2011 Transformation Contest Log~VIKING POWER: Blood & Guts + Finnish Deadlift

Read 138823 times

Locker Roommates
Yeah its me again. I am currently running a log under the title "Wasteland Survival Guide" which is pretty far along. However, $200 is at stake. So until this shindig is over, I'm gonna be tracking my progress here, under the 2011 New Year Transformation contest section. So if you follow me on my other journal, I'm over here now. I feel the competitive juices flowing already.

I will run this contest like a pre-contest prep. I will attempt to "grow into the show"...or you know, the deadline.
I will do this alittle unconventionally, by cutting first. I'll be carrying some excess fat from the holidays, & I'll wanna get rid of it. So I'll start off with a cut, that should take me until March. From there I'll cycle off stims & prep for a lean bulk. At which point I'll start to pack on muscle, & maintain aa low BF%. Its hard, & I haven't done anything like this, but I'm game. When I graduated high school I weighed 230lbs, & dropped to 180 in one year. I've since then bulked up to 200lbs, & I am currently in the best shape I've ever been. I've tackled tall tasks before, so I know I can do this.
I'll Survive the cut, Thrive under the new circumstances, & Revive my body in time to pocket $200 (or 2 free SR.com shirts).

My Current Stats:
HT: 5'9"
WT: 206
BF: 14.6%

Bench: 275
Deadlift: 405
Squat: 495

Pics & routine will come soon.

Until then, Merry Christmas!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:39:50 AM by deumcole »
"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

« Reply #1: December 23, 2010, 01:23:18 PM »
One before pic...

This is the last I will look like this...

I'll use an FST-7 routine I took off their website, FST-7.com
A quick rundown of the routine:

•Biceps

•Calves
 Standing calf raise 4 x 10-12
 Seated calf raise 4 x 15-20
 Leg press or calf sled raise 7 x 10-12

The exact lifts are not set in stone. I believe you should lift how you feel, so if I feel like using cables instead of hammer strength rows I'll do so.

I'll go with a 5 day split, working biceps on chest days , triceps on shoulder days, & then again on their own day. I'll cardio 4-5 days per week; on the weekends as a martial arts class, & during the week except on leg days. During the week I'll keep my cardio under 30min, but on the weekends it could go as long as 2 hours. If thas the case I'll skip a cardio druing the week.

Raptorbh12
Posts: 3321
Global Moderator
« Reply #2: December 23, 2010, 09:54:10 PM »
Sweet man. First one to actually put up a pic, repped.
I know your dedicated so this log has alll the ingredients to run away and win this thing.

We should place bets on our members starting out, but I guess that would pollute the unbiased voting process.
Get em deumcole!
Semper Fidelis

« Reply #3: December 23, 2010, 11:18:58 PM »
Sweet man. First one to actually put up a pic, repped.

Get em deumcole!

Thanx man, means a lot from you.

As for bets...that all depends on what kinda money's at stake o_O

« Reply #4: December 25, 2010, 05:32:46 PM »
Santa came through for Christmas, so I got the first leg of my stack down:

•Recreate
•Oxy Elite Pro
•Anabolic Pump
•Myofusion(5lb, chocolate peanut butter)
•C4 (followed by Superpump Max)
•Kirkland Multi
•Vitamin C
•Vitamin E
•ON 100% Whey
•Kirkland Fishoil

I'll run this stack for 90 days or so. 1 OEP upon wakening, 1 Recreate 6-8 hours later. If I can run 2 of each I will, but I don't think that would be wise. I would like to run this cycle alittle long, so I can get more out of it.
I might throw in some Modern BCAA, or a preworkout like Jack3d or NO Xplode NT (if the good price lasts). I could go all USP Labs, but as of now they ain't paying me yet.

I'll switch to a maintenance phase when this cycle runs out, & I might run a good bulk after Lent. Arimadex has caught my eye as of late, so I think I might give it a go. We'll see when we get there.

For now, Merry Christmas.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:05:38 PM by deumcole »

« Reply #5: December 27, 2010, 05:07:13 PM »
First workout in, no supps yet. My dog this morning was extra clingy this morning for whatever reason. Used up a good quarter of a jar of peanut butter trying to occupy him. I have a husky, & they scream like a banshee if given the oppurtunity. At 6AM that's not something I need.

