How-to Guides and Articles

Forum

rotator cuff issues

Read 313 times

mjtuf1
Rep: +481
Trust: 100%
rotator cuff issues « : February 11, 2019, 04:38:02 PM »
I have been diagnosed (as expected after doing online research) with rotator cuff tendonitis.

I've been going to the gym 10+ years, never had an issue like this, and in fact even though I still lift heavy I've been lifting lighter in the months leading up to this.. Apparently a lot of gym movements are so focused on internal rotation of the shoulder, that it's easy to neglect external rotation movements, and this is how after a long time, a rotator cuff issue can develop. The doctor advised that I workout and hit the rotator cuff muscles more.

Just some advice, on something new I learned.

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

Wis3guy
Rep: +3,093
Locker Roommates
« Reply #1: February 12, 2019, 01:37:18 AM »
Check out Jeff Cavalier.  He has videos on YouTube.  If I remember correctly he has one on this issue and how to help fix it....

MarsheS
Rep: +1,529
« Reply #2: February 12, 2019, 09:54:29 AM »
We used to always argue yet we have the same problems lol. When you said you were lifting strong but feeling heavy, I felt identified and decided to cut. Then you had another problem (cant remember right now) and I also felt identified... and now this, I have an injury on one of my shoulders. First it was the right shoulder. I decided to remove barbell bench presses from my workout and it worked because the pain went away. But the next week after that, the pain moved to the left shoulder! lol. I did the same but the pain is still with me. I took 1-2 weeks off several times and the pain decreased a lot but once I start working out again, it comes back.

So now I'll just keep lifting. I have the injury since August. Joint Support supplements help a bit. Let's see when the pain will go away... And yes, I've had to decrease the weights a lot and a lot of exercises feel heavier now :(

ForeverSmall
Rep: +114
« Reply #3: February 13, 2019, 06:47:55 PM »
This is an easy one. Well something easy to incorporate that should help immensely... Rotator cuff rehab exercises (google) as well as rear delt exercises. The rehab exercises will strengthen those muscles and ive found that a lot of shoulder issues come from an imbalance of the three "heads", due to all the pressing movements most do. I had the same issues  and incorporated what ive told you here almost 8 years ago and my shoulders do not bother me near as much as they use to. Another added benefit it that I actually became stronger in all pressing exercises.

ForeverSmall
Rep: +114
« Reply #4: February 13, 2019, 06:59:01 PM »
https://www.setforset.com/blogs/news/7-rotator-cuff-resistance-bands-exercises-for-rehab-prehab-and-strengthening
I do exercises #2, #4  as well as face pulls. I like doing them before back days to warm up shoulders, and face pulls a lot after chest days for the stretch.

..And as Wis3Guy stated. Jeff Cavalier has some great videos

bctuthill
Rep: +2,129
Locker Roommates
« Reply #5: February 14, 2019, 04:08:57 AM »
Issues with your rotator cuff can be fixed with exercise, but tendonitis would require rest and ice.  I've had rotator issues my whole life but over the past two years have been able to pretty much fix it entirely.  I went 2:1 on pulling vs pushing exercises each week for quite a while, and now I always do a rotator cuff warmup prior to getting into my lift.  I've found that bands work much better than cables or weights for me as well.  Today I don't have any issues with my rotator cuff and it actually feels strong.

A couple things to keep in mind: never train RC to exhaustion as this can lead to injury since it's such an important series of muscles that keeps your shoulder in proper position; and, never train heavy on RC because you will end up bypassing the RC entirely and incorporating larger muscles unintentionally.

I'm sure you'll bounce back fast once you've started working on strengthening the muscles.

mjtuf1
« Reply #6: February 14, 2019, 04:59:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help.

Ive bought bands to do rehab work at home, and will be hitting rear delts alot more in gym with high reps low weight.

The doctor and pt both recomended hitting those areas and correcting the imbalance

mjtuf1
« Reply #7: February 20, 2019, 08:51:22 AM »
UPDATE:

Quick update just to pass this on if anyone is or should be dealing with this issue.... of course consult with a professional DOCTOR for any injury.. This is what a doctor had told me, and what is working for me:

Backstory: 30 yrs old, been going to the gym lifting for 10 years now, never really had any shoulder issues (last yr had a strained bicep where the bicep meets the shoulder in my other arm, that was from going to the gym way too much in addition to a physical job).. This past December, I started to develop shoulder pain, that I've never had before.. It was more of a mild issue, something I was able to work through at first, and just thought it to be routine soreness that was a little bit more than usual. But the mild aches lasted about 6 weeks, and the last few workouts it started getting worse to the point where I almost had to (and probably should of) quit mid workout.

I finally went to an orthopedist that specializes in sports medicine, and thankfully she was a good one.. she examined me, and told me I have rotator cuff issues due to an imbalance, too much INTERNAL rotation of the shoulder from all the main pressing movements, and not enough external rotation / rotator cuff work.

I would originally try and make a point of hitting all parts of the shoulder but i'll be honest plenty of times I was too focused on shoulder pressing and neglected those movements.

I went to 1 session of PT, and now have been doing the same rehab on my own at home, in addition to 1 very good tip the PT gave me... He suggested starting workouts with a few rear delt movements, FIRST, before doing main pressing movements to engage /warm up that part of the shoulder.

I've been doing resistance band rehab movements at home, and in the gym really hitting rear delts more, (light weight, high reps, focusing on form and volume).. Yesterday I did some light rear delt work before benching and I felt very good while benching.

The movements that were causing me shoulder pain was standing overhead press and incline bench press.. For these 2 movements lately I haven't had nearly as much pain, and if I do feel any pain then instead of doing my usual amount of sets/weight i'll either do less sets if the pain kicks in, or end off on a light weight set.

Basically, I've been able to continue working through this and have had much better results and the injury problem is going away, since I've been doing external rotation work, and making it a point to hit rear delts multiple times a week, and to start the workout before any main pressing movements.

In my case it took me 10+ years to start having this shoulder issue, and this issue came on when I wasn't even lifting my heaviest.

So to avoid / rehab this issue if you should experience it, focus more on external rotation of the shoulder / rear delts.

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!