How-to Guides and Articles

Forum

New personal trainer ideas for helping client

Read 4143 times

Tlifter
Rep: +12
Trust: 21%
Locker Roommates
New personal trainer ideas for helping client « : October 31, 2018, 11:09:21 PM »
I am new to personal training and I'm loving it, but I recently started working with a client who is a great person, already knows a lot, and I want to help her. To give some basic biographical info, I am guessing she is around 40, she has a kid, and is very fit and active. The reason I am posting this is if some people can help me brainstorm/give suggestions. She wants to strengthen her hips, but does not want to do squats nor deadlifts because she doesn't want to work her legs. She doesn't want to gain muscle on her legs. She loves doing hip thrusts and asked me today if we can start with those next time, but other than hip thrusts, glute bridges, hip adductor and abductor machines, and band work, I don't know what to do with her and the gym I work at doesn't have any bands. I would have to bring mine from home and I suspect it would be too easy for her. I have never personally done direct hip work except for occasionally using the hip adductor/abductor machines. I think she is really selling herself short by not wanting to do squats and deadlifts, but as her trainer I need to give her the results she wants. I think it would be good if she can do another exercise or 2 that she can load heavy like the hip thrusts. Any suggestions? Thank you!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 11:12:34 PM by Tlifter »

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

dmf8625
Rep: +2,020
Trust: 100%
« Reply #1: November 01, 2018, 02:03:55 AM »
Saying that she does not want to gain muscle on her legs makes me think there is a deeper back story and also makes me wonder why she would seek a personal trainer if her goals are focused solely on one part of her body. Being as legs are 50%+ of a person's body, I would have a frank conversation with her and try to get more information about what she is really after. How does she define "results"? Being able to progressively hip thrust more weight? Does she want her hips to be smaller? Wider? More toned? Is her goal strength or aesthetics?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 02:07:02 AM by dmf8625 »

bctuthill
Rep: +2,134
Locker Roommates
« Reply #2: November 01, 2018, 11:53:53 AM »
Does she understand that glute bridges and hip thrusts activate her glutes and hamstrings heavily?  How would deadlifts be different?  I wonder if she simply wants to avoid having overly muscular quads.  Either way I think you need to own the situation and guide her more firmly.  Don't be afraid to walk away from a client.  If you're trying to work in a restricted box of what they consider acceptable but you know there are better options, you're inevitably setting yourself up for failure if you don't push back. (IMO)

Tlifter
Locker Roommates
« Reply #3: November 01, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »
Saying that she does not want to gain muscle on her legs makes me think there is a deeper back story and also makes me wonder why she would seek a personal trainer if her goals are focused solely on one part of her body. Being as legs are 50%+ of a person's body, I would have a frank conversation with her and try to get more information about what she is really after. How does she define "results"? Being able to progressively hip thrust more weight? Does she want her hips to be smaller? Wider? More toned? Is her goal strength or aesthetics?

I didn't think it was important to mention, but the backstory is she is Chinese. My wife who is also Chinese told me that it is currently a sign of beauty for Chinese women to have strong shapely hips, but toothpick sized legs and upper body. Her goals apparently seem to be strength because at the end of our last session, she asked if we can do 6 rep sets so she can add more weight. She has experience sumo deadlifting and she has even done Zercher Squats, but forgot the name. It has been confusing me how if she has these experiences and knowledge of exercises, she chooses to avoid them. Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 01:54:34 PM by Tlifter »

Tlifter
Locker Roommates
« Reply #4: November 01, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »
Does she understand that glute bridges and hip thrusts activate her glutes and hamstrings heavily?  How would deadlifts be different?  I wonder if she simply wants to avoid having overly muscular quads.  Either way I think you need to own the situation and guide her more firmly.  Don't be afraid to walk away from a client.  If you're trying to work in a restricted box of what they consider acceptable but you know there are better options, you're inevitably setting yourself up for failure if you don't push back. (IMO)

I will mention to her that the Hip Thrusts and Glute Bridges work the Hamstrings. She doesn't want muscular legs as I said in the previous response about her being Chinese. She asked if we can do Hip Thrusts first next time. I agreed to that and said we won't squat again because she seemed extremely against that (my favorite lift and in my opinion only beaten by the deadlift in best exercise), but I will insist on doing Sumo Deadlifts after the Hip Thrusts even though it is better to do them before.
I would be willing to walk away from a client, but my gym has so many trainers that it is hard to have a lot of clients at first. The only trainers with many consistent clients are ones who have been there for around a year. I have been a trainer for around 3 months. Thank you.

dmf8625
« Reply #5: November 01, 2018, 11:23:58 PM »
This sounds like the opposite of those people who are looking for "spot reduction" training; but she is seeking "spot addition" exercises. To me, it sounds like she is somewhat knowledgeable about training and has realized that "spot addition" to her hips is not really possible without other parts of her lower body growing at the same time. Instead of accepting that her goals are somewhat unattainable and the size of her hip area is likely largely determined by genetics, she decided to hire a personal trainer thinking you have the "secrets" that she needs to reach her goals.

I'm not a personal trainer nor have I studied much about the body but is there a specific "hip muscle"? I have always thought of the hips as being a bone or area of the body made up by various other muscle groups (the glutes, hamstrings and quads).

Tlifter
Locker Roommates
« Reply #6: November 02, 2018, 12:38:45 AM »
This sounds like the opposite of those people who are looking for "spot reduction" training; but she is seeking "spot addition" exercises. To me, it sounds like she is somewhat knowledgeable about training and has realized that "spot addition" to her hips is not really possible without other parts of her lower body growing at the same time. Instead of accepting that her goals are somewhat unattainable and the size of her hip area is likely largely determined by genetics, she decided to hire a personal trainer thinking you have the "secrets" that she needs to reach her goals.

I'm not a personal trainer nor have I studied much about the body but is there a specific "hip muscle"? I have always thought of the hips as being a bone or area of the body made up by various other muscle groups (the glutes, hamstrings and quads).

I didn't think of it as basically the opposite of spot reduction training. That's a good analogy. The hips are the bones, but there are many muscles large and small that keep the hips in alignment and move.

bctuthill
Rep: +2,134
Locker Roommates
« Reply #7: November 02, 2018, 04:28:06 AM »
She basically wants to make her hip abductors bulkier and her calves skinny- or quads too? I'd say get therabands for her to put around her ankles and do straight leg abductions either standing or laying on her side, in addition to the machines.

Tlifter
Locker Roommates
« Reply #8: November 02, 2018, 10:18:53 AM »
She basically wants to make her hip abductors bulkier and her calves skinny- or quads too? I'd say get therabands for her to put around her ankles and do straight leg abductions either standing or laying on her side, in addition to the machines.

I think that's part of it, but she seems more interested in hip strength since she asked if next time we can work in the 6 rep range.

dmf8625
« Reply #9: November 08, 2018, 05:54:27 PM »
How's everything going with this client now? Any change in her mindset?

Tlifter
Locker Roommates
« Reply #10: November 17, 2018, 11:13:56 PM »
How's everything going with this client now? Any change in her mindset?

Thank you for asking. Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. For some reason the email notification ended up in my spam so I didn't see it until now when I was looking for another email. She has been more open to deadlifting, but the problem is her legs are weak. I meet with her for an hour twice a week and the only round plates the gym has are the 45lbs so I have started doing a push/pull/hips routine with her. I know that sounds odd, but she really likes getting her 1RM on her Hip Thrusts up and she has made progress. We start each session with Hip Thrusts then an exercise or 2 to help it get stronger that I choose during that session to keep things fun for both of us. Since I Powerlift I put myself into that mindset to get her Hip Thrust 1RM up and that's fun. I know Hip Thrusts are not a big movement like the big 3 so it seems a little odd to do this, but its what she wants and I love seeing her get PRs. After that 1 day we do a vertical pull and vertical push and another day we do a horizontal pull and horizontal push. I sometimes challenge her upper body and sometimes I keep it easy for her because she doesn't want to gain muscle on her upper body so I focus on her having just general health/fitness in her upper body. She wants toothpick legs so the closest we have gotten to her legs is hip adduction and abduction machines. I might try to convince her to do some leg exercises, but things are going well at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 11:19:50 PM by Tlifter »

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!