Chest & biceps today. Started off on hammer incline bench, kept the load light. The whole goal of FST-7 is not weight, but rather form. So I did my best to honour Hany Rambod's wishes. Decent loads, surprised myself with 12 reps on all 4 sets. Good things.
Alittle weird working DB flyes next, but inlcine flyes were up. Same principle, but I pushed it alittle harder here. The loads were sporatic, going light at first but then heavy in the end. Worked 50lbsx10 for my last set. Got the best stretch in to date, so something must be working.
Flat hammer presses up next, same loads as incline presses but harder. Reps averaged 8-10, but my muscles were fatigued to the max. Contractions were on point, which in the end is all you really ask for.
Closed out with cable crossovers. Brought in the 7nth aspect of FST-7, which translates to "fry the muscles." Worked to 80lbsx12, but it took everything I had. Pump was at its best, & vascularity was rivalling Branch Warren. If its gonna help me look like Branch, the agony is worth it.

Took a break to switch out wraps for straps, & hit the biceps next. First was alternating DB curls. Tried supersetting with hammer curls, & it went well but I think I might be overtraining at that point. Lift was OK, but it could've been better.
Did machine preacher curls next. Very good lift. Contractions were on point, & I was able to keep the reps up at around 12, which I would normally have troubles with. I've found leaning into machines helps me keep better form. I do this by pressing my chest into the machine & keeping my feet behind me. This has worked for hammer strength rows & pulldowns, as well as preacher curls.
Did incline hammer curls. In hindsight this may have been pointless. The brachiallis is a small muscle, & working it like the biceps brachii seems like over kill. I haven't benefitted from it, so I may give it a rest.
EZ bar curls next, keeping load moderate. I missed the 7nth principle, & now I feel incomplete. Worked this hard anyways, keeping the reps up. It feels good when you don't hafta cheat the weight up, & it does wonders for yer ego. Maxed out at 80lbsx12, but like I said: moderate load high volume.
Closed out with rope hammer curls. Not as useless as the other brachialis moves, so I might keep this one around. Same format as the EZ bar curls, exact same weight. Really focused on controlling the negative, something Dorian Yates is big on. Works well if you do it right.

All in all today was good. My mom stayed home & wanted to go out, so diet suffered some. I ate good though, so hopefully I'm up for a good make up day tomorrow.

« Reply #6: December 28, 2010, 08:28:31 PM »
Did back & calves today. I hate my room. During the summer, its the hottest room in the house. During the winter...its a friggin meat locker. But its what I get when the house is some 50 yrs old. Anyways, back to working out...

Started the day off with neutral grip pull ups. I don't typically do pull ups, since I suck at them. I can move the whole stack on pulldowns, but pull ups are pathetic. Bumped 3 quick sets anyhow, doing better than I typically do. They go to failure, & I managed to keep the reps around 8.
Did wide grip pulldowns next. 3 sets, & kept the reps around 10-12. Went 135, 195, 225. Contractions were on point, right in the lats. Grip felt weak though, but thas what straps are for right?
Moved to bent over rows. Tried to keep the elbow/shoulder joint actions as abduction/adduction. Kept form well enough, bar to the bottom of my chest. Did my best to keep the contraction in the scapulas & off the lats. 3 sets, 135x12, 225x12, 285x10.
Jumped into hammer strength rows. Kept it somewhat light, leaned into the machine & all. This lift didn't go so well. Did both sides at once, & I didn't quite get the same contraction I would usually. There's always one disappointing lift.
Hit the pullovers/straight arm pulldowsn, whatever you call them. Did the 7s on this one, & it was brutal. Got to the 7nth set, & barely eeked out 8. Took a short break, & my back was pumped full. Front lat spread looked like big ron...minus the shear size.

