Forum

The new SR - Your ideas

Read 1840 times

mhseaver670
Rep: +6,679
Trust: 100%
Locker Roommates
« Reply #15: November 29, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »
I think the buttheads that have claimed more than three products and simply disappear should be removed from the trooper program. Simple as that.  That are crooks in my eyes
Maybe you should TRAIN as hard as you HATE.

"Getting stuck isn't always an option but staying stuck is!" - Cam

ccoward
Rep: +585
« Reply #16: November 30, 2018, 10:37:41 AM »
I really like the idea of point system for the TROOPer program.  I do think we should allow 1 product to be "claimed" without having enough points in a similar way it is today, but limit it to 1 a month, or something like that along with claiming with bounty points.

Zsteinf
Rep: +1,378
« Reply #17: November 30, 2018, 08:31:52 PM »
I agree with workoutguru.  His info is below.  I don't know of forcing people to buy products is the way to go.  I have done a lot of reviews and I really enjoy doing it because I'm trying products I would never of tried before. I never did the bounty because my points never got high enough. I personally can not afford to spend $60 on a vegan protein (just did a review on this one) just to get points. I fully understand what you are wanting to do but it does have some problems.  Also, when something came available that I really wanted I had to wait.  I would set it on my calendar to go off as soon as it was ready for me but when I got on, it was gone.

I'm like @workoutguru and I start mine when I get it and write a review or mark completed when it's done or maybe 1 to 2 servings left. We get this for free and I want to honor those companies for letting me use it.  I do not write a product great just because it was free. I want to do what is right and rating it fairly, good or bad, is what I do.  I also try my best to not get 2 or 3 of the same product because if you are doing 2 at the same time, you are not giving a good review.

I know this may not be helpful but I'm just listing my thoughts, frustrations, and hoping for the best thing.  I'm asking to not take away the current program to get products.  Maybe just tweak it some.

workoutguru 
Rep: +5,709
[+ Rep]

Locker Roommates

« Reply #10: November 28, 2018, 11:37:46 AM »

I really like the trooper program a lot. Because of that I have been able to try a lot of products I never thought I would ever have used. I know myself I have claimed a lot of products on there. When I claimed a product on there I try to start it as soon as I get it and when I was done I would always do a review for it right away. I am really good that when I claim a product I always do a review for it. I think that is pretty bad when some people would claim products and never do their part and post a review for it. When I write my reviews I always try to be as straight forward and an honest when writing them. If I like the product you will know and if I did not like it you will know that part also in my reviews. Just because I get something for free did not change how I do my review in hopes I could maybe get more free stuff. 

I do think having this trooper program is really good to help companies out by getting reviews posted for their products. I know I have had to look at some products on here first to see if there were any reviews and how this product was before I would decide if I wanted to get it or not. No matter if the product I am reviewing was from the trooper list or not I will always do a review for that product I am using.  It's the few people on here that have claimed products and never held up their end by doing reviews for it and just bailed which has really ruined this part a lot.  

Zsteinf
« Reply #18: November 30, 2018, 08:47:53 PM »
One other thing. I did a review on a bounty item that had not been reviewed before (an item I purchased) and it was marked as 3000 bounty points but I only got 100.  It would have been 4500 bounty points to get it from SR.

RoarRob
Rep: +1
Trust: 0%
Admins
« Reply #19: December 01, 2018, 04:00:14 AM »
This site has been going for 12 years and we don't have that many active reviewers or that many brands that submit products.

So, why doesn't such an old site have more activity on it?

That's what we are looking at.

Yelp, trustpilot, reevoo etc. Are not complicated. You don't have to leave a long and detailed review.

To grow, we've got to appeal to the masses. The casual supplement buyer and the more serious buyers.

We can still be trustworthy if we accept shorter reviews. Reevoo partner with e-commerce companies, only real customers that have been invited by reevoo can leave a review.

The trooper program might be reintroduced but it won't be in the first version of the new site. There's a lot of functionality to build for that.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 08:28:03 AM by RoarRob »

Zsteinf
« Reply #20: December 01, 2018, 07:13:28 AM »
I definitely agree with the shorter, to the point review. When I first started doing reviews, I got an email from SR wanting my thoughts about the reviews.  I told them it was to long and to much info.  My view was that you have a short amount of time to grab someone's attention and get the point across. When I read some of these reviews (especially on protein supplements), I will only read intro, taste (not mixability or dosing), side effects and conclusion. The other stuff is just filler. Some products need more info, like testosterone boosters, but not a break down of every single item. We need a way to stay trustworthy, fair, educated, and insightful but not long winded.

My thought is get rid of all the stuff you can get off the tub. I hate writing about dosing, price, mixability, and parts of intro (things like my age, how long I've been working out, thank you-i figure they already know we are thankful, etc...) and effectiveness (I don't need to know the effectiveness of protein powder).

Keep things like taste, side effects, effectiveness when it comes to things like testosterone boosters, PWO, and conclusion.  The one thing I do highly recommend is writing.  Make sure things are spelled right, written well, etc... (this may not be well writen (spelling joke) but this is not a review). I hate reading reviews on other sites and they are written very badly. Makes me fill the reviewer is not educated so the review is not worthy.

These are just some of my thoughts, not that it's worth much.

RoarRob
Admins
« Reply #21: December 01, 2018, 10:17:37 AM »
You've made some good points there Zsteinf. We don't want to be writing content just for the sake of it.

Remember guys this isn't about ripping apart the site and the work that Tommy has done.
What he did was great and it was very effective at the time.

It's about keeping up with the times and looking at what we can do to ensure it's a success and beneficial for all involved in the future.

WarMachine
Rep: +8,079
Locker Roommates
« Reply #22: December 01, 2018, 11:59:35 AM »
If reviewers prefer shorter more straight-to-the-point reviews, perhaps we should consider trying some video reviews.  In other words, vids of ourselves discussing our experience with the product.
Any human can train with iron, but it takes a machine to destroy the iron

You don't need to be an ABSOLUTE FREAK in order to be strong, you need to work ABSOLUTELY FREAKING hard to become strong

Embrace the hate from others and make that your power to achieve the gains you love

WarMachine
Rep: +8,079
Locker Roommates
« Reply #23: December 01, 2018, 12:00:00 PM »
In addition to text of course
Any human can train with iron, but it takes a machine to destroy the iron

You don't need to be an ABSOLUTE FREAK in order to be strong, you need to work ABSOLUTELY FREAKING hard to become strong

Embrace the hate from others and make that your power to achieve the gains you love

dmf8625
Rep: +1,924
« Reply #24: December 01, 2018, 03:57:15 PM »
I think without the TROOPer program, there will not be that many reviews of different or unique products on the site. As others have said, this program allows us to try and honestly review products that we probably would not have done if we had to pay retail price for or would have even known about. Many of us have our favorites for each product category and when it comes to spending our hard earned money, how many are going to take a chance on an unknown supplement when proven products are available? There would have to be some great incentive to risk $40 to $60 and 30 days or more of our time to buy something unique just to post a review on this site.

Zsteinf
« Reply #25: December 01, 2018, 04:13:24 PM »
100% agreement with @dmf8625

McGilla
Rep: +1,283
Locker Roommates
« Reply #26: December 01, 2018, 06:01:27 PM »
Some of these responses sadden me. The idea that SR wouldn't succeed without giving out copious amounts of free poo is a fallacy. Just because an overwhelming majority of the posters pre-"free poo" are gone, doesnt mean it didn't happen. Honestly the community was better back then. The forums were more alive, companies would participate everywhere. Then the TROOPer program came along and most of the vets and...all?...of the companies stopped interacting.

dmf8625
Rep: +1,924
« Reply #27: December 01, 2018, 08:44:56 PM »
One of the main marketing points I saw on social media posts made by I'm assuming Clipper was "want to get free supplements?  Sign up on SR.com to become a TROOPer"

If you take that away, new people may wonder what's the point of joining and submitting reviews. Free stuff is a great motivator for a good portion of the public.  If the site wants new and unique reviews,  there needs to be a reduction in risk for those worried about wasting their money and time on something new. 

Sad or not,  that appears to be the direction we are pointed. Most are probably much busier than they were a few years ago so without incentive to post,  people will find other things to do with their time.  That hurts the community but choices have to be made on how to spend your 24 hours.

deBruijn
Rep: +565
« Reply #28: December 02, 2018, 12:59:40 AM »
I am glad to see Rob is putting effort in participating and genuinly seems interested in input from Troopers. To be perfectst honest I was under the impression SR was dead and buried with all the functionality disappearing and no response. I read this post and like the way this is developing.
The extensive reviews are supposed to put people of from writing short, uninterested reviews and claiming free stuff. With a proof of purchase I do think a review can be a bit shorter.
In addition to the free stuff discussion. As a non US trooper the amount of products that could be claimed was really small. I think a lot of people are here to give an honest review and participate. Free supps are not their main goal. At least mine wasn’t. To bring in a lot of reviews, some sort of bonus system Will definitely bring a lot more Traffic and reviews.

RoarRob
Admins
« Reply #29: December 02, 2018, 03:43:43 AM »
The long reviews limit who can participate with SR. Not many people want to take the time to write such an informative review.
Some people are not capable of writing long reviews but they could still add value to the website in different ways.

I can understand the requirements being different if you've claimed a product from the Trooper program. A brand giving out a product should get a longer review.

The reviews are one important element that we're looking at. More importantly, we've got to look at what Google wants. Without them on our side, no one will see the reviews.

We've also got to try to get as many brands on board. Their involvement is also key to the success of the site. The more they interact and link to us, the stronger the site becomes.

We've got to build a new site for these 3 key elements. It's not an easy task.

Copyright © 2018 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.