The new SR - Your ideas

Read 1609 times

Zsteinf
Posts: 84
« Reply #30: December 02, 2018, 07:28:04 AM »
We have to get on board with WHATEVER goggle wants. Without google or other search sites, sites will die. Rob, ur on point. We as the SR family need to support Rob on his purpose of getting the site out there. Google is king

MarsheS
Posts: 382
« Reply #31: December 02, 2018, 08:48:54 AM »
I'm in shock after reading @RoarRob *facepalm*

Not worth my time, going completely the opposite direction of where we should go.

« Reply #32: December 02, 2018, 10:01:52 AM »
Which way do you think we should go MarsheS?

htevans
Posts: 370
Locker Roommates
« Reply #33: December 03, 2018, 09:34:58 AM »
1) On the topic of shorter reviews - go look at some of the OLD reviews. They are like 1 paragraph for a supplement. Reviews have to be more than "I liked this, it gave me good energy and tastes good." However, I agree we don't need an essay. Also, mixability is pretty important imo. Who wants to buy stuff that doesn't even mix in water? LOL.

2) Like it or not free stuff/TROOPs is huge. Go look at Amazon. Certain trusted reviewers there get free stuff for reviews. No one is going to A) buy some random PWO from a start-up when we all have at least 5 go-tos that we know and love. B) Endlessly review stuff with no hope of a reward of some kind. Reducing limits and such is a good idea. Removing low-traffic products from the vault? Sure, but that should be a more minor concern. Simply put, a big part of getting even the average person on here is the idea that they can eventually be rewarded for their participation. You would be incredibly stupid to remove that function without some kind of viable replacement. I say that not because I want or need free stuff, but because its just how the world works - people will participate for free things.
GWU Class of 2018

BlakePullen
Posts: 222
« Reply #34: December 03, 2018, 11:46:47 AM »
wherever it goes I hope the core of what this website is all about stays. I'll be waiting to see what happens when the dust settles
With every great scoop comes great responsibility

davidian
Posts: 1315
« Reply #35: December 03, 2018, 01:48:55 PM »
The long reviews limit who can participate with SR. Not many people want to take the time to write such an informative review.
Some people are not capable of writing long reviews but they could still add value to the website in different ways.

I can understand the requirements being different if you've claimed a product from the Trooper program. A brand giving out a product should get a longer review.

The reviews are one important element that we're looking at. More importantly, we've got to look at what Google wants. Without them on our side, no one will see the reviews.

We've also got to try to get as many brands on board. Their involvement is also key to the success of the site. The more they interact and link to us, the stronger the site becomes.

We've got to build a new site for these 3 key elements. It's not an easy task.

So long reviews are bad, but people who cant write should be encouraged to write short reviews so they feel included? But then at the same time we cant have unverified reviews because they're bad too? I'm seeing a lot of confusion right here. In my opinion a crap review is a crap review, I keep scrolling past anything that doesnt have the detail that you would expect from an experienced TROOPer and/or expert reviewer, because man, if you dont have the effort or energy to write a good review then how good was the product in the first place? And if you dont have the time/effort or ability to write a good review, then i'm not that interested in reading some half-baked garbage. I think the reviews themselves should be the most informative part of the site. When you figure out how to work google then you should be able to chuck in a particular supplement, or a supplement category, SR comes up, you click on a review and it's an in depth explanation on the product that you would expect from someone who knows what they're talking about, instead of some yahoo going lololol10111oneone this sheet gave me epic gainz bro omfg I think I was Ronnie himself buy this. The other thing is that having 20 reviews on the one product is nice, but no one is going to read all 20 of them. They might read 3-4 if you're lucky to get a good idea of how the product performs. It's making these top 3-4 reviews the most detailed, informative ones that's the goal in my opinion, otherwise we may as well just be any other supplement review site and if you're planning on going down that route you'd already know there's a million of them out there so good luck with that.