Hit calves quick like. Standing calf raises first up. I wish we had a machine for these, I hate improvising with a smith machine but whatever works. Only up to 405, 12 reps decent enough.
Seated calf raises next. 4x20, first 10 slow negative next 10 quick as possible. Slow negatives are always brutal, but the contraction is the best.
Leg press calf extensions closed the day out. 7s again, working up to 22 total 45 plates. Might try loading more plates on next time. 12 reps on the 7th set wet ok, but I know I can load on more. Got a different contraction than I normally would. Instead of an intense burn, but it was definitely a good contraction. Calves actually felt pumped, like say the biceps would be. Good way to end a workout.

« Reply #7: December 29, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »
Shoulders/Rear Delts/Triceps up today.

Started off with the DB presses, moderate load goin 40lbsx12 50lbsx12 60lbsx12 70lbsx10. Set started out okay & ended well. 70lbs went okay, not as strong as I would like but considering it went OK. Trying to find that balnce between an intense load & intense volume.
Front raises w/barbell next. No supinated grip, just good ol fashioned front raises. Kept the load super light here, I tend to wimp out here & nowhere else. Started at 30lbs & ended at 50lbs, kept the reps at 12 all throughout.
Side laterals, 3 quick sets. Regulare side laterals are becoming somewhat easy, so I might try & go back to lying on an incline bench again (kai greene & charles glass status). Sets went 20x12, 30x12, 40x12.
Did machine laterals for the first time. At my gym we have a seated version, wouldn't mind a standing version though. Interesting contraction with this machine,, same muscles as side laterals, but different. 7s came into play, so I started real light & ended with a decent load. Good lift...looks like this machine wasn't just wasting space.

Jumped into rear delts next. They're kept separate for whatever reason, but you work 2/3 of the deltoids so why not complete the sweep. Rear delt flyes went good, kept the load moderate & reps around 12.
Finished deltoids with rear delt cable flyes, 7 sets. Got to set 4 & had to start working backwards.

Triceps ?ast. Closed grip bench first, 4 sets 135x12 155x12 165x12 185x8. Didn't wrap my wrists & after the second set my leftwrist started killing me right under the thumb.
Did pushdwons instead of dips. 100x12, 120x12, 140x12, 160x12. Awesome pump/contractions, & I'm getting much better at keeping strict form.
Closed things out with skullcrushers. 65x12, 75x12, 85x12, 95x12, 105x12, 85x12, 65x12. Best form yet, touched the bar to my brow every rep, but it took all I had. Felt the contraction throughout the entire head of the triceps brachii, elbow to shoulder.

On the FST-7 I've been learning to distinguish a good contraction from a good pump, which is what you really want. It feels much better, & you feel much better for it. 3 workouts in & I'm already getting better quality lifts in. Watchout, I'm gaining momentum here...

« Reply #8: December 30, 2010, 11:37:47 PM »
Legs & traps up today.

Started things off with leg extensions. 3 sets, 100x15 130x12 160x12. More warm up than anything, didn't really push it right away. Felt the contraction across all heads of the quads.
Back squats next. 4 sets: 135x12, 225x12, 275x10, 315x10. Didn't hit good depth on the frist two sets, which disappointed me. I'm real particular about "butt to floor" depth or atleast breaking parallel. Hit proper depth on the last two, als opened my stance up some. Made a huge difference.
Leg presses next. 3 sets, 360x12 500x12 630x10. Kept the feet wide, trying to hit the vastus medialus more...it worked to an extent. Good lift, but I might try closing out quads with the leg press next week.
Finished quads with leg extensions, 7s starting at 85lbs & ending at 190lbs. Kept the reps around 12 right until the last set, & then it took all I had to eek out 8.

Jumped into hamstring curls, quads still bags of blood. Same format as the firts series of leg extensions, going: 85x12, 100x12, 115x12, 130x12. Good contractionn, but the uber pumped quads made it somewhat painful.
Stiff leg deads next, goin 135x12 155x12 185x10 225x8: I'm getting better at these, reps weren't little wars of atrition. Good contractions, but I might switch off with good mornings to hit the glutes some more.
Hit lying single leg curls. I think these are supposed to be standing, but alas you use what you have. The loads sucked, so I won't post em. 4x12, decent but by no means easy.
Closed out with seated leg curls for 7s, same as final series of leg extensions. Finished my last set hunched over the machine trying to get out one more rep.

