Remember Me

How-to Guides and Articles

Forum

High reps vs low reps? I still don't know which is better for me

Read 264 times

josipovicp
Rep: +69
Trust: 60%
If I am trying to gain weight/size more than strength what is the best training style? I lift weights 4 days a week, box everyday, eat 5-6 meals daily, I have high metabolism so I struggle to gain weight.

High vs low reps
Heavy vs light weight
# of sets
Types of weight lifting exercises (compound vs isolated)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 10:24:32 AM by josipovicp »

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

Stevenz
Rep: +145
Trust: 80%
« Reply #1: November 16, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »
I would recommend a combination of high and low reps. When going low go with heavy weight and when going high use lighter weight. Everyone’s body is different and bodies like to adapt. I feel the most benefit when I change my rep ranges every couple weeks so I don’t adapt to one way of training. Compound movements will help with muscle size since you are able to overload the muscle more but accessory exercises will also help when added in. Overall there is not one particular way to guarantee muscle gain. Stay in the gym, push yourself,  and experiment with your own body! Many factors can change the way you personally respond like muscle fiber dominance, etc.
Get comfortable with being uncomfortable

Jags70
Rep: +226
Trust: 100%
« Reply #2: November 27, 2018, 10:01:24 AM »
Since you're boxing every day I'd go heavier weights with low reps and make sure to get a lot of calories in.

deumcole
Rep: +4,740
Trust: 100%
Locker Roommates
« Reply #3: November 29, 2018, 12:17:30 PM »
Hypertrophy is typically around 300-400 reps total for a muscle group, legs can handle around 400-600 total reps. The load should be challenging, not debilitating. So, when I program a "chest" day, I shoot for at least 300 total reps performed for the day. Yesterday I had a group run through a leg day that had them perform 800 reps, from mostly compound movements. In general, I'll only count reps performed during working sets to the running totals for the day.

Big compound lifts are great for strength and size, but the caveat to all of this is your boxing. That's going to burn a lot of calories, so you need to be stuffing your face with food as often as possible.

There are other training considerations you would have to respect, such as being careful in how you train your shoulders & chest. Joe De Franco would be a great resource in determining which exercises to perform, as he deals mostly with athletes. I would look at and try every single shoulder exercise he demonstrates, as they're all meant for athletes ranging from professional wrestlers to pro football players to even MMA fighters.

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
- Thomas Jefferson

Violence, is forever.
Your silence, forced this war.

SDS1582
Rep: +123
Trust: 80%
« Reply #4: November 30, 2018, 10:18:01 AM »
Maybe this is the "right" or "wrong" way, but I just go by how my body feels, how my muscles feel.  I have target reps and weights in mind but I just see how things go and don't focus as much on hitting a certain # of reps or weight but moreso on quality reps with the best form I can do.  I used to really be obsessed with all the numbers and I would do a specific # of reps at specific weights and increase at set amounts then stop, no matter how good or bad I felt.  For me (and everyone is different of course) somewhere right in the middle between sticking with set numbers and "going with the flow" works best.

Copyright © 2018 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.