Getting brands on board is all about giving them a reason to spend money with you, which generally translate to them seeing a return IE people buying their product because they went to SR. I feel like the 'best deals' section of the site can use a lot more work to streamline the process. I also think involving some of the supplement supply websites (probably no bb.com obviously, but other ones like A1, lockout, nutra, etc etc) would be something to look at too. They dont have a large forum section on their sites with reviews for their products, so by having a direct link from a reviewed supplement to their site where you can see the product is available, the price, any deals on it etc makes the buy choice simple for someone once they've read the review. You could offer this directly to supplement companies too that would have a window/re-direct to their site for direct purchase. At the moment when I read a review on SR I open up another window and go searching for the supplement online, if I could just click through SR and get to the appropriate website and make the purchase that would streamline the process, and of course eliminate the chance I google the supplement and land on another review website that's not SR.

From what i've seen in your comments, you really dont know how to make this work right at the moment. You're asking a lot of questions, and asking people for suggestions, but there's not much 'we're going to do this' about your responses, which says to me you either dont have a solution, or you're working through it but hitting a lot of roadblocks along the way which isnt giving you the confidence to come out and say this is how it's gonna be etc. That's OK, but time is of the essence and I reckon every day extra that it takes there's another bunch of people who write of SR, and those people are hard to get back on board.

« Reply #36: December 03, 2018, 04:11:16 PM »
Hi David,

What if google doesn't want these long user reviews about health products anymore?

Did you look at the other thread with the google losers website list? https://moz.com/blog/googles-august-1st-core-update-week-1

Some big websites that have a lot of staff have been hit, prevention.com, menshealth, draxe etc. It doesn't look like they've manage to recover yet. Maybe some of them never will. There's a good chance that they are also looking at deleting a lot of the old content from their websites and creating new content that fits the new google guidelines.

This thread isn't about asking you for marketing advice. It's more about the features that you do and don't like on the current website and what you'd like to see on the new website. We're not expecting those features to bring the google rankings back, that is our job.

dmf8625
Posts: 259
« Reply #37: December 03, 2018, 08:45:53 PM »
Hi David,

That's rich coming from Google, a company known for helping people find information...but now they punish websites that provide too much information...WTF

I could imagine the meeting at Google HQ "Hey, let's change our algorithm so people will find less information about health products that they are thinking about using." Everyone else in the room "That's brilliant! Who cares about complete information, let's just give them the cliff notes and hope nothing bad happens to our users."

LOL

deBruijn
Posts: 81
« Reply #38: December 04, 2018, 12:06:55 AM »
I think we should try to keep this constructive.  Altough I personally like longer reviews, if shorter reviews bring in the necessairy traffic thats something to consider. Maybe a short and long version? Simpel ratings per aspect and a drop down for a more in depth expert review type of thing? Is that something that Will work for Google?

admin2
Posts: 17
« Reply #39: December 05, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »

LOL

I'm also feeling frustrated about Google's algo update, but SR (and a lot of other sites) I think are collateral damage.  Last year, I spent a lot of time calling out some straight-up fake supplement review sites:

For some reason my article on SupplementCritique.com is not loading:

ALL of these sites have seen HUGE decreases in traffic:
DietSpotlight.com: Down ~40% since July (https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/dietspotlight.com)
ConsumerHealthDigest: Down >75% from July (https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/consumerhealthdigest.com)
TheSupplementReviews.org Down >80% from July (https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/thesupplementreviews.org)
SupplementPolice: Down >90% since March (https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/supplementpolice.com)
SuppWithThat: Down >85% since July (https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/suppwiththat.com)
SupplementCritique: Down 80% since July (https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/supplementcritique.com)
SuppReviewers: Down >80% since July (https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/suppreviewers.com)

Google seems to have basically sad "ok, too many health sites out there might be fake.  Gotta punish them ALL".  Their algo isn't nuanced enough to be able to differentiate honest feedback written by a trusted group of reviewers from garbage sales pitches written by cheap writers who are trying to sell you junk.

