Forum

New Trainer Assessments Suggestions

Read 2954 times

Tlifter
Rep: +12
Trust: 21%
Locker Roommates
New Trainer Assessments Suggestions « : July 10, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »
I passed my ACE personal trainer exam a couple weeks ago and am excited to work with clients. I am starting off at one of the large gyms such as LA Fitness or 24 Hour Fitness and after a couple of years I would like to open my own gym. I had an interview, which seems promising at LA Fitness yesterday. They told me as a new trainer I will be doing the fitness assessments and then refering the clients to a more advanced trainer. The problem is that I probably passed the exam by getting just enough of the functional assessment questions correct, but moderately well on all the other parts and I don't have many people to practice on.  They asked me if I have trained any of my famiy or friends before and I said yes, but I neglected to say that it was before studying to be a trainer so I would do everything a lot different now. I think most people want to look a little better than they are during interviews.

I have been reviewing the chapter on functional assessments in the textbook, but I am having doubts that I can remember all the assessments and even the ones I can remember, I can't remember them perfectly. I know that with a few months of practice I will become much much better, but from being told about the expectations of the position, it seems like they are throwing me into the deep end of the pool right away except for a little shadowing, but I do not know if the shadowing will include the assessments or will just be other things. Does anyone have any suggestions for easily remembering (sort of like a mnemonic device) everything about the assessments? I am not ignoring the fact that I might just have a lack of confidence in my ability because I am completely new and I actually know more than I think, but I don't think that is the only thing. Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:41:21 PM by Tlifter »

Members don't see ads. Sign up for FREE to remove ads, and start earning free supplements!

Wis3guy
Rep: +3,098
Trust: 100%
Locker Roommates
« Reply #1: July 10, 2018, 05:21:30 PM »
Why memorize?  Most people I have seen have a clipboard and write numbers and info on the client.  So you could just have a paper with the order you want to do things.  They might even have a pre made sheet they want you to follow. 

Tlifter
Rep: +12
Trust: 21%
Locker Roommates
« Reply #2: July 10, 2018, 06:38:13 PM »
Why memorize?  Most people I have seen have a clipboard and write numbers and info on the client.  So you could just have a paper with the order you want to do things.  They might even have a pre made sheet they want you to follow. 

That is a good idea, but it does not solve my problem of lets say the passive leg raise assessment. That is one of the ones I know better, but not well enough. I know how to do it and one thing to look for, but there is something else you should look for and what the two mean. Thats one I know better than a lot of them. I remember if the lower leg rises that means something and if the raised leg can't go to a certain degree then it means tight hamstring. I don't remember what the degrees are, which is important. I know there are many more and only a few that I know the name of and how to do them and what to look for.

Copyright © 2019 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved!