The new SR - Your ideas

Read 1608 times

The new SR - Your ideas « : November 27, 2018, 10:54:21 AM »
Hi guys,

As we explained in this thread https://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=36099.0 We've currently got things on hold while we analyze the website and put a plan together for a new version of SR.

We'd like to hear your thoughts about what you'd like to see in the new version.

We're closely looking at the Trooper program to see if it's actually worth it. We may move to a pure bounty points system, you'd probably get more points that you did previously for posting reviews. With those points you'd have a large number of prizes that you could claim.

What issues were you seeing with the Trooper program? How often did SR have the brands and the products that you want on there? when they did, were those hot products being claimed quickly, before you had a chance?

We noticed a lot of undesirable products that had been sat in the vault for a while.

We'd also like to verify that someone has actually used the product that hasn't come through the Trooper program. There's a couple of ways that we could do that, we could ask them to submit a picture of the product with their username written down on a piece of paper next to it or they could submit the invoice from the store they bought it from.

Each review would be marked as a verified purchase or unverified. Submitting a verified review would get you more points, unverified would be less. There may be a limit on the number of unverified reviews that people could leave.

We also think that it would be useful to be able to leave reviews about a brand or eCommerce store. What the ordering process was like, how quickly they got your order out, their customer service etc. A bit like Trustpilot.

If you bought an item from a store, you'd be able to leave two reviews, one for the company and one for the product, you'd get two lots of points.

These are just ideas that we're looking at. We'd like to hear your feedback and your ideas.

Rob

aleexz
Posts: 88
« Reply #1: November 27, 2018, 11:30:01 AM »
The verified/unverified purchase thing looks good. That also brings the next question, what is going to happen to the current reviews? Will they be removed?. Also, undesirable and non-redeemed products are bound to happen, while I agree those businesses should get reviews done about their products I also understand people don't want to claim underdosed crap, but that isn't our fault; we are not the ones that make or design them after all, we know what is good and what is not good and that should send a clear message to the companies. On the other hand, the "How often did SR have the brands and the products that you want on there?" is not really a suitable question, while we want "famous" companies to participate we should not be expecting them to do so, this is not a pick-your-favorite-product-for free website after all.

Reviewing stores seems fine but it would also bring unwanted reviews just to inflate their score so we would definitely have to keep an eye on that.

Another question comes to my mind, what is going to happen to European/Australian/Non-American reviewers? I understand how and why the system worked because most companies were American and unless we paid shipping they wouldn't be able to ship them out for us, which I totally understand. I am grateful that thanks to the bounty program both Tom and Clipper were able to send me some products to review even if was not an American resident but I'm interested in seeing how things would work out now since there are some retailers that ship products worldwide, customs-free and at low cost.
summer's mine

« Reply #2: November 27, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »
Like I said previously. We don't know what parts of the site we can and can't keep. That will be down to what we think Google has taken a disliking to. We're still analyzing and testing.

For the points and prizes system. You'd be able to choose prizes based on your location.

dmf8625
Posts: 259
« Reply #3: November 27, 2018, 01:02:00 PM »
In regards to the undesirable products that sat in the TROOPer vault for a while, maybe there could be a comment section for those items that people could leave feedback about the product and why they would not choose to claim it.

A couple times for me, I claimed some of the older products from the vault but they ended up getting auto-cancelled because of non-shipment. It's like the reps forgot about the site and the notifications were either deleted or went to their spam folder.

« Reply #4: November 27, 2018, 01:34:16 PM »
If we did keep the trooper program open. We could set a time limit for them to be claimed. If no one has claimed that product within a certain amount of days then it's automatically taken off.

admin2
Posts: 17
« Reply #5: November 27, 2018, 06:50:20 PM »

That's the way we had it originally.  Opportunities were only featured for a few days - I think 4.  The reason we did the vault is because some companies would just re-post their products over and over again.  Also, there were times that a TROOPer would be in the middle of a similar product, and still were interested in the other product, but had to wait a few weeks to finish their current product before claiming the new one.

mhseaver670
Posts: 7798
« Reply #6: November 27, 2018, 11:45:47 PM »
I like this thread
Maybe you should TRAIN as hard as you HATE.

"Getting stuck isn't always an option but staying stuck is!" - Cam

« Reply #7: November 28, 2018, 05:22:01 AM »
To kick start SR and get it going again, we need to be as simple and streamlined as possible. If a new visitor comes to the homepage, within seconds we want them to be able to see what the website is about and what it offers:

Unbiased, real user supplement reviews

Write reviews to earn points, exchange your points for supplements and gym clothing

We want to explain how the whole website works in no more than a few paragraphs.

To start with we keep it as simple as possible, that cuts down any confusion, cuts down the support requests, increasing the number of people than will participate.

There are issues with the Trooper program. People complaining the brands or not sending out their product or they're taking too long to send it out, brands complaining that the Troopers are not leaving reviews. That all needs manning, as well as checking the review submissions.