« Reply #40: December 05, 2018, 02:34:38 PM »
There's no easy way for us to know what on the site is causing the problems.

We could go through the site and change things one by one to see if that improves the rankings but that could take months and we'd likely be in the same position that we are in now.

Google has taken a disliking to health websites written by people without any health credentials. We know it doesn't like the owners of the website and average writers doing that. We don't know for sure if they want user generated content either.

E-commerce websites with product listings and shorter reviews have taken a lot of the places.

There's a lot of unknowns. But that's SEO.

Cray
Posts: 2686
Locker Roommates
« Reply #41: December 05, 2018, 03:48:57 PM »
I didn't realize we had so many SEO, marketing, and web experts in this community.

Figured I'd chime in as an almost nine-year member of this community. Admittedly saddened by the recent developments, but can't say I fault the transition, Roar, Tommy, or anyone else. I also won't throw blame at Google over the adjustment of their search algorithms. Although I've always stood by the mission of this site to make available unbiased reviews of supplements, the fact is there are many reviews here that are utterly slanted, contain inaccurate research and poor advice, and have more grammatical and syntax errors than an essay from a third-grader. And this is arguably one of the BETTER sites for this type of information; at least the reviews aren't straight up fabricated.

So all in all did it make sense for Google to tighten restrictions on health websites? Yes. I would say it did.

I'll miss the Trooper program. Getting free supplements was awesome. And while I don't 100% agree with all the decisions made with the site since the transition, I can understand from an operational and business perspective that the functionality and structure of the site needs to change dramatically if it is to remain alive. It is unfortunate that the answer of HOW to change remains unclear.

I have some experience in web marketing and SEO, though am nowhere near an expert on the subject. What I have to think would be beneficial would be to analyze health/supplement sites that are NOT seeing the same degree of drop in web traffic. Are there any? If not, what health-related sites are surviving? Just vendors and retailers? Research-based sites like examine.com?

I would think that information would assist in deciding how best to pivot. What if SR was spun into a factual site that analyzed supplements' ingredient profiles against recommended ingredient dosages and evaluated products purely based on that information? What if reviewers were professionally licensed in some regard? NASM or ACE or something along those lines? And I would think it goes without saying that video is king, and long text blocks are not going to capture the attention of the masses. Doesn't mean they don't have a place on the site... but there has to be a way to leverage other mediums.

There's my two cents. I'll still be lingering on SR in the background for now. If I can continue to support the site in same way - fantastic. And if not, it was a blast and I am thankful for all this site provided me these past nine years.

The creator of HSB and forever a Bro. RIP T2K.

"Better to die on your feet than live on your knees." - Courage Wolf
"Don't be a hoe, do some research bro." - Mooselini

« Reply #42: December 07, 2018, 09:13:05 AM »

This is the internet, everyone is an expert about everything.

Which funnily enough is what the google update is all about. They don't want self-proclaimed health experts giving out health advice.

Some good points there Cray.

Everyday we're looking at other health sites to see what they're doing and what is ranking. It's a constant learning process.

Examine looks to have taken a hit as well. So have other similar sites.

We're still looking at different options. A trust pilot for supplement brands is an option, cash back websites are very successful. There's a few things that we could do that doesn't involve us directly giving out health advice.

admin2
Posts: 17
« Reply #43: December 08, 2018, 10:43:20 AM »
Examine looks to have taken a hit as well. So have other similar sites.

This is what's crazy to me.  Examine is like the pinnacle of research and science when it comes to supplements.  No hype, no broscience, just summaries of studies and whatnot...

« Reply #44: December 09, 2018, 03:48:45 AM »
Just checked on Semrush, examine looks to have taken a similar hit to SR.

So Tommy. Now that you know more. What should we do? Would you still carry on with the site in its current form?

We are leaning towards relaunching with supplement brand reviews. Google doesn't seem to have a problem with brands.

Sign up or Log in to post a reply.

Copyright © 2018 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.