Hit traps quick like. DB shrugs goin 70x12 100x12 115x12 75x12. Someone stolez the 120s, so I improvised. Following "correct" form is tough, & all of a sudden traps are difficult.
Closed out with barbell shrugs fo 7s. No machine, & I wasn't gonna straddle the hammer deccline like Steve Kuclo. Sets went: 135x12 225x12 315x12 365x8 405x8 315x12 225x12. It was hell towards the end & my traps actually got pumped. I can feel the anabolism...almost.

« Reply #9: January 01, 2011, 01:44:31 PM »
Finished the week yesterday with an arms day.

Started off with biceps, more in line with what the FST-7 sample routine. First up alternating DB curls, 4 sets at: 20x12, 25x12, 32.5x12, 40x12. My left forearm was particularly sore, so it went alittle weird...but OK inspite. Controlling the negative sucked today, but the conntractions were on point & vascularity got pumpin real good.
Did preacher curls. 4 sets: 45x12, 70x12, 90x10, 45x11. The preacher curls were goin nice & easy, up until the last set of 45lbs, & then I got halfway on rep #12 & it wouldn't got any further. Kept rest periods around 45-60 sec.
Finished with EZ bar curls for 7s. Started at 65x12 & ended at 125x8. The 125 felt like it could have gone for all 12. I don't like that feeling, like you left something out there.

Did cross body hammer curls & rope hammer curls to finish the curls. Cross body hammers went good, topped off at 55x12. Did 7s on the rope hammers, much better than the EZ bar curls. Good lifts.

Triceps started off with closed grip bench @ 135x12, 155x12, 185x8, 135x12. Had a real hard time finishing this workout, I'll chalk it up to the end of the week. Good contractions, especially along the lateral(outside) heads.
Tried weighted dips next...TRIED. I don't know if it was fatigue or what, but the weighted dips sucked big. Other than that, nothing note worthy.
Closed out with skullcrushers for 7s. Same loads as the EZ bar curls. Went much better than earlier this week. Nice & smooth, good solid contractions.

Holding some water weight, hopefully once my stack gets in it will solve that. Put on some extra pounds over the holidays, I'm now floating around 207-208. It could be worse. Next weeks gonnna be exciting , I got my stack coming in Tuesday, & my free C4 Thursday...so watch out, its gonna be big.

« Reply #10: January 03, 2011, 06:01:46 PM »
Starting this week off with a back/biceps workout.

Did a 12 min cardio on the elyptical first, not quite what I was expecting. Kept the intensity rising every 2 minutes, then back down. Got my heart rate up around 150bpm, but unless I'm wrong target heart rate should be around 190bpm. Didn't feel like I got much out of this, but we'll see tomorrow.

Neutral grip chins for a warm up. Reps were low this time around, floating around 6. Good contractions, but I noticed I was cheating towards one side. I'll try & correct this next week.
Underhand grip pull downs next. 3 sets goin 135x12, 165x10, 195x10. Not too heavy today, tried focusing more on reps & contractions, but I felt myself struggling towards the end of each set. I might try dropping the chin ups & just adding an extra series of pulldowns.
Hit smith machine barbell rows. 3 sets at 135x12, 225x12, 315x10. Felt like pushing the load, & I felt like I accomplished that. 315 went well enough, wasn't able to bring the bar all the way up but I got an awesome contraction none-the-less. It was alittle odd, but I'll take it.
I wanted to do cable rows, but the enntire cable station was occupied. So back to hammer strength rows. 3 sets, 45lbx12 115x12 180x12. Stood o the machine, but I felt like I could've brought the rows in lower more towards my hips. Standing I brought them alittle higher than I would like, but it was a good lift anyways.
Finished up with rope pullovers for 7s. Worked up to 180lbs & hit a wall. Form began to falter bad & I hadta cut it short at 8 reps. Finished with a drop set to 90lbs for the 7th set. Kept the reps high at 12 right up to the end.

