #44: February 21, 2011, 04:04:52 PM »
Great logging subbed

Sign up or Log in to post a reply.

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!