Forum

My getting back to strength routine

Read 3432 times

Tlifter
Rep: +12
Trust: 21%
Locker Roommates
My getting back to strength routine « : July 28, 2018, 09:10:36 PM »
 I'm creating this because I want to share it and I think it will be fun to journal it and see what if any noticeable results I get. I had to take some time off for many reasons. First work, then health, then health again, but I'm back to lifting. I have tried StrongLifts and Starting Strength. They are both great and both work, but I have gotten sick of routines that have you doing 5s, 5s, and more 5s and I have been so tunnel focused on strength in the past that I never tried to be creative. So I created a 7 week routine for myself, which covers all major rep ranges and uses the RPE 0-10 scale. After these 7 weeks then I will go on a purely strength based program. I have never used RPE training before so I have been practicing it with this routine. Before I lay it out, I want to note a few facts: 1. Its not ideal for fast strength gains and I know that, 2. I created it for myself so if someone wants to run it then they are welcome to, but I'm not putting a price tag on this so I'm not guaranteeing miracle results. I made this because I think its fun. 3. I think its pretty good at building weight acclimation for beginners, but people beyond beginner need much heavier weights.

Here is the program

I raise the weights until I get to a weight which I feel is the correct RPE and then do straight sets at that weight.

Day 1
Bench
1 Arm Dumbbell bench
Dumbbell Incline Bench
Triceps Push-downs
Face-pulls

Day 2 Squat
Squat
Back Ext
Dumbbell step-ups
Barbell bent-over rows
Planks

Day 3
Off

Day 4
Standing Barbell Overhead Press
1-Arm Dumbbell Overhead Press
Dumbbell Triceps Ext
Triceps Pull-downs
Band Pull-aparts

Day 5
Deadlift
Dumbbell Shrugs
RDL
Lat Pull-downs
Hanging Knee Raises
Russian Twist

Days 6 and 7
Off

Week 1 RPE 3-4 (main lift and accessories 2x15)
Week 2 same except RPE 4-5 2x12
Week 3 RPE 5-6 3x10
Week 4 accessories stop being RPE based and just try to improve them staying at 3x10. The main lift is RPE 7-8 3x8
Week 5 RPE 8-9 3x5
Week 6 I'm still figuring it out. My original plan was to work up to a 1RM or really close with singles raising in 10% increases, but I might instead find a 3-5 RM.
Week 7 Deload lift light
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 09:15:52 PM by Tlifter »

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

Wis3guy
Rep: +3,051
Trust: 100%
Locker Roommates
« Reply #1: July 29, 2018, 04:07:52 AM »
Looks fun, I will watch for the results.

Tlifter
Locker Roommates
« Reply #2: July 29, 2018, 02:03:01 PM »
I decided to write this up when I'm 3 weeks into it. Monday will start week 4. It has been fun and I think I have been doing a good job at the RPE part. Last week's overhead press day might have been too tough for a RPE 5-6, but otherwise I think I've done pretty well. I have been pushing my OHP and squat, but the deadlift and bench press has not been pushed much. Everyone has those days when they are idiots and don't pay attention to form, whether its being tired, being stupid, or a combination of those. On week 2 I slightly strained my left pec so I have been lifting light on it to get blood to the area and doing RICE nearly every day. It feels all better now so tomorrow I'm going to push it again (double entendre intended). I have been pushing my deadlift, but focusing on form. I just retaught myself how to deadlift correctly. I was good at it a couple years ago, but since not lifting I started having horrible form. It was by far the hardest for me to learn, but something clicked these last couple weeks so I'm happy where its going. A big complaint I have with Starting Strength and StrongLifts 5x5 is the lack of deadlifting volume and frequency. 1 set isn't practice. I understand why. Its a taxing lift, but at least from my perspective you should be doing the most technical lifts more so you can learn them. Since my program is about working up to the specified RPE and then doing 2 then 3 sets at that weight, it means someone can do anywhere from 1-...20?😂 sets before getting to the correct RPE. It allows me to choose how much volume and practice I get before doing the work sets. Also starting with 15 rep sets and as the weeks go by fewer and heavier reps means lots of reps to practice.

I will give more updates as the weeks go.

On another thread someone suggested Candito's novice linear progression to me. I am strongly considering the Strength/Control or Strength/Explosive templates when I am done with this.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 02:07:03 PM by Tlifter »

Tlifter
Locker Roommates
« Reply #3: July 29, 2018, 02:47:13 PM »
Looks fun, I will watch for the results.

Thanks for showing interest.

htevans
Rep: +1,183
Locker Roommates
« Reply #4: July 29, 2018, 04:35:39 PM »
In
GWU Class of 2018

Tlifter
Locker Roommates
« Reply #5: July 31, 2018, 12:10:49 PM »
I bench pressed yesterday. I overshot the RPE I was going for. I was going for 7-8, but by the end of each of the 3x8 sets, it was more like a 10 and on my last set I only got 7 reps. As I said in an earlier post, I'm learning RPE so this was just a learning experience and I have not benched in a couple weeks since my pec was strained earlier. Along with that, part of last week and part of this week I'm training at a different gym than I am used to. I'm not trying to make excuses why I missed the rep and did a poor job will the RPE yesterday, but I think those are enough and good reasons why a workout doesn't end up how you plan.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:12:28 PM by Tlifter »

RobertMc1982
Rep: +685
Locker Roommates
« Reply #6: July 31, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »
Looks like fun, man.  Good to have you back!   
Date of profile pic: 7/13/18

Tlifter
Locker Roommates
« Reply #7: July 31, 2018, 02:06:57 PM »
Looks like fun, man.  Good to have you back!   