It may be something that we look to reintroduce once we've got going again. It would need some careful planning to make the Trooper program as streamlined as possible.

McGilla
Posts: 974
« Reply #8: November 28, 2018, 07:29:11 AM »
Hi guys,

Rob

I like where you are heading with this Rob. The turn this website took, in incentivizing quantity over quality and letting people just grab loads of products at the same time, taking opportunities from people who were legit and not just mooches, was when I decided to tap out of here. I believe I pointed out one, we'll be nice and call them a "power user", who had something like 3 PWOs all running at the same time and yet, somehow they pumped out timely reviews. I broke it down and they were taking something like 2.5-3 servings EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. for the numbers to make sense. It's clear that person was simply taking the products and stashing them or selling them for profit. Even after pointing this out, it continued to happen. The idea of needing to provide proof that the product has been used is great. I also wholeheartedly agree with making the entire system a "bounty" system, where you can't simply steal...I mean, "claim"...10 products at a time, you need to actually earn the freebies.

« Reply #9: November 28, 2018, 10:09:06 AM »
Thanks for the input McGilla, that's useful.

With the Trooper program there is no way to know if they've actually used the product.

If we verify purchases then it's more likely that they have used it. Most people use the things that they've actually paid money for.

I also think that when someone hits the website and sees that the reviewers are getting free products that they're more inclined to leave positive reviews. With a points system, they would get the same amount of points whether its positive or negative.

workoutguru
Posts: 2350
« Reply #10: November 28, 2018, 11:37:46 AM »
I really like the trooper program a lot. Because of that I have been able to try a lot of products I never thought I would ever have used. I know myself I have claimed a lot of products on there. When I claimed a product on there I try to start it as soon as I get it and when I was done I would always do a review for it right away. I am really good that when I claim a product I always do a review for it. I think that is pretty bad when some people would claim products and never do their part and post a review for it. When I write my reviews I always try to be as straight forward and an honest when writing them. If I like the product you will know and if I did not like it you will know that part also in my reviews. Just because I get something for free did not change how I do my review in hopes I could maybe get more free stuff.

I do think having this trooper program is really good to help companies out by getting reviews posted for their products. I know I have had to look at some products on here first to see if there were any reviews and how this product was before I would decide if I wanted to get it or not. No matter if the product I am reviewing was from the trooper list or not I will always do a review for that product I am using.  It's the few people on here that have claimed products and never held up their end by doing reviews for it and just bailed which has really ruined this part a lot.

Right now I have three products from the trooper list I had claimed and need to do reviews for when I am done with them. I also have 4 products sent to me from this one company that I said I would do a review for in exchange for sending me them to try. Also I have 1 product each from two different companies I got sent to me to review. So right now I have a total of 9 products I need to do reviews for and can't do any of them since we can't post any reviews on here right now. I don't like this and feel bad for these companies I reached out to personal to help them out and can't do reviews for their products on here right now and hold up my end of the deal.
There will be PAIN there will be SUFFERING but where OTHERS FALL I will continue TO RISE.

« Reply #11: November 28, 2018, 01:02:49 PM »
How do we keep the Trooper program very simple, reduce the abuse, ensure brands stay active and reduce the management time?

McGilla
Posts: 974
« Reply #12: November 28, 2018, 01:52:32 PM »

Honestly, you're on the right track with making it a point system and not just "grab poo from the treasure chest", which encourages greed. Even if you make it five "non troop" reviews for ONE free product, that's a great incentive. It's also fair to everyone because you don't have a jackoff thief sticking their hand in there and grabbing ten products at a time, before you can. That was the biggest issue with this what I call "Pokescore" that SR had. That jackoff could have been a higher level than me and swooped in literally every single time before I had a chance because they had a higher Pokescore. It did nothing but encourage the nefarious behavior and punished the legit reviewers who were not stealing and putting up basically fake reviews. Making it basically an arcade system where you trade in your tickets for a toy pony is fair. Once that guy gets his pony, you get to pick your own toy. He doesn't get to pick ten ponys before you every time.

« Reply #13: November 28, 2018, 03:53:14 PM »
The Trooper program by it's very nature will always have problems. It's difficult to make it an even playing field.

Another idea we've got is to give you big discounts on supplements. We may be able to partner with certain brands where we take little or no affiliate commission and give you that full discount instead.

Whatever we do. It's got to be very simple and be able to scale easily.

dmf8625
Posts: 259
« Reply #14: November 28, 2018, 11:00:41 PM »
I think what Tommy did by reducing the number of TROOPer products that can be claimed based on your level after we had a call-out of a few individuals helped the program. Also by limiting the number of products from a certain category that can be claimed during a certain period of time was a good move IMO.

This may not be a popular opinion but I think the TROOPer program could be tightened down even more when it comes to claiming limits and levels. This would discourage more negative behavior and hopefully provide more confidence to the participating brands knowing people won't be claiming and running 10 products at a time and their review possibly being short-changed or forgotten.

Sign up or Log in to post a reply.

Copyright © 2018 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.