Started biceps with alternating DB curls, 3 sets 25x12 30x12 45x12. Tried rotating my wrists moe towards the outside at the top of the curl. Hit the brachialis mor tthan the biceps brachii, which I found kinda odd. Went OK, but alittle weird with the wrinkle I threw in.
Preacher curls up next. 4 sets 45x12 70x12 90x10 45x12. I'm falling in love with preacher curls. I love the contraction, & I love the how my biceps look huge sitting on the sled in the mirror. Its the little things.
Finished EZ bar curls, 7s. Same load as usual. Was cheating the weight some towards the end, which wasn't that big a deal to me. Biceps were fully pumped & vascular, which is all you can ask for.

My stack should come in tomorrow, but I'm not sure. According to the FedEx tracker, its still in Boise ID, or I'm reading it wrong. Its supposed to be coming in tomorrow, but its either still enroute, or I hafta check it again. Eitherway ims so exciteds!

madhungry
Posts: 407
« Reply #11: January 03, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »
^ proof that nobody runs a log as detailed as 'cole. + rep'd. I'll be tuning into this one as well as Cray's. who's gonna come out on top?!!

« Reply #12: January 03, 2011, 08:00:47 PM »

Its the only way to run a log/journal...its also the asian in me.

You can tell Cray this competition is money in the bank  ;D

« Reply #13: January 04, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »
Chest/traps & abs today. Started. My MBCAA part of my stack Monday, & the grapeubblegum ain't that bad. I'm still waiting for the rest of my stack, but it gots delayed in Utah...so I wait one more day.

Started things off with smith machine incline bench. Took me awhile to find the right angle, but I got it. It seems the more I open up the angle, the more I feel it in my shoulders...which I find kinda odd. 4 sets, 155x12 185x10 225x8 135x12. The first set was easy enough, the second set went much easier than it normally does. But, the last set took everything I had...which is good. I got to rep 6 & I could feel the muscles saying no. I then remembered a post Evan Centopani (?, Ox) posted on the Animal Pak website. He was talking about goin to true absolute failure as opposed to staying with confines of a routine. It was a "balls to the wall" kinda post, & I had to do Evan Centopani proud. So I pushed for 8...but it was an intense 8.
Incline flyes went 4 sets at 30x12, 35x12, 45x10, 50x12. Reps went smooth & I really felt the contractions along the outer edges of pecs. Cheated on the heavier weights, so I'm thinking next time around I will drop the weight & try & go for stricter form. I don't usually use a strict form, as long as I can isolate the movement in the pecs. All in all good lift. I'm finding a groove for flyes & as of now I got the heaviest flyes in the gym...I'm friggin untouchable! (For now)
Hit flat hammer presses. 5 sets, 97x12 147x12 237x12 287x8 97x12. First 3 & last sets went well. Good range of motion & good contractions. The heavy set was extremely difficult, crappy range of motion but good contraction (at that weight it better be). I'll switch to barbell next week.
Finished with pec deck flyes for 7s. Started at around 60lbs & finished around 150lbs. Kept reps high, 12 reps. Towards the end of the series the contraction went into high gear. It was very different, but hard to describe. The pectoralis actually felt like it was thoroughly fatigued...awesome?

Started with barbell shrugs instead of DB shrugs. Easy lift, more warm up than anything. 4 sets at 135x12, 225x12, 315x10, 135x12. Kept good form according to Hany Rambod, holding the contraction for one second at the top. That little tid bit is an absolute killer.
Finished traps with DB shrugs for 7s, worked bakwards though, kinda like a rack & run. Started at 120lbs & ended at 80lbs. All sets for 12 reps, but my face was contorting on every rep. I don't get it, I'm poker faced on all other exercises, but on shrugs my face just wigs out. Its kinda funny though.

Hit abs lastly. Reverse crunches for 3x25 first. Felt it boarderlined on leg raises, so I probably should've just done those. Hit cable crunches, 100x25 130x20 180x12. Real good, hard conntraction. Did those "ring the bell" for the obliques. Same loads as cable crunches. Closed out with hammer strength ab crunches for 7s. 40lbs stopping at 100lbs, 8-10 reps. Kept rest real short & worked up a good sweat. That said & done, I gotta find better ab workouts...

So according to Fed Ex, my stack should come in tomorrow. Also my C4 should be coming in Thursday as well...so horay me. I also was pleasantly surprised when I found out I got a free tub of Superpump MAX...UNBELIEVA-AWESOME. So while I will start my official cut cycle next week, I'll use the S-MAX until the end of the week, & the C4 before my martial arts this weekend. At which point I'll also start a C4 log, focused more on how the C4 is working. After the cut ends, I'll cycle off stims for 2-3 weeks, & then finishe the S-MAX. Once that is finished I should've saved up enough for a decent bulking cycle. I wanna run Arimadex HD, but I'm also dying to run Animal Stak. So I'll croos that bridge when I get there.

ONE MORE THING. I got an email from Bethesda Softworks about a epic game series most of us should now & some us love...the next chapter in Elder Scrolls is due this november! Here's an awesome preview:

« Reply #14: January 05, 2011, 07:59:06 PM »
Rear delts/shoulders/triceps up for today. Weather's been OK, cold but not freezing. So I found it very odd that my car was 75% FROZEN! If I lived in like Idaho or Ohio, I'd expect this...but not here in SoCal, especially in the Valley.

Once the car defrosted, I hit rear delts first. I read a piece in which Lee Priest brought up th idea of working rear delts first. Seeming how he's a bit of an expert...I gave it a try. Bent over flyes first. 4 sets: 10x15, 15x15, 20x12, 30x10. Real good contractions, nice rythm. 30 was a bit much, but you don't make imrpovements playing it safe.
Finished with rear delt cable flyes for 7s. Better contraction, used that cable station with the Y arms. The load/resistance is very different, it fights you more than the regular cable station. So 20lbs ends up feeling like 40-50lbs. Couldn't go full range of motion on the last 2-3 sets, but that just means it was a better workout.

Jumped right into shoulder presses, 40lbsx12 60x12 75x10 35x12. Was a little tougher than normal, but that was due in large part to working the rear delts first. Good contractions, no need to drop the weights.
Hit DB front raises. 4 sets: 20x12, 30x12 40x12 45x12. Easy lift, relatively speaking. I wanted to use heavier weights, but as high a rep range I was using 45 was even pushing it. I have done 80 before, but I probably wasn't using the best form. Good contractions, but not the best.
Did side laterals next, forgetting I wanted to do lying side laterals...figures. Anyhow...4 sets 25x12, 30x12, 35x12, 40x12. Much like last week, good contraction but I'm feeling as if I might be plateauing on this lift.
Finished with machine laterals for 7s, starting at 50lbs & ending at 140lbs. Much more difficult this time around, relfecting the increase in load. I also think I sat alittle lower this time around, so next week I'll take the time to adjust the seat.

Jumped into triceps, closed grip bench on the smith machine first. 5 sets: 135x12, 155x12, 185x10, 225x6, 135x12. Went real good this week around, found a good hand position & kept strict form. However, I got to 225 & it kinda fell apart. I got to rep 6 & I knew I wasn't gonna get to 8. So I just dropped back to 135 & pumped out 12 reps as fast as possible.
After my dips debaucle last week, I wanted to play it safe & do a move I knew I was great at...so I did wide bar pushdowns. I used the wide-grip lat bar instead of the regulare short bars. Feels very diffrent, not sure if its easier or harder. 4 sets, 100x12 140x12 170x12 215x12. I had to modify the stack for the last set, seeming as how the pin wouldn't take on the 200lb plate. So I pinned a 25lb plate(free weight) & figured what the hell. Didn't think I was gonna get to 12, but a well placed rest-pause got me there. Awesome contractions, especially on the las set.
Finished with overhead rope extensions 7s. Skullcrushers have been killing my wrists, so I wanted to give em a break. I started light: 50, 60, 70 & finished strong: 100, 120, 130, 80. Really felt both heads of the triceps contracting to the max, especially around where they visibly "connect" or at the top of the horse-shoe shape. I really felt the inside head pump full, which it usually doesn't. So needless to say I was very happy with this lift.

All my supps came in today, particularly the C4. The can looks cool, & I think this may be the first product I'm using that has beta-alanine (that I noticed). I will promptly start a log/journal on it tomorrow, to fullfil my obligations. I am really looking foward to this. So look for the "Psycotic Prankster's Exploding Pants: A C4 Trist" log.

Your silence, forced this war.

Sign up or Log in to post a reply.

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!