Thanks for the support. I'm squatting soon so I will write something later today or tomorrow about that.

Tlifter
Locker Roommates
« Reply #8: August 04, 2018, 01:19:49 AM »
I have finally found time to write an update. My squat day was okay. I didn't feel like I was pushing myself enough, but my form started breaking down. The weight didn't feel heavy though. I think I need to do more lower back work. My overhead press day was today. I did really well on my overhead press day. I pushed myself to the right RPE and I saw some clear strength gains. I pushed myself on the accessories and missed a couple reps on a couple of the accessories, but its good to push yourself. I will repeat those weights next week. I also decided that I will max out on week 6, but I might not deload all the lifts on week 7. I might find my unbelted 1RMs on the squat and deadlift because I might do them unbelted as one of the lifts in Candito's novice program. So in the program I will do them belted and unbelted, but I for sure decided to test my 1RMs on week 6 rather than 3-5RMs. I do not have the routine with me at the moment so I don't know for sure if that will work, but I think so. With the exception of doing a 6 hour drive on Tuesday, which threw off the days I workout, things have gone well so far. I am deadlifting tomorrow.

Tlifter
Locker Roommates
« Reply #9: August 05, 2018, 02:43:53 AM »
The last post was very long so sorry about that. It was covering 2 days. I deadlifted yesterday. It was a great workout. My form is finally dialed in and it was the right RPE. Before my break, I would do touch and goes. Now I am doing a rep, letting go of the bar, breath and rebrace, and repeat. I like that more.

I am going on a week long trip with my wife and in-laws on Tuesday so I will try to do my bench press day on Monday, but I will do the rest when I get back. During the trip I will probably try to do some push-ups, abs, and any other bodyweight exercises I can think of to maintain strength.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 02:54:37 AM by Tlifter »

Wis3guy
Rep: +3,051
Locker Roommates
« Reply #10: August 05, 2018, 03:43:51 AM »
Have a good trip......

Tlifter
Locker Roommates
« Reply #11: August 07, 2018, 01:37:08 AM »
Have a good trip......

Thanks. I was able to bench press yesterday and the trip is going to be slightly shorter than I planned, which is nice. I'm starting a new job as a trainer on the 16th so I really didn't want to be tired from a trip the day I start. It was a great bench press day. I was able to add 15lbs to the bar from last week, although last week I did 8 reps and this week I was supposed to do 5 reps. I ended up miscounting on my 1st work set and did 6 reps, did 5 reps on the 2nd, and could only do 4 reps on the last so even though its not the same as 3x5, its the same volume. I really felt like the weight acclimation goal of the routine showed itself today. Not to brag, but I think I did a pretty good job accomplishing that goal of the routine. I felt pretty good on the accessories. There wasn't anything great or horrible with them.

Tlifter
Locker Roommates
« Reply #12: August 14, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »
Today was the first day back to the gym for me since my trip. I squatted and then did some accessories. I did pretty well on everything. I felt pretty explosive, but not as explosive as usual, but that is understandable since I didn't squat last week. I didn't squat as much as I hoped, but I went to the gym with lower expectations for myself and at least I beat that. It was hot and pretty humid in the gym so that did not help. My gym is in a warehouse and all we have are fans to cool us down and two restrooms, which I sometimes walk into just to cooldown because they have air conditioning. I am happy my first day back was my squat day because even though it isn't my strongest lift (like most people, the deadlift is my strongest), it is the lift I am most comfortable with and enjoy the most.

My lats have been a little sore ever since my last deadlift day. I don't know why it is taking my lats so long to recover. It is not usual for them to take so long, but it was an especially heavy deadlift day for me and I hadn't deadlifted heavy in a long time. I was focusing a lot on form for the first couple weeks of the routine and less about weight for the deadlift. They did not seem to impact my squatting and I didn't feel any odd pain when I was doing barbell bent-over rows, so as long as they don't effect my deadlift this week then I don't care.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:45:32 PM by Tlifter »

Tlifter
Locker Roommates
« Reply #13: August 15, 2018, 11:56:22 PM »
Today I overhead pressed. I usually take Wednesday off and overhead press on Thursday, but that is because I usually bench press on Monday. I did my week 5 bench press before leaving on my trip though so I felt rested to overhead press today. My overhead press went better than I hoped. I saw improvement in my dumbbell triceps extensions, but the other accessories either stayed the same since last time or got weaker. Today was my last day at my current gym. I start a personal trainer job tomorrow so I do not need to pay for membership at my current gym. Everyone is very nice and supportive at my current gym so I am going to miss them, but I am sure I will meet some cool people at my new gym.

Tlifter
Locker Roommates
« Reply #14: August 18, 2018, 12:16:18 AM »
I deadlifted today. I didn't do as well as I was hoping, but my calculated 1RM was higher than last week so thats good. Maybe this week got me stronger so when I test my maxes next week, I will be successful.

I just finished my second day as a trainer and right now I am shadowing so I am figuring out what times during the day I can use to do my own workout. Based off of today, I will use my break to do my main lift and when I am done for the day I will do my accessories. I also started out my workout a little tired. I am getting used to waking up earlier than I was so sometimes I am tired during the day, but after my warm-up and a few sets, I felt pretty good.

I am testing my maxes next week.

Copyright © 2018 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved.